Project XY RU Research Week #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Molk
OP stolen from Mazz
Taken over from HotnCold

RESEARCH WEEK #6

• Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; look at its stats, movepool, and typing and think something up!
  • Feel free to theorymon early in the research period, but make it clear you're doing so. Later in the period though, you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, actual sets, perhaps even teams.
  • Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's very likely that something has gone unnoticed.
  • Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon I choose and / or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. Feel free to VM / PM me these suggestions, but don't expect me to always listen to you.
A few things to clarify:
  • Early period means the first three days of the research week, so let's keep the theorymoning to a minimum after. The late period refers to the last four days of the research week, where raw evidence and discussion should become the basis of the thread.
  • Sign-Ups close Wednesday night, so be sure to sign up before they close!
  • You must post a ladder ranking in order to win.

This Week's Research Pokemon:

Sandslash | Gastrodon | PANGORO
How useful are these Pokemon in XY RU? What sets can they run effectively? What gives them trouble? What advantages do they have over other Pokemon? How well do they work in the metagame? If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! It doesn't matter if you've used them or have just faced them in battle, anything is fine (but please, do try them). Just be sure to back up your posts with good competitive reasoning. Remember, discussion is not limited to this topic, you are encouraged to talk about these Pokemon in #rarelyused as well!

The Research Group Challenge:

In order to participate you must do the following:
  • Post here with a fresh alt and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
  • Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us!
  • Remember to submit your ranking!
The first stage of the challenge will be very relaxed so theorymon will be allowed as long as its backed up by good reasoning. During the later stage, discussion will be expected to be backed up by hard evidence, such as teams, actual sets, and logs. The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown RU ladder on the alt they registered at the time the challenge ends. Prizes are currently being discussed with higher powers, so hang tight while I find something worth your guys' attention.

Week #2:
Xenoblade911
Week #3:
galbia
Week #4:
Migzoo
Week #5:
The Leprechaun

The Leprechaun

wear nike not fila
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Holy shit gabia I dare you to be more on time with this shit. Also I'll either use panda or specs Viking slug I dunno I'll edit tomorrow

Started to make a team and sandslash fit really well so i'm testing that instead.

Alt: God lives through

Last edited:
Alt: SlugsForBreakfast
Pokemon: Gastrodon and Pangoro

Haven't used Gastro in a long time, not sure if it's any worse in this meta than in the meta I was last used it in. (Not sure if it was Torn or Froslass but I believe either one of those)

(The spinner scapegoat of Gen 5 (Sandslash) is better than Claydol AND Hitmonchan in terms of viability; Suck on that RU ladder noobs)
Edit: Only using Gastro, because the team I used didn't really fit Panda at all. (Plus freeing it means more options)

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Alt: Transylvania

Pokemon: Pangoro, gonna try out a band at first and if the low speed is an issue gonna switch to scarf.

Might try out sandslash as a spinner but if I cant fit him on the team then oh wells.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
Alt: Admin Fugitora

Pokemon: Pangoro and Sandslash. Why is Claydol even used when Sandslash exists ?_?

Okay, so to make up for my lack of participation last time, I'm gonna give my thoughts on the Pokemon. I am theorymoning, so don't hate me for it.

Sandslash is arguably the best spinner in the tier because it absolutely destroys the most common spinblocker, Doublade. With enough Attack investment, Knock Off + Earthquake wipes it out and Doublade does pitiful damage back. If you couldn't tell, Sandslash is also pretty bulky on the physical side, so that's cool. I think it has just the right amount of offense and defense to function well.

I have limited experience with Gastrodon, but I know it's a decent physical wall. I'm pretty sure it can wall things like Sharpedo, Cobalion, and Kabutops well. I don't have too much to say about it... it seems like your typical bulky Water-type to me. Being immune to Scald and other Water-type attacks while also having reliable recovery in Recover is pretty awesome. Being immune to Electric-type moves is also a plus. With maximum special bulk, it counters Clawitzer like a boss, but I think that's a poor reason to use it. I have barely touched Gastrodon, so I won't talk about it anymore. :/

Pangoro is pretty awesome because it's strong as hell and has that Fighting / Dark STAB coverage. Fairies getting in its way? It learns Poison Jab, so they can just get out. Adamant Choice Banded Iron Fist boosted Hammer Arm from this monster 2HKOs max HP max Def Alomomola after Stealth Rock. Pangoro is pretty slow and its bulk isn't too incredible, so I think I will be using a Choice Scarf on it. Parting Shot is an awesome move, so that will pair well. It's probably pretty good to pair it with a setup sweeper to take advantage of Parting Shot's effect.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
alt: arikdaddy

pokemon: sandslash and pangoro for now, maybe Gastrodon when I feel like it.

I've been wanting to test out Sandslash and Pangoro for a while now but never really got around to it, and I feel like this is finally an opportunity to use them. I also haven't really laddered seriously ever since shuckle's ban and I feel like I should, so yeah. I'll be testing offensive and defensive Sandslash, as well as choice band Pangoro. You just can't pass on something with huge attack, scrappy, amazing typing offensively, and PARTING SHOT which is the definition of momentum. On the other hand, Sandslash, at least on paper, seems like the spinner. Nothing can switch in, and the Swords Dance set seems especially intriguing, but idk how well that will do tbh, at this point it's all just theorymonning for Sandslash.

edit: also, about Gastrodon, there's a very interesting offensive Life Orb set that New Breed posted on IRC yesterday that I kinda wanted to try out. The moveset is Scald / Ice Beam / Earth Power / Recover, but I forgot the EVs.

I'll post sometime with my experience with Sandslash and Pangoro.

edit 2: since i'm not real enough, i'll post my experience after playing 8 games using a team consisted of Sandslash/Pangoro/Yanmega/Dugtrio/Jolteon/Druddigon. I know 8 games is little especially since i'm still in the lower ladder but come on, the entire ru ladder is pretty much lower ladder lol.

First of all, you can probably see where I'm going with this, 2 momentum gainers in the form of Specs Yanmega (u-turn) and Banded Pangoro (Parting Shot), and Banded Dugtrio for maximum evileness. I'm using 252 hp/252 atk Sandslash (with some speed creep ofc), SubPass Jolteon, and LO Druddigon with Outrage/Fire Punch/Sucker Punch/Gunk Shot and Sheer Force. Sandslash has been doing extreme work. first of all, it pretty much 2HKOs all spinblockers:

252+ Atk Sandslash Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 92-110 (28.5 - 34.1%) -- 1.7% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Sandslash Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Doublade: 212-252 (65.8 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Sandslash Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Spiritomb: 141-166 (46.3 - 54.6%) -- 6.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

and ofc I don't need to post calcs vs. Jellicent and Mismagius. It's also, thanks to its good physical bulk, a pretty good fail safe check to Hitmonlee, Cobalion, and pretty much any physical attacker thats not obscenely strong or has a super effective move. It's also a reliable SR setter and spinner, and so far it's done its job very well. I have no idea why Claydol is used when this is a lot better.

Now on Pangoro, it's speed was a huge let down but that doesn't mean its bad. It actually did pretty good and its decently strong with choice band. I used Storm Throw/Crunch/Poison Jab/Parting Shot and it somehow works well with SubPass Jolteon lol. I've come against multiple Specs Jolteon and they like to come in on my own Jolteon and spam Shadow Ball, something which Pangoro can tank easily. I've not seen Parting Shot's true potential yet though, so I'm not sure yet. I need more experience with this thing.

I'll battle more sometime later. The team is very fun to use because momentum + trapping with dugtrio is just too good lol.

Last edited:

The Leprechaun

wear nike not fila
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I came into this week wanting to use anything other than sandslash, then i built a team with zoro and yan to try and test them for the upcoming suspect and sandslash just fit. Sandslash surpassed my expectations and actually has me pretty impressed. It's been the most successful dedicated spinner I've run since RU started, finding it easier to beat doublade than any other spinner with it's great physical bulk, knock off, and stab eq. I actually opted for a physically defensive spread which allowed it to sponge enough hits for it to do its job, be that spin, set up rocks, or ko frail physical attackers (lee, shark, kabutops, cobalion).

I actually found that it is a pretty perfect partner for yanmega with the only shared weak ness being ice, a fairly uncommon type in ru right now. Slash is able to provide spin support, hazard support in rocks and lures in doublade for a kill which is very necessary if you want to carry giga drain for coverage.

All in all, sandslash showed that it can consistently perform its job well in the current meta and acts as a good glue for any team in need of spin support.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-147297962 vs molk testing a gatr team, got rocks up, spun once, and took a surprisingly low amount of damage from Virizion.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-147437733 got up rocks and managed to spin
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-147474247 slash killing shit

:]]]

E:
Screen Shot 2014-08-01 at 20.35.13.png

Last edited:
I'm kinda late this week but the Winner is The Leprechaun (again).
I really liked the discussion even tho it kinda died at some point.
The next week will be up soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)