Gen 6 The XY Ubers Viability Ranking Thread [Read Post #1000]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tornadus-T May not be an Uber...but it can pack some SERIOUS firepower if used right!

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off
- U-turn

This is an example of a Pivot set for Tornadus-T. Use it well.
You're in the wrong thread, this is a thread for discussing viability, if you want to suggest Tornadus gets ranked than please post that. Also you're going to want to run more bulk on your set if you actually want to pivot against ubers pokemon.

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Tornadus-T May not be an Uber...but it can pack some SERIOUS firepower if used right!

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off
- U-turn

This is an example of a Pivot set for Tornadus-T. Use it well.
252 SpA Lustrous Orb Palkia Spacial Rend vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Tornadus-T: 265-313 (88.6 - 104.6%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-T: 292-346 (97.6 - 115.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Teravolt Zekrom Bolt Strike vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-T: 570-672 (190.6 - 224.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Teravolt Zekrom Outrage vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-T: 262-310 (87.6 - 103.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Kyogre Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Tornadus-T in Rain: 498-586 (166.5 - 195.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Ho-Oh Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-T: 337-398 (112.7 - 133.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Mewtwo Y Psystrike vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-T: 267-315 (89.2 - 105.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Mega Mewtwo Y Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Tornadus-T: 324-382 (108.3 - 127.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Mega Mewtwo X Zen Headbutt vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-T: 211-249 (70.5 - 83.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Mega Mewtwo X Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-T: 350-414 (117 - 138.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Tornadus-T: 305-360 (102 - 120.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Nice pivot imo. And that's without rocks.

Unranked ----> C- Rank / C Rank
Mega Venusaur is quite an underrated Pokemon in Ubers and it's really not hard to see why, honestly. It has lackluster stats across the board and doesn't appear to have any defined niche that allows it to be usable whatsoever. However, upon further inspection, you can see how Mega Venusaur has numerous positive traits. Its ability, Thick Fat, mitigates two of its weaknesses, leaving it with only weaknesses to Flying- and Psychic-type moves. Its typing is rather uncommon and gives it many unique resistances including Fighting-, Water-, Grass-, Electric-, and Fairy-type resistances. These resistances allow it to take on Xerneas and Kyogre well, which is quite a feat. It can also abuse Chlorophyll pre-Mega Evolving which can come in handy at times, although I wouldn't count on it really. Mega Venusaur also has a recovery option in Synthesis and a solid movepool to back it all up.

However, Mega Venusaur isn't particularly bulky, nor it particularly strong, it's also not very fast, and it is pretty mediocre. It's outclassed by many Pokemon like Arceus-Grass, Ferrothorn, and Arceus-Poison, for the most part, and a plethora of other defensive Pokemon. Not to mention that Synthesis is cut down in Rain, and the omnipresence of Kyogre means that Rain really isn't all that hard to come by. Mega Venusaur is overwhelmed by a lot of Pokemon and strong attackers in general. The biggest flaw, really, is that it takes up a mega slot which could be used for practically any other Mega in the tier. Despite these flaws, it does have some select pros. It also fits the C Rank description very well:
Reserved for Pokemon with viable offensive or defensive capability. They have certain niches or utility that allow them to perform in specific roles. Reliant on fairly large amounts of team support to function and minimize their inherent flaws. They may also suffer significantly from opportunity cost to the point of being mostly outclassed.
It fits this description. For these reasons, I'd like to see Mega Venusaur put into either C- or C Rank.

I honestly think Mega Venusaur should be C+, although it is outclassed by the pokemon you mentioned, it can hard wall some of the big threats after it has Mega Evolved, like Palkia, Kyogre, can switch into Xerneas and Sleep Powder even, has access to Earthquake to hit pokemon like Klefki and Mega Gengar in case they want to set up spikes or try to trap it, has access to Sludge Bomb, which hits fairies and Arceus-Grass. You can even run Giga Drain and Toxic to beat pokemon like Arceus-Water and Landorus-T, or Hidden Power Fire for Scizor or Ferrothorn. Only big flaw is the Mega Stone :[

I'm going to be frank and nominate Gothitelle for S.

It has an unparalleled support and offensive capacity. If your team is goth weak in any way, then you can expect to instantly lose. Please note that S nomination is only a reflection upon current meta, that nobody bothers to use moves to beat goth on goth weak pokemons.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Lets look at it like this, if mgar is S then goth deserves S or at least A.
Mega Gengar is S because against basically any matchup it proves useful, usually being able to trade one for one at the very least while in others it can trade one for two or even break down a defensive core entirely. Although Goth has Tag from the start as opposed to Mega Gengar, it can be outright lame in certain match ups such as when against offense (this is part of the reason why Mega Kahn works well with it). I sure hope that S rank nomination was a joke, S rank should be for mons that even when in a disfavor-able matchup they can still preform well (Mega Gengar even if the opponent has a Pursuit trapper, Kyogre even if the opponent has a Palkia, Xerneas even if the opponent has a Ho-Oh, etc.)

Goth shouldn't really be considered for S simply because it's a win condition receiving rising popularity before people learn how to deal with it. I realize I don't really play ubers any more, but observation of any metagame really makes it obvious that adaption WILL occur. Punishment, Pursuit, Dark types in general, Scizor, Tauntwo, and so much more will likely become more relevant in the metagame in the same manner that other checks to win conditions have.

absdaddy

Banned deucer.
So you mean it's worthy of being S rank. LOL.
i did not say that lol, what i meant is that goth not always is a deadweight against offense as likes of palk are easily trapped - sure it dies later, but palkia is removed so it did its job, meaning it works as good vs offense as vs other archetypes excluding ho

Mega Gengar is S because against basically any matchup it proves useful, usually being able to trade one for one at the very least while in others it can trade one for two or even break down a defensive core entirely. Although Goth has Tag from the start as opposed to Mega Gengar, it can be outright lame in certain match ups such as when against offense (this is part of the reason why Mega Kahn works well with it). I sure hope that S rank nomination was a joke, S rank should be for mons that even when in a disfavor-able matchup they can still preform well (Mega Gengar even if the opponent has a Pursuit trapper, Kyogre even if the opponent has a Palkia, Xerneas even if the opponent has a Ho-Oh, etc.)
Recover Lum Berry EKiller if the opponent has anything but a Foul Play Yveltal.

Seriously Ferro loses to that thing unless it carries TWave. And MGar is 50/50 as DBond has the same PP as ESpeed.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If Offense is running Palkia at all, Palkia's gonna be an offensive variant like Lustrous Orb since a defensive one's just gonna kill momentum. Level 56 is right, Gothitelle is generally bad versus Offense due to its inability to set up Trick Room versus anything useful in most cases.
Goth can set up on LustKia lol...

Anyways I moved Gothitelle to A- rank because is dumb pokemon

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I mean it can't switch in, gets trolled by Roar/DTail, and falls in Rain. Not to mention that Palkia is typically the only thing Gothitelle can set up on on the standard Suicide Lead / Scarfer / Mega (typically Gengar) / Extreme Killer Arceus / Stallbreaker / Filler (possible Kyogre check) format of offense this gen. Goth is hilariously broken but it can't be denied that it will almost always have a hard time against a well-built offensive team.
It can set up on Scarf Xerneas and Scarf Kyogre without rain (use a Groudon). Also most Palkers dont run phazing on offense

:]

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I personally don't like setting up on Lustrous Orb Palkia because they always carry T-Wave which can screw Gothitelle over in a moment's notice and also because of Spacial Rend's high Crit ratio. You are walking a thin line when setting up on offensive Palkia but it can be done I guess.

Goth does plenty vs offense, it can setup on rain surf from Kyogre so you don't need to sack your gdon for it. Also like piex said, your typical goth + breaker core will involve a slow breaker which will have 4 turns of rape on an offensive team that otherwise gives goth no room to do and die.

Lust Kia's twave and rend is only a problem for the first couple boosts. You'll be safe from anything short of a double crit quite quickly and if you don't want to play with paralysis you can just Rest.

idc where it's placed, this thread is low on my list of priorities with the Tag suspect. Only posting cause fireburn said so.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Here is an example of a team that Gothitelle is more or less dead weight against. I believe it was originally Orch's, but Malefic passed me it since I didn't have a proper laddering team (tyvm btw :]):

Deoxys-Speed @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 44 SpD / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Psycho Boost

Darkrai @ Life Orb
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb
- Dark Void
- Taunt

Zekrom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Outrage
- Sleep Talk
- Volt Switch

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 108 HP / 28 Def / 252 SpA / 120 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Arceus @ Life Orb
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- ExtremeSpeed
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Shadow Claw

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Explosion
- U-turn

The only hope Gothitelle has against a team like this is coming in for free on Xerneas before it sets up, setting Trick Room as it uses Geomancy, and hope its teammates can get something going from there. If Gothitelle isn't carrying Trick Room, then it is just switch fodder against this team (or sleep fodder).
Edit: post 333 btw :]

WreckDra E killer and xerneas are also dead weight against teams that carry stuff like defensive yveltal and aegislash. And that team you posted is naturally screwed by stuff like scarf ogre and xerneas there's no need for goth to trap anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)