Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so i know that knock off is 1.5x power versus a pokemon with an item but doesnt get a 1.5x boost versus a mega so its only at 65 base power. My question is that is it only 1.5x up to 97.5 if it knocks off the item? Like is it still 65 base power versus a sticky hold mon?

I was thinking of a forming a core of Keldeo and Celebi wherein Celebi has sub/baton pass in order to set up and escape from bisharp. If Knock off is only 65 base power versus a pokemon behind a sub then keldeo can keep its sub intact after a baton pass from celebi even in the face of life orb bisharp (celebi's subs are 101 hp)

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 81-95 (25 - 29.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
(81, 82, 82, 83, 84, 86, 86, 87, 88, 90, 90, 91, 92, 94, 94, 95)

this would put a lot of pressure on the team with bisharp, but if its still 97.5 base power even though it wouldnt be able to knock off the item since its behind a sub then the sub breaks after a pass...its kind of embarassing i dont know this lol but i think this should work? I can't think of any ou pokemon that takes less than 100hp in damage from a lo bisharps knock off at 97.5 base power so i hope it works this way

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
ok so i know that knock off is 1.5x power versus a pokemon with an item but doesnt get a 1.5x boost versus a mega so its only at 65 base power. My question is that is it only 1.5x up to 97.5 if it knocks off the item? Like is it still 65 base power versus a sticky hold mon?

I was thinking of a forming a core of Keldeo and Celebi wherein Celebi has sub/baton pass in order to set up and escape from bisharp. If Knock off is only 65 base power versus a pokemon behind a sub then keldeo can keep its sub intact after a baton pass from celebi even in the face of life orb bisharp (celebi's subs are 101 hp)

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 81-95 (25 - 29.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
(81, 82, 82, 83, 84, 86, 86, 87, 88, 90, 90, 91, 92, 94, 94, 95)

this would put a lot of pressure on the team with bisharp, but if its still 97.5 base power even though it wouldnt be able to knock off the item since its behind a sub then the sub breaks after a pass...its kind of embarassing i dont know this lol but i think this should work? I can't think of any ou pokemon that takes less than 100hp in damage from a lo bisharps knock off at 97.5 base power so i hope it works this way
It is only 1.5x when knocking off an item. So it is 65 when behind a sub:

'If this move is used on a Pokémon that is holding an item that can be lost, it will deal 50% more damage.'
'Knock Off cannot remove an item from Pokémon with the Sticky Hold or Multitype Ability, or from Pokémon behind a substitute.'
- Bulpedia

'Knocks down opponent's held item to prevent its use. Increases power by 50% if so.'
- serebii

Hey ppl I have been having trouble replacing Aegislash in my team after its banned and I would like some help. I know no other poke can do anything really like Aegislash but I am looking for a physically bulky pivot that is able to switch into namely Talonflame and mega scizor although Talonflame is the more pressing need. Any suggestions?

Hey ppl I have been having trouble replacing Aegislash in my team after its banned and I would like some help. I know no other poke can do anything really like Aegislash but I am looking for a physically bulky pivot that is able to switch into namely Talonflame and mega scizor although Talonflame is the more pressing need. Any suggestions?
Heatran can do it if Scizor isn't carrying Superpower. It usually runs specially defensive but I guess you could run physically defensive if you really wanted since its def is the same as its sdef, but it doesn't really need it to tank moves from those two mons (again, provided Scizor isn't packing a fighting move). Mandibuzz is another good option, taking minimal from both and punishing set up with foul play.

Since Trick Room and weather can stack, how do abilities like Swift Swim impact "speed" in Trick Room? Does the Pokemon go "faster," or slower because it's actual speed is higher?

Also, is Sylveon still worth using over Florges if it doesn't have Hyper Voice (on Cartridge question)? Florges' slightly better speed obviously doesn't outweigh HV, but does Sylveon have any other significant advantages that make it a total outclass?

I have a team with a Scizor and Azumarill and I'm wondering some good fire types to go with them.
My Scizor has U-turn, Bullet Punch, Swords Dance and Roost and my Azumarill has Waterfall, Play rough, Aqua jet and Belly drum.

Since Trick Room and weather can stack, how do abilities like Swift Swim impact "speed" in Trick Room? Does the Pokemon go "faster," or slower because it's actual speed is higher?

Also, is Sylveon still worth using over Florges if it doesn't have Hyper Voice (on Cartridge question)? Florges' slightly better speed obviously doesn't outweigh HV, but does Sylveon have any other significant advantages that make it a total outclass?
Swift Swim doubles speed, so it would make you "slower" under trick room.

Sylveon passes better wishes because of its higher HP stat, and has more physical bulk (and very similar special bulk) for the same reason.

I have a team with a Scizor and Azumarill and I'm wondering some good fire types to go with them.
My Scizor has U-turn, Bullet Punch, Swords Dance and Roost and my Azumarill has Waterfall, Play rough, Aqua jet and Belly drum.
It's not necessarily the most popular choice, but I have a great love for Rotom-H with Overheat, WoW and Volt-Switch. It resists grass, electric and fire -- all useful for you. The last move maybe should be Thunder Wave as both Scizor and Azu are slow and would appreciate paralysed opponents. It leaves you without chesto-rest though, which is so very useful on Rotom-H. Or go for TW instead of WoW.

I have two quick questions to ask. (Hopefully I'm in the right place.)
1: When using foul play, do attack buffs from the user effect the damage?
2: When using Entertainment, does the target retain it's altered ability after switching out, or does it go back to it's normal ability?

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I have two quick questions to ask. (Hopefully I'm in the right place.)
1: When using foul play, do attack buffs from the user effect the damage?
2: When using Entertainment, does the target retain it's altered ability after switching out, or does it go back to it's normal ability?
1. If Mandibuzz uses Swords Dance, and then Foul Play, the damage will not be changed. However, if Mandibuzz is burnt, then the damage will be halved.
2. The target will keep its normal ability after switching out.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I believe this is a stupid question, but I'm still asking it.

Is an Attack IV of 3 or 4 even remotely close to being usable for a bulky Dragon Dancer?

I believe this is a stupid question, but I'm still asking it.

Is an Attack IV of 3 or 4 even remotely close to being usable for a bulky Dragon Dancer?
If you can, you should re-breed. You want to be as close to 31 as your patience allows. 29-30 may still be okay, but 3-4 is just too low.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
If you can, you should re-breed. You want to be as close to 31 as your patience allows. 29-30 may still be okay, but 3-4 is just too low.
The RNG was kind enough to give me a Shiny Swablu for ORAS, but trolly enough to make it's attack IV suck. I'll settle for using a nonshiny because I don't purposely breed competitive shinies. (Unless they're Level 1s with Endeavor, but that's because the RNG can't ruin them by giving a crap Attack IV.)

How vital is a Naive nature to All-out Attacker Knock Off Landorus? Knock Off's main use appears to be removing items, most prominently Chansey's Eviolite, but it doesn't look like it would do any important damage. Is there anything Knock Off's damage may be important for, such as a 2HKO combining KO + another move?

How vital is a Naive nature to All-out Attacker Knock Off Landorus? Knock Off's main use appears to be removing items, most prominently Chansey's Eviolite, but it doesn't look like it would do any important damage. Is there anything Knock Off's damage may be important for, such as a 2HKO combining KO + another move?
Knock Off lets Lando destroy Lati@s on the switch in. With a timid nature, it fails to OHKO. Even with rocks timid Knock Off fails to OHKO most of the time.

0 Atk Life Orb Landorus Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 265-312 (87.7 - 103.3%) -- 25% chance to OHKO (guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock)
0- Atk Life Orb Landorus Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 237-281 (78.4 - 93%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock)

EDIT: Just realized Latias has 10 higher base defense. Naive Knock Off can't even OHKO Latias most of the time after SR, but Timid Knock Off never will:

0 Atk Life Orb Landorus Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latias: 239-283 (79.1 - 93.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
0- Atk Life Orb Landorus Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latias: 216-255 (71.5 - 84.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Why do people use Icicle Spear instead of Icicle Crash on Mamoswine?
It requires 5 hits to do more damage, which is highly unlikely, and Icicle Crash has a decent flinch chance.
The only reasons I can think of are the 90% accuracy with Icicle Crash, and Icicle Spears ability to go through sub and sturdy.

It requires 5 hits to do more damage, which is highly unlikely, and Icicle Crash has a decent flinch chance.
The only reasons I can think of are the 90% accuracy with Icicle Crash, and Icicle Spears ability to go through sub and sturdy.
You just answered your own question!

On Mega Scizor's analysis for its bulky SD set, it's EV's are tailored to not be 2HKO'd by Aegislash's Shadow Ball. Now that it has been banned, where should those EV's in SpD go?

Additionally, Life Orb Jolly Mamoswine with Icicle Spear is also one of the few pokemon that can outspeed and OHKO Breloom (always OHKOes with 2 hits) and Smeargle (needs 3+ hits) through their Focus Sashes without getting Spored/Dark Voided.

Hey, just wanted to drop a quick question. A big thanks in advance.

With regards to building a balanced/bulky offense team in the current OU metagame, what are some things that will greatly increase your chance of creating a consistent, solid team? (e.g. X number of water resists, a FWG/FSD core, a MVenusaur check/counter and the like...) These don't all have to be essentials, but mostly things that'll fit in with the play style of balanced/ bulky offense.

Hey, just wanted to drop a quick question. A big thanks in advance.

With regards to building a balanced/bulky offense team in the current OU metagame, what are some things that will greatly increase your chance of creating a consistent, solid team? (e.g. X number of water resists, a FWG/FSD core, a MVenusaur check/counter and the like...) These don't all have to be essentials, but mostly things that'll fit in with the play style of balanced/ bulky offense.
This is a bit hard to answer, as it depends on which pokemon you decide to build around, but here are some of the things that I keep in mind (along with general teambuilding issues, such as a Stealth Rock user, not auto-losing to any setup sweeper etc.).
Good offensive and defensive synergy between your pokemon, which could include one of the standard typecores, preferably with at least two resistances/immunities to all common attacking types. I think this is one of the key factors that differentiates bulky offense from hyper offense, as hyper offensive teams don't rely on having switchins, and often pack multiple pokemon that are weak to a certain type of attack, particularly Ice moves.
An answer to fast, powerful pokemon with wide coverage, particularly non-Choiced attackers such as Greninja.
Some sort of plan for handling status moves. This doesn't mean that the team needs to include a cleric, but if your opponent brings something like Thundurus, Gliscor or Sableye, then you need to be able to beat them before they have the chance to inflict their favourite status move on your whole team. Immunities can really help here too.
Some answer to offensive weather cores (mostly Tyranitar + Excadrill or Politoed + Swift Swim user)
At least one pokemon that can serve as a win condition. More broadly, this could potentially include a setup sweeper, or a Choice Band/Specs user that can inflict heavy damage on anything that might switch in on it.
Something to directly pressure stall/semi-stall, that may also serve as a possible win condition. This also has some crossover with the previous point, and indeed, certain Megas can put a lot of pressure on all teams if given a free switchin. This could also include, amongst other things, Taunt, Knock Off, Unaware, Magic Guard or the ability to trap.
Some form of hazard removal, generally a bulky Defog user or Mold Breaker Excadrill.

Is there anywhere I can find an updated BW OU banlist? Someone said that there are more banned pokémon in XY than in BW, and I believe otherwise (at least proportionally).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)