Pokémon Diancie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I feel Diance will only be viable on Stall or as a 'reliable' Trick Room/Stealth Rock setter. While its defenses allow it to take on common threats such as Mega Charizard X and Talonflame, it lacks the move pool or speed to do much else. Even with max defense it still can't take on the physical attackers of ou, bar the two aforementioned mons, and lacks reliable recovery. Being weak to steel and ground in a meta where Mega Mawile and Excadrill and Mega Scizor run lose and not being able to even damage those steel types bar HP Fire/Fighting/Ground, i just don't see the use in using it over a Physical wall like Skarmory who has stealth rock, a recovery move, and a phasing move. Pair it with a fire resist and those two do Diance's job + more. Just my two cents though.
Diancie actually works really well as a bulky mixed attacker though. It only needs hp fire, moonblast, and diamond storm to contribute. It works well in conjunction with mega heracross and can also act as a solid screen setter with explosion.

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Diancie actually works really well as a bulky mixed attacker though. It only needs hp fire, moonblast, and diamond storm to contribute. It works well in conjunction with mega heracross and can also act as a solid screen setter with explosion.
Do you have any replays or proof or is this just theorymoning?

Do you have any replays or proof or is this just theorymoning?
I dont have great diancie centric replay, but I will post something later on tonight when I get home. I think at least one of my replays shows diancie's potential.

Edit: Here's a decent one of my recent endeavors. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-142407729
Don't mind the poor play on both sides and the pretty shitty teams. Diancie has an untimely death to tangrowth, but I just kind of assumed it was ready made for trick room. While not overly powerful, it takes hits from the porygon 2 pretty nicely and does decent damage considering Porygon's massive bulk.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-142142124 This one is a bit better. My opponent got lucky with diamond storm missing, but without any physical defense evs, I comfortably took an earthquake from pinsir although it seemed like I wouldn't have taken a swords dance earthquake. Heracross easily cleans up late game.

So, not amazing, but it works fairly well on bulky offense as a stealth rock setting mixed attacker. I guess I hope it goes to UU though to be honest. Outside of baffling conkeldurr, flying spam, and charizard X, it really isn't that great, but not as terrible as many would have you believe though.

Last edited:
Honestly I feel Diance will only be viable on Stall or as a 'reliable' Trick Room/Stealth Rock setter. While its defenses allow it to take on common threats such as Mega Charizard X and Talonflame, it lacks the move pool or speed to do much else. Even with max defense it still can't take on the physical attackers of ou, bar the two aforementioned mons, and lacks reliable recovery. Being weak to steel and ground in a meta where Mega Mawile and Excadrill and Mega Scizor run lose and not being able to even damage those steel types bar HP Fire/Fighting/Ground, i just don't see the use in using it over a Physical wall like Skarmory who has stealth rock, a recovery move, and a phasing move. Pair it with a fire resist and those two do Diance's job + more. Just my two cents though.
Trick Room Diancie's the only one that trips me up in team preview, and I agree that's its most viable / most threatening role. It even seems to be designed for a TR setter. Magic Bounce means opposing Taunt leads are screwed, and it potentially has the bulk to be a sort of Trick Room pivot. Will be really, really interesting to see what the Mega's speed is boosted to - I think even 80-100 under Trick Room would be great for it to threaten all the Keldeos, Garchomps, and potentially even Charizards of the OU world.

Last edited:

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I dont have great diancie centric replay, but I will post something later on tonight when I get home. I think at least one of my replays shows diancie's potential.

Edit: Here's a decent one of my recent endeavors. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-142407729
Don't mind the poor play on both sides and the pretty shitty teams. Diancie has an untimely death to tangrowth, but I just kind of assumed it was ready made for trick room. While not overly powerful, it takes hits from the porygon 2 pretty nicely and does decent damage considering Porygon's massive bulk.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-142142124 This one is a bit better. My opponent got lucky with diamond storm missing, but without any physical defense evs, I comfortably took an earthquake from pinsir although it seemed like I wouldn't have taken a swords dance earthquake. Heracross easily cleans up late game.

So, not amazing, but it works fairly well on bulky offense as a stealth rock setting mixed attacker. I guess I hope it goes to UU though to be honest. Outside of baffling conkeldurr, flying spam, and charizard X, it really isn't that great, but not as terrible as many would have you believe though.
eh i wouldn't use the second battle as a good example. Your opponent brought in Pinsir on a Diancie when he had Azumarill and others to threaten it. I just don't see it doing work in a high level match. I know of the roles it can play but eh

Vryheid

fudge jelly
Will be really, really interesting to see what the Mega's speed is boosted to - I think even 80-100 under Trick Room would be great for it to threaten all the Keldeos, Garchomps, and potentially even Charizards of the OU world.
you know I've tried doing this on teams before with moderate speed Trick Room users like Gallade but every time that happens the opponent ends up bringing out some even slower mon like Amoonguss or bulky Bisharp and I end up getting screwed. if the Mega ends up being fast it's a waste of a stat anyways, anything over 60 speed should not be even considering trick room

I really feel like this Pokemon is another mon Gamefreak specifically designed for the Doubles meta. diamond storm hits both opponents and Trick Room is a much more useful setup move there. right now the design of this mon feels like its trying to be a jack of all trades, but that doesn't amount to much in the heavily fine-tuned OU meta we have

I gave Diancie a go and it does well against certain Pokemon in 1 vs 1. I tried Assault Vest and mixed attacks and found myself beating Charizard Y's, Mega Pinsirs, Talonflames, Mega Alakazams. Trying Diancie on a trick room team, it was... OK. This isn't really an OU level Pokemon, better in UU. It's a shame that Diancie is stuck in OU for a while because of the unnecessarily hostile attitudes too many players have on Showdown. Mega Diancie I have hopes for, but ORAS in general.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
i really think its movepool is the thing holding it back and not its typing/stats. base 100 attacks are impressive but you're forced to go mixed or have poor coverage. it has to rely on restalk for recovery instead of something like roost / synthesis the OU defensive megas use [char x /venu].

but every remake game has had move tutors and I wouldnt be surprised if those new moves gave diancie the boost it needed to be a solid OU mon, especially if its mega evolution gets ideal stat changes.

eh i wouldn't use the second battle as a gdecentralizexample. Your opponent brought in Pinsir on a Diancie when he had Azumarill and others to threaten it. I just don't see it doing work in a high level match. I know of the roles it can play but eh
Like I said, didnt really have any good replays for diancie. I just thought that was decent show of bulk. I have also seen a decrease in the number of stupid plays against diancie since posting this replay. I used to be able to use it as a scizor/ferrothorn lure, now, not so much. Anyway, hope it falls to uu soon.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Turns out that I like Bronzong much better than Diancie on tr.

Both of them are running the same sr explode set, so more often than not they will be leading.

Diancie does not have a good typing for the lead position. Water and ground moves (hi garchomp) frequently 1hko, despite the defenses. Lead Maw is a huge threat to TR already, and it can easily 1hko diancie right off the bat.

Bronzong on the other hand is only weak to dark and ghost (heatproof bluff shenanigans imo. sorry talonflame) which are both types that are awkward to lead with, and something like p2 or even aromatisse can take these instead.

Too many games where diancie simply couldn't get the job done, which was quite surprising

At least it's pretty

Last edited:
Turns out that I like Bronzong much better than Diancie on tr.

Both of them are running the same sr explode set, so more often than not they will be leading.

Diancie does not have a good typing for the lead position. Water and ground moves (hi garchomp) frequently 1hko, despite the defenses. Lead Maw is a huge threat to TR already, and it can easily 1hko diancie right off the bat.

Bronzong on the other hand is only weak to dark and ghost (heatproof bluff shenanigans imo. sorry talonflame) which are both types that are awkward to lead with, and something like p2 or even aromatisse can take these instead.

Too many games where diancie simply couldn't get the job done, which was quite surprising

At least it's pretty
Doesn't heatproof bronzong get blasted by ground moves anyway? Knock off is everywhere too, especially on leads, doesnt that hurt bronzong more than diancie? What exactly does bonzong do against mawille?

Doesn't heatproof bronzong get blasted by ground moves anyway? Knock off is everywhere too, especially on leads, doesnt that hurt bronzong more than diancie? What exactly does bonzong do against mawille?
Yeah, but there's no chance for your opponent to know which ability you run on your Bronzong from beginning, so you already force a mind games with him. Plus Levitate is IMO more popular and in overall better ability to run, so Heatproof is less expected. Especially when you lead with it on dedicated TR team.

I also think Bronzong is overall better pick for dedicated SR + TR Explosion user then Diance and MikeDawg's post explain this really well. Also as a dedicated TR users there are more reliable picks like Porygon2 (yeah, not really Ubers material, but REALLY durable with Eviolite on and Knock Off in Ubers isn't actually that common, so it's more reliable) or Uxie (which is also pretty bulk and has U-Turn to save up TR turn, which is REALLY crucial when you take into account it lasts only 1 turn). Also we have stuff like Palkia or Dialga, which are TR users with much higher offensive presence. So yeah, LOTS of competition here for Diance.

Last edited:
Just want to say that this thing isn't so bad in Ubers, dealing with Dakrai's, Yveltal's and Ho-Oh's. I guess in OU Talonflame and Charizard are its best jobs

I've been using this in OU, I can't say I don't like it, but I don't exactly like it either. Only thing I actually found use for was TR set-up. I don't think it can set up screens as well. I could be wrong, but I still see Azelf as a better screener.

i really think its movepool is the thing holding it back and not its typing/stats. base 100 attacks are impressive but you're forced to go mixed or have poor coverage. it has to rely on restalk for recovery instead of something like roost / synthesis the OU defensive megas use [char x /venu].

but every remake game has had move tutors and I wouldnt be surprised if those new moves gave diancie the boost it needed to be a solid OU mon, especially if its mega evolution gets ideal stat changes.
Pretty much agree here, while I can't say it would be OU or not OU, at the very least it would be a lot more usable had it been blessed with a movepool much more expansive than it currently has. I find its typing while mired with weaknesses is a lot like Celebi in the last gen in that it is relevant enough to give it enough leeway to switch in only problem is of course unlike Celebi it doesn't exactly have much to do once it gets in, aside from maybe setting up (TR/Hazards/Toxic). From there it just kinda ends up being death fodder...

Im starting to think that the best thing Diancie could achieve is forcing Banded talonflame to use steel wing on its 4th moveslot.

I mean it is fun to use rockpolish or use her as a surprise SS recipient but otside of luring some stuff it seems to require too much team support to work. I do admit Aegis ban made things a bit easier, but diancie movepool is really draging her behind.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Im starting to think that the best thing Diancie could achieve is forcing Banded talonflame to use steel wing on its 4th moveslot.

I mean it is fun to use rockpolish or use her as a surprise SS recipient but otside of luring some stuff it seems to require too much team support to work. I do admit Aegis ban made things a bit easier, but diancie movepool is really draging her behind.
Talonflame doesn't need to run Steel Wing since it has U-turn and likes being able to give out clutch Tailwinds.

Talonflame doesn't need to run Steel Wing since it has U-turn and likes being able to give out clutch Tailwinds.
I was trying to crack a joke but you are rigth. Against a RP Diancie its always better to uturn if it hasnt used RP or setup Tailwind as a last ditch effort for a free bost to a partner instead of losing momentum.

IMO diancie is going to be UU or RU but I think it's Mega could be great. All it needs is a move tutor to hit steels or if it is good enough maybe it could be partnered with a magnezone to kill those pesky steels.

Hoopa, I think, having got it from a powersave actually might make the cut to UU though most likely RU. Many people have dismissed it mainly due to its 4 times weakenss to dark and ghost. However it has no other weaknesses (ghost resists bug). That being said Hoopa is super frail physically having only 60 defence. It has a great special defence stat of 130 and with a base 80 HP it has pretty good special bulk. Hoopa a base 150 special attack and a usable attack of 110 and its signature move is Hyperspace Hole which is a psychic type feint with 80 BP. People are underestimating it right now imo.

Volcanion looks so great I think it will be OU. Gaining an immunity from its abillity which is the only good abillity from any of these event legendaries as well as a more accurate Hydro Pump/ Super Scald this thing is going to be a beast. Sporting a base 120 defence stat and a base 80 HP stat it is quite physically bulky however is does have a very bad special defence stat. I think assault vest might be good on it. It also has will-o-wisp a handy support move to have and although it's quite slow I think it will be quite good as a choice scarfer.

Not sure the other poke analysis is relevant but YOLO.

I think M-Diancie could potentially be a great receiver of quickpass. Scolipede, a smashpasser, a quiver dancer, etc. could pass on a boost and the opponent would be unable to phaze or status it. The main obstacle is to find time to mega evolve it beforehand, and of course, pokemon such as Scizor will have be eliminated before the player tries to pass a boost on to M-Diancie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)