XY UU RMT: Half-Sand/Trick Room Team for Custom Tourney

Tournament rules: Standard UU rules/clauses, except Mega Stones are banned and Pokémon in BL-OU can compete. Also, it's important to note that after the first round all Battle Codes will be public, so everyone will be able to see each other's teams (and change up move slots/items/EV spreads, accordingly).

Introduction: Hey there, so I've been working on a team for a buddy's upcoming tournament and I was hoping to get some advice from you guys. This team started out as me throwing together a bunch of guys I felt like using, and after playing around on Showdown for a while, I've been pleasantly surprised at how well they synergise. It requires a good level of prediction on my part to work, but so far I'm comfortable with that. I also based my team around Pokémon that are somewhat versatile due to the nature of the competition. All help/suggestions are appreciated.

Famine (Hippowdon-F) @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Def/ 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

This set lets Hippowdon do what it does best: set up weather, tank hits, and phase out anyone who looks at her funny. Hippowdon, serving as a mixed wall, pairs up well with Cradily by boosting his Special Defense via Sand Stream and by helping him stall out opponents- and not to mention her solid offensive capabilities via the classic StoneQuake combo. Hippowdon also works as a great lead in setting up the Sand Storm.

Circle Jerk (Cradily) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Def/ 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Recover

Cradily is a straight-up jerk. Thanks to Storm Drain, he's able to absorb the Scalds directed at Hippowdon, Arcanine, or Escavalier and proceed to stall his way to victory. Cradily also enjoys his trump card status in UU- since he's uncommon, he works more often than not as people simply forget about Storm Drain or how to play around him. Finally, Cradily can also be a solid Lead in his capacity to set up Stealth Rock.

Chevalier (Escavalier) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP/ 252 Atk/ 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Megahorn
- Drill Run
- Knock Off

This a Escavalier's standard set. It meshes well with the rest of the squad as it allows him to function as a great pivot. A lot of Pokémon on this team are either begging to be Toxic'd or take a Grass-type move, and that's where Escavalier comes in and wrecks house. He also manages to work as an awesome Wallbreaker and Trick Room abuser, but more on that in a bit. With great type coverage in his set, great Attack, and access to Knock Off, not much wants to take a hit from her.

Budd (Slowbro) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Trick Room

Ah, the unexpected Trick Room- so much fun to use. Slowbro's natural bulk often allows him to eat up a hit and then retaliate with a STAB-move or Trick Room. As gimmicky as this seems, it works. Since 2/3 of this team are pretty slow, this opens up loads of options- mainly: if Slowbro can't take the opponent out the next turn, then I usually switch to Escavalier to wreak some major havoc. Again, this requires a degree of prediction, but it's loads of fun to pull-off (especially for a late-game/come-from-behind sweep).

Fang (Arcanine) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 148 HP/ 184 SpD/ 178 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Morning Sun
- Overheat
- Flare Blitz

Admittedly, this is the set I've found myself tinkering with the most since I started this team (serious case of the four-move-slot syndrome). Although Arcanine doesn't really benefit from Sand or Trick Room, he's managed to serve as a strong pivot via Flash Fire (mainly from attacks aimed at Escavalier) and as a Mixed/Bulky Attacker. Morning Sun is fine since Arcanine is rarely forced to come out when Sand Stream is active, and his Speed EVs are a safety net in case Trick Room is not set up.

Blitzkrieg (Hydreigon) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Superpower
- Dark Pulse
- Earthquake

Like Arcanine, Hydreigon works outside of Trick Room to clean-up and break down walls. Hydreigon works great as a Mixed Sweeper once all the Fairies and faster opponents are dealt with, and not to mention his versatility will be greatly appreciated as the tournament moves forward and I become more familiar with my friends' teams. Earthquake could be swapped for Iron Tail to help with Fairies, or be replaced altogether with Roost for livability in a Sand Storm/Life Orb recoil.

Threats/Thoughts: Although I like how this team works together, so far I have hit a few walls at- well, Physical and Special Walls. Unless Arcanine packs Wild Charge, the likes of Alomomola and Milotic are not appreciated, and nor is Blissey if Arcanine doesn't have Close Combat. Also, I know that half of my team is weak to Ice, however since I the other three resist it (and since Cradily and Hippowdon are invested enough in Special Defense), this hasn't been a problem. As for Bug-type moves, Hippowdon deals with Galvantula just fine, and the occasional U-Turn is nothing from which Cradily and Slowbro can't Slack Off/Recover.

At this point I'm considering switching Arcanine for Infernape, Chandelure, or even Flareon to help as Wallbreaker/fire-eater. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Ok one quick question. If this is a UU tourney, then how come OU and BL pokemon can compete? Why not use better OU alternatives? And if those pokemon are allowed, then this belongs in the XY OU teams section of this forum.

Ok one quick question. If this is a UU tourney, then how come OU and BL pokemon can compete? Why not use better OU alternatives? And if those pokemon are allowed, then this belongs in the XY OU teams section of this forum.
Sorry, I meant to say "Borderline OU" as in:
Crawdaunt, Diggersby, Gothitelle, Hawlucha, Klefki, Magnezone, Manaphy, Salamence, Staraptor, Thundurus-T, Tornadus-T, Weavile, Wobbuffet, Venomoth, Volcarona, and Zygarde.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)