RU Sandslash

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
QC Checks: [ Molk ] [ EonX ] [ atomicllamas ]
GP Checks: [ GatoDelFuego ] [ Rohail ]

the badass from everyone's childhood

Overview
########
Sandslash turned from a mediocre Pokemon in BW to an outstanding Rapid Spin user in XY with one simple change: Knock Off's buff. Knock Off allows Sandslash to beat almost all spinblockers, including Mismagius, Jellicent, Banette, and most importantly, Doublade. With Sandslash's bulk and typing, it can also threaten most Stealth Rock users, including Rhyperior, Cobalion, and Registeel. Along with Knock Off, Sandslash learns other notable moves such as Earthquake, Stone Edge, Stealth Rock, and Swords Dance, which can turn Sandslash into a boosting threat. It has good base 100 Attack coupled with respectable physical bulk, but its Special Defense stat is poor, and its Speed is nothing special.

Rapid Spin
########
name: Rapid Spin
move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Stealth Rock / Swords Dance
ability: Sand Rush
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
nature: Adamant

Moves
========
Rapid Spin is the only reason to use Sandslash. Knock Off allows Sandslash to beat most spinblockers such as Jellicent, Mismagius, Banette, and most importantly Doublade. Earthquake is a strong STAB option that can hurt Pokemon such as Rhyperior, Registeel, and Cobalion, and hits Spiritomb for more damage than Knock Off. In the last slot, Stealth Rock can be used if there is no other setter on the team, while Swords Dance allows Sandslash to beat spinblockers with more ease and lets it perform better against defensive teams.

Set Details
========
The EVs aim to maximize bulk and power by having maximum investment in HP and Attack, with an Adamant nature to boost Sandslash's damage output. Leftovers is a staple on bulky Pokemon, and Sandslash lacks any other way of recovery, but Soft Sand can be used to ensure that a +2 Earthquake OHKOes Pokemon such as Doublade and Spiritomb. A defensive spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk with an Impish nature can be used for more physical bulk, but isn't advised because Sandslash can't beat spinblockers reliably with such low Attack investment.

Usage Tips
========
Bring out Sandslash whenever entry hazards need to be removed. It can Rapid Spin against most hazard setters, including Rhyperior, Registeel, Drapion, and Cobalion, so that should be taken advantage of. If the opponent has a spinblocker, then use Knock Off, Swords Dance, or Earthquake depending on the spinblocker itself; if it's Doublade, Banette, Mismagius, or Jellicent, then using Swords Dance, or Knock Off followed by Earthquake, is better. If it's Spiritomb, then using Earthquake, or Swords Dance followed by Earthquake, is better. Swords Dance should also be taken advantage of against defensive teams, as a +2 Soft Sand-boosted Earthquake can hurt a lot of Pokemon, including Aromatisse and Registeel. Sandslash is fairly bulky, so it can take a couple hits from Pokemon such as Hitmonlee and Cobalion and hurt them back with Earthquake. Finally, Knock Off is a spammable move, so don't hesitate to use it if you're not sure what to do.

Team Options
========
In general, Pokemon that like Stealth Rock removed appreciate Sandslash's support. Therefore, Fire-types such as Moltres and Delphox and Flying-types such as Braviary and Swellow make good teammates. In addition to liking Stealth Rock removed, the aforementioned Pokemon also have good defensive synergy with Sandslash, with Sandslash taking Rock- and Electric-type moves aimed at Moltres, Swellow, and Braviary, and them taking Grass-type moves aimed at Sandslash. Substitute + Bulk Up Braviary in particular is a good teammate for its ability to set up on a lot of Sandslash's counters, including Tangrowth, Gastrodon lacking Ice Beam, and Alomomola.

Sandslash fits well on Spikes-stacking hyper offense teams for its ability to use Rapid Spin and set up Stealth Rock, so Accelgor and Qwilfish are good partners for setting up Spikes and, in Qwilfish's case, Toxic Spikes. Likewise, it can also fit onto defensive teams that stack entry hazards for passive damage but don't want to rely on Defog from Gligar or Golbat. Finally, Sandslash appreciates having Grass-type teammates, such as Tangrowth, Amoonguss, and Rotom-C, to switch into Water-types. Virizion can also switch in against most Water- and Grass-type Pokemon and set up Swords Dance without any problems.

Other Options
########
An offensive Sand Rush set with Sandstorm, Earthquake, Stone Edge, and Knock Off with Life Orb can be used, but it's subpar and outclassed as a sweeper by Rock Polish Rhyperior, which has more power and bulk. Counter can be utilized with a defensive set, but Sandslash lacks reliable recovery and therefore can't pull it off too well. Toxic can also be used on a defensive set to cripple switch-ins such as Alomomola and Tangrowth. Additionally, Sandslash has cool coverage options such as Stone Edge and Iron Tail, which hit Moltres and Aromatisse, respectively.

Checks & Counters
########
**Strong Special Attackers**: Sandslash has pitiful Special Defense, and for that reason, any strong special attacker will hurt it a lot. Examples include Exploud, Clawitzer, and Meloetta.

**Flying-types**: If Sandslash doesn't have Stone Edge, most Flying-types can counter it easily. Fletchinder can burn it and use it as setup fodder, and Substitute + Bulk Up Braviary can also set up on it. Moltres can outright KO Sandslash with Fire Blast.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types resist Sandslash's STAB moves and hit it super effectively. Rotom-C, Tangrowth, Shiftry, and Amoonguss can switch in easily and KO Sandslash with Leaf Storm or Giga Drain. Virizion resists Earthquake and doesn't mind Knock Off as it can gain a free Attack boost from Justified. Mega Abomasnow resists Earthquake and takes little damage from Knock Off while only fearing Stone Edge, and can OHKO with Giga Drain or Blizzard.

**Water-types**: Alomomola and Gastrodon can switch in relatively easily and threaten to KO Sandslash with Scald.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Things I am unsure about:
- EV spread. I have used an offensive one and it is great (the one I have right now) but I know some people have been using a physically defensive EV spread ( The Leprechaun ) with some success, so I need some input on this. I also need to know if I should have any speed at all. Right now it has 4 speed to always outspeed Alomomola and maybe bulky emboar lol.
- swords dance slash.
- OO
- Team Options. I don't know what else to add, I exclusively tested sandslash on HO so I guess I'll need to test it with other playstyles. I guess I should add some offensive mons that synergize well with it.

The Leprechaun

wear nike not fila
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I did run a max hp max def impish set and it was very effective in checking all physical attackers as well as having a decent damage output. I never tested an offensive spread so I really can't compare the two. All i do know is that a defensive spread lets it perform its role of spinning as well as rock setting very well and I'd guess it does it better than if it didn't have def investment as, in my experience (around 80-100 games with it) it spent more time using supporting moves such as rapid spin and stealth rock than using attacking moves such as knock off and eq. There were many occasions when i switched it into physical attackers to find an opportunity to spin and had i not had def investment, this would have been impossible. I believe the main reason attack investment is used is to beat common spin blockers, mainly doublade, but i think defensive slash almost does as well as offensive slash in beating these ghosts.

4 Atk Sandslash Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Doublade: 152-182 (47.2 - 56.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
4 Atk Sandslash Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 68-80 (21.1 - 24.8%) -- 14.7% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock

4 Atk Sandslash Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mismagius: 212-250 (80.9 - 95.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Defensive sets always 3hko doublade and take minimal damage back. Offensive sets don't net a guaranteed 2hkoon blade but obviously always ohko missy.

Using a fully offensive spread can be appealing for the damage output but because its main role is spinning and setting rocks, and it still has fairly decent natural attack, i think that the staying power granted by the def investment makes the defensive spread more effective.

I think you can do a Sand Rush set similar to Excadrill's in OU, so sand rush LO, rapid spin, eq + knock off, and prolly sd/stone edge. And then make the first one the defensive set. idk tho

For the defensive set doe:

Impish > Adamant mainly because you get better stats, you want to wall more, and there's really nothing you want to KO that Adamant does and Impish doesn't (well for the most part).

24 SpD EVs allow you to survive 2 Moonblasts from Aromatisse and an LO Flamethrower from Moltres and LO Modest Bug Buzz from Yanmega. Look how great those EVs improve your SpD

252 SpA Life Orb Moltres Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Sandslash: 300-355 (84.7 - 100.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Moltres Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Sandslash: 289-341 (81.6 - 96.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Moltres Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Sandslash: 282-333 (79.6 - 94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Moltres Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Sandslash: 271-321 (76.5 - 90.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Simple 24 EVs bring Sandslash's SpD to a whole new level.

4 Spe outspeed Alomomola and Roselia

So now we have:

252 HP / ? Atk / ? Def / 28 SpD / 4 Spe,

Investing just enough to OHKO Hitmonlee after Rocks (since hitmonlee will prboably only switch to spin) + LO (so rocks + lo from hjk or rapid spin) would be really needed since you want to punish Hitmonlee for Spinning on you

So here's what I suggest:

252 HP / 128 Atk / 96 Def / 28 SpD / 4 Spe w/ an Impish nature or 252 HP / 128 Atk / 56 Def / 68 SpD / 4 Spe w/ an Impish nature to improve your SpD even more (higher chance to live delhpox's fire blast and KO back)

Tl;Dr: (252 HP / 128 Atk / 96 Def / 28 SpD / 4 Spe) or (252 HP / 128 Atk / 56 Def / 68 SpD / 4 Spe) are your best options for Sandslash, I personally use Sandslash a lot and have been using it before the shuckle ban and it has been working for me since along time, so I'm pretty sure ik what I'm talking about.

Finally, I think you should add Counter, Toxic, and Stone Edge (Moltres) in OO, maybe even Iron tail, Super Fang, and Rest. Iron Tail 2HKO-s SpD Aroma, Super Fang is consistent and does a lot for the firs hit, while rest can be used for recover w/ chesto berry/sleep talk. Counter can be really useful vs. pokemons such as hitmonlee having not to invest anything and OHKO back, Toxic is toxic, pressure cleric, while Stone Edge can be used to hit moltres, which otherwise is a trouble to Sandslash

aVocado

@ Everstone
Professional2341 I might test a sand rush set although its reliance on sandstorm really blows. I'll also test your spread and maybe talk about it with QC members.

I'll definitely add those moves to OO though. thanks!

Y would you ever use sand rush
You need hippopotas support and using stuff like Double Dance Rhyperior + Memento Uxie is lore effective if you want to waste 2 Pokemon slots

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Keep Sandstorm/Sand Rush in OO for now.

In Team Options, be sure to mention that outside of being a good teammate to specific Pokemon such as Moltres and Delphox that need entry hazards removed, that it also works well on more defensive teams that don't enjoy having hazards stacked up on them, not clearing your own hazards away is enough of a niche over Gligar to deserve a mention such as this. Also be sure to mention that a lot of the individual Pokemon that appreciate Sandslash's Rapid Spin support the most happen to have some solid defensive/offensive synergy with it (Moltres can take Grass moves for Sandslash, Sandslash can take Rock-type moves and Volt Switches for Molt in return, Yanmega appreciates Sandslash's ability to EQ Registeel, etc).

Virizion and Mega Abomasnow deserve special mention in checks and counters, the former gets a free Attack boost from switching into Knock Off and can set up on Sandslash, the latter resists EQ, absorbs Knock Off quite nicely, and is quite challenging to switch into safely once it gets in on slash.

Another good Pokemon to mention in checks and counters would be Fletchinder, since its immune to EQ, doesnt take full damage from Knock Off, and can either burn Sandslash or use it as a method to set up Swords Dance.

Something important to mention in both the overview and usage tips is that not just does Sandslash match up well against common spinblockers, but it also matches up well against many of the common hazard setters. Rhyperior, Registeel, Cobalion, defensive Drapion, and the occasional Bronzong are a few good examples of Pokemon that slash matches up well against.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Make special mention of Virizion. It easily takes advantage of Alomomola and can easily switch-in vs. most Water- and Grass-types and begin setting up with SD. Otherwise, solid stuff. Underrated mon imo

QC Approved 2/3

aVocado

@ Everstone
Thanks EonX. I'll wait on writing this until the results of the suspect tests are out though, to not have to change sentences and remove stuff later on.

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
amcheck :)

add remove (comments)

Overview
########
(line break after each header can improve readability but is not necessary)
Sandslash turned from a mediocre Pokemon in BW to an outstanding Rapid Spin user in XY with one simple change: (colon) Knock Off's buff. Knock Off allows Sandslash to beat almost all spinblockers, including in RU such as Mismagius, Jellicent, Banette, and most importantly, Doublade. With Sandslash's bulk and typing STAB, it can also threaten most Stealth Rock users, including such as Rhyperior, Cobalion, and Registeel. Along with its access to Knock Off, Sandslash learns other notable moves such as Earthquake, Stone Edge, Stealth Rock, and Swords Dance which can turn Sandslash into a boosting threat when boosted. Its got has good base 100 Attack coupled with respectableful physical bulk consisting of base 75 HP and 110 Def, but its Special Defense stat is poor, and its Speed is nothing special.

Rapid Spin
########

Moves
========

Rapid Spin is the most important move as it is the biggest reason to use Sandslash, and removes all kinds of hazards. Knock Off allows Sandslash to beat most spinblockers such as Jellicent, Mismagius, Banette, and most importantly Doublade. (<- already said in the overview) Earthquake is a strong STAB option that can hurt Pokemon such as Rhyperior, Registeel, and Cobalion, and hits Spiritomb for more damage than Knock Off. In the last slot, Stealth Rock can be used if there is no other setter on the team, while Swords Dance allows Sandslash to better beat spinblockers and allows at +2, while also allowing it to perform better against defensive teams. (change solely to avoid the repetition of "while" which can be confusing)

Set Details
========

The EV investment is standard on a bulky Pokemon such as Sandslash, as The EVs aim to maximize bulk and power by having maximum investment in HP and Attack, respectively, with an Adamant nature to boost its Sandslash's damage output. Leftovers is a staple on bulky Pokemon, and Sandslash lacks any other way of recovery, but Soft Sand can be used to ensure +2 Earthquake OHKOes on Pokemon such as Doublade and Spiritomb at +2 with Earthquake. A defensive spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk with an Impish nature can be used for more longevity survivability, but isn't advised because it Sandslash can't beat spinblockers reliably with such low investment that way.

Usage Tips
========

Bring out Sandslash whenever hazards need to be removed. (period), and It can Rapid Spin against most hazard setters, including such as Rhyperior, Registeel, Drapion, and Cobalion, so that should be taken advantage of. If the opponent has a spinblocker, then use Knock Off, Swords Dance, or use Earthquake depending on the spinblocker itself; if it's Doublade, Banette, Mismagius, or Jellicent, then Swords Dance, or Knock Off followed by Earthquake, (comma) or Swords Dance is better. If it's Spiritomb, then using Earthquake, (comma) or Swords Dance followed by Earthquake, (comma) (<- Hope this is what you meant, it was vague) is better. Swords Dance should also be taken advantage of against defensive teams, as a +2 Soft Sand-boosted Earthquake can hurt a lot of Pokemon, including such as Aromatisse and Registeel. Sandslash is fairly bulky, so and for that reason it can take a couple hits from Pokemon such as Hitmonlee and Cobalion and hurt them back with Earthquake, so it can be considered a good check to said Pokemon. Finally, Knock Off is a spammable move, so don't hesitate to use it if you're not sure what to do.

Team Options
========

In general, Pokemon that like Stealth Rock removed appreciate Sandslash's support. Therefore, Fire-types such as Moltres and Delphox, and Flying-types such as Braviary and Swellow, make good teammates. In addition to liking Stealth Rock removed, the aforementioned Fire-types and Flying-types also have good defensive synergy with Sandslash, with Sandslash taking Rock- and Electric-type moves Stone Edge and Volt Switch aimed at Moltres, Swellow, and Braviary, and them taking Grass-type moves aimed at Sandslash. Substitute + Bulk Up Braviary in particular is a good teammate for its ability to set up on a lot of Sandslash's counters, including such as Tangrowth, Gastrodon lacking Ice Beam, and Alomomola, and Gastrodon lacking Ice Beam. (Keep it as is but remove the comma before "and Gastrodon" if Alomomola carries Ice Beam sometimes. I'm not that familiar with RU, sorry.)

Sandslash fits well on Spikes-stacking hyper offense teams hazards stacking Hyper Offense for its ability to spin and set up Stealth Rock, so Accelgor and Qwilfish are good partners for setting up Spikes or, (comma) in Qwilfish's case, Toxic Spikes as well. Likewise, it can also fit onto defensive teams that stack entry hazards for passive damage without having but don't want to rely on Defog from Gligar or Golbat. Finally, Sandslash appreciates having Grass-type teammates, such as Tangrowth, Amoonguss, and Rotom-C, to switch into Water-types, such examples include Tangrowth, Amoonguss, and Rotom-C. Virizion can also switch in against most Water- and Grass-type Pokemon and start setting up Swords Dance without any problems.

Other Options
########

An offensive Sand Rush set with Sandstorm, Earthquake, Stone Edge and Knock Off with Life Orb can be used, but it's subpar and outclassed as a sweeper (by what?). Counter can be utilized with a defensive set, but Sandslash lacks reliable recovery and therefore can't pull it off too well. Toxic can also be used on a defensive set to cripple switch ins such as Alomomola and Tangrowth. Additionally, Sandslash has cool coverage options such as Stone Edge and Iron Tail, which hit Moltres and Aromatisse respectively.

Checks & Counters
########

**Strong Special Attackers**: Sandslash has pitiful Special Defense, and for that reason any strong special attacker will hurt it a lot. Examples include Exploud, Clawitzer, and Meloetta.

**Flying-types**: Assuming If Sandslash doesn't have Stone Edge, most Flying-types can counter it easily. Fletchinder can burn it and use it as setup fodder, and Substitute + Bulk Up Braviary can also set up on it. Moltres can outright KO Sandslash with Fire Blast.

**Grass-types**: They Grass-types resist Sandslash's STAB moves and hit it super effectively. Rotom-C, Tangrowth, Shiftry, and Amoonguss can switch in easily and KO Sandslash with Leaf Storm or Giga Drain. Virizion resists Earthquake and doesn't mind Knock Off as it can have gain a free attack boost with from Justified. Mega Abomasnow resists Earthquake and takes little damage from Knock Off while only fearing Stone Edge, and can OHKO with Giga Drain or Blizzard.

**Water-types**: Alomomola and Gastrodon can switch in relatively easily and threaten to KO Sandslash with Scald.

aVocado

@ Everstone
Thanks frenzyplant, you caught a lot of mistakes that shouldn't have been there lol. I was kinda typing this in a rush, sorry!

I implemented most of your am check.

edit: on the point in usage tips, what i'm trying to say is: doublade is handled by knock off + earthquake or +2 earthquake, while other spinblockers who are weak to dark are also handled the same way, but earthquake should be used on Spiritomb because its neutral to knock off and Earthquake either 2HKOs at +0 or OHKOs at +2 with Soft Sand.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Arikado

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########
Sandslash turned from a mediocre Pokemon in BW to an outstanding Rapid Spin user in XY with one simple change: Knock Off's buff. Knock Off allows Sandslash to beat almost all spinblockers, including Mismagius, Jellicent, Banette, and most importantly, Doublade. With Sandslash's bulk and typing, it can also threaten most Stealth Rock users, including Rhyperior, Cobalion, and Registeel. Along with its access to Knock Off, Sandslash learns other notable moves such as Earthquake, Stone Edge, Stealth Rock, and Swords Dance, (AC) which can turn Sandslash into a boosting threat. It has good base 100 Attack coupled with respectable physical bulk, but its Special Defense stat is poor, and its Speed is nothing special.

Rapid Spin
########

Moves
========
Rapid Spin is the biggest only idk if this makes it seem bad, but it's more true, right? reason to use Sandslash. Knock Off allows Sandslash to beat most spinblockers such as Jellicent, Mismagius, Banette, and most importantly Doublade. Earthquake is a strong STAB option that can hurt Pokemon such as Rhyperior, Registeel, and Cobalion, and hits Spiritomb for more damage than Knock Off. In the last slot, Stealth Rock can be used if there is no other setter on the team, while Swords Dance allows Sandslash to better beat spinblockers and allows it to perform better against defensive teams.

Set Details
========
The EVs aim to maximize bulk and power by having maximum investment in HP and Attack, with an Adamant nature to boost Sandslash's damage output. Leftovers is a staple on bulky Pokemon, and Sandslash lacks any other way of recovery, but Soft Sand can be used to ensure that a +2 Earthquake OHKOes Pokemon such as Doublade and Spiritomb. A defensive spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk with an Impish nature can be used for more longevity, but isn't advised because Sandslash can't beat spinblockers reliably with such low HP investment.

Usage Tips
========
Bring out Sandslash whenever entry hazards need to be removed. It can Rapid Spin against most hazard setters, including Rhyperior, Registeel, Drapion, and Cobalion, so that should be taken advantage of. If the opponent has a spinblocker, then use Knock Off, Swords Dance, or Earthquake depending on the spinblocker itself; if it's Doublade, Banette, Mismagius, or Jellicent, then using Swords Dance, or Knock Off followed by Earthquake, is better. If it's Spiritomb, then using Earthquake, or Swords Dance followed by Earthquake, is better. Swords Dance should also be taken advantage of against defensive teams, as a +2 Soft Sand-boosted Earthquake can hurt a lot of Pokemon, including Aromatisse and Registeel. Sandslash is fairly bulky, so it can take a couple hits from Pokemon such as Hitmonlee and Cobalion and hurt them back with Earthquake. Finally, Knock Off is a spammable move, so don't hesitate to use it if you're not sure what to do.

Team Options
========
In general, Pokemon that like Stealth Rock removed appreciate Sandslash's support. Therefore, Fire-types such as Moltres and Delphox, and Flying-types such as Braviary and Swellow, make good teammates. In addition to liking Stealth Rock removed, the aforementioned Fire-types and Flying-types also have good defensive synergy with Sandslash, with Sandslash taking Rock- and Electric-type moves aimed at Moltres, Swellow, and Braviary, and them taking Grass-type moves aimed at Sandslash. Substitute + Bulk Up Braviary in particular is a good teammate for its ability to set up on a lot of Sandslash's counters, including Tangrowth, Gastrodon lacking Ice Beam, and Alomomola.

Sandslash fits well on Spikes-stacking hyper offense teams for its ability to use Rapid Spin and set up Stealth Rock, so Accelgor and Qwilfish are good partners for setting up Spikes or, in Qwilfish's case, Toxic Spikes, (AC) as well. Likewise, it can also fit onto defensive teams that stack entry hazards for passive damage but don't want to rely on Defog from Gligar or Golbat. Finally, Sandslash appreciates having Grass-type teammates, such as Tangrowth, Amoonguss, and Rotom-C, to switch into Water-types. Virizion can also switch in against most Water- and Grass-type Pokemon and set up Swords Dance without any problems.

Other Options
########
An offensive Sand Rush set with Sandstorm, Earthquake, Stone Edge, (AC) and Knock Off with Life Orb can be used, but it's subpar and outclassed as a sweeper by Rock Polish Rhyperior, (AC) which who has more power and bulk. Counter can be utilized with a defensive set, but Sandslash lacks reliable recovery and therefore can't pull it off too well. Toxic can also be used on a defensive set to cripple switch-ins such as Alomomola and Tangrowth. Additionally, Sandslash has cool coverage options such as Stone Edge and Iron Tail, which hit Moltres and Aromatisse, (AC) respectively.

Checks & Counters
########
**Strong Special Attackers**: Sandslash has pitiful Special Defense, and for that reason any strong special attacker will hurt it a lot. Examples include Exploud, Clawitzer, and Meloetta.

**Flying-types**: If Sandslash doesn't have Stone Edge, most Flying-types can counter it easily. Fletchinder can burn it and use it as setup fodder, and Substitute + Bulk Up Braviary can also set up on it. Moltres can outright KO Sandslash with Fire Blast.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types resist Sandslash's STAB moves and hit it super effectively. Rotom-C, Tangrowth, Shiftry, and Amoonguss can switch in easily and KO Sandslash with Leaf Storm or Giga Drain. Virizion resists Earthquake and doesn't mind Knock Off as it can gain a free Attack boost from Justified. Mega Abomasnow resists Earthquake and takes little damage from Knock Off while only fearing Stone Edge, and can OHKO with Giga Drain or Blizzard.

1/2

Last edited:

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
GP Check

Overview
########
Sandslash turned from a mediocre Pokemon in BW to an outstanding Rapid Spin user in XY with one simple change: Knock Off's buff. Knock Off allows Sandslash to beat almost all spinblockers, including Mismagius, Jellicent, Banette, and most importantly, Doublade. With Sandslash's bulk and typing, it can also threaten most Stealth Rock users, including Rhyperior, Cobalion, and Registeel. Along with its access to Knock Off, Sandslash learns other notable moves such as Earthquake, Stone Edge, Stealth Rock, and Swords Dance, which can turn Sandslash into a boosting threat. It has good base 100 Attack coupled with respectable physical bulk, but its Special Defense stat is poor, and its Speed is nothing special.

Rapid Spin
########

Moves
========
Rapid Spin is the only reason to use Sandslash. Knock Off allows Sandslash to beat most spinblockers such as Jellicent, Mismagius, Banette, and most importantly Doublade. Earthquake is a strong STAB option that can hurt Pokemon such as Rhyperior, Registeel, and Cobalion, and hits Spiritomb for more damage than Knock Off. In the last slot, Stealth Rock can be used if there is no other setter on the team, while Swords Dance allows Sandslash to better beat spinblockers with more ease and allowlets it to perform better against defensive teams.

Set Details
========
The EVs aim to maximize bulk and power by having maximum investment in HP and Attack, with an Adamant nature to boost Sandslash's damage output. Leftovers is a staple on bulky Pokemon, and Sandslash lacks any other way of recovery, but Soft Sand can be used to ensure that a +2 Earthquake OHKOes Pokemon such as Doublade and Spiritomb. A defensive spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk with an Impish nature can be used for more longevityphysical bulk, but isn't advised because Sandslash can't beat spinblockers reliably with such low HPAttack investment.

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========
In general, Pokemon that like Stealth Rock removed appreciate Sandslash's support. Therefore, Fire-types such as Moltres and Delphox,(RC) and Flying-types such as Braviary and Swellow,(RC) make good teammates. In addition to liking Stealth Rock removed, the aforementioned Fire-types and Flying-typesPokemon also have good defensive synergy with Sandslash, with Sandslash taking Rock- and Electric-type moves aimed at Moltres, Swellow, and Braviary, and them taking Grass-type moves aimed at Sandslash. Substitute + Bulk Up Braviary in particular is a good teammate for its ability to set up on a lot of Sandslash's counters, including Tangrowth, Gastrodon lacking Ice Beam, and Alomomola.

Sandslash fits well on Spikes-stacking hyper offense teams for its ability to use Rapid Spin and set up Stealth Rock, so Accelgor and Qwilfish are good partners for setting up Spikes orand, in Qwilfish's case, Toxic Spikes,(RC) as well. Likewise, it can also fit onto defensive teams that stack entry hazards for passive damage but don't want to rely on Defog from Gligar or Golbat. Finally, Sandslash appreciates having Grass-type teammates, such as Tangrowth, Amoonguss, and Rotom-C, to switch into Water-types. Virizion can also switch in against most Water- and Grass-type Pokemon and set up Swords Dance without any problems.

Other Options
########
An offensive Sand Rush set with Sandstorm, Earthquake, Stone Edge, and Knock Off with Life Orb can be used, but it's subpar and outclassed as a sweeper by Rock Polish Rhyperior, which has more power and bulk. Counter can be utilized with a defensive set, but Sandslash lacks reliable recovery and therefore can't pull it off too well. Toxic can also be used on a defensive set to cripple switch-ins such as Alomomola and Tangrowth. Additionally, Sandslash has cool coverage options such as Stone Edge and Iron Tail, which hit Moltres and Aromatisse, respectively.

Checks &amp; Counters
########
**Strong Special Attackers**: Sandslash has pitiful Special Defense, and for that reason,(AC) any strong special attacker will hurt it a lot. Examples include Exploud, Clawitzer, and Meloetta.

Good job Arikado

GP Approved 2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)