FirsTypes (Open for type change suggestions)

While you can't really argue that Mega-Gyarados should be Flying-Type over Dragon-Type, I think that we all know it fits him better. Why Dragon-Type? Everything about his Pokédex entries screams "Dark-Type" to me, not Dragon. His design doesn't look particularly draconian, no more than regular Gyarados', anyway, and its Flying-Type has tighter ties to his design. The shape of his body, while serpent-like, is also very much the shape of a wind sock. I don't care if he has draconian features, because his very body SHAPE is that of a Flying-Type, and as such he should be changed to Flying-Type too.
Actually, Gyarados (and Megados by extension) is very draconian. That is, Eastern draconian. It's in the Dragon Egg Group (and not the Flying one), and for being a wind sock, it doesn't learn a single wind-based move.

Metagross should just be pure Psychic-Type. Rock doesn't fit it. Until we get a supercomputer made out of Rock, or a robot made out of rock, it isn't good enough and doesn't fit the design.
Well, there's the Antikythera Mechanism. That's kind of a unique case though. Maybe Electric/Psychic?

Ferrothorn should become a Pure Grass type. Once again, absolutely NO ties to Rock-Type. In fact, it goes through rock in it's appearances, which is the opposite of what a Rock-Type should do lol.
Rhydon can use its horn to break through rocks, should it not be a Rock-type? Ferrothorn covered in a hard exterior, so Rock-type is the best second fit for it.

Last edited:
Some type change suggestions were heeded
Don't bother trying to change mandibuzz
Granbull is based on bulldogs which were primarily used as fighting dogs and never should have been normal type in the first place

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Some type change suggestions were heeded
Don't bother trying to change mandibuzz
Granbull is based on bulldogs which were primarily used as fighting dogs and never should have been normal type in the first place
Thank you for taking so many of my suggestions into account. One thing, though: You updated Mawile's typing in the Steel-Type Pokémon, but not in the fairies!

And your logic on Granbull still isn't great. Once again, it mainly uses it's mouth to attack with. Name one Fighting-Type attack which utilizes a mouth. There isn't one. Bite was Normal-Type in Generation 1; not Fighting. This shows how incredibly un-fighting-type Granbull is.

Granbull is incredibly timid. Timid =/= Fighter. Fighter = aggression, violence. Bulldogs are mammals, and the majority of mammals are Normal-Type (the majority of Normal-Types are mammals, too!) The whole flailing thing, too... Not Fighting-Type.

"Bulldogs, which are primarily used as fighting dogs". Oh, really? I suppose they were fighting dogs when they were first found in media in around 1500? What about this painting of a bulldog from 1790?
That doesn't really seem violent.

Bulldogs are the 5th-most common dog breed in the U.S. Are all of those fighters? Many bulldogs are born with an underbite. That doesn't seem very handy in a fight. Just like with most "violent" breeds of dogs, they are COMPLETELY misunderstood Why are bulldogs the 5th-most common dog breed in the U.S, largely owned by families? "Generally, Bulldogs are known for getting along well with children, other dogs, and pets. They can become so attached to home and family, that they will not venture out of the yard without a human companion. They are also more likely to sleep on someone's lap than chase a ball around the yard. Bulldogs are recognized as excellent family pets because of their tendency to form strong bonds with children." -- Wikipedia. Oh my God get this small dog off my lap! I think it's going to lick my child!

<-- There's a bulldog with underbite. Extremely common.

According to the American Kennel Club, the average bulldog is "equable and kind, resolute, and courageous (not vicious or aggressive)". Besides, even if the dog WAS vicious, would he be more vicious than... An overgrown rat (Raticate -- See WWI trenches), Genghis Khan mixed with a Kangaroo (Kangaskhan), monkey (Aipom line), bear (Ursaring), sloth (Slakoth line), Mongoose (Zangoose), engraged bull (Bouffalant)? And that's just the pure-normal types. Now for the angry pure Fighting-Types...

Monkey (Mankey line). That is IT. OK, dual types, then? Arguably Blaziken. Once again, that's it.

You have no arguments for Granbull now lol. Also you stopped giving arguments for Mandibuzz. Could you just go ahead and change their types now? The evidence has been posted and you've come up with nothing to counter it.

your entire argument hinges around a typo, Celever. I meant to say were. secondly, never use wikipedia as if it's a credible source. thirdly, the only two(not including pure flying) other types that were suggested as replacements for dark were ground and normal.
ground: I can't even see radio(see: dude w/ IQ of 50) being able to justify giving it this typing
normal: personally this fits just about as much as pure flying which is a preferable typing
ghost: honestly at first this was just the replacement for dark but when I started retyping it was one of the few replacemt types that actually worked on it. my first argument for it was just the bones which really is an inadequate argument. for the answer we must look at why vullaby and mandibuzz are dark type in the first place. they are based on vultures and buzzards respectively which feast on dead flesh, a very morbid ordeal. it is for this very reason that ghost fits them almost as well since you can practically call them death birds. beyond this vultures also only show up when there is a carcass for them to eat so that they practically anounce death by just existing.
on the topic of granbull: one of your points is that fightining types usually aren't filled with rage. you also bring up the undispitable fact that granbull are very timid, not angry, thereby refuting this point altogether. you also bring up comparing its personality to other pokemon of the normal and fighting types. I honestly cannot think of a single pokemon from either type excluding granbull that are timid. furthermore, the only pokemon of either type that thrashes bout when startled is primeape. you bring up mammals, let's take alook at non normal type mammals that don't have something radical like flames as a part of their design(includes being humanlike).
Arcanine: a dog. not really sure why GF made hime fire instead of fighting or fairy given his influence
Ninetales: is related to canines. being based on japanes folklore not sure why it's fire
Clefable/Wigglytuff: are fairies to the max
Primeape: a pigmonkey. already went into his behavior
Houndoom: a hellhound
Mightyena: a wolf. wolves are nocturnal and generally thought of as bad as well as dark being heavily associated with strategy a lot in pokemon
I'm just gonna stop here due to time constraints but a lot of these get their typing because of trivia as well as a coincidental fact that quite a few of them are canine/caninnea(or whatever it is).
I honestly can't find any more points that your argument rests upon so it's time for me to move on.

Celever

i am town
your entire argument hinges around a typo, Celever. I meant to say were. secondly, never use wikipedia as if it's a credible source. thirdly, the only two(not including pure flying) other types that were suggested as replacements for dark were ground and normal.
ground: I can't even see radio(see: dude w/ IQ of 50) being able to justify giving it this typing
normal: personally this fits just about as much as pure flying which is a preferable typing
ghost: honestly at first this was just the replacement for dark but when I started retyping it was one of the few replacemt types that actually worked on it. my first argument for it was just the bones which really is an inadequate argument. for the answer we must look at why vullaby and mandibuzz are dark type in the first place. they are based on vultures and buzzards respectively which feast on dead flesh, a very morbid ordeal. it is for this very reason that ghost fits them almost as well since you can practically call them death birds. beyond this vultures also only show up when there is a carcass for them to eat so that they practically anounce death by just existing.
on the topic of granbull: one of your points is that fightining types usually aren't filled with rage. you also bring up the undispitable fact that granbull are very timid, not angry, thereby refuting this point altogether. you also bring up comparing its personality to other pokemon of the normal and fighting types. I honestly cannot think of a single pokemon from either type excluding granbull that are timid. furthermore, the only pokemon of either type that thrashes bout when startled is primeape. you bring up mammals, let's take alook at non normal type mammals that don't have something radical like flames as a part of their design(includes being humanlike).
Arcanine: a dog. not really sure why GF made hime fire instead of fighting or fairy given his influence
Ninetales: is related to canines. being based on japanes folklore not sure why it's fire
Mightyena: a wolf. wolves are nocturnal and generally thought of as bad as well as dark being heavily associated with strategy a lot in pokemon
I'm just gonna stop here due to time constraints but a lot of these get their typing because of trivia as well as a coincidental fact that quite a few of them are canine/caninnea(or whatever it is).
I honestly can't find any more points that your argument rests upon so it's time for me to move on.
Sorry if this argument is stretching on too long, but the typings still do not make sense.

First of all, you used were. lol.
Second of all, Wikipedia is a credible source, and the teachers at school who tell you not to use it tell it to you to try and get you to research through methods like textbooks. Everything in Wikipedia is sourced; I only used sourced information in that post. I even checked the sources for credibility...

I agree, Pure-Flying Type is the best type for Mandibuzz. You even said it was the "preferable typing" in your above post. I thought I made it clear that I wanted Pure-Flying Type, but Ground-Type would be the next best thing, because apparently in Pokémon bones = ground. Marowak literally has its mother's skull as a part of it's body and had an incarnation of a ghost in gen 1, the generation it was introduced in, yet is NOT Ghost-Type. It is ground-type.

I don't really have much to say on Normal. It just doesn't fit a gothic character like Mandibuzz.

OK so Ghost is a thing because... they feast on dead flesh? No other Ghost-Type feasts on dead flesh. Pokémon like Glalie, Sharpedo and Kabutops do, and neither of those are Ghost-Type. Also vultures don't only show up when there's a carcass to eat... I mean, sure, they are most commonly seen while feeding, but that's only because they have an incentive to land, the same thing can be said for most other birds as well, actually. Mandibuzz is Dark-Type because it is BRUTAL. Ghost-Type Pokémon are very much playful (Ghastly line, Misdreavus line, Shuppet, Litwick line, Drifloon line, Rotom line, Sableye), vengeful (Banette, Duskull line, Spiritomb, Giratina, Frillish line, Golett line, Honedge line), or mournful (Yamask line, Phantump line, Pumpkaboo line, Shedinja).

I didn't ever say that Fighting-Types are filled with rage. By aggression I meant offensive. If a Pokémon attacks a Fighting-Type Pokémon, the Fighting-Type gets offensive and attacks back. Granbull "flails his arms wildly". Primeape doesn't flail his arms wildly, he flails his arms into karate chops etc.. While a Pokémon like Ursaring also shows aggression, it is to protect their young (CUTE TEDDIURSA). Same for Kangaskhan.

That is a select few mammals who had a better type to cover it, or don't fit the Normal-Typing well based on design. The majority of your "mammals" are based off of myths and legends, and Wigglytuff is still part normal anyway. Once again, Primeape is an exception, but even then you have to admit that Karate Chop, his signature attack (not signature as in only learned by Primeape and Mankey, but it's iconic for the Pokémon) was Normal-Type in Gen 1. Mightyena is a bashful, brutal and evil Pokémon. He fits Dark-Type better. You can't argue that Fighting-Type fits Granbull much better than Normal-Type. For example, IMO Dunsparce should be Ground-Type. It lives in caves, and is known for burying underground. But they felt that it didn't fit Dunsparce ENOUGH so they just made it Normal-Type. The same can be said for other Normal-Type Pokémon, and Granbull shouuld be included here.

There are a lot of pokemon who shoudn't be the type they are that would get changed if this were a proper petmod such as dunsparce and flygon. The point is to use actual logic in retyping the pokemon instead of GF's trollscience

Celever

i am town
There are a lot of pokemon who shoudn't be the type they are that would get changed if this were a proper petmod such as dunsparce and flygon. The point is to use actual logic in retyping the pokemon instead of GF's trollscience
But this is a Pokemon mod. Are you seriously suggesting that you would change every Pokemon related to death or bones to Ghost-Type given eh opportunity? Bone Club becoming Ghost-Type move. Every Pokemon who looks even slightly violent becoming Fighting-Type? It quite simply makes sense to have Mandibuzz Pure-Flying and Granbull Pure-Normal. Of course, Dark and Fairy fit the two Pokemon perfectly, but there's not opportunity for that here, so this is the next best thing.

Actually, these examples prove Celever's and my point even further. Most of the Pokemon above have obvious justifications for their typings (Mightyena's a hyena, not a wolf, by the way). Granbull lacks any such justification for being a Fighting-type. Meanwhile, the facts that it was Normal-type before (which is plenty by itself), that there are a lot of Normal-type mammals, and that your own rule makes Fairy-type moves Normal mean that Normal-type is much more fitting.

Actually, these examples prove Celever's and my point even further. Most of the Pokemon above have obvious justifications for their typings (Mightyena's a hyena, not a wolf, by the way). Granbull lacks any such justification for being a Fighting-type. Meanwhile, the facts that it was Normal-type before (which is plenty by itself), that there are a lot of Normal-type mammals, and that your own rule makes Fairy-type moves Normal mean that Normal-type is much more fitting.
not at all on any of your points. the point was almost all mammals that are actually based on something tht aren't normal are that way becuse of trivia. bulldogs having been used as fighting dogs is one such exmple of said trivia. the other point is that it has a crap ton of normal type moves. so does literally every other pokemon.
it also came to my memory that I need to give my justification for mking crawdaunt bug.
crawdaunt is a crawfish pokemon. there are three secondary types you can justify on a crawfish
ground: crawfish live in swamps. nearly every water ground tyoe pokemon has something to do with a type of wetland
bug: crawfish are bugs(fun fact lobsters are arachnids)
nothing: the other crustacian pokemon are pure water
now since crawdaunt has adaptability a dual type is preferable. ground doesn't work since crawdaunt doesn't get ny grouns type moves(unless I'm mistaken) so bug it is.

Celever

i am town
not at all on any of your points. the point was almost all mammals that are actually based on something tht aren't normal are that way becuse of trivia. bulldogs having been used as fighting dogs is one such exmple of said trivia. the other point is that it has a crap ton of normal type moves. so does literally every other pokemon.
it also came to my memory that I need to give my justification for mking crawdaunt bug.
crawdaunt is a crawfish pokemon. there are three secondary types you can justify on a crawfish
ground: crawfish live in swamps. nearly every water ground tyoe pokemon has something to do with a type of wetland
now since crawdaunt has adaptability a dual type is preferable. ground doesn't work since crawdaunt doesn't get ny grouns type moves(unless I'm mistaken) so bug it is.
Yeah that Crawdaunt logic makes sense.

So... If you have any evidence that shows Granbull is designed off of the old "fighting" dogs as opposed to the modern type of "timid, kind" bulldog I would love to hear it! :)

Otherwise, based on Pokedex entries and things we know about Granbull already, we should assume that he is a kind, timid, MODERN bulldog.

Also, bull fighting is still very much a thing, and bear wrangling was too. Why are Tauros, Bouffalant and Ursaring Normal-Type? Both of the ablve points prove your argument moot.

Yeah that Crawdaunt logic makes sense.

So... If you have any evidence that shows Granbull is designed off of the old "fighting" dogs as opposed to the modern type of "timid, kind" bulldog I would love to hear it! :)

Otherwise, based on Pokedex entries and things we know about Granbull already, we should assume that he is a kind, timid, MODERN bulldog.

Also, bull fighting is still very much a thing, and bear wrangling was too. Why are Tauros, Bouffalant and Ursaring Normal-Type? Both of the ablve points prove your argument moot.
like I've already said there are a lot of pokemon who should have a different type than they do. also boufflant is a buffalo.

Celever

i am town
like I've already said there are a lot of pokemon who should have a different type than they do. also boufflant is a buffalo.
And once again this is a Pokémon mod, and any modification you make should follow the rules of Pokémon, unless you change ALL Pokémon types. I don't think I can play this mod, because every time I see a Granbull or a Mandibuzz I'm just going to get annoyed at their illogical typings.

not at all on any of your points. the point was almost all mammals that are actually based on something tht aren't normal are that way becuse of trivia. bulldogs having been used as fighting dogs is one such exmple of said trivia.
"Trivia" means "unimportant tidbits of information". So unless you're suggesting that Hell being depicted as fiery and evil in basically all of modern society is just an unimportant tidbit of information, your point doesn't exist.

the other point is that it has a crap ton of normal type moves. so does literally every other pokemon.
and that your own rule makes Fairy-type moves Normal.
You should read my post next time.

Lobsters aren't arachnids (arachnids aren't insects, either, but Pokemon generally ignores that). They're crustacean, you even said so in the same post. Crawdaunt gets only a single Bug-type move, as well. It loves to battle, so by your logic it should be a Fighting-type.

Non-insect Arthropods that are Bug-type: Armaldo, Ariados, Galvantula, Scolipede, their families, and Skorupi
Non-insect Arthropods that aren't Bug-type: Kingler, Clawitzer, Barbaracle, Kabutops, their families, and Drapion. (Crawdaunt is excluded because we're debating it)

Note that Kingler, Clawitzer, and Barbaracle are all crustacean like Crawdaunt and that there are no crustacean that are Bug-types.

"Trivia" means "unimportant tidbits of information". So unless you're suggesting that Hell being depicted as fiery and evil in basically all of modern society is just an unimportant tidbit of information, your point doesn't exist.

You should read my post next time.

Lobsters aren't arachnids (arachnids aren't insects, either, but Pokemon generally ignores that). They're crustacean, you even said so in the same post. Crawdaunt gets only a single Bug-type move, as well. It loves to battle, so by your logic it should be a Fighting-type.
I said crawdaunt was a crawfish (it is) which are bugs (they are) and that lobsters are arachnids as a fun fact (they are). the fun fact had nothing to do with my justification I just thought some people might find it interesting.
I did read your post fully. though I will open up a poll for him and mandibuzz because their current typings really seem to annoy some people.
And once again this is a Pokémon mod, and any modification you make should follow the rules of Pokémon, unless you change ALL Pokémon types. I don't think I can play this mod, because every time I see a Granbull or a Mandibuzz I'm just going to get annoyed at their illogical typings.
I originally had this as a formulaic om until eevee suggested I make it more petmod-ish. mandibuzz would have been ghost and granbull would have been normal because of reasons. as I've already said in this post I'll be opening a poll on them (crawdaunt might happen later but not unless people really have a problem with it). there is a specific reason as well as the premise of the mod as to why I only change dark/steel/fairy types but that's a more personal reason that only certain mods know.
Regirock>Rock-Type
Registeel>Rock-type
lol

What about making Weavile an Ice/Fighting type?
While I'd like this change I'd like to back up type changes with flavor so I'd need some flavor for it.

Anyway, type poll
Granbull:
Fighting
Normal

Poll closes when it will(it's gonna end after at least 20 hours so don't worry about me ending it too soon)

I just found this, so sorry if I'm late or doing something wrong.

My idea is that Mandibuzz could be Ground/Flying, seeing as it lives in a desert. Moves like Bone Rush and Pokemon like Marowak are Ground type, and Mandibuzz wears bones, so why not? It's also a good defensive typing.

If this isn't possible, I'd say Flying.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)