(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

The one thing about X & Y that really gets me is the lack of a powered up E4 rematch post game. Every game's had this since Platinum, with only Diamond and Pearl missing out on it since FR/LG, so why suddenly did they just not do it this time? I mean, we have Le Wow for grinding so it's not really THAT big a deal, but it's really disappointing that I'll never see much of the the E4 since there's literally no reason to fight them again after you've beaten them once.
Why would you make a rematch for the E4 when you have a restaurant where you can not only grind up but also farm money?

(Before you say "coz thats kool" or something, this is what GF though when developing the game. Also, keep in mind that getting so much new stuff done in one year is a great achievement for itself. Remember they didn't use BW as their base just like in the fifth generation, but instead built the game from scratch. WIth 3D models for every Pokemon, Mega-evo, shiny versions, Spindas, and all of the cities.)

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
^Concerning Spinda*, I don't think the effort to create all the patterns was that much bigger than the others. It's just a little randomizer script put into the code for the character model. The same goes for shiny values, changing the relevant colours is a matter of a couple lines of code. Rematch teams for the Elite Four would be a relatively trivial matter; there are more than a thousand scripted trainers in the game, and making five more wouldn't take more than a lunch break at most.

Also, I think I have a better reason that "coz thats kool": Doing it the current way means that you have more incentive to go to restaurants and battle the waiters there, than actually revisiting the so-called most powerful trainers in the region. The Elite Four are meant to be tough, powerful, epic and all that, but their impact is somewhat diminished by being easier to beat than the crew of a small restaurant.

Then again, I have long suspected that the Elite Four are kind of vain, and that nobody in the region really care much about them. Most of them never lift a finger to stop the regional evil team, they have their giant, flashy, empty castle in the middle of absolutely nowhere, with nobody visiting. Even their Pokémon Centre is almost deserted. Also, nobody ever bother to show up to see the child-prodigy, movie-star, mall-owner, world-saving, fashionist, contest-winner, Pokédex-filler, banisher of evil, speaker to everybody, gym-beating main character when (s)he's up to battle the most powerful trainers in the land. Even in the regions with media offices, they don't even send a TV team to cover the battles. You're supposed to be a great celebrity at this point, but when you fight the Elite Four there isn't even a spectator in sight. The PWT, however, seems to draw great crowds with an announcer, confetti, spotlights and the like.

Then, in Emerald and DPPt, you get to visit an entirely new place after beating the Elite Four. Heck, beating the Elite Four seems to be a prerequisite to get to visit some of those places. That implies that all the trainers present have beaten the Elite Four before you, and nobody even as much as mention it. Beating the Elite Four must be kind of like getting a drivers' license: You think it's awesome if you make it, you feel kind of special when you've passed the test, it opens lots of new possibilities, then you realize that millions of people have gone through it before without making a fuzz about it. There are probably tens of thousands of names engraved next to yours in the Hall of Fame.

*The plural of "Pokémon" is still "Pokémon", and that goes for species names as well. One Pikachu, the Pikachu, many Pikachu, all the Pikachu. Kind of like sheep. A minor annoyance of mine is that people still haven't learnt that after six generations of Pokémon.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
*The plural of "Pokémon" is still "Pokémon", and that goes for species names as well. One Pikachu, the Pikachu, many Pikachu, all the Pikachu. Kind of like sheep. A minor annoyance of mine is that people still haven't learnt that after six generations of Pokémon.
It's technically not in the games, but this. It really bothers me too when people say Pokémons. However, I said the name in plural with s at the end long enough that it doesn't bother me when there's an s at the end, even after I found out there wasn't supposed to be one.

Something in the games that I dislike is Miltank's animation. Stop waving your udder in my face! Just stop!

It's technically not in the games, but this. It really bothers me too when people say Pokémons. However, I said the name in plural with s at the end long enough that it doesn't bother me when there's an s at the end, even after I found out there wasn't supposed to be one.

Something in the games that I dislike is Miltank's animation. Stop waving your udder in my face! Just stop!
oh we talking minor annoyances with models now?

How shit does this look?

Battle Chateau is much better than restaurants for farming. XP and money alike.
Battle Chateau requires too much time to get to be a Great Duke, even if you're like me and used it throughout your playthrough many times (I visited it every time I had to face something important and I barely got to be a Duke). le Wow is available the moment you leave your house after beating the E4, which is when you're breeding and training competitively anyways.

Battle Chateau requires too much time to get to be a Great Duke, even if you're like me and used it throughout your playthrough many times (I visited it every time I had to face something important and I barely got to be a Duke). le Wow is available the moment you leave your house after beating the E4, which is when you're breeding and training competitively anyways.
It took a few days to get to be grand duke, versus the weeks, if not months, of time subsequently spent levelling mons to level 100. It was time well spent, frankly. It's at least twice as fast as ke wow, if not even more than that.

It took a few days to get to be grand duke, versus the weeks, if not months, of time subsequently spent levelling mons to level 100. It was time well spent, frankly. It's at least twice as fast as ke wow, if not even more than that.
I've done both methods and once stuck to the idea that the Chateau was superior.
Le Wow is just so much better, however. This is because it's always set battles you can do whenever you want. Even when you're a grand duke in the Chateau, it's really luck of the draw if you get someone who can give you good experience or not, and you can STILL find trainers with level 15 Fletchlings. The only ones worth it are the champion, E4, gym leaders and furisode girls, and even then only the furisode girls give out enough to justify your choice. And then when you've faced all the trainers, you've run out and have to either play a big waiting game until more arrive - which is STILL luck of the draw, you might end up with a guy using a level 35 Shelgon - or pay for more to arrive.
Le Wow, on the other hand, is constant, massive experience boosted by being a Triple Battle. Exp and Prize Money O-powers never run out during it so you never have to watch your time, you know exactly what you're getting into, and it's always Pokémon in the Level 60s.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
ANNOYANCE #1: X decided to commit sudoku last night, and I lost dozens of flawless breeding pairs, my legendaries from HGSS / BW / BW2, and my precious flawless Regenerator Ho-Oh I got through trading - basically every Pokemon I have and that I spent 300+ hours on. ;_;

As for other minor annoyances... uhhh... I don't really have any - I really loved XY lol :P

P
ANNOYANCE #1: X decided to commit sudoku last night, and I lost dozens of flawless breeding pairs, my legendaries from HGSS / BW / BW2, and my precious flawless Regenerator Ho-Oh I got through trading - basically every Pokemon I have and that I spent 300+ hours on. ;_;

As for other minor annoyances... uhhh... I don't really have any - I really loved XY lol :P
Next time use Pokebank

Your Pokemon X used a number puzzle (and a fun one, at that)? I think the word you were looking for is seppuku.

I have mixed feelings on how they do roadblocks now (i.e. ways to stop you from moving forward in the game until you accomplish X goal).

Some range from irritating (road work, heavy weather, won't let you leave without a gym badge), to insulting (power's out and you can't go through, except you can see that the lights are on and everyone else can go through), to bizarre (B2W2's men dancing for no reason, disappearing for no reason).

Forgive my nostalgia goggles, but I miss Kanto's small amount of sequence breaking. Besides Brock, Misty, and Koga, the rest of the gyms can be done in any order (except Giovanni? Maybe? In theory just the Rocket storyline has to be completed, but I've never tried doing him early). It may not have been a challenge, but kicking Lt. Surge's butt with a level 60 Blastoise was cathartic (screw type match-ups!).

...but the new system does have merit. Or at least potential. For one it can restrict in-game set lists so gyms become harder because the good 'mons aren't available yet, forcing out-of-the-box strategy (not that this has been fully implemented though). Another is it cuts down on the use of HM's as roadblocks, meaning less need for HM slaves (and it got really ridiculous in Sinnoh the amount of HM roadblocks. I needed 3 HM slaves for some parts).

Still, I feel there is some magical happy medium between the two that can re-capture some of the freedom of Kanto but keep the HM need to a minimum too (or raise the gym leader difficulty a tad). So that's my little irritating thing of XY.

*edit* Giovanni requires 7 badges, so he's also order locked. But 4/8 ain't so bad, and Koga only has to be beaten before Blaine and Giovanni. He can be before or after Sabrina, Erika, and Lt. Surge.

Last edited:
It seems that random overworld weather hasn't been established yet, at least outside of rain. Seriously, when was the last time you've seen harsh sunlight?

Also, Calem and Serena seriously need to carry some heavy duty contact cleanser. Either that or have some major laser eye surgery.

<=totally the same person=>

The trashy one on the right doesn't tip the plebs.

I have mixed feelings on how they do roadblocks now (i.e. ways to stop you from moving forward in the game until you accomplish X goal).

Some range from irritating (road work, heavy weather, won't let you leave without a gym badge), to insulting (power's out and you can't go through, except you can see that the lights are on and everyone else can go through), to bizarre (B2W2's men dancing for no reason, disappearing for no reason).

Forgive my nostalgia goggles, but I miss Kanto's small amount of sequence breaking. Besides Brock, Misty, and Koga, the rest of the gyms can be done in any order (except Giovanni? Maybe? In theory just the Rocket storyline has to be completed, but I've never tried doing him early). It may not have been a challenge, but kicking Lt. Surge's butt with a level 60 Blastoise was cathartic (screw type match-ups!).

...but the new system does have merit. Or at least potential. For one it can restrict in-game set lists so gyms become harder because the good 'mons aren't available yet, forcing out-of-the-box strategy (not that this has been fully implemented though). Another is it cuts down on the use of HM's as roadblocks, meaning less need for HM slaves (and it got really ridiculous in Sinnoh the amount of HM roadblocks. I needed 3 HM slaves for some parts).

Still, I feel there is some magical happy medium between the two that can re-capture some of the freedom of Kanto but keep the HM need to a minimum too (or raise the gym leader difficulty a tad). So that's my little irritating thing of XY.
Isn't this pretty much a little annoying thing of Pokémon in general since Gen 3? I get your point entirely; but I'm pretty sure this thread is addressing problems with XY specifically.

Isn't this pretty much a little annoying thing of Pokémon in general since Gen 3? I get your point entirely; but I'm pretty sure this thread is addressing problems with XY specifically.
My feelings are it's been slipping little by little since about Gen 3. I applied it to XY because it's the most egregious one, in my opinion.

I guess Gen 5 could have been more appropriate, since that's when the benefits started showing (the lack of HM slaves).

...and I used egregious in a sentence. Time to go humble myself...

I really hate how you are forced to carry HM slaves throughout the game. The Normal type moves can be learned by pretty much anything, and while Cut and Strength are terrible to have on anything, it's mainly Surf and Fly that bug me the most. I think I read someone say that items should be a replacement for their overworld uses and I totally agree. Although Surf is definitely needed to complete the story, most of us count Fly as necessary as well. This forces us to carry Pokémon that some of us would rather not waste our team slots on. Even in the post game, I still grab my Azumaril, Aggron, and Talonflame just to make sure I can traverse everything and have a way to Fly back as well. HM moves are wasted on these otherwise great Pokémon. I remember that when I played Gold and games of each generation of games after, I try to avoid catching any bird Pokémon. Mainly because they suck in general and I'm pretty sure I won't stop by the Day Care center to breed for good Egg Moves and redeeming Abilities/IVs while progressing.

GSC - Crobat
RSE - Salamence
DPP - Drifblim
BW - Volcarona
XY - Noivern

Fly essentially cripples the move sets of all the above Pokémon. Moves like Aerial Ace and Acrobatics make better alternatives for Flying attacks.

I have to deal with the same thing for Water types. Surf and Waterfall are good moves, it's just that having two moves of the same type is generally a bad idea, especially if one is Physical and the other is Special. So that forces you to have two Water types if you want to handle things smoothly. Yes, more than Water types can learn Surf, but I personally think that it is still a waste of a move slot. Just another reason to carry an HM slave that will never see the what life is like outside of the Pokeball you caught it in. Anyone else keep starter route Normal type Pokémon on their main team just to teach them four field moves, one of which is non-STAB Surf?

On an note unrelated to the above stuff, there is the subject Egg Moves. They are quite nice to have, it's just that I dislike how I have to rely on the internet to check for these moves every single time I breed. If only there was a way to discover what Pokémon can learn certain Egg Moves without throwing random things together. If there was an in-game list like for the XY berry mutations, that would be extremely helpful. Possible ways to record these moves; talking to NPCs and see what they tell you, like completing the Pokedex in Cafes, or by battling trainers whose Pokémon have these Egg Moves already.

Last edited:
I have to deal with the same thing for Water types. Surf and Waterfall are good moves, it's just that having two moves of the same type is generally a bad idea, especially if one is Physical and the other is Special. So that forces you to have two Water types if you want to handle things smoothly. Yes, more than Water types can learn Surf, but I personally think that it is still a waste of a move slot. Just another reason to carry an HM slave that will never see the what life is like outside of the Pokeball you caught it in. Anyone else keep starter route Normal type Pokémon on their main team just to teach them four field moves, one of which is non-STAB Surf?
In one of my old Emerald runs I used a Linoone with Strength, Surf and Thunderbolt. He was pretty rad.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I really hate how you are forced to carry HM slaves throughout the game. The Normal type moves can be learned by pretty much anything, and while Cut and Strength are terrible to have on anything, it's mainly Surf and Fly that bug me the most. I think I read someone say that items should be a replacement for their overworld uses and I totally agree. Although Surf is definitely needed to complete the story, most of us count Fly as necessary as well. This forces us to carry Pokémon that some of us would rather not waste our team slots on. Even in the post game, I still grab my Azumaril, Aggron, and Talonflame just to make sure I can traverse everything and have a way to Fly back as well. HM moves are wasted on these otherwise great Pokémon. I remember that when I played Gold and games of each generation of games after, I try to avoid catching any bird Pokémon. Mainly because they suck in general and I'm pretty sure I won't stop by the Day Care center to breed for good Egg Moves and redeeming Abilities/IVs while progressing.

GSC - Crobat
RSE - Salamence
DPP - Drifblim
BW - Volcarona
XY - Noivern

Fly essentially cripples the move sets of all the above Pokémon. Moves like Aerial Ace and Acrobatics make better alternatives for Flying attacks.

Surf is like one of the best moves in the franchise, and Fly is legit in-game since the AI is stupid.

In one of my old Emerald runs I used a Linoone with Strength, Surf and Thunderbolt. He was pretty rad.
Just turned on my Emerald cartridge. The Linoone I use for my main team has Rock Smash, Water Pulse, Dig, and Thunderwave. Just realized I wasn't a very smart kid. I really love Linoone and I still use him in XY. At least now I teach him some better attacks like Seed Bomb, Shadow Claw, Play Rough, and Dig. Seriously, this thing can't hit Steel types outside of Dig. Makes me cry. At least his pre-evolution is super adorable in Amie.
Surf is like one of the best moves in the franchise, and Fly is legit in-game since the AI is stupid.
I'll start to like using Fly in battle once Gliscor is able to learn it. Along with Substitute, Toxic, and Protect, he'll be my favorite staller.

Now that I think about it, has anyone raised their Pokémon to level 100 in XY and felt proud about it? Open level battling has been long gone since RSE, I think, and the most threatening trainer to face is your Rival post-game. Aside from learning certain moves or evolving certain Pokémon past level 50, there is almost no reason any reason to keep training.

Last edited:
Show me a Pokémon game that you can't beat with your starter alone (and even then it's still easy mode).

I still don't get people (even 8yo) who complain OMG, that gym battle was so tough.

Except for dat Miltank in Gen II - I had to try that fight more than one time.

A 300 hundred hours game Sudoku? Hah, you had it easy.

I nearly lost 812 hours because of data corruption. That's a real stupid number puzzle.
P

Next time use Pokebank
And pay Nintendo even more money? (And I don't want to know about how little the fee is. It's the damned principle of it)

Plus, having to go online everytime you need a mon is tantamount to hitting yourself in the face . Several times.

It still pisses me off that I need to wait 2 turns to kill something. 2 whole turns...

Show me a Pokémon game that you can't beat with your starter alone (and even then it's still easy mode).

I still don't get people (even 8yo) who complain OMG, that gym battle was so tough.

Except for dat Miltank in Gen II - I had to try that fight more than one time.
The AI has the intellect of a rock.
How do you suggest it make the games harder?

And why does everyone go on about that cow? Just train a Machop if you suck that badly...

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It seems that random overworld weather hasn't been established yet, at least outside of rain. Seriously, when was the last time you've seen harsh sunlight?
I think Sinnoh was the worst offender here, honestly:
- It had a rainy swamp area with overworld rain.
- It had a large, frozen tundra with overworld hail.
- It had a desert with howling winds and overworld sandstorm.
- There were several foggy mountain passes with overworld fog.
- It also had a sunny beachfront, and a city powered entirely by solar panels, with overworld... nothing.

Kalos is almost as bad, it has all of the above apart from the fog, and I think it's getting somewhat annoying now. In the recent ORAS trailer, it's suggested that the Drought sun is a little more than ordinary nice weather (it looks like the sky is on fire, basically), but I really think there should have been a sunny area or two by now. Sun has been seen as a counterpart to Rain ever since Gen. III, but there has been over a dozen rainy routes so far, and zero sunny ones. Why not, once, make a desert with harsh sun instead of a sandstorm?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)