Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Cotton Guard
- Flamethrower
- Draining Kiss

This set credits goes to Orphic my pal. When i faced this against him, it surprised me and to an extent rekt me. It works simple, get a couple of cm boosts, when your health goes down,sitrus berry gets used and you get speed boost coz unburden. then if you feel physical attackers threaten you go for a couple of cotton guards. Don't worry if you lose HP in this process as drainingkiss makes up for it as it has 75% recovery of damage dealt bringing it back to good health.flamethrower is for stuff like vileplume,weezing etc which dont take much from draining kiss. The things that threaten this pokemon are hax(critical hits),it doesnt like to take strong STABS before boosts and status kind of cripples it.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Return / Facade
- Sucker Punch / Disable

While Kangaskhan as a SubPuncher may lack resistances, a water immunity (Poliwrath), and STAB, she makes up for it with higher HP, higher Speed, and priority in Sucker Punch. Kanga can easily set up a Substitute against weak attackers, or walls like Audino, Lickilicky, and Ferroseed. From there it can just spam Focus Punch freely, not even caring about Ghosts thanks to Scrappy. Scrappy also allows it to nail a foolish Spiritomb who may want to switch and set up Calm Mind with Focus Punch. Return provides powerful STAB. (You could also run Facade if you're REALLY worried about Tomb's Infiltrator Will-o-Wisp. Just remember to pack a teammate with Heal Bell.) Sucker Punch allows you to finish off faster foes if the opponent decides to attack. Disable is a really cool option to render Pokemon with only one offensive move useless. Also stops Banded or Specs users, too, letting you set up a free sub. The EVs are to maximize Attack, provide a bit of speed (outspeeding Adamant Shiftry), and give some additional bulk. Max speed is another option if you want to outrun more things; the only downside is less bulkier Substitutes.

252+ Atk Kangaskhan Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 148-176 (50.6 - 60.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Kangaskhan Focus Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mismagius: 219-258 (83.5 - 98.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Kangaskhan Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Spiritomb: 198-234 (65.1 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Kangaskhan Focus Punch vs. 100 HP / 0 Def Klinklang: 258-304 (90.2 - 106.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Kangaskhan Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Regirock: 158-186 (43.4 - 51%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Kangaskhan Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Spiritomb: 138-163 (45.3 - 53.6%) -- 92.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

I recommend a try :)

Last edited:

Orphic

perhaps
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Isn't this the standard set? Aside from BD
What he meant was that he saw me use it first and tbh, it is still quite creative. I see more belly drum sets on the ladder, I feel people see that possibility and are more attracted to having a +6 offensive mon than risking crits and setting up defenses. Assassin you should have tagged me it's lucky I saw that ;)
OK to make this post contribute something here's something I've be messing around with:

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- X-Scissor

X-Scissor > defog is unconventional so I tend to run this set in conjunction with other defog support (particularly Pelipper, they work well together). I basically asked myself, how often do I find myself in a Shiftry vs Shiftry knock off battle? The answer was quite often so I explored the options to make my Shiftry the one that wins these Shiftry battles and came out with X-Scissor. Not to mention, while using this I've found it handy for those Malamar's that might try to get off a superpower on Shiftry. So yeah, use this with another defogger and have fun boasting that your Shiftry is the best Shiftry :)

What he meant was that he saw me use it first and tbh, it is still quite creative. I see more belly drum sets on the ladder, I feel people see that possibility and are more attracted to having a +6 offensive mon than risking crits and setting up defenses. Assassin you should have tagged me it's lucky I saw that ;)
OK to make this post contribute something here's something I've be messing around with:

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- X-Scissor

X-Scissor > defog is unconventional so I tend to run this set in conjunction with other defog support (particularly Pelipper, they work well together). I basically asked myself, how often do I find myself in a Shiftry vs Shiftry knock off battle? The answer was quite often so I explored the options to make my Shiftry the one that wins these Shiftry battles and came out with X-Scissor. Not to mention, while using this I've found it handy for those Malamar's that might try to get off a superpower on Shiftry. So yeah, use this with another defogger and have fun boasting that your Shiftry is the best Shiftry :)
There is no reason to use X-Scissors as Low Kick OHKOs nearly every time with Adamant and Low Kick also hits Pawniard and Probopass (and Hariyama as hard as Seed Bomb, for a 2HKO). Malamar is irrelevant

Cased

Banned deucer.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Return / Facade
- Sucker Punch

While Kangaskhan as a SubPuncher may lack resistances, a water immunity (Poliwrath), and STAB, she makes up for it with higher HP, higher Speed, and priority in Sucker Punch. Kanga can easily set up a Substitute against weak attackers, or walls like Audino, Lickilicky, and Ferroseed. From there it can just spam Focus Punch freely, not even caring about Ghosts thanks to Scrappy. Scrappy also allows it to nail a foolish Spiritomb who may want to switch and set up Calm Mind with Focus Punch. Return provides powerful STAB. (You could also run Facade if you're REALLY worried about Tomb's Infiltrator Will-o-Wisp. Just remember to pack a teammate with Heal Bell.) Sucker Punch allows you to finish off faster foes if the opponent decides to attack. The EVs are to maximize Attack, provide a bit of speed (outspeeding Adamant Shiftry), and give some additional bulk.

252+ Atk Kangaskhan Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 148-176 (50.6 - 60.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Kangaskhan Focus Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mismagius: 219-258 (83.5 - 98.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Kangaskhan Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Spiritomb: 198-234 (65.1 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Kangaskhan Focus Punch vs. 100 HP / 0 Def Klinklang: 258-304 (90.2 - 106.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Kangaskhan Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Regirock: 158-186 (43.4 - 51%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Kangaskhan Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Spiritomb: 138-163 (45.3 - 53.6%) -- 92.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

I recommend a try :)

EDIT: Added more information and a couple more calcs.
Hey man I used this last SPL and you might laugh but I suggest Disable over Sucker Punch! It allows for a lot easier Substitutes against a lot of Defensive Pokemon that commonly rely on a single STAB as an attack move. Also you want all the Speed you can get when using this set, I actually ran Jolly max Speed, and I ran a fair amount of HP. Unfortunately Spiritomb burns go through but Spiritombs don't like coming in on Returns anyways so it's not a big deal.

Glad to see this set getting a lot more use than I expected in XY NU, cheers

Hey man I used this last SPL and you might laugh but I suggest Disable over Sucker Punch! It allows for a lot easier Substitutes against a lot of Defensive Pokemon that commonly rely on a single STAB as an attack move. Also you want all the Speed you can get when using this set, I actually ran Jolly max Speed, and I ran a fair amount of HP. Unfortunately Spiritomb burns go through but Spiritombs don't like coming in on Returns anyways so it's not a big deal.

Glad to see this set getting a lot more use than I expected in XY NU, cheers
Really cool suggestion, added to post.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
So after looking at the gimmicky item called Safety Goggles, I finally came up with a (the) Pokemon that can make use of it effectively.

Cryogonal @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze Dry
- Icy Wind
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

The most common users of Sleep Powder are Vileplume and Vivillon. Cryogonal can easily handle both of them for the most part, and Safety Goggles even protects Cryo from Stun Spore. +1 Vivillon does 2HKO this Cryogonal, so a more defensive spread can be used, but this one attempts to remedy that problem with Icy Wind, allowing Cryo to 2HKO Vivillon first. A fun option for teams unwilling to invest too heavily into defensive Vileplume / Vivillon switch-ins.

So, since a lot of people abuse combusken- pass at the moment I thought of this moveset, to try for a counter sweep:

Bibarel @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Impish Nature
- Amnesia
- Curse
- Waterfall
- Rest

Its more a fun idea, the set works pretty good against a lot of the common set- up pokemons (slurpuff or cm tomb, aswell as klinklang or feraligatr). It also counters combusken- pass to a certain amount, xatus stored power still hurts, but as long as they don't get a free switch in it, you should win the match- up (I won 3 out of 3 encounters against combusken- pass with this set). Just bring it in on combusken and try to set up along side with it. I also know, that there are better ways to deal with combusken pass, but they dont include bibarel, so they aren't as cool.

Some random calcs:

252+ SpA Slurpuff Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 56 SpD Bibarel: 150-177 (41.4 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Klinklang Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bibarel: 101-119 (27.9 - 32.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Feraligatr Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bibarel: 135-160 (37.2 - 44.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Silk Scarf Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Bibarel: 136-162 (37.5 - 44.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Xatu Stored Power (140 BP) vs. +2 252 HP / 56 SpD Bibarel: 141-166 (38.9 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 0 Atk Unaware Bibarel Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Xatu: 151-178 (55.7 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I have made a custom moveset for Liepard. Liepard is known to make people rip their hair out by using Prankster Thunder Wave and Swagger. In combination with Foul Play this was 1 of the sets that everyone hated facing. Or even the Assist Roar / Whirlwind set, back in Gen 5 NU. Those moves have gotten banned and people often state that Liepard has become useless. But I made an offensive Special Attacking set for Liepard which works suprisingly well.

This is the set:

Liepard @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Dark Pulse
- Copycat

This set is gravitating around setting up a Substitute and a Nasty Plot. To allow Liepard to do big damage with his STAB Dark Pulse move. Let me explain the moves. The first move on this set is Nasty Plot. Nasty Plot is a move that will double your Special Attacking stat(2×). This will boost Liepards average Special Attacking stat to deadly amounts. The second move is going to be Substitute. This will put Liepard behind a protective barrier to protect Liepard from status moves such as Toxic, Burn and Paralysis. The Substitute will fade when Liepard took more damage than he sacrifized to create the Substitute. The third move is going to be Dark Pulse. This is a base 80 power Dark Type move which Liepard gets STAB (Same Type Attack Bonus) on. STAB adds a 1.5× boost to a move that is the same typing as the user. In this case the base 80 power becomes 120 power. This move has a 30% chance to flinch the opponent meaning that if Liepard is faster and you flinch the opponent, the will not be able to move for 1 turn. The last move is Copycat. Copycat is a non attacking move which will copy the last move used in battle. After boosting your Special Attack with Nasty Plot, something will take a heavy amount of damage with a chance to flinch. Copycat then copies the move allowing it to get +1 Priority due to the Prankster ability. Meaning Liepard is save from other priority moves that people want to attack Liepard with after it gets set up.

This set enjoys the support of Toxic Spikes. This allows Liepard to stall out the bulky Fighting, Fairy or Dark types that resist the only move Liepard carries being Dark Pulse. Toxic Spikes damage will rack up turn by turn. This means Liepard can get by bulky pokémon such as Throh, Pangoro, Granbull and Hariyama.

The EV's are very simple. We have max Special Attack to maximize out Liepards offensive power. We have 252 Speed maximizing out his base 106 speed. And the remaining 4 EV's don't matter as much, but they are dumped into Special Defense.

I have put 0 Attack IV's meaning Liepard can set up on pokémon with only Foul Play as their offensive move. Such as, the rare Foul Play Spiritomb. You can also switch in on Cosmic Power Sigilyph. Which usually only carries Stored Power as an offensive move. You can Substitute on the predicted Psycho Shift and proceed to set up to atleast +4. The 0 Attack IV's also make sure Liepard takes minimum damage from hitting himself in confusion.

I know there are several things that resist the move Dark Pulse. Such as Fairy, Fighting and Dark types. The most threat to this set is probably a bulky Fighting type like Gurdurr or Pangoro which 4× resist it. A good team mate for Liepard is a pokémon that can deal with the types listed. A Granbull can take care of the Fighting and Dark types which would wall the set effectively. A STAB Play Rough is going to take out most of the Dark and Fighting types that can stop Liepard's potential to sweep.

The EV spread can be changed to make Liepard a better revenge killer. Another EV spread for this set could be: 252 SAtk, 252 Spd, 4 Atk with a Rash nature. So Liepard can also do something on the physical side. This set was meant for sweeping instead of revenge killing, so I decided to go with a Timid Nature. I hope you guys found this explaination usefull and decide to give Sub Nasty Cat Liepard a try. See you in the NU tier!

Replays:
1. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-131382427 vs Relttek
2. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-130649234 vs SonicRamon5682
3. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-130570312 vs Gabidou99
4. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-130568763 vs TopTierTrash (Quite Quiet)
5. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-130323485 vs help i'm new
This set is relatively old but I've been playing with it recently and I must say it surprised me with how good it was. I ran the same set but with Encore to force more switches and give myself more setup opportunities, not to mention being a good check to setup sweepers like Barbaracle and CHICKEN. I also used BlackGlasses cos I'm not running sub anyway. With basic entry hazard support (SR + 1 layer), Liepard at +2 actually hits hard enough to O/2HKO most non-walls and outprioritizes almost everything as long as you get your first Dark Pulse in, while walls can be set up on if you Encore them into a bad move. Liepard also gets quite a good amount of setup opportunities by itself. Copycat is also a pretty good move in general and it's nice copying moves such as recovery, status moves, and random attacking moves as well. It's funny when they Will-O-Wisp your Liepard, switch out to their Fighting-type fearing Encore, and then get completely wrecked by Copycat.

Obviously you'll need to support this thing with hazard support and weakening Dark resists but once that's out of the way Liepard can come in, create a setup opportunity and clean up.

Try this set.
Liepard @ BlackGlasses
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Copycat
- Dark Pulse
- Encore

I'm still new to this tier, but I've been using this Uxie set and it's gotten me pretty far.

Uxie @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Trick
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave

Basically, the idea is to trick the scarf to a pokemon that doesn't like scarves, and then either a. Paralyze the pokemon, rendering the scarf useless, or b. Crippling the switchin with Twave, setting up rocks, and then U-turning to something that can set up. I like using this with Spiritomb, which can then para flinch with Dark Pulse.

Okay guys, this a cool new Uxie set I made:

Uxie @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Heal Bell
- Yawn
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave

First and foremost, this set IS tested, I tested with my friend Swagalge and it did very well. Basically the idea of this set is to use Yawn on a common switch-in to Uxie, such as Pawniard, then we click Yawn and the Pawniard will be forced to switch out into something else, then I can U-turn into my counter to the switch-in Pokemon. The set is Yawn to force switches, Heal Bell to make Uxie act as a cleric and as a Paralysis spammer in one poke, U-turn to get a lot of momentum and it having amazing synergy with Yawn is basically what made me decide to make this set. And T-Wave to slow down some pokemon for my slower pokes to outspeed them. And this set can also force Combusken to think twice about Baton Passing, because if I remember correctly, Yawn gets Baton Passed too, and it can stop Baton Pass in it's tracks causing those type of teams a lot of pressure.

This set is very well used with hazard setters, such as Ferroseed, Seismitoad, Dragalge, Quilladin, Torterra, Qwilfish, and many more.

All in all, I think it's a very good set. Give it a try, it's not a set from BT, trust me. Lemme know what you think :D

And this set can also force Combusken to think twice about Baton Passing, because if I remember correctly, Yawn gets Baton Passed too, and it can stop Baton Pass in it's tracks causing those type of teams a lot of pressure.
Yawn doesn't get baton passed sadly. I like the set though, really nice idea.

Okay guys, this a cool new Uxie set I made:

Uxie @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Heal Bell
- Yawn
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave
I'm pretty sure that was the common support set from gen 5 ru. It worked well then with either yawn or rocks. I still looks like it'd be pretty solid in nu this gen.

Cacturne @ Life orb
Ability: Water absorb
EVs: 236 Atk / 224 Sp. Atk / 48 Spd
Naughty nature
-Sucker Punch
-Dark Pulse
-Giga Drain
-Hidden power (fire)

At first glance Cacturne may seem like an inferior Shiftry. However it is so much more than that.
Looking at Cacturne's stats, one may look at it's offensive stats: 115 Attack and an equal Special Attack to boast. Why is it in NU then you may ask? 55 Speed. The 48 Spd is to outspeed 0spd Weezing.
This, however is mitigated by Cacturne's Sucker Punch coming off that skyhigh attack whis is in turn boosted by Life orb.
This set also lures in common physical walls, such as Steelix ( lol ), Granbull, Vileplume or Ferroseed, all of which promply get 2HKO'd, as the following calcs prove.

224 SpA Life Orb Cacturne Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Vileplume: 165-196 (46.6 - 55.3%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
224 SpA Life Orb Cacturne Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Granbull: 216-255 (56.2 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
224 SpA Life Orb Cacturne Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Steelix: 218-257 (61.5 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
224 SpA Life Orb Cacturne Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 228 SpD Eviolite Ferroseed: 182-218 (62.3 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Those are just some walls that came to mind, feel free to request more calcs.

Next, it's ability to check the tier's versatile and/or incredibly powerful attackers.

236+ Atk Life Orb Cacturne Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Typhlosion: 208-246 (69.7 - 82.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
236+ Atk Life Orb Cacturne Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Magmortar: 235-278 (80.4 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
236+ Atk Life Orb Cacturne Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Electivire: 235-278 (80.4 - 95.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
236+ Atk Life Orb Cacturne Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Pyroar: 222-263 (70.7 - 83.7%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
236+ Atk Life Orb Cacturne Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Archeops: 242-285 (83.1 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Please not that because Cacturne has Water Absorb, Feraligatr is forced to use it's coverage move and Cacturne WILL get the Sucker Punch off. Or you could play mindgames and Giga Drain.
236+ Atk Life Orb Cacturne Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Feraligatr: 169-200 (54.1 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

I think that that wall of calcs proves a point.
There are some checks to Cacturne, of course. Gurdurr can check, but cannot come in on Giga Drain twice.
224 SpA Life Orb Cacturne Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Gurdurr: 165-195 (44.1 - 52.1%) -- 75.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Dragalge can roast poor cactus with it's Poison STAB:
236+ Atk Life Orb Cacturne Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dragalge: 187-220 (55.9 - 65.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

I think everyone should give this spooky cactus a try!

I have a fun little Magmortar set:

Magmortar @ Scope Lens
Ability: Vital Spirit
Timid Nature
- Focus Energy
- Overheat
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

This set takes advantage of the Gen 6 changes to Critical Hit mechanics. Scope Lens + Focus Energy means that Magmortar gets 100% Critical Hits, unless battling an opponent with Battle Armor/Shell Armor. Since it's a critical hit, it negates the Special Attack drop that normally accompanies Overheat, resulting in the ability to spam Overheat. Magmortar, with a reputation as a powerful offensive threat, has the ability to force out the many Grass, Bug, and Steel types found in NU. This gives you the opportunity to set up Focus Energy. Vital Spirit also helps you set up on Sleep inducers, including but not limited to Sleep Powder Vivillon, and Yawn Torkoal. Auto-Crits also help you go through opponents' Special Defense boosts, allowing you to deal with pokemon that abuse Quiver Dance, Calm Mind, and Cosmic Power. It is imperative that you have Sticky Web support, and a Spinner is pretty nice to have as well.

Standard Magmortar sets tend to rely on forcing a switch, predicting what your opponent will switch into. This Magmortar set allows you to deal with whatever threat has switched in. While it doesn't have the wall-breaking power of the mixed sets, it has more sweeping potential than your standard Life Orb wall-breaker set.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-151380577
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-151383930
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-151411414

Last edited:

Magmortar @ Scope Lens
Timid Nature
- Focus Energy
- Overheat
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

This set takes advantage of the Gen 6 changes to Critical Hit mechanics. Scope Lens + Focus Energy means that Magmortar gets 100% Critical Hits, unless battling an opponent with Battle Armor/Shell Armor. Since it's a critical hit, it negates the Special Attack drop that normally accompanies Overheat, resulting in the ability to spam Overheat. Magmortar, with a reputation as a powerful offensive threat, has the ability to force out the many Grass, Bug, and Steel types found in NU. This gives you the opportunity to set up Focus Energy. Vital Spirit also helps you set up on Sleep inducers, including but not limited to Sleep Powder Vivillon, and Yawn Torkoal. Auto-Crits also help you go through opponents' Special Defense boosts, allowing you to deal with pokemon that abuse Quiver Dance, Calm Mind, and Cosmic Power. It is imperative that you have Sticky Web support, and a Spinner is pretty nice to have as well.

Standard Magmortar sets tend to rely on forcing a switch, predicting what your opponent will switch into. This Magmortar set allows you to deal with whatever threat has switched in. While it doesn't have the wall-breaking power of the mixed sets, it has more sweeping potential than your standard Life Orb wall-breaker set.

Replays:
This is probably the coolest mortar set I have seen, but I don't understand why you don't have EQ instead of focus blast, given that both overheat and f-blast both 2HKO max investment audino on a crit, and EQ lets you still 2hko dragalge?

This is probably the coolest mortar set I have seen, but I don't understand why you don't have EQ instead of focus blast, given that both overheat and f-blast both 2HKO max investment audino on a crit, and EQ lets you still 2hko dragalge?
I actually like that one better. Maybe something like this:

Magmortar @ Scope Lens
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Focus Energy
- Overheat
- Earthquake
- Thunderbolt

I like this set substantially better because it deals with Lanturn and Dragalge. All of the above basically still applies, too.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor

Magmortar @ Scope Lens
Timid Nature
- Focus Energy
- Overheat
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

Replays:
252+ SpA Life Orb Magmortar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 179-212 (44.3 - 52.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ SpA Magmortar Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 246-289 (60.8 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(+1 basically means on a crit here)

In order to become just a bit stronger than a Mild Magmortar with LO you have to sacrifice a turn in which you can also clobber the switchin as well as a precious moveslot. That's just not worth it, if the Pokemon switched in can't outspeed Mortar attacking right off the bat is always better. Magmortar isn't meant to be a sweeper of sorts, it's just too slow for that to work properly. I commend you for the idea though, it's pretty original and it's not exactly bad, it's just that I see little reason to use it over a standard Magmortar, mostly because lacking a certain coverage will be very noticeable.

On actually good Magmortar sets

Magmortar @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Sunny Day
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake / Psychic
- Solarbeam

As Magmortar forces quite a lot of switches it is pretty easy to set up a Sunny Day.
Life Orb Fire Blast is a ridiculous nuke in sun, Solarbeam is cool af to smash Rock types, and having one less weakness is always good.
Eq and Psychic weaken conventional sun checks like Dragalge and Defensive Flareon making this set fantastic on sun teams.
I haven't tested it without sun but it should do work there too.

Some set for NFE's that work very well

Krokorok @ Choice Scarf
Jolly/Adamant nature
252Atk/ 252 SpD
Ability: Moxie
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Crunch

Braixen @ Choice Scarf/Choice Specs
Timid Nature
252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd
Ability Blaze
Fire Blast
Psyshock
HP Ground
Grass Knot

Marshtomp @ Eviolite
Impish/Bold Nature
252 Def\Sp. Def/252 HP
Ability: Torrent
Scald/Waterfall
Rest
Sleep Talk
Counter/Mirror Coat

These sets work very well, and Krokorok is especially hard to stop when it gets moxies up. I like pairing Marshtomp with a Sap Sipper pokemon and a Liquid Ooze pokemon (EG Sawsbuck, Swalot)
Have Fun with these =]

Rampardos @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Head Smash
- Pain Split
- Focus Punch

Here he is! The one and only subsmashsplitpunch Rampardos! Can be yours for only 3,59. But i can tell by looking at your faces, you wanna know why you should get your hands on this majestic piece of prehistorical treasure. Well i'll tell you why you NEED this rampardos.
Are you one of those people that likes to see the fear in your opponent's eyes?
Do you like watching people suffer as their will-o-wisp or sleep powder gets sponged by a substitute?
Well then this set is perfect for you! While having almost no more competitive value over regular choice band ramp, this fiercefull dino focuses on wrecking dreams by subbing on that one crucial status move. And that's when you strike! When your opponent is trying to break your sub and isn't called golurk or spiritomb, you hit them right in the guts with either a powerfull STAB head smash or a painfully placed focus punch.
And what about when that recoil gets to much? what when your leftovers from the day before can't deal with the damage racking up? well you throw more pain and sorrow at your enemies by stealing their hp and making it your own with the most precious move pain split! I can hear all you people think now: oh my god this is amazing.
Wait! It gets even better! for only 5 dollars extra you get the extra 112 speed ev's that allow you to outspeed Mantine! Yes, That floating stingray that usually brings pain and destruction upon every rampardos set can now be taken out by a swift head smash to the face!
As a small bonus, you can now sub down on weezing's will-o-wisp! After wich the floating blob of terror has no way of breaking your sub. That by itself is a reason to buy our full ramp set with ev's included!
On top of that, his shiny sprite looks fancy as a peacock! That's one fabulous ass pokemon isn't it.

MFF family trade business is not responsible for the usage of bad sets in the NU metagame.

252 Atk Rampardos Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 200-236 (68.4 - 80.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Rampardos Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Steelix: 170-200 (48 - 56.4%) -- 35.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Rampardos Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Spiritomb: 201-237 (66.1 - 77.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Weezing Thunderbolt vs. 192 HP / 0 SpD Rampardos: 99-117 (25.8 - 30.5%) -- 2.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery (hey, I'm a sales manager. I need to feed my family to)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)