XY UU The B Team (Peaked at 1632 Elo, #31 on the ladder)

Mmkay, first RMT. This'll probably ruin me, but you know what? Screw it.
Soooo teambuilding process or whatever. After ye olde theme team of triple legendary doges started to fail...a lot... (see trick room tini replay #1 in The Next Best Thing... thread) I decided it was time for a change of pace. I needed a real team. And you know who's real? Lucario.

So looking at Lucario's weaknesses, I realized a Dragon/flying type would cover all of them. So, seeing the perfect opportunity to use my namesake, I threw on the one, the only, FlederMau5 the Noivern. As it turns out, Lucario also resists all of Noivern's weaknesses.

So at this point I felt I had a free pick. Swampert seemed good, its only weakness being covered by the other two, and it could set up rocks to soften up the opposing team for a Lucario sweep.

Swampert's great and all, but it can't recover and doesn't appreciate status, and neither does Lucario, so I needed a cleric. I chose Florges because screw Hydreigon. (I have slightly more reasoning than that, but like, honestly)

So now I felt I needed a wall breaker, Lucario can't bust through everything, even with life orb, and Victini is one of the best.

Lastly, with two stealth rock weaknesses, hazard removal became mandatory. Mega Blastoise seemed solid, even though he adds another grass weakness, his raw power is invaluable.

So there it could have ended, but with some testing, Lucario proved difficult to set up with due to his frailty. And his speed tier was disappointing, often forcing you off using STABs to extreme speed, which rarely proved to be enough. And then it hit me! Cobalion! He shares Lucario's typing and ability (well only one, but the most viable one, Justified), along with sporting much better overall bulk and speed. So a swap was made, battles had, and here we are, 4 B rated pokes in the viability thread and randomly an S and A one. The B Team:

New Meta! (Cobalion) @ Life orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe -SpA)

- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor

The sweeper himself, Cobalion. Naturally, SD for boosting his attack to actually threatening levels. (look, I can't even deny his unboosted attack is pretty meh, even with no investment his defense stat is higher) This feat is not too difficult given his excellent defenses, but still, remember LO recoil, so chose set up opportunities wisely. The best time to do so is after scarfers have been removed as he lacks any priority. Moveset lets him dismantle most common walls, even the pink core. Unboosted CC OHKOs Blissey, unboosted Iron Head 2HKOs Aromatisse, and +2 X-Scissor 2HKOs Slowbro. Sitting at 108 base speed he outpaces many common offensive threats like Hydreigon, Honchkrow, Lucario, Victini, and Haxorus, and can plow through them after boosting. (he can also KO some of them before boosting) Justified gives free attack boosts every so often, which is just nice to have. Sweeping isn't always necessary either, sometimes just weakening the opposing team lets FlederMau5 come in and clean up with Draco.

Weakness resisters: Fighting: Noivern, Victini, Florges
Ground: Noivern
Fire: Noivern, Victini, Blastoise, Swampert

FlederMau5 (Noivern) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Inflitrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD/ 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe -Atk)

- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower
- Switcheroo

Da namesake. FlederMau5 is too strong. He just takes dumps on the opposing team. That's all there is. And you know what? Bat guano is VERY unhealthy. Special wall gone? Time to start pressing ye-olde Draco easy button. Nice Sub ya got there too bud. Hurrimiss might seem odd, but (and sorry I don't have the calcs to prove this) air slash in testing only got a 2HKO on a bunch of things, while Hurricane OHKOed. So while the accuracy might suck, if it takes me two turns to kill a threat, well, I'm in the same place as I would be with Air slash, and 70% of the time it's just straight better. But with some relevant calcs about what Air Slash does kill, I'd be entirely willing to go back to it. (But also, confusion is way more useful than flinch imo) Other than that, flamethrower for steels, and Switcheroo is there as a check for a certain bulky sweeper *cough* Suicune *cough*. (and to randomly cripple walls lol) Basically he softens up the opposing team or cleans up late game, depends on the situation. (although late game cleaner is hard to pull off without something left to switch to to reset Draco recoil, or else you're relying on Hurricane) He's also the best switch-in when you anticipate a ground move incoming, as most users of them don't want to see the Draco dropped all over their faces and will switch out, which helps maintain some momentum.

Weakness resisters: Ice: Cobalion, Blastoise, Victini
Dragon: Florges, Cobalion
Rock: Cobalion, Swampert

The (s)Kipper (Swampert) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature (+Def -Spe)

- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Scald

Get it? Cause he's supposed to lead? Like a skipper does on a ship? At least, I think that's what skippers do. Whatever. He actually very rarely leads, given most people assume he will and lead with something to scare him out. Most often he switches in on an opposing wall to set up rocks, then starts yelling in people's faces to make them leave. He also is a good switch in to the always fun Fire spammers, and his STABS threaten them out, in addition to electric, poison, steel, and ground types, giving plenty more opportunities to set up rocks or rack up hazard damage through roar. His resistance to stealth rocks and reasonable offensive pressure can also provide switch-in opportunities for M-Blastoise to rapid spin away hazards, which is invaluable on a team with two SR-weak wall breakers.

Weakness resistors: Grass: Cobalion, Noivern, Victini

Roserade? (Florges) @ Leftovers
Ability: Literally useless
EVs: 252 HP/ 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature (+Def -Atk)

- Wish
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Aromatherapy

Ok, I know what you're all going to say: "WTF, why u still use Florges? Blissey or Aromatisse is way better!"
Let me explain. I'm a noob, I don't know any better. But seriously, here's why- 112 base SpA is at least decent, even without investment. And base 154 SpD is great even with little to no investment, too. Finally, fairy typing is excellent defensively. So by maximizing her physical defense, Florges can function as a check to powerful physical fighting types, dragon types, and dark types, while also walling pretty much every special attacker and dealing respectable damage to all of them. Blissey or Aromatisse can't really pull off both of these roles. (probably, I don't really have the time nor patience to go run a bunch of calcs) Other than that, Florges is also the cleric, for keeping the team un-statused and passing wishes sometimes. Her resistances and immunity also make her a pretty good addition to the defensive synergy of the team.

Weakness resisters: Poison: Cobalion, Swampert
Steel: Cobalion, Swampert, Blastoise, Victini

Alla Dat (Victini) @ Choice Band
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe -SpA)
- V-Create
- Bolt Strike
- U-Turn
- Zen Headbutt

So it's the dedicated wall-breaker. V-Create is the obligatory, over-the-top spam move, capable of obliterating pretty much everything except dragons and bulky waters. Bolt strike is to deal with one of those aforementioned problem types, and U-turn can grab the momentum and occasionally randomly hose Hydreigon switch ins. Zen headbutt is a check for fighting and poison types who otherwise run pretty much all over this team.

Weakness resistors: Ground: Noivern
Rock: Cobalion, Swampert
Ghost: None T-T
Water: Blastoise, Noivern
Dark: Cobalion, Florges

Broadsides (Mega Blastoise) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain dish -> Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature (+SpA -Atk)

- Rapid Spin
- Water Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

Probably the best rapid spinner in the tier. Dark pulse pushes past every spin blocker besides fully specially defensive Sableye, who is almost always 2HKOed by Water Pulse, and Frosslass, who isn't too common and can be dealt with pretty well through a combo of Victini U-turn into Noivern. Ice beam adds nice coverage and can randomly nail switch ins expecting Water or Dark Pulse. After Mega-Evolving his special attack reaches 405, a pretty ridiculous number that lets him stay useful in a match even after hazard setters are gone. His bulk and power also work well with Swampert's rocks, as he forces switches to rack up more damage and make a Cobalion sweep or Noivern/Victini clean up easier.

Weakness resisters: Electric: Swampert
Grass: Cobalion, Noivern, Victini
And finally, the end. Thanks for taking the time to read this crazy long thing, any advice would be appreciated!

Attachments

Last edited:
I guess I should've remembered to include a proof of the peak. Fixed.
(And if this counts as a bump, whatever, I did this whole RMT mostly for fun)
image.jpg

Hello thurr :] Just to preface, none of your images are working (at least for me), so I would suggest going here to get your sprites. But onto the rate.

From the look of your team, there are a few things that you have problems with. The biggest, however, that I can see is Chandelure. You basically have 0 switch ins to this Pokemon and the only thing that can actually come in on it (being Florges) a) Can do nothing back b) Risks getting set up on by Sub CM Chandelure. So I suggest forgoing your Noivern in place of Hydreigon, who not only provides a better answer to Chandelure, but also a better Ground immunity vs the most prominent Offensive Ground in the tier (being Krook) who can otherwise have a field day with your team. That's the only major change I can see in your team but there are a few EV tweaks and such that should be made. Obviously, I would say use Lucario over Cobalion cause it's just better but I can see you liked Cobalion more so i'll let you keep that in there. However, there's no reason to be running an SD + 3 attacks set cause Cobalion simply isn't Lucario and shouldn't be trying to play like Lucario. So i'd change Cobalion to Sub + Swords Dance to take advantage of that fantastic bulk Cobalion has and because between Blastoise, Victini and Hydreigon, Slowbro shouldn't be too problematic to deal with. Next is the EV spread on Florges; which doesn't really achieve much for you. 24 EVs in SpD is meant to hit a jump point when used in conjunction with a Calm Nature, which you are currently not using. So I would change that to full Physical Defense to better combat CB Hera (which can be a problem for your team). Lastly, just 2 little moveslot changes, Blastoise should run Dragon Pulse over Ice Beam as it lets it KO Hydreigon without requiring prior damage and basically hits Grass-type switch ins + things like Toxicroak hard too. Victini is a toss up for the 4th slot but I suggest running Trick over Zen Headbutt, just as a means of trying to cripple Bulky Waters, which can open up the game for Cobalion. That's about all though, i'll leave the Hydreigon set below and good luck with the team! n_n

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Sp
Hasty Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Superpower / Iron Tail
- Roost

or

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

Definitely follow Calloflochie's suggestion above but I have a small suggestion regarding Blastoise as i think that running Scald or Hydro Pump over Water Pulse is only better because the Burn chance Scald has is just so useful (much, much more than confusion) and you don't lose much power anyway and in case you opt for Hydro the lower accuracy is not a problem as you already have a reliable "STAB" in Dark Pulse.
Good Luck with your team!

Thanks for the rates! galbia, I'll definitely switch to one of those, probably back to scald. Calloflochie, I'll also definitely throw Dragon Pulse on Blastoise, as well as either make Florges entirely invested in Def (something I was thinking of doing in the first place, but decided not to since it hits a jump point in Def at that spread with bold too, and figured people would just tell me that 232/24 was the better spread) or just switch it out with Aromatisse. Also, thanks for telling me Victini gets trick. Didn't even know that was a thing. (Noob alert) Definitely doing that. I'm on the fence about switching out Noivern, I'll play some more games with him to see exactly how I use him, then see if Scarf-dreigon or LO can match it pretty well. Last note, I knew I was the minority on Cobalion v. Lucario, I just prefer bulkier sweepers, but the Sub+SD set sounds great if I decide to switch in Hydreigon. Hopefully once I'm back home and able to ladder things will go well; thanks again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)