XY LC VoltTurn - A Novam Aetatem | Peaked #1

~~A Novam Aetatem~~

Hello everyone, this is Yagura. I'm bringing you today a VoltTurn team that I had some nice success with after Misdreavus' ban, and because of the lack of LC VoltTurn teams I thought it'd be a great idea to RMT it and probably get some people into the metagame especially that VoltTurn teams in general are fun and easy to use. Without any further delay here is the team.

(M) @

Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Atk / 156 Def / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp

Thanks Goddess Briyella for the idea :)

The first member of the team and of the VoltTurn core is Larvesta, I chose it because it's the most viable Pokémon with access to STAB U-Turn. Larvesta also has a high Attack which allows it to hit 19 with Adamant, and also great bulk with Eviolite and the ability to punish with Fighting-types and other physical attackers with Flame Body. U-Turn is Larvesta's main Bug STAB move which helps in gaining momentum easily especially when combined with other U-Turn/Volt Switch, Flare Blitz is Larvesta's other STAB move and it does massive damage to anything that doesn't resist it, Morning Sun is for recovery to improve Larvesta's longevity and Will-O-Wisp is to burn physical attackers in case Flame Body doesn't activate.

@

Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 52 Def / 232 SAtk / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ground]

The second member of the VoltTurn core is Chinchou, I chose it because the team has a little of problems dealing with Fire and Water attacks so Chinchou was the best option. Volt Switch is one of Chinchou's STAB attack and a great way to keep up the offensive momentum, Thunderbolt is Chinchou's other Electric STAB and it can be used to finish Pokémon that are weak to Electric attacks and can't be KOed by Volt Switch, Hydro Pump is Chinchou's Water-type STAB and it's used to deal with Fire-type Pokémon and Ground-type Pokémon that give Chinchou a problem, and Hidden Power Ground is kind of filler but it's used to do some damage to other Chinchous that walls it hard.

Thanks fatty for the idea of using Chinchou over Magnemite.

@

Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 180 Atk / 76 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-Turn
- Earthquake
- Acrobatics
- Defog

Since my core has Larvesta a spinner/defogger was necessary so I chose Archen mainly because it's one of the fastest defoggers in the metagame and is able to hit really hard and it also learns U-Turn. With U-Turn it's able to gain momentum and it fits well in the team's theme, Earthquake is a nice move to deal with Electric- and Steel-types that may a problem otherwhise, Acrobatics is Archen's STAB move and that becomes 110 BP after Berry Juice is consumed, and Defog is to remove hazards, mainly rocks, from my side's of the field to give Larvesta more longevity.

(M) @

Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 156 HP / 196 Def / 116 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- U-turn
- Taunt

Mienfoo is a great Pokémon to have in VoltTurn teams, being really bulky and having access to U-Turn and Knock Off makes it fit really well in this kind of teams. With Knock Off Mienfoo gives great team support as it removes items like Eviolite from bulky Pokémon to take them down easier and faster, Drain Punch is Mienfoo's STAB move and I preferred it over High Jump Kick because it gives Mienfoo recovery, U-Turn is a great move on Mienfoo as it keeps up the momentum and activates its ability Regenerator on the switch to make it heal a little, and Taunt is a nice move to have that makes Mienfoo a nice anti-lead by blocking slower Pokémon from setting up hazards or boosting and stop Foongus from Sporing that may be a problem.

Thanks Corporal Levi for the EV spread and Archen set

(M)
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 196 Atk / 120 SpA / 180 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- U-Turn
- Overheat

Fletchling is a nice Pokémon to have in offensive teams as it takes down the majority of the threats thanks to its ability Gale Wings that gives priority to all Flying-type Pokémon which makes Fletchling have a priority 100 BP attack in Acrobatics that makes it a great revenge killer to Pokémon like Bellsprout under the sun, Scraggy, Mienfoo and all other Fighting-type Pokémon. Swords Dance is a great way to boost Fletchling's mediocre Attack into 30 which makes it more dangerous to take down and may cripple the opponent's plans, U-Turn is a nice move to use especially when predicting the opponent to switch into one of Fletchling's counters and you choose a Pokémon that can take down the counter, and Overheat is used to deal with Steel-type Pokémon when predicting a switch into one like Ferroseed or Pawniard.

@

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 76 Atk / 200 SpA / 204 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Sucker Punch

After having four physical attackers in the team I thought that adding a special attacker is a necessity so I went with Misdreavus but now that it got banned the best replacement in my opinion is Gaslty with its nice Speed and high Special Attack Gastly. I chose Focus Sash as its item because of its low bulk and because I already have a spinner to keep rocks away. Shadow Ball is one of Gastly's main STAB attacks and it's great to deal with Ghost- and Psychic-type Pokémon that may be a problem to the team, Sludge Bomb is Gastla nice move to have especially with the fact that it's super effective against fairies, Hidden Power Fighting is a great coverage move to check Pawniard especially when predicting a switch into it, and the last move is Sucker Punch which is really nice to have Gastly and I recommend you all to try it out, it might seem lame on paper but after you give it a try you'll find out that it's really great because of its unpredictability.

So yeah everyone, that's the team. Feel free to use it and if you have any notice about it I'd be really glad if you say it in a reply. :)

Larvesta (M) @ Eviolite
Level: 5
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun

Chinchou @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 52 Def / 232 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Archen @ Berry Juice
Jolly Nature
- U-Turn
- Earthquake
- Acrobatics
- Defog

Mienfoo (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 156 HP / 196 Def / 116 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- U-turn
- Taunt

Fletchling (M)
Ability: Gale Wings
Happiness: 0
EVs: 196 Atk / 120 SpA / 180 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Overheat

Gastly @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 76 Atk / 200 SpA / 204 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Sucker Punch

Last edited:
I don't feel like reading it all but I don't think that jolly is needed on drilbur, if you are going to use a fast drilbur that can hit foos and such then thats fine but I would use LifeOrb on an offensive drilbur.

i'd suggest using a bulkier spread on mienfoo, go with the standard fast spread of 196 defense/36 spD/236 speed jolly imo. not much other than that, sash gastly seems odd but i guess if it works for you its fine. cool team!

Have you tried sub/disable gastly with LO? You get perfect coverage with Shadow Ball + HP Fight anyway. I tend to find it lasts longer than sashed gastly, especially with its speed. Idk, might be something to try.

Hey Yagura, this team looks really cool and definitely can wreck a lot of opponents due to this team's amazing offensive pressure. There are a few things that could use a bit of work though.

Your team, even with chinchou still has a big weakness to drilbur since chinchou can't get a free switch into drilbur since one earthquake is going to OHKO it. Also , since drilbur is immune to volt switch, which is part of the purpose of your team, it's going to wreck your momentum. To deal with drilbur, I think that destiny bond on gastly could be good. Since it has a focus sash intact, gastly can take one earthquake and you could destiny bond and kill drilbur with you. Gastly with d-bond is also great since it could be a backup plan if your scarf chinchou misses hydro pump. Might not be a good thing to do it early game since gastly is a big offensive threat, but it could be good to get that little pesky mole off your chest, so destiny bond at the right time!

On scarf chinchou, I would stick with scald instead of hydro pump because of accuracy and the burn chance. Plus, drilbur is going to have to take a u-turn from a poke or earthquake from drilbur and then chinchou can scald it to OHKO or burn the switch-in.

Oh yeah, drilbur is not the only poke that can cause problems with this team. Sand abusers sandshrew and also drilbur can also punch holes with the help of hippopotas. Sandshrew and drilbur hit very hard and fast, since those sand abusers are most likely carrying a life orb. Your scarf chinchou is an answer to sandshrew, but, once again, drilbur is a threat. It's even a bigger threat to your team since it gets that power and speed. Good thing sand only lasts 5-8 turns. Hopefully you could stall out with mienfoo and larvesta with u-turning or scarf chinchou hitting hydro pumps. Staryu can also be a neat addition in your team since it has access to recover and it can take some hits, but I don't think it's worth it for the team.

Sub LO gastly like Dhaora said up there could also help with the drilbur and sand abusers to.

Other than that, this team looks great! Just look out for some threats and make good plays and you're set! Good luck!

Last edited:

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Hi Yagura
This team is phenomenal! You did a great job building a good example of voltturn, which is, as you mentioned, a really underrepresented archetype in the RMT section considering its effectiveness. With that being said, I have a couple of quick suggestions.

Your team looks like it might have trouble against Omanyte if it manages to set up a Shell Smash. In addition, as Eren pointed out, Drilbur is able to 2HKO everything on your team. You also seem to lack switch-ins to Chinchou other than your own Chinchou, and Carvanha. Your Gastly set is absolutely fantastic, so I'd rather not try change it. Instead, the easiest solution would probably be to change Mienfoo's EV spread to 156 HP / 196 Def / 116 SpD with a Careful nature, granting Mienfoo significantly more mixed bulk and allowing it to check a greater number of threats; at full health and with its Eviolite, it is usually able to survive the OHKO from Omanyte's +2 Surf and the 2HKO from Drilbur's Earthquake, in addition to anything less powerful than those attacks.
+2 196+ SpA Omanyte Surf vs. 76 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo: 24-28 (109 - 127.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 196+ SpA Omanyte Surf vs. 156 HP / 196 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo: 18-22 (78.2 - 95.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
236 Atk Mold Breaker Drilbur Earthquake vs. 76 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 12-15 (54.5 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236 Atk Mold Breaker Drilbur Earthquake vs. 156 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 9-12 (39.1 - 52.1%) -- 9.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Of course, with this change, Mienfoo isn't quite fast enough to Taunt Dwebble leads effectively; however, this shouldn't be too much of a problem when you have a hazard remover. You could instead replace Taunt with Acrobatics, which is useful for beating Timburr and Acrobatics or Stone Edge Mienfoo, both of which you lack switch-ins for; keep in mind, though, that if the enemy has Omanyte, you'll probably want to maintain your Eviolite.

Flying-types such as Doduo, Taillow, and Fletchling all look like they can pose as problems, because Chinchou is your only switch-in to them as it is, and Chinchou is easily worn down; for the same reason, Fire-types could also be fairly troublesome. What could be done is to replace Drilbur with Archen, granting you an additional soft check to both Flying- and Fire-types, while still providing Defog and possibly Stealth Rock support. Although this will leave you more open to Magnemite and Pawniard, Chinchou and Mienfoo should suffice in dealing with Magnemite, and as for Pawniard, you have two fairly effective Pawniard lures in Fletchling and Gastly on top of Mienfoo.
Archen @ Berry Juice
Jolly Nature
- U-Turn / Stealth Rock / Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb / Acrobatics / Stone Edge
- Defog
Providing Defog support is a big part of Archen's niche; unlike Drilbur, Archen doesn't have to engage in prediction games against Ghost-types to get rid of hazards. For Archen's STAB move, Acrobatics is a good choice, dealing heavy damage to most enemies after Berry Juice has been activated, while Rock Tomb is enough to OHKO Fletchling if Archen runs 180 Atk EVs and can help ease prediction; Stone Edge is also a viable option for consistent damage, although its low accuracy is unappealing. Earthquake provides good coverage with Archen's STAB moves, and most notably hits Pawniard and Magnemite for heavy damage. Running two STAB moves and Earthquake can work, but there is also the option to dedicate a moveslot to a more supportive option. U-Turn fits with the theme of the rest of your team and is useful for providing momentum, whereas Stealth Rock is useful for supporting an offensive team, although Defog should usually be Archen's first priority on a team that is so reliant on switching. I have been having success running Knock Off in this slot; a combination of Knock Off and Earthquake is usually enough to get rid of Pawniard, providing yet another Pawniard lure. It is also useful for crippling certain walls that tend to switch in, such as Porygon and Chinchou, which really helps to support a Fletchling sweep. If Stealth Rock is run, you could change the spread to 76 HP / 20 Atk / 156 Def / 196 Spe with a Jolly nature and Berry Juice for more bulk to find opportunities to support the team, and Rock Slide should be run over Rock Tomb to OHKO Fletchling.

Other than that, I don't have much to say; your team really is excellent. Good luck!

Last edited:

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Hi, Yagura!

This is a cool VoltTurn team you've put together here, and I've been meaning to read over it in detail for a while. Now that I've had the chance to do that, I would like to offer a few suggestions. :)

Your team looks like it has issues with fighting against the Slowpoke/Foongus Regenerator core. The team also has no status absorber to take a Spore from Foongus, which guarantees the incapacitation of a valuable team member if Larvesta isn't the active Pokemon at the time Foongus is out (Fletchling has a very low chance to OHKO Foongus with itemless Acrobatics after Stealth Rock).

I've never used Larvesta without its slow U-turn, physical bulk, Morning Sun, and Will-O-Wisp, which are all the things that make Larvesta good, so a Choice Scarf set without these things is sort of odd to me. Flare Blitz without recovery doesn't do much for Larvesta's survivability either, especially considering it doesn't have Eviolite to take hits if it isn't U-turning out or if it can't KO the active enemy.

Larvesta @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp

I think this would suit Larvesta and the team a lot better. It boasts all of Larvesta's strong points described above and can also threaten physical attackers with burn status. It maintains the same offensive potency from your original set, and now guarantees that its U-turn will bring in a teammate without having to take a hit in most cases (it walls Fighting- and Fairy-types, giving it many opportunities to force a switch to capitalize with U-turn as well), while Larvesta will still have enough Speed to get the jump on Foongus with a Flare Blitz OHKO and a super effective U-turn against Slowpoke before pivoting out to Chinchou and keeping up offensive pressure. Zen Headbutt with the original set fails to OHKO Trubbish, which will just spam Recycle, and all the Fighting-types you'd want to hit with it would be better off switching out anyway. The only downside from this change would be that you lose out on outspeeding Archen and nailing it with Wild Charge, but Choice Scarf Chinchou threatens it well enough.

->

Overcoat Vullaby might be ideal over Drilbur as a hazard control Pokemon that can sustain itself with Roost and not get worn down throughout battles. All of its weaknesses are covered by the team's other members. It also serves as a solid counter to Foongus (something the original team has problems with), giving your team a Spore/Stun Spore absorber, and can use U-turn to cause further pressure to opponents and also fit the theme of the team. Obviously, you would have to miss out on Stealth Rock in order to patch this in, so it's totally optional, though all the Sturdy Pokemon you'd mess up with Stealth Rock can be handled by the team already anyway if played correctly, and most practical Focus Sashed enemies would be leads (or Magic Guard Abra) and wouldn't take Stealth Rock damage in the first place unless they've already accomplished their purpose and are to be used as fodder later. Your Mienfoo set already shuts down Dwebble with 17 Speed and Taunt. Tirtouga is beaten by Mienfoo, and both Larvesta and Fletchling can break Sturdy with U-turn before pivoting out to Mienfoo, which is guaranteed to survive +2 Waterfall with your spread before OHKOing back with a super effective Drain Punch on its lowered Defense after Shell Smash.

Fletchling's lack of Roost means it has to be played very carefully, but Overheat is good for Steel switch-ins, so that looks fine. Focus Sash Gastly with Sucker Punch is awesome; it's guaranteed to beat unsuspecting Abra and Pawniard, not to mention other Gastly. Overall, the team is pretty solid and definitely takes skill to use properly; and I wish you continued luck with it!

Hey nice team!

I was running a very similar team to this except with offensive Porygon instead of Gastly and I went 28-0 with it but got bored of it when I lost 3 in a row lol.

I don't have much to say because my opinions have already been said really, I just want to clarify a few things. I do like Corporal Levi's Archen Set and Bri's Larvesta set however I would like to add some reasons as to why you should use them which hasn't been mentioned. Briyella is right that bulky Larvesta is generally a better set, scarf is good too but the bulky set fits better on your team. Bulky Larvesta gives you a great switch in to fighting-types and saves the need for you to be switching Fletchling in all the time and getting it worn down because you would probably like to save Fletchling for a late game sweep. Bulky Larvesta still packs a good offensive presence but gives you a pivot which is great for offensive teams, it can live a hit from something fairly easily while U-turning out so you can bring in a strong offensive Pokemon on the field safely like Gastly or Fletchling. Levi seemed to have concerns that his Archen set may open up more problems to Pawnaird and Magnemite which is true, but with Bulky Larvesta you have a great switch in to Pawnaird and if you get the 30% burn chance from Flame Body Pawnaird will be much easier to deal with. It can also threaten Magnemite with Flare Blitz and can switch into Flash Cannon fairly easily.

I want to suggest Focus Sash Abra over Gastly because I just think it preforms that role better but I like the creativity that Gastly brings to an otherwise fairly standard team so props to you!

Thank you all for your rates I really appreciate it!

About Eviolite Larvesta it was the first thing I used, it was indeed really effective against Fighting-type Pokémon and crippling other physical attackers with Flame Body but then I tried out Choice Scarf to see how it works out and it had a lot of success because basically people don't really see it coming and they don't switch out their Pokémon, but those are just mind games that confuse players in the ladder. But after trying out Archen instead of Drilbur I found that Evio Larvesta fits better!

That's only a my little cent. And my cent are always counterfeit. I think that Roost > Overheat on Fletching. An investiment in HP and Defense, plus a priority recovering move could be useful during the match. I know, that's a amoot point but I think it's always better to switch out when a Pawniard switch in. Overheat is not 100% accuracy and Pursit's Pawniard could be crucial during game turns.

236 Atk Pawniard Pursuit vs. 156 HP / 92 Def Fletchling: 7-9 (30.4 - 39.1%) -- 17.6% chance to 3HKO

Almoust 40% is too much for a frail pokemon like Fletching. So it's better for me, switch out immediately or recover HP with Roost. Following Pursit could be less dangerous.

Really good team, IMO. I want to try it.

Yagura, this is a great team and imma let you finish but SubLo Gastly is the greatest set of ALL TIME.

Seriously though, voltturn teams have trouble with defencive teams the majority of the time, and this one isn't any different. Sash is imo a waste of a slot because gambling on there being no hazards is typically an inconsistent way to win matchups. Sub LO at the very least allows you to set up on stuff like Foongus and Spritz and smash through those walls with STAB Sludge Bombs. Besides, Sucker Punch just lets you beat Abra 1 on 1, which imo isn't much of a reason.

If you feel that Omanyte and company are larger threats to deal with, I suggest you run Sashbra instead so you have a reliable insurance policy versus win conditions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)