UI/Aesthetics + How We Would Fix it

Since the 4th Generation, I was always annoyed that you couldn't check a pokemon's nature in the battle itself and I had to wait until after the battle to check if my starter had a good nature.

Can't remember if this was ever put back again but I do remember it was very handy in 3rd gen

also seconding HGSS auto-run and A button. The buttons on my 3DS XL feel quite clunky and after pressing them for so long my fingers/hands get tired, at least with the touch screen I don't have to press as hard

I feel HGSS had the best "out of menu" botton screen UI, but the worst bag UI. Clicking menus directly is awesome and all, but having to browse through 6-itens pages in the bag is incredibly clunky. You take ages to find anything, and the lack of an auto-organize feature just makes it worse.

My main gripe with current UI is the box system, and the lack of options when dealing with batches of pokemon. First, there is no option to release more than one pokemon at a time. In a game that incorporates chain breeding, in which you have to possibly go through HUNDREDS of eggs before hatching something with perfect stats (assuming you aren't using Hacket or RNGed dittos, since that's not intended), having no way to quickly get rid of all the leftovers is horrible. And Arceus help you if you ever dabble into MM'ing eggs for competitive shinies. You will have to literally release THOUSANDS of lv1 leftovers.

There also should be an option to deposit, in any order, a bunch of pokemon into a box. Right now, you have to browse through the boxes, one at a time, and then manually put the group of pokemon there, only if the pokemon are arranged in a way that fits perfectly the empty space in the box. HGSS had a box feature that allowed you to move a pokemon to another box, in the first slot avaliable, without changing your current box. Being able to do that for whole groups would be HUGE. Even better: allow me to select a row of 5 pokemon and throw it at my curret party/battle box. Or allow me to make whole batches of pokemon switch places with one another. Why isn't that a thing?

By the way, does anyone use that blue selection mode thingie? What's that for?

My main gripe with current UI is the box system, and the lack of options when dealing with batches of pokemon. First, there is no option to release more than one pokemon at a time.
Twitch Plays Pokémon would disagree with you. But even ignoring TPP, the only situation where releasing multiple mons could be helpful is exactly that - removing imperfect mons. Other than that, this is actually harmful, if you accidentally release something you didn't want to.

The issue is, why we even need imperfect mons? It would be interesting if mons after full EV training would behave like IV 31 mons. That would remove most of need to RNG manipulate (you only would need to manipulate natures, and possibly Hidden Power type). However, it's also something unlikely to be done by Game Freak.

Twitch Plays Pokémon would disagree with you. But even ignoring TPP, the only situation where releasing multiple mons could be helpful is exactly that - removing imperfect mons. Other than that, this is actually harmful, if you accidentally release something you didn't want to.
Just make the default position of the cursor to be "not release", and implement a 0.5 sec delay before the release option is selectable, to prevent button mashing problems. Still beats releasing 30 pokemon one by one.

The issue is, why we even need imperfect mons?
To be able to diferentiate between pokemon. It also does add a lot of longevity, and as long as it is time-consuming but not completely left to RNG I'm all for it. Game Freak did make breeding easier in XY, even if it still is time-consuming.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
By the way, does anyone use that blue selection mode thingie? What's that for?
The blue selection lets you pick up Pokemon directly; basically it lets you skip having to press "move" on the menu. It's not really used that much since most people use the stylus which lets you pick it up straightaway anyway.

The green selection does annoy me too, I wish it would let you place several Pokemon and then reorganize them if it doesn't fit perfectly, rather than just rejecting them. However, organizing the box to fit the Pokemon does make for a fun little puzzle.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I've been grinding for Pick Up items, and I really miss the ability to switch the order of moves in battle. It wouldn't even be a difficult change to make, just include the possibility of moving the move by holding it down + moving with the stylus (i.e., the same way you move Pokemon in the party or items in the bag).

I'd also appreciate the ability to set Sweet Scent/Fly/etc. to a button. Navigating to and from the menu every time is a bit tedious.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)