Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That wii-u button, the combined feature hype is real.

Sakurai always has his great menus: Kirby, Meteos, Kid Icarus Uprising, Smash, although I'd have loved if they were bottom screen touchable because his method of using size to determine what players will most likely use works great for touch screens.

^that's what I was thinking, I'd expect the screens to be the other way around to use the touch screen on menus.
Then again Smash isn't a touch-based game so maybe that's why.

I also find myself wondering what "games and more" is, and what kind of challenges there are.

I also find myself wondering what "games and more" is, and what kind of challenges there are.
I'm expecting games like Trophy Run, Home Run Contest, Target Smash, Events, and Multi-Man Brawl (which will probably be renamed) and maybe a Boss Battles. It depends on how the single player modes go.

And I'm assuming whatever single player modes return (Adventure, All Star, Classic, Training, etc) will go under "Smash"

CrushinDefeat

Defeat me if you can... Survive if I let you!
The new home screen just looks so pardon my language, sexy. Its clean, its smooth, and it really exciting. The little box icon for "Games and Stuff" just makes me even more excited to see whats inside it. I think the fact that the design choice is small really makes you truly wonder whats inside that little box. Its surprising to see that this is just only the 3DS Screen, I can't wait to see the Wii U screen its going to be even better!

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Ah that sounds about right, slipped my mind. Guess the 40 or so custom battle things are gone, then. That stinks, that was fun to waste two or three hours on every time the disk got reset.

The demo was confirmed to be the same build as the E3 version. Reduced landing lag rumors are false; the demos taught us nothing new.

breh

強いだね
Poor takamaru, apparently the character a lot of japanese players wanted.... We'll just have to wait for the next game for him to be pit2, I guess.

He had a surprising amount of support over here as well, despite the fact that almost everyone outside of Japan have never played his game and have only known about him for a year and a half. I'm really glad that Sakurai just does whatever he wants, because if he listened to the community, half the newcomers would be generic swordsman.

Not really. Aside from the sword, all the projectiles serve the same basic function except for Inuzuma Lightning (which would definitely be his Final Smash), and aside from those all he has is the Cloak.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
He's not even using the sword in his assist trophy. Projectiles might serve the same purpose in the original game, but you can think of a few ways that shuriken/scythes/fireballs have differing attributes. Then you have the cloak and reflecting projectiles, and throw in normal attacks that have different properties from the Marth clones you revile so much (someone like you should be aware that whole fighting game ips are built primarily out of swordfighting).

It's always uncreativity at the heart of fighting game naysayers.

In the past, I have tried imagining him a moveset for him that isn't just "slow projectile/fast projectile/Sheik's Teleport/MK's Dimension Cape" with typical sword normals, but I couldn't. The only way I could imagine him as a truly unique character that brings all he has from his games to the table was by incorporating the system of using projectiles far away and using the sword up close, using the sword to destroy enemy projectiles, and making the cloak sort of like the invisibility Item but with timed regeneration. However, we'd end up with a character who has Megaman's camping power but is just as strong once you break through his wall, and can completely shut down or power through enemy camping, which would be insanely OP no matter how hard you nerf it.

Nonetheless, Sakurai is an extremely creative man. If there's a good way to incorporate this guy without just making him Link with different projectiles, he'll find it. And who knows, maybe he already did and decided against him for a different reason. I'm not saying it's impossible, I just don't see it.

Ah, another person I've never heard of (outside of people wanting him in smash) crossed off the "possible newcomers" list. Selfish as it may be, that makes me happy.

This debate has likely happened dozens of times in this thread, but since as far as I can tell this is the "Smash Bros thread", and since I think one of the posts on the thread that got posted and locked today was worth responding to...

It kind of annoys me in general when people complain about troll arguments to justify their preferences because it tends to implicitly paint opponents with the same brush. It just compels people to keep trying to set the record straight, even if it's all been said before, because if we don't then the shit-slinging might just get more and more one-sided.

Muh wavedash
The wavedash argument is more about movement options than having a specific "advanced technique". Rolls and spot dodges are situational and primarily defensive. A universal approaching technique is important because lots of characters are stuck with poor approaching options otherwise. This gets into
Muh hitstun
Muh combos
Of course, the general idea is that you're awarded for successfully approaching and attacking. Defensive play can be great, but if you're not even being rewarded for approaching then it's hard to see the point until you're patient enough to understand the game within the game. Complaining about combos in Melee is a lot like saying, "In Pokemon you can just pick the super effective move, therefore it's trash." It's not mindless mashing at all. This then gets into
Muh fast-paced
Muh "more competitive"
I think that it's misleading to call Melee fast-paced. Melee matches run the gamut from fast to slow. I like that variety, and I actually kind of dislike it when people complain about a Melee match being "too slow" or being "like Brawl". From a casual standpoint, though, I'm sorry but air time is soooooo long in Brawl and it gets kind of stupid after a while. I feel that Brawl needs items to keep things "happening" without getting into really high-level play. But it's not like Smash will ever implement items in a way that's sensible for competitive play.

A similar complaint that I find misleading is that Fox and Falco are supposedly the best characters by some insurmountable margin. That's not true at all (and hypocritical coming from a defense of a game containing Meta Knight), and while people often theorize that Fox and Falco may leave the other characters in the dust in the future with more technically sound play, that's just a hypothesis. The fact remains, half the cast is considered tournament-viable.

People need to drop this silly claim that Melee players just want another Melee because that's a pretty stupid thing to want imo. In the grand scheme of things, Melee leaves a lot to be desired. I think that the general formula of Smash has a lot more potential than its developers are ever going to think of giving it. Ironically, despite being a significant break from the typical fighting game formula, Smash has itself fallen into a formula and I doubt that it's ever going to fix some of the stupid stuff that persists in every game. For example, I think Smash should just reduce aerial landing lag in general, or remove it altogether. I generally agree with people who say that pressing L to reduce landing lag is kind of dumb.

I only played Melee once and my friend who owned the game kept beating me with Samus so I didn't really enjoy it.

And that's the end of my opinion on the matter.

:)

People need to drop this silly claim that Melee players just want another Melee because that's a pretty stupid thing to want imo.
They are completely right, albeit they have a poor choice of words. It's not that you guys want another Melee, it's that you look at Brawl and Smash 4 the exact same way you look at Melee and judge everything accordingly. For example:

A universal approaching technique is important because lots of characters are stuck with poor approaching options otherwise.
In both 64 and Brawl, almost every character can approach fine without wavedashing. I can count on one hand the characters in Brawl that would've been fixed with wavedashing, and in 64 that number is zero. The only reason this insane notion that we need Melee's ATs exists is because of the staggering ignorance of other games that Melee players and only Melee players are allowed to throw around.

the general idea is that you're awarded for successfully approaching and attacking. Defensive play can be great, but if you're not even being rewarded for approaching then it's hard to see the point until you're patient enough to understand the game within the game.
The risk/reward ratio in Brawl is exactly the same. If you do it right, you get to hit them once. If you mess up, they get to hit you once. Low risk/low reward is still a balanced risk/reward, and that's the important thing.

And while Brawl is definitely more defensive than Melee, it's not even remotely as skewed in that direction as Melee fans imply. I really shouldn't even have to defend against something like "you're not rewarded for approaching," as if that was even remotely true, you'd never be able to KO.

From a casual standpoint, though, I'm sorry but air time is soooooo long in Brawl and it gets kind of stupid after a while.
This is another thing caused by Melee players acting like their game is the norm, even when it isn't. In comparison to both of the other games (yes, 64 is as floaty as Brawl), Melee is extremely grounded. In every other game, you can hang in the air without much risk, but in Melee, you need to do what you went airborne to do and get back to the ground ASAP.

half the cast is considered tournament-viable.
By people who have never been to a tournament. Currently the community is debating whether or not even Captain Falcon is viable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)