What video games could use a reboot?

There are a bunch of great games that either have been ignored by the series creator/younger audiences haven't heard of, so a reboot would benefit them. The question is, what games deserve it? Some could debate that Meroid could use a reboot or that F-Zero needs a reboot. Whatever the game, what do you think deserves a reboot?

For me I'd say giving F-Zero a reboot on Wii U about him being a bounty hunter would be awesome

I'd like to see Lufia rebooted, played the hell out of the GBC one and the SNES ones, while I didn't play them back when new, were still enjoyable emulated. The GBC one in particular had a lot going for it, decent story, relatively in-depth battling mechanic, nice cast of characters, and an optional end-game dungeon crawl to keep you playing even more.

Wouldn't mind a Golden Sun reboot either; I loved the first 2 games, but the 3rd was so damn on rails and generally not as good, I still haven't bothered to finish it. Granted, it's not like the first 2 were that exploratory, but at least it didn't force you into doing crap along with completely missable skins. So a proper reboot of the first two and then trashing the 3rd out of existence would be nice.

Let me note, reboots and remakes AREN'T the same thing.
Remakes is making the same game but with added features/minor differences
Reboots is a completely new fresh take on an existing series often with a completely different gameplay style. For example: Kid icarus ---------------------> Kid icarus Uprising

Last edited:

Lavos

Banned deucer.
Chrono Trigger deserved a better sequel than Chrono Cross, which wasn't bad, but didn't live up to the expectations set by its predecessor.

EarthBound Zero/EarthBound/Mother 3 (presumably EB2 but never had an official English release) are a fantastic series of games that deserve a try from anyone who calls his or herself a gamer. The battle system in EarthBound was unique for its time, the story is goofy yet profound, and the game carries a certain charm to it that I hadn't encountered previously. The prequel and sequel possess similar appeal, but I wouldn't recommend EB0, as it's really grindy at the early levels due to a faulty experience algorithm. Mother 3, on the other hand, is a beautiful game for which I paid out the nose to obtain an unopened Japanese cart. Luckily, the good folks at starmen.net (the largest EB fansite in the world) released an unofficial Mother 3 Fan Translation, which the creator of EB himself, Shigesato Itoi, has personally recommended to all his English-speaking EB fans! If you're willing to use an emulator and download a ROM of the game in Japanese, then you can find it here: http://mother3.fobby.net/ V0x

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Does it still count as a reboot if youre dropping what was actually the reboot and going to the original? Spyro has had a reboot I believe but all the games after the original trilogy were a huge drop in quality. I guess the same thing could be said about the Devil May Cry series but that was more of a story issue than a gameplay issue.

Speaking of Mega Man, what about a new franchise that's based off of an existing franchise, headed by the same guy, but isn't the existing franchise? I feel like Mighty No. 9 could be considered a reboot of sorts. Let's just hope people stop whining about what race/gender he's drawn as.

What are you referring to? Mega Man and Beck both seem to be of the same race and sex, unless I'm very much mistaken. Was there a design change or something?

On-topic: Crash Bandicoot. I'm probably one of the few that actually didn't mind the reboot it got back when the seventh-gen consoles were released, but a lot of people were quite irritated by it. Mind over Mutant and Crash of the Titans had fairly lukewarm reviews, and a lot of people preferred the original mechanics [admittedly, so did I] - they haven't made a game since 2008, so perhaps a reboot calling back to what made Crash so popular on the Playstation back in the day might be a great way to get some interest into the franchise again.

Oh my god yes! I mean, Crash of the Titans was pretty fun. But it was miles from the roots of the Crash series, and I really hated the unnecessary redesigns of all the characters. Especially Tiny Tiger. A modern game in the traditional mechanics and untarnished characters would be awesome.

But hey, I still have Crash Team Racing aka one of the best games ever made.

If Blizzard wanted to boot Warcraft back to the end of Warcraft 3 classic and go forward making RTS games again without all the stupid otherworldly bollocks they had to put into WoW to keep the factions balanced then I'd probably buy it. Not a total reboot but it's over a decade of cannon.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Dropping a tiny bit of a bombshell here...

Pokémon.

Yep, that's right. Not that I'd want the reboot to replace the ongoing series, but rather exist alongside it. The reason for the need to a reboot is that over time, the Pokédex is becoming a little cluttered, there are hundreds of monsters available, so there is so little you can dedicate to each one to fit them all in. Many of the older Pokémon are also kind of "locked" where they currently are, being cursed by bad movepools, bad typing, bad stats, or just general badness - stemming from the simple fact that they were designed to be early game Pokémon (and the philosophy regarding those can best be summed up with "planned obsolence" - I mean, why should you ever catch more 'mons if the first six you acquire are strong enough to kick ass all throughout your adventure?). Others are just delegated to the job of "dex fodder", never being able to make an impact on anything.

I think Pokémon would benefit a little from a game where there are fewer of the things around. Maybe select 150 or thereabout, change them a little from how they are now (not necessarily design changes, though minor ones could be forgiven - I mean, have you ever seen a photoshopped picture of Garbodor with bigger pupils? It looks a thousand times better, just with that tiny little change). Shake up what is good and what isn't. With fewer models in-game, more time can also be devoted to animating and texturing each individual creature. For once, just outright forget some 500 Pokémon, and give more love to the remaining ones. Same for moves, or for that matter, the battle system entirely. And also, the usual faff about the villainous team. Saving the world gets tacky after a while. Please go back to simple mafia, just for a single game...

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Crash Bandicoot + CTR
Spyro
Jac and Daxter (1st one was godly, second not so much)
Donkey Kong (side scrolling DK......... comon where's my DK64 2)
Mario Party (everything after 5 has been complete and total ass)
Rayman (he kinda got one I guess finally but it's still meh)
Tomb Raider (GIVE ME FUCKING PUZZLES AND A NON-LINEAR STORYLINE OML)

Resident Evil pretty much NEEDS a reboot at this point but I doubt it'll happen.

The entire series has no direction anymore.

I'm saying this as someone who doesn't even hate RE6, good game but a terrible RE, and it's been going downhill for a long ass time.

Resident Evil pretty much NEEDS a reboot at this point but I doubt it'll happen.

The entire series has no direction anymore.

I'm saying this as someone who doesn't even hate RE6, good game but a terrible RE, and it's been going downhill for a long ass time.
Resident Evil was a great franchise. It started to suck after it abandoned the horror feel and adapted a more FPS style. I agree with this. RE needs a reboot

So sad no one mentioned Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles on GameCube. But I would like for this game to either be rebooted with better UI and a Wi-fi or just remake the game with HD graphics. This game is so much fun when you was able to have another person to play with (._. sadly I didn't) which is why I soooo wanted a reboot/remake of the original games

Conker all other arguments are irrelevant, and none of that project spark bullshit that was such a tease. I want all out swearing, violent, and rated M Conker.

Arhops

Professor Layton's Little Brother
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
Zoo Tycoon needs a reboot, though I doubt it'll happen as Blue Fang went out of business and Microsoft has shown little interest in it. Until then, I can still enjoy 2 with Radical Remake and pretend it's a sequel ;_;
Isn't that already a thing?

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Pokemon

Stadium series that is. Both 1 and 2 were great. I'm not sure why Pokemon didn't continue the series. We did get Pokemon Colosseum but that was no where close to as good as the Stadiums, lacking the ability to use Rentals and many of the extra features.

A whole new 2d Metroid would be fucking awesome
If this were to happen, I would guess it would probably end up being a remake of Super Metroid instead of a reboot.

Is Deus Ex still a valid opinion? System Shock 2? Freespace? Hell, let's throw in TIE Fighter for good measure.

You know what, just about every (good) PC game released in 2000 and earlier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)