XY OU What's a Lucario? - Bulky Offense Team

Hey people, I'm Jeronado! I started playing competitively at the beginning of 6th gen but I've been watching videos since 4th gen. This is my first RMT, hopefully I can get some feedback for this team I made.

Lucario doesn't really see much usage, although it's a pretty good cleaner especially against less offensive teams. I'd never used Lucario before so I wanted to make a team for it and give it a shot.

Changes in red.

-------​

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch/ Earthquake

Lucario is the late-game cleaner for the team. Lucario hits pretty hard especially after a Swords Dance and if I can get it in on something it can setup on it can easily sweep once it's checks and counters are removed or weakened. Lucario does have some problems trying to setup on faster more offensive teams though, although I can use it to take out weakened threats with Extreme Speed in those cases. The moveset is the standard one, I've found Ice Punch has been very useful because of how common Landorus-T is. although I'm thinking I'll changing it to Earthquake for Aegislash if I see it more (I haven't seen Aegi very much recently).

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 24 Spe
OR 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis/ Sleep Powder

Venusaur is a really good partner for Lucario. It beats stuff that Lucario has trouble facing like fairies, Conkeldurr, and Quagsire. Hidden Power hits things like Scizor and Ferrothorn that try to switch into Venusaur. In the last slot I've been considering Sleep Powder over Synthesis since I've been running into Sand teams a lot recently and Sleep Powder would also give Lucario more setup opportunities. The other EV spread allows Venusaur to out speed Jolly Belly Drum Azumarill which is a big threat to the team.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Ancient Power

Heatran has really good synergy with Venusaur and with a scarf it acts as the revenge killer of the team. The surprise factor is also nice since Scarftran isn't that common. It's also one of my answers to Extrasensory Greninja since Overheat OHKOs Greninja when it's not a water type after Life Orb recoil. Overheat also has a 56% chance to OHKO Aegislash which is very helpful for Lucario. I originally had Fire Blast in the last slot, but I didn't really like the experience I had of Bulk Up Talonflame coming in and setting up on me so I decided to go with Stone Edge like I saw from CrashinBoomBang and Unbirthday's Crystalised Bulky Offense RMT. Timid nature lets me out speed Mega Tyranitar at +1 to get some damage on it with Flash Cannon. Ancient Power is used to hit Talonflame, Bulk Up Talonflame in particular which is also a threat to this team.

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 108 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Defog
- Roost
- Foul Play

For my Defogger I decided on Mandibuzz because defensively it helps my team out a lot. It's another switch in for Talonflame which is nice because Heatran can be easily worn down by Banded Brave Birds. Mandibuzz can just Roost until Talonflame knocks itself out. I also feel my team would struggle more against Sand if I didn't have it on the team. Taunt is useful against stall and it also helps to keep rocks off my side.

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance

Garchomp is my Stealth Rock setter. I chose Garchomp because I wanted an offensive Stealth Rock setter that wasn't weak to Fighting or Ground. The Focus Sash is so I can guarantee getting rocks up and it has also saved me from getting swept a couple times. Swords Dance allows Garchomp to do some wallbreaking for when my team is having trouble getting past something.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Azumarill is the final member of the team. With an Assault Vest Azumarill is my other answer to Greninja and it can also take on Landorus if it's healthy. Azumarill helps take some of the beating off of Venusaur since it can also switch into things like Conkeldurr and water type attacks. It's also another option for hitting Hippowdon which troubles Lucario. The extra priority in Aqua Jet is also appreciated.

-------​

And that's the team! One thing I've noticed about this team is that it really struggles against teams with Mega Venusaur especially stall teams with it. My only real options against it are to use my own Venusaur and try to pp stall Synthesis or to try and hit it with a +2 Outrage with Garchomp, but nobody keeps their Venusaur in on a +2 Garchomp.

Last edited:

Unbirthday

TOP QUALITY POSTS
This is a pretty solid team and Venusaur/Azumarill/Heatran/Mandibuzz is a really powerful offensive core so I only got a few minor things to say. First of all, Ice Punch is probably your best option as Aegislash doesn't really want to deal with most of the Pokemon on your team while Specially Defensive Gliscor looks incredibly annoying as Garchomp usually doesn't live that long which only really leaves Azumarill and Venusaur as answers. While Ice Punch Lucario isn't a counter, it can kill it in an emergency which seems pretty useful for your team. Hitting Landorus-T and Amoonguss is also a nice bonus. On Venusaur, you can consider using 96 Speed EVs to outspeed Suicune and Jolly Belly Drum Azumarill, the latter of which only needs Garchomp and Venusaur slightly weakened (at around 80%) to sweep. It's certainly not getting many free turns, but if you find yourself getting swept by it I would at least consider it even though you probably need all the bulk you can get for Mega Mawile and Terrakion. I would also stick to Synthesis for sure as you really don't want Mega Venusaur without Synthesis as your only answer to Azumarill. While sand is a pain, Venusaur usually doesn't have many problems staying healthy against Sand teams with Giga Drain as most members are either weak to it (Tyranitar) or just 2HKOd anyway (Excadrill) so you'll generally have plenty of recovery to last you all game. As for Stone Edge on Heatran, with your team not really giving Mega Charizard Y any free switch-ins, you can consider using Ancientpower over it in order to beat Bulk Up Talonflame better, who actually looks like a significant threat to your team. After a few Bulk Up boosts you can't really touch it anymore when using Stone Edge while Ancientpower allows you to go to Mandibuzz to prevent it from using Roost and then finish it with Ancientpower. This is also one of the few teams where Timid looks like the preferable nature on Heatran as you have a rather big Mega Tyranitar weakness, so getting that extra hit off with Flash Cannon can be crucial. You might miss the extra power, but it definitely looks like the right way to go here.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 24 Spe OR 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Speed
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Overheat
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Ancientpower

Last edited:
Hi Unbirthday, thanks for the rate! I actually had a run in with SpDef Gliscor so I'll definitely stick with Ice Punch on Lucario and I'll make all the changes you mentioned for Heatran. I did almost get swept by a Belly Drum Azumarill once. I don't know if it was Jolly or not but I'll try out Venusaur with the extra speed EVs like you suggested and see whether or not I miss the extra bulk and I'll stick with Synthesis as well. Thanks again for the rate!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)