NU Probopass

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
QC Checks: [ TheCanadianWifier ] [ Soulgazer ] [ Dat Blast ]
GP Checks: [ fleurdyleurse ], [ Muk ]

probopass.gif

Overview
########
Probopass is a reliable setter of Stealth Rock. Volt Switch allows Probopass to function as a good pivot, coming in, taking hits, and then Volt Switching out. Probopass also gets good abilities: Sturdy allows it to survive super effective hits from full health; Magnet Pull allows it to trap and KO other Steel-types; and Sand Force, while not as good as the previous two abilities, allows it to be decent on a sand team. Probopass has good typing matchups against Fairy- and Psychic-type Pokemon such as Slurpuff and Mesprit that lack Surf and Hidden Power Fighting; however, Probopass is weak to many common types, including Fighting, Ground, and Water. Probopass also has low Speed, meaning it is outpaced by many common offensive threats. It is also pretty weak offensively, so it must rely on support moves such as Toxic to wear opponents down and Volt Switch to pivot out into better matchups.

Offensive Pivot
########
name: Offensive Pivot
move 1: Volt Switch
move 2: Thunder Wave
move 3: Power Gem / Flash Cannon
move 4: Earth Power
ability: Magnet Pull
item: Leftovers
evs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
nature: Modest

Moves
========

Volt Switch is used to gain offensive momentum and allows Probopass to act as a pivot. Thunder Wave is used to check faster offensive threats, specifically Unburden Slurpuff, and makes them easier to revenge kill. Power Gem is a strong, reliable STAB move that hits Fire- and Flying-types for super effective damage. Flash Cannon is also a strong STAB move that is used to deal super effective damage to Fairy-types such as Slurpuff and Granbull. Earth Power is for hitting the majority of Steel-types super effectively.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack investment gives Probopass maximum power. Investing 84 EVs into Speed allows Probopass to outspeed Pokemon that have base 50 Speed, such as Hariyama and Regirock, and the rest of the EVs are put into HP for bulk. A Modest nature is used for more Special Attack, while Leftovers is used for passive recovery and to allow Probopass to bluff a support set. Magnet Pull is used to trap other Steel-types, although this is not the focus of the set.

Usage Tips
========

Probopass should be brought in as a pivot on an attacking Pokemon that has STAB types it resists or is neutral to, like a Fire- or Poison-type, and then use Volt Switch into a better matchup. Use Thunder Wave on faster offensive threats so that other teammates can outpace and easily revenge kill them. Be wary around strong attackers and of switching in repeatedly, as Probopass has no recovery outside of Leftovers and is fairly easy to wear down. If Probopass is needed to check a threatening offensive Pokemon such as Slurpuff, then keeping Probopass at high health is important.

Team Options
========

Pokemon such as Slurpuff and Granbull, especially the Belly Drum variant of the former, that benefit from having Steel-type Pokemon out of the way are good teammates for Probopass. Fast offensive Pokemon such as Kangaskhan, Sceptile, and Samurott that Probopass can pivot out into are also good teammates. Pokemon to handle Fighting- and Ground-types, such as Vileplume and Gourgeist-S, are also good teammates. Entry hazard setters such as Accelgor and Crustle are good teammates, as they limit the opponent's switching.

Stealth Rock
########
name: Stealth Rock
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Volt Switch
move 4: Toxic / Thunder Wave
ability: Sturdy
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
nature: Calm

Moves
========

Stealth Rock allows for chip damage and is good for breaking Focus Sash and limiting switches. Volt Switch is good for gaining momentum after setting up Stealth Rock and for pivoting out into better matchups. Power Gem is a good STAB move that hits hard when Probopass needs to attack. Flash Cannon is also a good STAB move that is used to hit Fairy-types such as Slurpuff. Toxic allows Probopass to rack up damage quickly on anything that tries to stay in on it. Thunder Wave cripples speedy offensive Pokemon by quartering their Speed and making them easy for Probopass's teammates to KO.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP and Special Defense investment allows Probopass to take multiple special attacks. Leftovers is used for passive recovery.

Usage Tips
========

Force out special attackers with Probopass and use Volt Switch on the switch or hit the incoming switch-in with a Toxic. Be wary of special attackers carrying Earth Power and Focus Blast. Set up Stealth Rock as soon as possible, though leading with Probopass isn't always advisable as it has a bad matchup against most Stealth Rock leads. When switching Probopass in for the first time, set up Stealth Rock on the switch and then hard switch out into an appropriate check or counter to what the opponent switches in.

Team Options
========

Spikes setters such as Accelgor and Quilladin are good to have, as entry hazard damage racks up. Probopass is also a good switch-in to cover Accelgor's and Quilladin's Fire weakness. Offensive Grass-type Pokemon, such as Sceptile and Serperior, can be good to Volt Switch out to on physical Water-type Pokemon that switch into Probopass. Spinblockers such as Gourgeist-S and Mismagius are good to ensure that Stealth Rock stays on the field. A good core in NU is Hariyama, Vileplume, and Probopass due to the synergy that they posses.

Offensive Trapper
########
name: Offensive Trapper
move 1: Earth Power
move 3: Flash Cannon
move 4: Hidden Power Fire
item: Air Balloon / Leftovers

Moves
========

Earth Power is the primary move used on this set, as it hits the majority of Steel-types quite hard. Volt Switch is used for switching out of unfavorable matchups and for using Probopass as a pivot. Flash Cannon is a powerful STAB move that allows Probopass to deal with Slurpuff. Hidden Power Fire allows Probopass to 2HKO a trapped Ferroseed.

Set Details
========

Air Balloon is used so that Pokemon that rely on Earthquake to hit Probopass, such as Steelix, cannot KO Probopass with Earthquake. Leftovers gives Probopass passive recovery and allows Probopass to bluff a support set, though Probopass must be wary of Earthquakes from the Pokemon it is trying to trap if using Leftovers. Maximum Special Attack investment allows Probopass to deal as much damage as possible, while 84 Speed allows it to outspeed base 50 Speed Pokemon such as Hariyama and Regirock. The rest of the EVs are put into HP so that Probopass has some bulk to take hits from faster Pokemon. A Modest nature is used for more Special Attack.

Usage Tips
========

Switch Probopass in on Steel-types such as Klinklang, Steelix, Ferroseed, and opposing Probopass to trap and beat them. While this variant of Probopass still has great bulk, it is worn down fairly quickly, so be wary of switching it in multiple times if you still need to trap a Steel-type. If running Leftovers, Probopass can bluff a support set and Volt Switch out, but be wary when trying to trap Steelix as it can survive an Earth Power and KO Probopass with Earthquake. Air Balloon is a dead giveaway to an offensive trapper set, so avoid leading with Probopass if you see a Steel-type in Team Preview that you want to trap.

Team Options
========

Slurpuff and Granbull, especially the Belly Drum variant of the former, benefit from having Steel-type Pokemon out of the way. Feraligatr benefits from Ferroseed, its premier counter, being trapped and taken out. As Probopass doesn't run Stealth Rock on this set, a good entry hazard setter such as Accelgor or Crustle is suggested, along with a spinblocker such as Gourgeist-S and Mismagius. Pokemon to handle Fighting- and Ground-types, such as Vileplume and Gourgeist-S, are also appreciated.

Other Options
########

Sand Force can be used on a sand-based team. A Choice Specs set is an option for more power, but Probopass appreciates the passive recovery from Leftovers and the ability to switch between moves. Magic Coat can be used on the defensive set to bounce back Spikes or Stealth Rock, but it is a bit gimmicky and requires some prediction. Taunt can be used to stop slower Pokemon from setting up, but because of Probopass's low Speed, Taunt isn't advisable. Magnet Rise is an option to stop Pokemon from hitting Probopass with Ground-type moves. Dazzling Gleam can be used on offensive variants to hit Fighting-types super effectively. Pain Split is an option to allow Probopass to regain health, albeit unreliably.

Checks & Counters
########

**Ground-types**: Ground-types such Rhydon and Seismitoad are immune to Volt Switch and can hit Probopass hard with a STAB Ground-type move.

**Hidden Power Ground**: Special attackers sometimes carry Hidden Power Ground specifically for Probopass, as Probopass is otherwise a good stop to special attackers such as Cryogonal and Vivillon.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types such as Hariyama, Gurdurr and Sawk can all OHKO Probopass. Sawk, in particular, has Mold Breaker to negate Sturdy.

**Water-types**: Water-types such as Feraligatr, Ludicolo, and Samurott can all hit Probopass hard with their super effective STAB moves.

Last edited:

Ares

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ready for QC, hope I didnt miss anything to obvious.
On offensive Probo I put the spread others said to use as I have never used it myself, if there is a better/ideal spread let me know and I will change.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I like offensive Probo significantly more than Specially Defensive. Its typing lends itself to wall very specific things, and it does that job almost identically well regardless of investment.

Offensive only needs 84 EVs to outspeed base 50s. 96 Speed last gen was to outrun Modest Torkoal, which is really irrelevant this gen now that we have SD Sandslash as an offensive spinner.

I'm also a bit confused on how to handle this because as a trapper, the only things that Probopass can really handle are Ferroseed and Bastiodon, and it needs HP Fire for the former. But I've always found offensive Probopass better played as an offensive pivot with a slow Volt Switch than a dedicated trapper, which is really what the current offensive set is. Still, Ferroseed is significant enough that I don't feel comfortable just cutting HP Fire from the moveset. I'm really tempted to ask for another set that is nearly identical to the trapper set but used solely as a pivot and not as a trapper. Hnnng.

This is what I would like:

Offensive Pivot
########

best Slurpuff answer for offensive teams bar none. Needs Thunder Wave to handle it reliably. Can still trap stuff like Steelix to take it out, but can't comfortably switch into it because Leftovers are more important than Balloon.

So again, I'm not sure how to handle this because the sets are nearly identical but are used for different purposes. We could slash Thunder Wave and HP Fire and say "HP Fire is used if you're more concerned with trapping Ferroseed, while Thunder Wave gives Probopass a way to check offensive teams more reliably." I think that might be the best option. QC thoughts?

Ares

If there is enough support for an offensive pivot set I will add one in. Also seeing as you said that it is fantastic for handling Slurpuff, wouldnt you have Flash Cannon first and possibly not even Power Gem slashed as hitting Slurpuff seems to important to me. For now I will slash T-wave with HP Fire. I think it might be a good idea though because they do play differently.

Is Pain Split good enough for an OO mention? Everyone knows how unreliable it is, but at least Probo has only base 60 HP to patch that up a little.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Mention in set details for the first set that sturdy is used to get up rocks cs random shit that could otherwise ohko you, always live a hit, etc.

looks really solid, sorry this check took so long ;-;
[QC 1/3]

Ares

Mention in set details for the first set that sturdy is used to get up rocks cs random shit that could otherwise ohko you, always live a hit, etc.

looks really solid, sorry this check took so long ;-;
[QC 1/3]
Before I implement this check thoughts on making offensive pivot it's own set?

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
I'd say go for it, it's definitely not a bad set. I'd put it before trapper [maybe?]. It's generally helpful as a defensive pivot, taking hits+forcing shit out + momentum, etc

Ares

Okay, I'll put it on when I get to a computer and tag you back so you can double check it

Edit: In the middle of adding in Offensive Pivot, took off Twave from trapper Probo, can re-add in if QC think necessary, but the whole point is to trap and kill Ferroseed so having that over Twave seems necessary to me.

Last edited:

Ares

Put in Offensive Pivot probo, took off twave from trapper probo as it need HP fire for Ferroseed.

Hollywood if there is anything you think should be changed on the offensive pivot set let me know, seeing as you were the original person to want one.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
In the Overview I wouldn't say its typing is all bad because it's pretty nice for hard-stopping Slurpuff and Mesprit w/o HP Fighting or w/e. I'd also mention it's pretty weak so it kinda relies on Volt Switch and status moves to prevent it from being completely passive.

Mention in UT of the first set that it should be wary around stronger attackers / switching in repeatedly since it's pretty easy to wear down, particularly if there's something like Slurpuff that it needs to check

The formatting for the second set is a little off. It should look like:

Stealth Rock
########

I'd remove the point in UT about leading with it too. Probopass has a pretty awful matchup against most opposing SRers since so many of them are Ground-type, and Sturdy isn't an excuse to stay in esp. for a defensive set.

Remove Ferroseed from TO because muh Fighting weakness :[ Also I'm sure you'll do this but be sure to expand on Probo + Plume + Yama in the writeup n_n

HP Ground should get its own separate mention in C&C since they function differently; Ground-types focus more on switching in and forcing it out, while Ground coverage focuses more on luring it. Also Taunt probably doesn't deserve a specific mention since only one of the sets actually run SR lol

Do and I'll stamp Montsegur

Ares

Alright, reworded its typing to say it has good matchups vs certain things but is weak to pretty common types.
Added in a line on Usage Tips about keeping it in good health
Fixed the formatting
Removed the line about leading with it, replaced it with a line about getting rocks up as soon as possible but leading vs most SR leads isnt advisable
removed ferroseed and replaced with Garbador, but then that ground weakness lol, so switched it to accelgor
Gave HP ground its own mention in C&C and removed taunt
Dat Blast

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
amcheck :)

add remove (comments)

Overview
########

Probopass not only has great looks, it but also has some good base stats to compliment its awesome mustache. (honestly this sentence is kind of fluffy but hey, awesome mustache) Probopass is a reliable setter of Stealth Rock. Volt Switch allows Probopass to function as a good pivot, coming in, (comma) and taking hits, (comma) and then Volt Switching out. Probopass also gets good abilities: Sturdy for surviving allows it to survive super effective hits from full health; in a pinch, Magnet Pull allows it to trap and kill other Steel-types; (comma to semicolon) and Sand Force, while not as good as the previous two, (comma) allows it to is still be decent on a sand team. Probopass has good typing matchups vs against Fairy- and Psychic-type Pokemon like such as Slurpuff and Mesprit without that lack Surf or Hidden Power Fighting; (comma to semicolon) however, (comma) Probopass is weak to it gets a bad match up vs many common types, like including Fighting, Ground, (comma) and Water-types. Probopass also has low Speed base speed stat is fairly small, meaning it will get is outpaced by many common offensive threats. It is also pretty weak offensively, so it must relying on support moves like such as Toxic to wear opponents down and Volt Switch to pivot out into better match ups.

Offensive Pivot
########

Moves
========

Volt Switch is used to gain offensive momentum and allows Probopass to act as a pivot. Thunder Wave is used to check faster offensive threats, specifically Unburden Slurpuff, and makes them threats easier to revenge kill. Power Gem is a strong reliable STAB move which can be used to hits Fire-types and Flying-types for super effective damage. Flash Cannon is also a strong STAB move that is used to hit deal lots of damage to Fairy-types such as Slurpuff and Granbull hard, like Slurpuff and Granbull. Earth Power is for hitting the majority of Steel-types with super effectively damage.

Set Details
========

Max Special Attack investment for gives Probopass maximum stopping power. (comma to period) Investing 84 EVs into Speed allows Probopass to outspeed (remove space) base 50 Speed Pokemon (examples?), and the rest of the EVs are is put into HP for bulk. A Modest nature is used for more Special Attack, while Leftovers is used for passive recovery and to allow Probopass to can also bluff a support set.

Usage Tips
========

Probopass should be brought in as a pivot on an attacking Pokemon that has STAB types it resists or is neutral to, like a Fire-type or a Poison-types, then it should either and then use Volt Switch on the switch or out into a better matchup match up. Use Thunder Wave on faster offensive threats so that other teammates can outpace and easily revenge kill them and easily revenge kill them. Be wary around strong attackers and of switching in repeatedly as Probopass has no recovery outside of Leftovers and it is fairly easy to wear it down. If Probopass is needed to check a threatening offensive Pokemon like such as Slurpuff, then keeping Probopass at high health is important.

Team Options
========

Pokemon like such as Slurpuff and Granbull, especially the Belly Drum variant of the former, that benefit from having Steel-type Pokemon out of the way, are good teammates for Probopass the Belly Drum variant of Slurpuff especially needs Steel-types out of the way. Fast offensive Pokemon like such as Kangaskhan, Sceptile, and Samurott that Probopass can pivot out into are also good teammates. Pokemon to handle Fighting-types and Ground-types, such as Vileplume or and Gourgeist-Small, are also good teammates. Entry hazards setters like such as Omastar and Crustle are good teammates, as they limit the opponent's switching (explain why this is a good thing for Probopass?) on the opponents team.

Stealth Rock
########
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD 252 HP, 252 SpD, 4 SpA

Moves
========

Stealth Rock allows for chip damage, it and is good for breaking Focus Sashes and limiting switches ins. Volt Switch is good for gaining momentum after setting up Stealth Rock and is good for pivoting out into better matchups (remove space). Power Gem is a good STAB move that hits hard when Probopass needs to attack. Flash Cannon is also a good STAB move that more specifically is used to hit Fairy-types like such as Slurpuff. Toxic allows for Probopass to rack up damage fast on anything that tries to stay in on it. Thunder Wave cripples speedy offensive speedy Pokemon by quartering halving their speed and making them easy to KO with other members of Probopass's team.

Set Details
========

Max HP and max Special Defense investment allows Probopass to for taking multiple special attacks. Leftovers is used for passive recovery.

Usage Tips
========

Switch in on special attackers and either force them out and Volt Switch on the switch or hit the incoming switch-in with a Toxic. Be wary of special attackers carrying Earth Power and Focus Blast. Set up Stealth Rock as soon as possible, though leading with Probopass isn't always advisable as it has a bad matchup vs agains most lead Stealth Rock leads users. When switching in for the first time set up Stealth Rock on the switch and then hard switch out into an appropriate check or counter.

Team Options
========

Spikes setters like such as Accelgor and Quilladin are good to have as entry hazards damage racks up along with Stealth Rock. (period), plus Probopass is also a good switch-in (dash) for their to cover Accelgor's and Quilladin's Fire weakness. Offensive Grass-type Pokemon, like such as Sceptile or and Serperior, can be good to Volt Switch out into on physical Water-type Pokemon trying to switch into Probopass. Spin blockers like Spinblockers such as Spiritomb or and Mismagius are good to ensure that Stealth Rock stays on the field. A good common core in NeverUsed is Hariyama, Vileplume, (comma) and Probopass.

Offensive Trapper
########

Moves
========

Earth Power is the primary move used on this set as it hits the majority of Steel-types quite hard. Volt Switch is used for switching out of unfavorable matchups and for using Probopass like as a pivot. Flash Cannon is a powerful STAB move that allows Probopass to deal with Slurpuff. Hidden Power Fire is put on this set specifically for allows Probopass to 2HKO a trapped Ferroseed as it allows Probopass to trap and 2HKO it.

Set Details
========

Air Balloon is used so that Pokemon that rely on Earthquake to hit Probopass, like such as Steelix, cannot KO Probopass with Earthquake. Leftovers gives Probopass passive recovery and allows for Probopass to bluff a support set and for passive recovery, however though Probopass must if using Leftovers needs to be wary of Earthquakes from the Pokemon it is trying to trap like Steelix KOing it with Earthquake. Max Special Attack investement allows Probopass to deal as much damage as possible, while 84 Speed allows Probopass it to outspeed base 50 Speed Pokemon, and the rest of the EVs are is put into HP so that Probopass it has some bulk to take hits from faster Pokemon. A Modest nature is used for more Special Attack.

Usage Tips
========

Switch Probopass in on Steel-types like such as Klingklang, Steelix, Ferroseed, and other Probopass's to trap and beat them take them out of commission. While thise offensive variant of Probopass still has great bulk, it is still worn down fairly quickly, so be wary of switching in multiple times if you still need to trap a Steel-type. If running Leftovers, (comma) Probopass can bluff a support set and Volt Switch out, however but be wary when trying to trap Steelix as it can survive an Earth Power and KO Probopass with an Earthquake. Air Balloon is a dead giveaway (remove space) to an offensive trapper offensive set, so avoid leading with it Probopass if you see a Steel-type that you want to trap on the other team.

Team Options
========

Slurpuff and Granbull, especially the Belly Drum variant of the former, benefit from having Steel-type Pokemon out of the way, especially the Belly Drum variant of Slurpuff. Feraligatr benefits from Ferroseed, its premier counter, being trapped and taken out, as Ferroseed is a premier counter to Feraligatr in the Never Used tier. As Probopass isn't (apostrophe) running Stealth Rock on this set, a good entry hazards setter like such as Omastar or and Crustle is suggested, (comma) along with a spinblocker (remove space) like such as Spiritomb. Pokemon to handle Fighting-types and Ground-types, (comma) such as Vileplume or and Gourgeist-Small, (comma) are also appreciated.

Other Options
########

Some other options include using Probopass's ability Sand Force can be used on a sand-based (dash) team. A Choice Specs set is an option for more power, however but Probopass appreciates the passive recovery from Leftovers and the ability to choose between moves. Magic Coat can be used on the defensive support set to throw bounce back Spikes or Stealth Rock, however but it is a bit gimmicky and requires some prediction. Taunt can be used to stop slower Pokemon from setting up or getting Stealth Rock up, however but due to Probopass's small speed stat low Speed, Taunt isn't advisable. Magnet Rise is an option to stop Pokemon from hitting Probopass with Ground-type moves. Dazzling Gleam can be used on offensive variants to hit Fighting-types for super effective damage. Pain Split is an option to allow Probopass to regain health.

Checks & Counters
########

**Ground-types**: Ground-types like such as Rhydon and Seismitoad are immune to Volt Switch and can hit Probopass hard with a STAB Ground-type move.

**Hidden Power Ground**: Special attackers like to sometimes carry Hidden Power Ground specifically for Probopass, as Probopass is a good stop to things like special attackers such as Cryogonal and Vivillon.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types like such as Hariyama, Gurdurr and Sawk all can all OHKO Probopass. (period), especially Sawk with the ability especially has Mold Breaker to negate Sturdy that negates sturdy as an ability.

**Water-types**: Water-types like such as Feraligatr, Ludicolo, and Samurott all can all threaten to hit Probopass hard with their super effective STAB moves.

Ares

Thx for the check, and sometimes a little fluff makes things more comfy :)

Implemented

Ares

Edited out Spiritomb and Omastar, RIP Omastar you were my go to for entry hazards when writing an analysis.

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hi
Overview
########
Probopass not only has great looks but also has some good base stats to compliment its awesome mustache. Probopass is a reliable setter of Stealth Rock. Volt Switch allows Probopass to function as a good pivot, coming in, taking hits, and then Volt Switching out. Probopass also gets good abilities: Sturdy allows it to survive super effective hits from full health; Magnet Pull allows it to trap and killKO other Steel-types; and Sand Force, while not as good as the previous two abilities, allows it to be decent on a sand team. Probopass has good typing matchups against Fairy- and Psychic-type Pokemon such as Slurpuff and Mesprit that lack Surf or Hidden Power Fighting; however, Probopass is weak to many common types, including Fighting, Ground, and Water. Probopass also has low Speed, meaning it is outpaced by many common offensive threats. It is also pretty weak offensively, so it must rely on support moves such as Toxic to wear opponents down and Volt Switch to pivot out into better match -ups.

Offensive Pivot
########

Moves
========

Volt Switch is used to gain offensive momentum and allows Probopass to act as a pivot. Thunder Wave is used to check faster offensive threats, specifically Unburden Slurpuff, and makes them easier to revenge kill. Power Gem is a strong reliable STAB move which hits Fire- and Flying-types for super effective damage. Flash Cannon is also a strong STAB move that is used to deal super effective damage to Fairy-types such as Slurpuff and Granbull. Earth Power is for hitting the majority of Steel-types super effectively.

Set Details
========

Max Special Attack investment gives Probopass maximum power. Investing 84 EVs into Speed allows Probopass to outspeed Pokemon that have base 50s Speed such as Hariyama and Regirock, the rest of the EVs are put into HP for bulk. A Modest nature is used for more Special Attack, while Leftovers is used for passive recovery and to allow Probopass to bluff a support set.

Usage Tips
========

Probopass should be brought in as a pivot on an attacking Pokemon that has STAB types it resists or is neutral to, like Fire- or Poison-types, and then use Volt Switch into a better matchup. Use Thunder Wave on faster offensive threats so that other teammates can outpace and easily revenge kill them. Be wary around strong attackers and of switching in repeatedly as Probopass has no recovery outside of Leftovers and is fairly easy to wear it down. If Probopass is needed to check a threatening offensive Pokemon, such as Slurpuff, then keeping Probopass at high health is important.

Team Options
========

Pokemon such as Slurpuff and Granbull, especially the Belly Drum variant of the former, that benefit from having Steel-type Pokemon out of the way, are good teammates for Probopass. Fast offensive Pokemon such as Kangaskhan, Sceptile, and Samurott that Probopass can pivot out into are also good teammates. Pokemon to handle Fighting-types and Ground-types, such as Vileplume and Gourgeist-S, are also good teammates. Entry hazards setters such as Accelgor and Crustle are good teammates, as they limit the opponent's switching.

Stealth Rock
########

Moves
========

Stealth Rock allows for chip damage and is good for breaking Focus Sashes and limiting switches. Volt Switch is good for gaining momentum after setting up Stealth Rock, and for pivoting out into better matchups. Power Gem is a good STAB move that hits hard when Probopass needs to attack. Flash Cannon is also a good STAB move that is used to hit Fairy-types such as Slurpuff. Toxic allows Probopass to rack up damage fast on anything that tries to stay in on it. Thunder Wave cripples speedy offensive Pokemon by quartering their sSpeed and making them easy to KO with other members of Probopass's team.

Set Details
========

Max HP and max Special Defense investment allows Probopass to take multiple special attacks. Leftovers is used for passive recovery.

Usage Tips
========

Switch in on special attackers and either force them out and Volt Switch on the switch or hit the incoming switch-in with a Toxic. Be wary of special attackers carrying Earth Power and Focus Blast. Set up Stealth Rock as soon as possible, though leading with Probopass isn't always advisable as it has a bad matchup against most Stealth Rock leads. When switching in for the first time set up Stealth Rock on the switch and then hard switch out into an appropriate check or counter.

Team Options
========

Spikes setters such as Accelgor and Quilladin are good to have, as entry hazards damage racks up along with Stealth Rock. Probopass is also a good switch-in to cover Accelgor's and Quilladin's Fire weakness. Offensive Grass-type Pokemon, such as Sceptile and Serperior, can be good to Volt Switch out to on physical Water-type Pokemon trying to switch into Probopass. Spinblockers such as Gourgeist-S and Mismagius are good to ensure that Stealth Rock stays on the field. A good common core in NU is Hariyama, Vileplume, and Probopass.

Offensive Trapper
########

Moves
========

Earth Power is the primary move used on this set, as it hits the majority of Steel-types quite hard. Volt Switch is used for switching out of unfavorable matchups and for using Probopass as a pivot. Flash Cannon is a powerful STAB move that allows Probopass to deal with Slurpuff. Hidden Power Fire allows Probopass to 2HKO a trapped Ferroseed.

Set Details
========

Air Balloon is used so that Pokemon that rely on Earthquake to hit Probopass, such as Steelix, cannot KO Probopass with Earthquake. Leftovers gives Probopass passive recovery and allows Probopass to bluff a support set though Probopass must if using Leftovers be weary of Earthquakes from the Pokemon it is trying to trap. Max Special Attack investement allows Probopass to deal as much damage as possible, while 84 Speed allows it to outspeed base 50 Speed Pokemon such as Hariyama and Regirock, and the rest of the EVs are put into HP so that Probopass has some bulk to take hits from faster Pokemon. A Modest nature is used for more Special Attack.

Usage Tips
========

Switch Probopass in on Steel-types such as Klingklang, Steelix, Ferroseed, and other Probopass to trap and beat them. While this variant of Probopass still has great bulk, it is worn down fairly quickly, so be wary of switching in multiple times if you still need to trap a Steel-type. If running Leftovers, Probopass can bluff a support set and Volt Switch out, but be wary when trying to trap Steelix, as it can survive an Earth Power and KO Probopass with Earthquake. Air Balloon is a dead giveaway to an offensive trapper set, so avoid leading with Probopass if you see a Steel-type that you want to trap on the other team.

Team Options
========

Slurpuff and Granbull, especially the Belly Drum variant of the former, benefit from having Steel-type Pokemon out of the way. Feraligatr benefits from Ferroseed, its premier counter, being trapped and taken out. As Probopass isn't running Stealth Rock on this set, a good entry hazards setter such as Accelgor and Crustle is suggested, along with a spinblocker such as Gourgeist-S and Mismagius. Pokemon to handle Fighting-types and Ground-types, such as Vileplume and Gourgeist-S, are also appreciated.

Other Options
########

Sand Force can be used on a sand-based team. A Choice Specs set is an option for more power, but Probopass appreciates the passive recovery from Leftovers and the ability to choose between moves. Magic Coat can be used on the defensive support set to bounce back Spikes or Stealth Rock, but it is a bit gimmicky and requires some prediction. Taunt can be used to stop slower Pokemon from setting up but dubecause tof Probopass's low Speed, Taunt isn't advisable. Magnet Rise is an option to stop Pokemon from hitting Probopass with Ground-type moves. Dazzling Gleam can be used on offensive variants to hit Fighting-types for super effective damagely. Pain Split is an option to allow Probopass to regain health.

Checks & Counters
########

**Ground-types**: Ground-types such Rhydon and Seismitoad are immune to Volt Switch and can hit hard Probopass with a STAB Ground-type move.

**Hidden Power Ground**: Special attackers sometimes carry Hidden Power Ground specifically for Probopass, as Probopass is a good stop to special attackers such as Cryogonal and Vivillon.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types such as Hariyama, Gurdurr, and Sawk can all OHKO Probopass. Sawk, especiallyin particular, has Mold Breaker to negate Sturdy.

**Water-types**: Water-types such as Feraligatr, Ludicolo, and Samurott can all threaten to hit Probopass hard with their super effective STAB moves.

gp 1/2

Last edited:

Ares

Thanks for the check lol the irony of misspelling something in a GP check xD

frenzyplant the fluff has been chopped ;-;

Implemented

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)