Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any way to teach Breloom drain punch in gen 6 without a gen 5 game? If not, can somebody point me in a direction I can go to just get a shroomish with drain punch from someone?

Hi, very simple question and one I feel I should know the answer to. What's the probability of a first turn wake? As in sleeping for the first turn as always and waking up on the next rather than sleeping for two turns and waking up after that.
Sleep lasts 1-3 turns, and the sleep counter (the number of turns you are afflicted with sleep) is determined when the sleep is inflicted. There are three possible counters and each has an equal probability.

So if you are slept on turn 0, you have a 33% (1/3) chance of waking on turn 1.
If you do not wake on turn 1, then you have a 50% chance of waking on turn 2.
If you do not wake on turn 2, then you have a 100% chance of waking on turn 3.

Also note that in gen6, the sleep counter is not reset when you switch out. (In previous gens, it would reset.)

Is there any way to teach Breloom drain punch in gen 6 without a gen 5 game? If not, can somebody point me in a direction I can go to just get a shroomish with drain punch from someone?
Drain Punch is an egg move for Breloom in gen6, but the only parents from which it can learn it have to themselves learn it from a gen5 move tutor. So, to answer your question... no, there is no way to get Drain Punch on Breloom without a gen5 game. I think there is a separate thread (in the wifi forums) to ask about trades.

edit: Just checked my Pokemon Bank. It seems I have a Breloom with Drain Punch. I can breed it and trade you the offspring. My FC is 0619-3532-0664.

Last edited:
I've just gotten a Naive Bagon in Wonder trade and I started to think, why are mixed attackers generally Naive instead of Hasty (? - The +Spe-Def nature) is it because of priority or is there another reason for it?

Drain Punch is an egg move for Breloom in gen6, but the only parents from which it can learn it have to themselves learn it from a gen5 move tutor. So, to answer your question... no, there is no way to get Drain Punch on Breloom without a gen5 game. I think there is a separate thread (in the wifi forums) to ask about trades.

edit: Just checked my Pokemon Bank. It seems I have a Breloom with Drain Punch. I can breed it and trade you the offspring. My FC is 0619-3532-0664.
Hey thats great! My fc is 1177-8841-2606. Is there anything simple you would want in return? The one you send me doesnt need to have anything really except that egg move.

Well, since pokebank is out, I haven't used Greninja in a while and I believe some of its moves aren't as relevant anymore as it was at the beginning besides I haven't faced any since then.
My question would be, which moves shall I consider putting on Timid/Naive Greninja and why?...I guess Hydro Pump is still a viable option.

Hey thats great! My fc is 1177-8841-2606. Is there anything simple you would want in return? The one you send me doesnt need to have anything really except that egg move.
Okay. I added your FC. No, I don't need anything in return. I have a full pokedex and multiples of each item, including mega stones. The only things I would need are certain moves from gen5, but I already know you can't get those. =)
I'll be signed on for the next few hours (until about 6am eastern time). So just start a trade if you see me on.

I put markings on it for the perfect IVs: you got everything perfect except SAtk. Adamant nature and No Hidden Ability. The only other egg move that is relevant is Bullet Seed, but you can get that in gen6 from Exeggcute or Sunkern I think.

Last edited:
Well, since pokebank is out, I haven't used Greninja in a while and I believe some of its moves aren't as relevant anymore as it was at the beginning besides I haven't faced any since then.
My question would be, which moves shall I consider putting on Timid/Naive Greninja and why?...I guess Hydro Pump is still a viable option.
You got the mandatory STABs in Dark Pulse and Scald/Surf/HydroPump (Any of them can work)
Then you have Ice Beam for most Grass and Flying types.
You got U-Turn to GTFO
You got Extrasensory to screw with Mega Venu (and Fighting types in general)
Those are the main moves to consider, you also got things like Water Shuriken (Priority STAB), Toxic Spikes on a lead set, and stuff like that ^_^ (It's WAY more niche though, and is generally outclassed, still it's there.)
Edit: you could also go Hidden Power Fire for Scizor/Ferrothorn. Muh bad

So I'm wondering how good my Scolipede set is

Scolipede @ Black Sludge/Leftovers/Life Orb
Ability:Speed Boost
EVs:252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe
Nature: Adamant
Moves:
•Protect/Toxic
•Megahorn/X-Scissor
•Earthquake/Aqua Tail
•Poison Jab/Rock Slide

So far its been working but I'm not sure what counters/ checks can possibly outspeed it or if the ev spread should be changed and if the moves are good enough

So I'm wondering how good my Scolipede set is

Scolipede @ Black Sludge/Leftovers/Life Orb
Ability:Speed Boost
EVs:252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe
Nature: Adamant
Moves:
•Protect/Toxic
•Megahorn/X-Scissor
•Earthquake/Aqua Tail
•Poison Jab/Rock Slide

So far its been working but I'm not sure what counters/ checks can possibly outspeed it or if the ev spread should be changed and if the moves are good enough
I would run max speed instead of max HP. You could also add in baton pass instead of poison jab (remember that baton pass chains got nerfed). Other than that, it looks great.

Okay. I added your FC. No, I don't need anything in return. I have a full pokedex and multiples of each item, including mega stones. The only things I would need are certain moves from gen5, but I already know you can't get those. =)
I'll be signed on for the next few hours (until about 6am eastern time). So just start a trade if you see me on.

I put markings on it for the perfect IVs: you got everything perfect except SAtk. Adamant nature and No Hidden Ability. The only other egg move that is relevant is Bullet Seed, but you can get that in gen6 from Exeggcute or Sunkern I think.
Wow thanks a ton, I missed you last night I didn't stay up late enough! I have you added though and I'll be checking periodically for you to be on this forum!

What is power creep e.e I never got what it meant
It's the idea that when new Mons are introduced each generation, on average they tend to be stronger than Mons from previous generations. As a result, older generation Mons tend to have a harder time keeping up with newer Mons. One example is Swampert. In Gen 3 Swampert was a powerful OU mon. However, by Gen 5 it dropped to UU not because it somehow got worse, but because it couldn't keep up with the new Gen 5 Mons.

I have a couple questions on Speed vs. HP on M-Mawile

I've been running a SD Mawile, w/ enough speed to creep Azumarills trying to creep Scizors... lol. It's 136 speed and the remaining 120 in HP. But, it's always a toss-up whether or not I'll outspeed the opposing Azumarill.

Are there good benchmarks for how much speed is ideal on Mawile? And I'm going to switch it from SD to SubPunch... how does this change things?

About IV breeding...I used the IV breeding calculator created by smogon, I believe. (This one: http://destinyknot.tk) and made the calculations according to the pokemon I am currently breeding (6 iv ditto x 5 iv noibat in this case) to figure out my chance of obtaining a 6 IV offspring. (1 in 54 was the outcome.) However, I have faced quite a strange problem, I did not obtain a 6 IV offspring, according to the IV dude in Kiolude. (I have checked every single one of the 55 noibats I have bred twice) and apparently, nothing. What I did notice, which was odd, was that one of my noibats appears to be flawless, because I noticed the IV guy says it has every single perfect stat save for HP. But its HP at lv 1 is 12, like that of a noibat with a perfect IV in HP. For some odd reason, the IV dude isn't recognizing it as a perfect IV. I even used the serebii IV calculator to check the pokemon's IVs and it tells me that the poke's ivs are flawless. The game denies it. What should I believe? Is it a pokemon with perfect IVs? Is it a game glitch? Help is greatly appreciated.

About IV breeding...I used the IV breeding calculator created by smogon, I believe. (This one: http://destinyknot.tk) and made the calculations according to the pokemon I am currently breeding (6 iv ditto x 5 iv noibat in this case) to figure out my chance of obtaining a 6 IV offspring. (1 in 54 was the outcome.) However, I have faced quite a strange problem, I did not obtain a 6 IV offspring, according to the IV dude in Kiolude. (I have checked every single one of the 55 noibats I have bred twice) and apparently, nothing. What I did notice, which was odd, was that one of my noibats appears to be flawless, because I noticed the IV guy says it has every single perfect stat save for HP. But its HP at lv 1 is 12, like that of a noibat with a perfect IV in HP. For some odd reason, the IV dude isn't recognizing it as a perfect IV. I even used the serebii IV calculator to check the pokemon's IVs and it tells me that the poke's ivs are flawless. The game denies it. What should I believe? Is it a pokemon with perfect IVs? Is it a game glitch? Help is greatly appreciated.
Believe the game. At level 1 there is almost no difference between a perfect IV stat and an upper-ranged IV stat, so while the HP IV may be in a higher range, if the game says it's not perfect, it's not. To get a better IV estimate of a non-perfect stat, a Pokemon's level needs to be much higher usually unless the stat is something like 11 for HP or 4-5 for any other stat.

Believe the game. At level 1 there is almost no difference between a perfect IV stat and an upper-ranged IV stat, so while the HP IV may be in a higher range, if the game says it's not perfect, it's not. To get a better IV estimate of a non-perfect stat, a Pokemon's level needs to be much higher usually unless the stat is something like 11 for HP or 4-5 for any other stat.
Thanks. Still questioning why I failed to get a 6 IV offspring according to the statistic given to me by the IV calculator though :/

Thanks. Still questioning why I failed to get a 6 IV offspring according to the statistic given to me by the IV calculator though :/
Statistics are a funny thing. While you have a 1 in 54 chance of getting perfect IV's, that doesn't mean you'll get one if you breed 54 of them. The statistics say that if you breed a countably large number of them (let's say 540 of them), then approximately 1 out of every 54 will be perfect. However, if you were to breed that many, it's still possible to only get 8 or 9 instead of 10.

Statistics are a funny thing. While you have a 1 in 54 chance of getting perfect IV's, that doesn't mean you'll get one if you breed 54 of them. The statistics say that if you breed a countably large number of them (let's say 540 of them), then approximately 1 out of every 54 will be perfect. However, if you were to breed that many, it's still possible to only get 8 or 9 instead of 10.
That clears up a lot. Again, thank you.

For Crawdaunt, I'm debating running Superpower or Crabhammer on him. Superpower doesn't guarantee the OHKO on Ferrothorn (which is the main target it seems needed for), is there any other target Crawdaunt needs Superpower's coverage for?

The set I'm building currently is
Adamant nature
Life Orb
4 HP/252 Att/252 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Knock Off
- Aqua jet
- Superpower/Crabhammer

What's a Pokemon, (other than latios) who:
  • Resists Fire
  • Resists Water
  • Counter's Rotom-W
OR
  • Can Tank Heatrans Attacks
  • Can Tank Rotom-W's Attacks
Thanks in advance!

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What's a Pokemon, (other than latios) who:
  • Resists Fire
  • Resists Water
  • Counter's Rotom-W
OR
  • Can Tank Heatrans Attacks
  • Can Tank Rotom-W's Attacks
Thanks in advance!
Most Dragon types do well against Fire types, Water types and Rotom W as it resists all of these types. If you want something more defensively orientated than Latios, you can try using Latias. It can also take most of Heatrans attacks quite well.
Another possibility to take on Heatran and Rotom W is Chansey, Chansey is an extremely bulky special wall and these Pokemon have pretty much no way of breaking through it. (Outside Trickscarf from Rotom W, so watch out for that)

Most Dragon types do well against Fire types, Water types and Rotom W as it resists all of these types. If you want something more defensively orientated than Latios, you can try using Latias. It can also take most of Heatrans attacks quite well.
Another possibility to take on Heatran and Rotom W is Chansey, Chansey is an extremely bulky special wall and these Pokemon have pretty much no way of breaking through it. (Outside Trickscarf from Rotom W, so watch out for that)
Hmm.. Is there a dragon type that's viable in OU other than Latios?
(Kyurem-B doesn't work cause heatran wrecks it)

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hmm.. Is there a dragon type that's viable in OU other than Latios?
(Kyurem-B doesn't work cause heatran wrecks it)
You have Dragonite and you can try using Earth Power on Kyurem B so it can surprise Heatran. This will help your team as I assume your decently Heatran weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)