XY OU Hit the Top. Balanced Hitmontop OU. (1784+ and climbing).

Hello everyone!

My name is PeterCochupo and this is my second RMT. I'm a big fan of this section and I spend a lot of time reading threads in here as it's important to know every popular team you are facing on the ladder.

Proof of peak:

The team I describe here is nothing special, with mons that usually don't give much trouble.
WHY hitmontop on the OU meta? Because when I was building the team I needed a rapid spinner and I choose the crappiest one and I took him to the top.
Well, let's take a look at the team:

Changes in red. (Ty to Livio)

"Stall needs to die, and I'm the man for that job."
Olallo (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 116 Def / 148 Spe
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Earthquake

• This thing can taunt common leads as non scarfed Lando-T, ferrothorn, breloom, another gliscors.
  • He can set rocks.
  • He can knock off items
  • He can deal decent amount of damage on heatran, tyranitar.
  • I use him as my leader most of time, use taunt on the opossing lead and proceed to set up rocks and next knock off an item.
  • The EVs spread is max HP to make him bulky, 148 to outspeed breloom and avoid the spore and the rest on def with impish nature to make him enough bulky to take hits from char X and mawile.

"My, my, my music hits me so hard".
M.C. Hammer (Ferrothorn) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Spikes
  • I took the EVs spread from uCan'tSeeMe. 252 evs on HP gives him an amazing bulk, while 88 Sp.Def let him take two life orb greninja Ice Beams (This thing is popular again). Rocky Helmet+Iron Barbs+relaxed nature+168 def evs. I want your landorus/scizor use U-turn on this thing.
  • This is also my answer to every set of azumarril. He can find a lot os opportunities to set up spikes.
  • When I see that my opponent is using a defogger I don't bother to set up spikes and instead I use leech seed+protect to scout for moves. This is specially useful agains Latios as it let my Hitmontop ALWAYS grab the KO on that thing.
  • I'm not worried about spinners, because they will take the amount of damage similar to 3 layers of spikes when they hit my ferrothorn.
  • Gyro ball is the only offensive move and without investment on Atk evs it still hits pretty hard other mons like M-gardevoir, M-medicham, latios (If I choose not to switch to hitmontop).

"I will destroy anything with wings".
Mr. Hugh (Mamoswine) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth rock
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Spear

• If I see my opponent is leading with a breloom, lando-T, landorus, thundurus or anything with wings not named skarmory I will use this mamoot.
  • Icicle spear break substitutes and sashed mons, earthquake hits everything pretty hard, ice shard for priority and endeavor to make use of focus sash, but im thinking to change it for stone edge to grab the ohko on talonflame.
  • EV spread pretty standar, max atk and max speed with jolly nature. I dont know if I should change the nature to adamant.

"I will clean the opposing team with my amazing power and priority".
Jsdrdo (Dragonite) @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

• I use him to clean the opposing team on the late game when everything is hurt enough. It's really important to keep rocks away on my side of the field as Multiscale saved me a lot of games.
  • Choice band extreme speed is used to kill talonflame and kill everything on the late game. Fire punch to OHKO scizor, eartquake for heatran and outrage kills everything not inmune. Slowbro is a 2OHKO and if I got hazards is a OHKO.
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 222-262 (56.3 - 66.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 3 layers of Spikes.

"Any other mega is too mainstream".

Chorche (Venusaur-Mega) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 228 HP / 252 SpA / 24 SpD
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

• I needed a more reliable check to ferrothorn, scizor, CLEFABLE, another grass types and fight type.
  • This is a hit (really hard) and run mon. I got both stabs in the form of sludge bomb and giga drain, HP fire is for the x4 weakness on ferrothorn, scizor and the rare abomasnow.
  • Synthesis so I can live longer.
  • With this thing I can win the 1vs1 against landorus-T, tyranitar and calm mind clefable. Im amazed by the huge amount of people that use clefable to set up on this thing. First turn they use calm mind and I switch to venusaur, second turn sludge bomb 56.8 - 67.5% of damage and they use calm mind again, third turn I use sludge bomb 42.6 - 50.7% and clefable is gone.

"Sure you can kill me"

Pelu is (BAN ME PLEASE) (Hitmontop) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Mach punch
- Sucker Punch
- Rapid Spin

• This thing. I simply love him. He is my revenge killer and my spinner because defog is unreliable.
  • Max HP and leftover so he can live longer. Max atk is needed to grab the vitals KO's.
  • It's all priority with him. Let's suppose I'm facing a latios 1vs1. Latios can grab the OHKO on hitmontop with psyshock BUT wait, Hitmontop use fake out and does 23.1 - 27.4%, second turn Latios thinks he can KO my hitmontop, but I use sucker punch and I kill him.
  • Basically a lot of thing are played around using this strategy. hazards+fake out+ mach punch/sucker punch.
  • It's really important for mamoswine and dragonite to keep hazards away from my side of the field, and this guy accomplish that task.

And well, that's it for now. Any rate and suggestion are really appreciated. I'll post some replays later.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-152500859
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-152114060 (This one is annoying as hell)

Last edited:

PokèManiac Livio

Un panino al salame
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi there, cool team and good idea on playing Hitmontop, I love his ability to enter on many common Stealth Rock setters of the Ou tier such as Tyranitar, Heatran, Ferrothorn or an eventual opponent Mamoswine and spin off the entry hazard. Anyway I have some advice for you about your mon sets, in way to make them more efficient as possible. First off, i suggest you to change its ability from Technician to Intimidate, then a bit the Evs spread and the moveset of the Star of the team, i obviously mean the above mentioned Hitmontop. A set of Rapid Spin/Close Combat/Sucker Punch/Foresight should help you a lot. Foresight is the only thing that makes it a good spinner in a tier where Flying typing are everywhere, it allows Hitmontop to use Rapid Spin or Close Combat on Ghost type pokemon unless the opponent has two of them. Close Combat is usually prefered on Mach Punch because of its Base Power, since Atk stat of Hitmontop is less than mediocre.

I recommend you to change something on your Gliscor. Moving 8 evs from HP to Speed/Defense allows Gliscor to maximize the Poison Heal recovery. You should also consider Roost/U-Turn>Stealth Rock and putting them over Endavor on Mamoswine due to gain a reliable recovery move or a good way to find momentum for setting up hazards with Mamoswine and Ferrothorn or in favour of the offensive presence of your CBDragonite. Last but not least give 24 Evs in speed on Venusaur to outspeed Adamant Belly Drum Azumarill that could give you some trouble.

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Close Combat
- Foresight
- Rapid Spin
- Sucker Punch

U-Turn/Roost>Stealth Rock

Stealth Rock>Endeavor

232HP/252Satk/24Spd

[hide/]

Hi there, cool team and good idea on playing Hitmontop, I love his ability to enter on many common Stealth Rock setters of the Ou tier such as Tyranitar, Heatran, Ferrothorn or an eventual opponent Mamoswine and spin off the entry hazard. Anyway I have some advice for you about your mon sets, in way to make them more efficient as possible. First off, i suggest you to change its ability from Technician to Intimidate, then a bit the Evs spread and the moveset of the Star of the team, i obviously mean the above mentioned Hitmontop. A set of Rapid Spin/Close Combat/Sucker Punch/Foresight should help you a lot. Foresight is the only thing that makes it a good spinner in a tier where Flying typing are everywhere, it allows Hitmontop to use Rapid Spin or Close Combat on Ghost type pokemon unless the opponent has two of them. Close Combat is usually prefered on Mach Punch because of its Base Power, since Atk stat of Hitmontop is less than mediocre.

I recommend you to change something on your Gliscor. Moving 8 evs from HP to Speed/Defense allows Gliscor to maximize the Poison Heal recovery. You should also consider Roost/U-Turn>Stealth Rock and putting them over Endavor on Mamoswine due to gain a reliable recovery move or a good way to find momentum for setting up hazards with Mamoswine and Ferrothorn or in favour of the offensive presence of your CBDragonite. Last but not least give 24 Evs in speed on Venusaur to outspeed Adamant Belly Drum Azumarill that could give you some trouble.

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Close Combat
- Foresight
- Rapid Spin
- Sucker Punch

U-Turn/Roost>Stealth Rock

Stealth Rock>Endeavor
232HP/252Satk/24Spd

[hide/]
Ty very much. I will try your suggestions. For now, U-turn is working great on gliscor but I have trouble setting rocks with mamoswine more than one time. Also, hitmontop is working really well. Again, ty very much. I will update the post later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)