Worst Pokemon Sprites?

In defence of green (which someone linked the whole sprite sheet of earlier), I still think it had some of the best Eeveelution sprites out there, especially Jolteons.
Jolteon is definitely one of the more adorable sprites.
The others though ... not so much.

I know that Vaporeon can melt into water, but why does it have to look like melting ice cream all the time?

Not too bad, but the first impression I always get is a lot of berries stacked stuck together in the vague shape of a Flareon's body.

Is anybody else terrified by this guy's angry face and little beard or is that just me?

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
To everyone who was talking about how amazing Slowpoke's sprite from Silver is (which I agree is extremely cute): it is actually very incorrect. Observe:
Notice anything missing?

Slowpoke actually has a striped underbelly. Disappointing, I know :p

While this is a pretty good backsprite by Gen 1 standards, what the hell is that black thing reaching up his tails?

To everyone who was talking about how amazing Slowpoke's sprite from Silver is (which I agree is extremely cute): it is actually very incorrect. Observe:
Notice anything missing?

While this is a pretty good backsprite by Gen 1 standards, what the hell is that black thing reaching up his tails?
I'd assume it's a shadow.

Notice anything missing?

The striped belly has been retconned out of existence, even in Japan, just like Jynx's facial color...

Notice anything missing?

Wait, isn't that a Slowbro in the picture? Slowpoke certainly doesn't have a striped underbelly in the latest Pokedex :0

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
The striped belly has been retconned out of existence, even in Japan, just like Jynx's facial color...
That may be so, but in Generation 2 the striped underbelly was still a thing.

Wait, isn't that a Slowbro in the picture? Slowpoke certainly doesn't have a striped underbelly in the latest Pokedex :0
No, it's Slowpoke. He had a striped underbelly too at one point! :p

Notice anything missing?

The strange part is that the Japanese version of Pokemon Silver did keep the striped belly. See:

Guess it was another thing that got edited out, like Kakuna's arms:

Mamoswine's in-battle backsprite in BW is so awkward. You get to see your pokemon, but only the top 20% of it.

Yeah, backsprites were just awkward most of the time, mainly cause a good number of which barely let you see them. Though some were cool. I remember Charizard's in Gen IV:

It looked so cool when it used Flamethrower since it actually looked like it came out of his mouth.

Though speaking of Flamethrower in Gen IV and sprites:
This is Skuntank's Platinum sprite.

I remember seeing one sent out against me by one of the upper level Galactic members and it used Flamethrower.
It, well...it urinates fire at you.
There's a video showing it on YouTube. I would put a link but the forum is having difficulty with it. Just look up "Pokemon Prestigious Platinum Jupiter" and go to the four minute mark.
I think that's a pretty bad sprite in this case.

Yeah, backsprites were just awkward most of the time, mainly cause a good number of which barely let you see them. Though some were cool. I remember Charizard's in Gen IV:

It looked so cool when it used Flamethrower since it actually looked like it came out of his mouth.
lol I thought I was the only one that noticed these things, Typhlosion could do that too

I watched a video from youtube about a commentary on the worst rgby sprites and I can't resist putting them here (I've only mentioned some of it).

Worst sprites highlights (I forgot the link of the video, but it was This guy who made the commentary)
My analysis will be a combination of what I believe in and the commentary's description on the video.
And who can forget Golbat?

What was up with those eyes? If you don't notice, they are wider than its body, and also placed at slightly different levels. And the sideways tongue? Or the body randomly leaning to its right? Or even the feet? This is one messed-up sprite.
I know right, isn't it just so sick and horrendous? (the latter came from the video I watched; I must say that it's such a powerful word that sadly deserves to be used for this sprite).

Well, there's Hitmonchan's sprite that looks like a Togekiss watching a constipated Doduo try to poop:
We have a winner. :3 I also saw this on the commentary, just too funny.

I know mew didn't appear in the game aside from the event and the then only discovered mew glitch. :/
; Mew : Green Version

I know RBGY's backsprites are based on the sprites of Green (well mostly I must say), but looking at this sprite it seems as though it has a serious condition of "Hydrocephalus."
Although the head is the major feature of this poorly drawn sprite, I can't help but point out how its "brain" seems to bulge out, and if I may say, might even burst off of it. ;_;

What's wrong with Wigglytuff's eyes?
Again from the video.

Just when you thought that a lot of pokemon were already retarded...
; Wigglytuff : Green Version

Out comes wigglytuff from Green, it doesn't even seem "tuff" at face value.
The commentary said that it must have contracted some sort of "...down-syndrome, no offense to people who do have down-syndrome."
Honestly, the eyes do spell a lot on how the commentator was able to tell how messed up Wigglytuff was back in the Green Version; the perspective on perspective was poor at that time.

This one knocked my socks off while watching the video. I encourage you to flip this upside down and zoom in at the shell (upper left when flipped)
; Parasect : Blue Version

On the other hand, before moving on to the surprise, it seems that Parasect is hiding something (or might be a reference to the making of "Nasty Plot"? lol).

So yeah, for the surprise,
Just in case you guys are too lazy to flip it yourself, here is the image.

It just spells PISS, nintendo as the commentator implied, was playing with subliminal messages. lol

That's it for now, there are plenty more though, mostly from pokemon rbg. :/

Last edited:
Feraligatr had dat ass in RSE

So that's why Slowpoke looks like he's seen some shit!

I understand Regirock is bulky, but that sprite is just a little too fat. Also, it looks like Regirock is listening to some techno or something...

And speaking of Regirock, some shinies were changed in XY. Some were for the better, like Pikachu:

Regirock, on the other hand, looks like literal shit:

And then there's Emerald Pidgeot:

Slowing down the sprite reveals Pidgeot is spinning mid air. Go home Pidgeot, you're drunk.

I would also like to point out that Pidgeot did not get a good sprite until FR/LG

This one isn't the worst, but the wings are a bit oversized.

Pidgeot only got worse in Blue and US Red. The pose. Enough said.

Pidgeot looks a bit plump, and its hair is too wide and too short. Cool animation though.

This time, Pidgeot is undersized, and has an awkward posture.

"But wait Togie! Aren't you missing another Pidgeot sprite?"

Yes. I have saved the worst for last:

Everything is wrong with this. The comb, the wings, the shape, the posture, and OH GOD, the face.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Ah... Pidgeot.
I remember back when Pidgeot was the most iconic, popular, badass non-legendary Flying Pokémon out there. Yes, there was Charizard, but if you chose any of the other starters, you missed out on it. Gyarados required babying as a Magikarp, and Aerodactyl required a lot of backtracking, but Pidgeot was available to everybody and it served exceptionally well as a Flyer (seriously, were there ever anybody who had a Pidgeot in RBY without teaching it Fly?), as well as pulling its weight on the team in many battles. Too bad that while Pidgeot had one of the coolest Pokémon cards out there, and it kicked ass in the Anime, the games have been screwing Pidgeot over ever since. Horrible sprites/models, horrible stats, horrible movepool, horrible Abilities... the list goes on and on and on and on.

I still think Pidgeot is awesome, but I'm starting to run out of reasons why.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
There is some hilarious art on the internet making fun of these sprites. These are my two personal favorites:

Feraligatr had dat ass in RSE

And who can forget Golbat?

What was up with those eyes? If you don't notice, they are wider than its body, and also placed at slightly different levels. And the sideways tongue? Or the body randomly leaning to its right? Or even the feet? This is one messed-up sprite.

I think the most hilarious part is that these are barely changed from the actual sprites.

Was never fond of the RSE sprite of Salamence. It just looks awkward and puffy. Game Freak definitely did the dragon justice in the later generations.

We have a fresh example of horrible sprite:

Gen
VI
Archeops
Technically*, that's a model, not a sprite.
But I agree:

Gen V: Awesome

Gen VI: Why are you standing?

*Dang, I wish that Archeops had Technician as its ability so that would be a pun! But then it would wreck everything.

Too bad that while Pidgeot had one of the coolest Pokémon cards out there, and it kicked ass in the Anime, the games have been screwing Pidgeot over ever since. Horrible sprites/models, horrible stats, horrible movepool, horrible Abilities... the list goes on and on and on and on.
They did buff Pidgeot in Gen VI slightly (91 Speed to 101 Speed).

Technically*, that's a model, not a sprite.
But I agree:

Gen V: Awesome

Gen VI: Why are you standing?

*Dang, I wish that Archeops had Technician as its ability so that would be a pun! But then it would wreck everything.

They did buff Pidgeot in Gen VI slightly (91 Speed to 101 Speed).
Woo, now it can outspeed Fearow... niche
Also am I the only one who likes Archeops' model? I burst out laughing when I first saw it and have loved and found it funny ever since.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)