Resource Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: NU Edition

Thanks im aware that swellow completely outclasses pidgeot but i was gifted a 5iv one. Also o thought steel wing would be good coverage for rock and ice types that wreck him. The set you said is its standard set that's why i wanted to know if the coverage was viable (i also know SW has pretty low BP though)
I think the damage calculator is down right now (its not loading for me) but I'd guess that Pidgeot won't make a scratch on the rock types you'd intend to use steel wing on, and that you're be better off U-turning off into a counter. Ice types get hit harder by STAB return anyways.

UnicornDemon

Banned deucer.
Hi NU. Just wondering, how successful are heavy offense teams in NU compared to other types of teams such as stall, balance, or bulky offense?

Frail, hyper offense is my favorite playstyle, and I tried running a team in UU but it didn't work out to well since there are a lot of bulky Pokemon in the tier. Do you think I'd have more luck here?

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sup, mang.

At the moment, the metagame is somewhat going at a bulky offense kind of thing. However, I have some some success on the ladder with hyper offense teams, it just requires a certain delicate touch. Have fun in the world of NU :)

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Hi NU. Just wondering, how successful are heavy offense teams in NU compared to other types of teams such as stall, balance, or bulky offense?

Frail, hyper offense is my favorite playstyle, and I tried running a team in UU but it didn't work out to well since there are a lot of bulky Pokemon in the tier. Do you think I'd have more luck here?
The best way to play hyper offense at the moment is either with a spike-stacking lead such as Crustle or Omastar, or with a Weather team such as sun or rain. :]

BUT IT GETS UNAWARE AND ROOST
And taunt clearly it is amazing defensive obvi checks the likes of Nasty Plot Liepard cause it ignores boosts.
Tbh I've been trying Swoobat, and its not as terrible as the rep it has. Its got piss poor defenses and some terrible weaknesses, but it can put in a lot of work if it does get a CM under its belt, and 114 Speed is nothing to scoff at in NU.

The set below imo is the only thing it should be using. Psychic and Stored Power make for solid STAB attacks, but I prefer Psychic since you can hit stuff at the very least if you cannot get off a CM. Calm Mind is obvious. Heat Wave is actually amazing coverage, and Sub helps you avoid shit like Sucker Punch if it interferes with your sweep. Salac berry and LO can both be tried, but I found that Leftovers were more consistent on the ladder.

Swoobat @ Leftovers
Ability: Simple
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic / Stored Power
- Calm Mind
- Heat Wave
- Substitute / Roost / Taunt

Aerow

rebel
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Combusken has way better bulk thanks to being able to use Eviolite, neutral to Stealth Rock in contrast to Ninjask who is 4x weak to it and Combusken can also actually sweep on its own. Combusken is just extremely much better than Ninjask, who is fairly mediocre to be fair.

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why is combusken banned, while
ninjask isn't?
Combusken had great bulk with violate and a nice defensive typing allowing it to set up on many top threats /repeatedly/. It could use Bulk Up to become even more bulky. Ninjas can't do any of that and is Stelth Rock weak so it wasn't banned.

E: basically what Aerrow said

Does Grassy terrain erase a weather condition and vice versa? Or is it possible to have Grassy terrain on and have a sunny weather?

Is this is any way viable

Special Attacker
Omastar @ White Herb
Ability: Swift Swim
EV's: 144 HP/ 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Nature: Timid
-Shell Smash
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Ancient power

I kinda figured given the EV spread it outspeeds a ton after a Shell Smash and can do a bit of damage to anything?? Any suggestions

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Replace Ancient Power with Earth Power. Helps get around Steel-types. Be prepared for Ferroseed. I dunno.

Is this is any way viable

Special Attacker
Omastar @ White Herb
Ability: Swift Swim
EV's: 144 HP/ 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Nature: Timid
-Shell Smash
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Ancient power

I kinda figured given the EV spread it outspeeds a ton after a Shell Smash and can do a bit of damage to anything?? Any suggestions
I recommend switching Ancient power for either Earthpower or Hidden power fire, aside from that I think White herb is a pretty mediocre item, and that Life orb is better. What is the speed EVs for?

I recommend switching Ancient power for either Earthpower or Hidden power fire, aside from that I think White herb is a pretty mediocre item, and that Life orb is better. What is the speed EVs for?
I only thought of running White herb because the -1 Def and SpD drops would just make priority moves hit harder, and the speed EVs are just to guarantee outspeeding something after a shell smash, and figured 96 would do pretty decently, looking back could probably do with less.

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I only thought of running White herb because the -1 Def and SpD drops would just make priority moves hit harder, and the speed EVs are just to guarantee outspeeding something after a shell smash, and figured 96 would do pretty decently, looking back could probably do with less.
You're not passing the boosts off to anything so the defense drops are negligible really, making White Herb useless.

You're not passing the boosts off to anything so the defense drops are negligible really, making White Herb useless.
I get that, but granted there's no Def invested and the drops only make priority moves more threatening, that'd be my reasoning, and I'd imagine life orb wouldn't remedy that, but I'm willing to try it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)