(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Sure, sure: no copyright infringements took place <cough cough>

And sure, the concept of temporary evolution has been used but what about the blasted name?
Mega forms/mega evolution. Ring any bells?[/quote]

OP's hate on Pikachu, basically says it all for me. Pikachu saying Pikachu and not its Gen 1 Cry just spells out Game Freak's special love for the mascot rodent.

Though I guess they got me with a few things from the past: such as Lapras Surf, and Psychic move's sound, and Gen3's Hex Maniacs.
Thank god I'm not the only who doesn't like that yellow rat.

Everyone who doesn't play pokemon thinks that we just sit around stroking that blasted Pika-Pika all day... :/

The 10 second delay between hatching an egg and getting to name it, I mean is it really that big of a surprise that you got a magnimite from breeding a magnimite and a ditto that you have to be stunned for TEN SECONDS EACH EGG, before you can name it?

This is really bad when you're tried as hell and just want to see if this batch of magnimites was worth it or not.
To be honest, there is always that one egg that gets left behind in your PC. You can't remember what it is to save your life.

Plus, there are those eggs that you get traded to you.

And if your egg is shiny... well that's worth 10 seconds. Or ten minutes.

Last edited:
Sure, sure: no copyright infringements took place <cough cough>

And sure, the concept of temporary evolution has been used but what about the blasted name?
Mega forms/mega evolution. Ring any bells?
Because I'm sure a red dragon, an armadillo and a salamander are all incredibly original ideas that Pokémon could not POSSIBLY have come up with without Digimon's influence.
And I'm sure the word 'Mega' is a word that was only EVER used by Digimon and nothing can ever use the word in their super forms without drawing obvious influence from Digimon.
Look, I'm sorry to draw this off topic a little, but this is an incredibly weak argument. The bulk of your argument here doesn't even pertain to Mega Evolution specifically, leaving the only connections being the temporary super form - which we've established is an INCREDIBLY common thing in Japanese media - and the word 'Mega', which if I recall correctly is only used in one version of Digivolution. I mean, let's just go over which suffixes have been used for Digivolution. Mega, Super, Ultimate, Hybrid, Beast, Armour, Burst, Champion, Ultimate... it's kind of hard to come up with a description of your super form without using one of those words.
Trying to seriously argue for Mega Evolution being a ripoff of Digivolution is just so silly imo; let's get back on topic.

One little nitpick I have is the amount of Event Pokémon this generation has. Now, three event 'mon hasn't been out the ordinary since Gen 2, but considering how few Gen 6 'mon there are compared to previous gens and considering there's only three 'normal' legendaries... it feels a little too much.

I mean, let's just go over which suffixes have been used for Digivolution. Mega, Super, Ultimate, Hybrid, Beast, Armour, Burst, Champion, Ultimate... it's kind of hard to come up with a description of your super form without using one of those words.
Trying to seriously argue for Mega Evolution being a ripoff of Digivolution is just so silly imo; let's get back on topic.
You just named such a phraze. Super Form (according to you, they only used super).

Anyways, back to a topic relevent to this thread, Pikachu. I know its been stated before, but Pokemon would have been better if Ash just got a Kanto starter and quickly caught the other two, and kept all three with him throughout the entire anime. Actually, the anime would have been better without Ash, but instead with Red, but that is another problem.

Pikachu is just in every anime episode (literally), and the focal point of quite a few. That, coupled with the childishness of the anime, has made some of the people I know think that all Pokemon cannons is just as childish and pikachu-centered as the anime is.

Anyways, back to a topic relevent to this thread, Pikachu. I know its been stated before, but Pokemon would have been better if Ash just got a Kanto starter and quickly caught the other two, and kept all three with him throughout the entire anime. Actually, the anime would have been better without Ash, but instead with Red, but that is another problem.

Pikachu is just in every anime episode (literally), and the focal point of quite a few. That, coupled with the childishness of the anime, has made some of the people I know think that all Pokemon cannons is just as childish and pikachu-centered as the anime is.
Conversely, I feel they should have went with a new Protaganist for each new region starting with Hoenn. Johto I'm fine with having Ash as Johto is essentially an expansion of Kanto, and GS were conceived as a sequel to RB rather than their own completely individual generation. But every generation after Johto has been their own individual thing, and thus we should have had a new Protaganist for each - all other anime of this sort like Yu-gi-oh and Digimon do it, why can't Pokémon? The one problem I can really see is Pikachu because, yeah, series mascot and all, but I'm sure they could find some ridiculous way to shoehorn it in. No more ridiculous than it reverting to Level 5 each series.

Conversely, I feel they should have went with a new Protaganist for each new region starting with Hoenn. Johto I'm fine with having Ash as Johto is essentially an expansion of Kanto, and GS were conceived as a sequel to RB rather than their own completely individual generation. But every generation after Johto has been their own individual thing, and thus we should have had a new Protaganist for each - all other anime of this sort like Yu-gi-oh and Digimon do it, why can't Pokémon? The one problem I can really see is Pikachu because, yeah, series mascot and all, but I'm sure they could find some ridiculous way to shoehorn it in. No more ridiculous than it reverting to Level 5 each series.
Agreed. We're all sick of seeing Ash's face.

Gen 6 wise, I resent that we can't RNG anymore. If good old Gen 5 rules applied, it would take me 2 hours, not 2 blasted months to get a 6 iv Yveltal.

Gen 6 wise, I resent that we can't RNG anymore. If good old Gen 5 rules applied, it would take me 2 hours, not 2 blasted months to get a 6 iv Yveltal.
Isn't it just that a RNG method hasn't been found yet...? IIRC it took quite a bit of time to find RNG methods for each gen.
Besides, you're only missing out on like... three Pokémon this way. Plus I'm sure you could settle with an imperfect defence or attack IV; as long as Yveltal gets Speed and Special Attack then surely that's fine.

Isn't it just that a RNG method hasn't been found yet...? IIRC it took quite a bit of time to find RNG methods for each gen.
Besides, you're only missing out on like... three Pokémon this way. Plus I'm sure you could settle with an imperfect defence or attack IV; as long as Yveltal gets Speed and Special Attack then surely that's fine.
Remember they're also probably going for maximum defence and minimal attack ivs while trying to get the right HP type.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands

We were never supposed to rig the RNG in our favour anyway... I really resent these people who think of it as an ouright given that players were supposed to abuse the games in such a way.

This has probably already been said over the past 4 pages, but mega stones only being able to be found during 1h, and if you rejig your clock it resets for at least another 24 hours @_@

Also: I hate the Siesmic Toss / Body slam Animations, they are awful.

Only 1 person has managed to decrypt a 3DS. And even they can't RNG yet. 6th gen RNG has been compared to hacking into a high security bank account. There is a reason why Agonist used 6th Gen RNG as an April Fools joke.

Actually, you're missing out on a crapload of mons that way. All Kalos born mons need to be bred/SV hatched (forcing you to deal with Reddit) to be shiny now. It took me 2 weeks to get a 31/0/30/31/31/31 Shiny Litleo. That's not right.

Plus, god forbid if I want a special ball Mon with egg moves... Only gen 6 lets you pass down balls.

On Yveltal: the short answer is no.

I'm not missing out on Sucker Punch KOs because my bird doesn't have 31 ivs in Attack. And you do know that just 1 point in HP/Def/SP Def can lose a game for you? I wouldn't even consider playing anything without max HP.

So, yes- 6 ivs is necessary.

Last edited:
That is actually what I hated about previous gens: the fact you almost had to use external means to get quality Pokemon, or even close to it. This gen was the easiest to get perfect or mostly perfect Pokemon without whatever you needed externally to do.

• In short, our rivals/best friends. I hate you all, please go away.
  • That "haunted" house was just a not so clever marketing ploy ;-; I wanted to see Ghosties.
  • WHY NO TEAM ROCKET? Team Flare is so annoying "Team F-L-A-R-E!" They were fabulous, yes, but I would rather have Jessie, James, Meowth, and Woooobbuffet!
  • Wonder Trade being complete and utter booty unless you get on really early or really late.
  • How our mom was famous but we still have no dad ;-;
  • Diantha.
Sorry for having so many, but I'm a picky person :3

Only 1 person has managed to decrypt a 3DS. And even they can't RNG yet. 6th gen RUG has been compared to hacking into a high security bank account. There is a reason why Agonist used 6th Gen RNG as an April Fools joke.

Actually, you're missing out on a crapload of mons that way. All Kalos born mons need to be bred/ST hatched (forcing you to deal with Reddit) to be shiny now. It took me 2 weeks to get a 31/0/30/31/31/31 Shiny Litleo. That's not right.

Plus, god forbid if I want a special ball Mon with egg moves... Only gen 6 let's you pass down balls.

On Yveltal: the short answer is no.

I'm not missing out on Sucker Punch KOs because my bird doesn't have 31 ivs in Attack. And you do know that just 1 point in HP/Def/SP Def can lose a game for you? I wouldn't even consider playing anything without max HP.

So, yes- 6 ivs is necessary.
This is really confusing me because aren't you the guy that kept going on about how we should put work into getting perfect IVs and only those that know about the system should be allowed access to them? I know this is the nitpick thread, but... this is starting to sound kind of entitled here.

Reactions: JES
This is really confusing me because aren't you the guy that kept going on about how we should put work into getting perfect IVs and only those that know about the system should be allowed access to them? I know this is the nitpick thread, but... this is starting to sound kind of entitled here.
Nitpick point: I'm a girl. ;)

For me, RNG is putting the effort in. It personally took me months to figure how how to get it to work properly. Plus, for each new pokemon you want to RNG, you still need to find a new seed/calculate the shifting frame.... and so on.

What I don't like is spending 2 months soft resetting and still not getting what I want.

There's effort and... torture.

Moving away from RNG, I agree with DarkMilotic. I would like to have an ingame Dad again! I quite liked Norman.

I hate the absolute lack of end game content, all I can do now is breed -_-

Also, no move tutors
Breed, soft-reset, swear at Double Team/Lax Incense pokemon at the Battle Maison and... eh.. stroke all your pokemon with Pokemon Amie?

(I need the good Battle Frontier back...)

Move Tutors just don't exist until sequels/the third game. Fact of life.

I still want that Manaphy of yours Valzy... ;)

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I hate the absolute lack of end game content, all I can do now is breed -_-
Well, I'm afraid this is all intentional. You grow bored of XY after a while, but still really enjoy playing Pokémon. So, when a new game comes around, you'll buy it as soon as you can. GameFreak can't make a postgame that is fun forever. That would mean players would be more picky/hesitant about buying the new games. At least in the middle of generations, that is: BW2 had tons of stuff to do after the story was cleared, enough content to satisfy players for years if need be. But if BW1 had had the same postgame content, many people would skip BW2 entirely and simply wait for a new generation to roll around.

With just the right amount of postgame content, players will play and love the game, and be social about them (generating way more "buzz" than any marketing department ever could) until the next games are announced. At which point they will realize how stale the previous games have become, and begin to crave/buzz about the next games.

It's thus to be expected that the last games of every generation will have more postgame content than the ones predecessing - and succeeding - them. This keeps fans occupied for long enough to give some slack to the developers working on the next generation games. With "game transitions" such as XY - ORAS or BW - BW2, it's important that the next game is ready for announcement a few months after the pioneer games are released. After all, GameFreak can't have the games fall into obscurity in social circles - such as schoolyards, or the Internet - because fans grow bored of the old games and there are no new ones in sight. That would really hurt the social marketing the Pokémon franchise enjoys at the moment. With more/better postgame content, it will be longer before a game becomes obscure, but have too much of it, and the next games need a major selling point to outdo its predecessors. However, transitions such as Platinum - BW or BW2 - XY are a different matter entirely. A generation shift would be a huge selling point, so for the last games of the generation, GameFreak is free to pour in as much postgame content as they desire.

And such we get the immensely fun Battle Frontier from Emerald being absent in D/P. Platinum and HGSS had a frontier of their own, whereas BW had only a crappy Subway. BW2 gave us malls, movies, and several postgame quests and cities, in XY we only had one city containing next to nothing beside the Battle Maison (as well as the Looker quest, which admittedly was really nice, but a one-time thing). So all in all, I'm really looking forward to the inevitable "Z" game(s). Postgame stuff with Gen. VI Pokémon and XY graphics? Yes, please!

Well, I'm afraid this is all intentional. You grow bored of XY after a while, but still really enjoy playing Pokémon. So, when a new game comes around, you'll buy it as soon as you can. GameFreak can't make a postgame that is fun forever. That would mean players would be more picky/hesitant about buying the new games. At least in the middle of generations, that is: BW2 had tons of stuff to do after the story was cleared, enough content to satisfy players for years if need be. But if BW1 had had the same postgame content, many people would skip BW2 entirely and simply wait for a new generation to roll around.

With just the right amount of postgame content, players will play and love the game, and be social about them (generating way more "buzz" than any marketing department ever could) until the next games are announced. At which point they will realize how stale the previous games have become, and begin to crave/buzz about the next games.

It's thus to be expected that the last games of every generation will have more postgame content than the ones predecessing - and succeeding - them. This keeps fans occupied for long enough to give some slack to the developers working on the next generation games. With "game transitions" such as XY - ORAS or BW - BW2, it's important that the next game is ready for announcement a few months after the pioneer games are released. After all, GameFreak can't have the games fall into obscurity in social circles - such as schoolyards, or the Internet - because fans grow bored of the old games and there are no new ones in sight. That would really hurt the social marketing the Pokémon franchise enjoys at the moment. With more/better postgame content, it will be longer before a game becomes obscure, but have too much of it, and the next games need a major selling point to outdo its predecessors. However, transitions such as Platinum - BW or BW2 - XY are a different matter entirely. A generation shift would be a huge selling point, so for the last games of the generation, GameFreak is free to pour in as much postgame content as they desire.

And such we get the immensely fun Battle Frontier from Emerald being absent in D/P. Platinum and HGSS had a frontier of their own, whereas BW had only a crappy Subway. BW2 gave us malls, movies, and several postgame quests and cities, in XY we only had one city containing next to nothing beside the Battle Maison (as well as the Looker quest, which admittedly was really nice, but a one-time thing). So all in all, I'm really looking forward to the inevitable "Z" game(s). Postgame stuff with Gen. VI Pokémon and XY graphics? Yes, please!
Reducing this to two sentences:

-Nintendo only wants to make money.
-We know but don't care and buy all the games anyway.

Conclusion: We are addicts.

Reducing this to two sentences:

-Nintendo only wants to make money.
-We know but don't care and buy all the games anyway.

Conclusion: We are doges.
image.jpg

many pkmn, much wow. Very pokeballs.

Back on topic, what annoys me is how Lysandre seemed really cool in the beginning and stuff but then they're like "yah. he's totes evil." and it made no sense. Like, he wanted to make things pretty.

This has been discussed a bit before, but I was annoyed at how all of your rivals/friends were immensely shallow characters. Tierno only danced, Shauna only shared sweet moments with you, etc. Why couldn't we combine the four friends into one or two? Tierno+Shauna, the sweet friend who wanted to teach you to waltz under the fireworks at Parfum Palace and take you on dates. Then Trevor+Serena/Calum could be the aggressive friend who wants to beat you in filling the Pokedex, in battles, etc. Forget this "Hi <player name>, old buddy, old pal. Would you like to battle? Oh, you haven't healed your Pokemon yet? Go ahead and do that. I'll just shelf my tiny desire to defeat you while you prepare yourself to DESTROY ME EVERY SINGLE TIME." You all remember how Blue would just come out of nowhere and whoop you because you weren't ready? I hated Blue because of that, but it made me love the game. Gave me something to care about.

Everyone seems to be annoyed by Diantha, and I agree with that, but because of a reason that applies to more characters. We now have 6? champions and 6? sets of Elite Four members, but most of them get little stage time during the games. X and Y were horrible about this. Diantha seemed too busy to care about Team Flare's desire to <insert bad guy goal here> and didn't help with anything. I am fairly certain the Elite Four in Kalos did nothing except wait in their elaborate dungeons until you show up to speed through them with a behemoth Exp. Share leveled team.

Those PSS messages that others have mentioned are so bad, it makes me laugh. It's funniest when you get consecutive messages. At least you can switch to a different screen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 5)