Xatu [QC: 2/3]

Overview
########
  • The only fully evolved Pokemon in NU with Magic Bounce which is a unique and nice ability that is a nice way to keep hazards away.
  • Great stallbreaker.
  • Wide movepool that threatens most of hazards setters which improves Xatu's capability at keeping hazards away.
  • Nice Special Attack and Speed stats.
  • Low Bulk which makes it difficult to keep up certain hazard setters like Rhydon.
  • Bad defensive typing with a lot of horrible weaknesses to moves like Knock Off, Pursuit and Volt Switch.
Utility
########
name: Utility
move 1: Thunder Wave / Toxic
move 2: U-Turn
move 3: Night Shade / Psychic
move 4: Roost
ability: Magic Bounce
item: Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
nature: Bold

Moves
========
  • Thunder Wave can cripple a lot of fast offensive Pokemon and that gives nice team support.
  • Toxic is also another option to do some passive damage to the opponent.
  • U-Turn can also be used when predicting a switch into a counter to keep up the momentum.
  • Night Shade is a reliable move that always does 100 HP of damage as long as the opponent isn't a Normal-type Pokemon, it can also break most of the substitutes.
  • Psychic can be used for STAB to hurt Poison- and Fighting-type Pokemon, but Night Shade is an overall better option.
  • Giga Drain has nice coverage and can be used to deal with leads like Omastar aswell as getting some of its health recovered.
  • Roost is for recovery to keep Xatu healthy to improve its longevity and make it switch in more and activate Magic Bounce.
Set Details
========
  • Maximum HP and Defense EVs and a Bold nature make back of Xatu's relatively low bulk and let it be a nice physically defensive Pokemon
  • Leftovers provides passive recovery and Rocky Helmet does damage to physical attackers which is nice especially with Xatu's high defensive bulk.
  • Since most of the hazards setters are physical attackers this physically defensive set allows it to deal with them well.
Usage Tips
========
  • Send out Xatu when facing a Pokemon that can set up hazards but can't hit hard like Ferrossed which causes the hazards to bounce back and possibly cripple the opponent's plans.
  • Xatu can also work really well as a Pokemon that wall Fighting-type Pokemon especially those that lack Knock Off thank to its x4 resistance to it.
  • Magic Bounce and U-Turn is really good as it lets it serve as a really nice pivot for wallbreakers like Magmortar and Samurott that have difficulty switching in.
Team Options
========
  • Pokemon that love hazards, especially Stealth Rock, away like Vivillon are greats teammates.
  • Ground-type Pokemon that take care of Xatu's Rock- and Electric-type weaknesses are great teammates but you should beware of Ice-type attacks.
  • Audino is also a great teammate as it can switch into Ice- and Electric-type attacks aimed into Xatu, the latter can also switch into most of Fighting-types that threatens Audino.
  • Some wallbreakers like Samurott and Magmortar are great teammates too as they can switch in safely thanks to Xatu's U-Turn.

Offensive
########
name: Offensive
move 1: Psychic / Psyshock
move 2: Heat Wave
move 3: Grass Knot / Giga Drain
move 4: Roost
ability: Magic Bounce
item: Life Orb
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========
  • Psychic is Xatu's main STAB choice that does a huge damage to anything that doesn't resist it.
  • Psyshock is another STAB option to hit Pokemon with a high Special Defense that can wall Xatu instead like specially defensive Audino.
  • Heat Wave to deal with annoying Steel-types like Ferroseed.
  • Grass Knot is used to deal with Rock-type Pokemon that may give Xatu a hard time, it also OHKOs most hazards setters like Seismitoad, Kabutops, Omastar and Rhydon.
  • Giga Drain is another option as it can also OHKO the Pokemon mentioned before and allows Xatu to heal back.
  • Roost is for recovery to keep Xatu healthy to improve its longevity and make it switch in more and activate Magic Bounce.
Set Details
========
  • Maximum Special Attack and Speed EVs let Xatu hit hard while being also fast especially with a Timid nature
  • A Life Orb boosts the damage dealt by Xatu which allows it to hit really hard.
  • Leftovers can be used to avoid the 2HKO from Ferroseed's Gyro Ball, but Life Orb is usually a better option.
  • A set with 152 HP / 180 SpA / 176 Spe EVs and a Modest nature can be used too, the spread outspeeds Adamant Sawk, gives enough SpA to OHKO Golurk with Grass Knot, and the rest goes in bulk to hit a Life Orb number.
Usage Tips
========
  • The best chance to switch in Xatu is when predicting a move a non-damaging move that can activate Magic Bounce.
  • Unlike the utility set this one is more aggressive so it's less reliable when it comes to keeping hazards away.
Team Options
========
  • Fighting-types like Sawk are great teammates as they deal with Dark-types, Ice-types and Rock-types that give Xatu a problem.
  • Ground-types are also nice teammates to have as they have an immunity to Electric-types and a are super effective against Rock-types that Xatu is weak too, but you should beware of Ice-types that may be a problem.
  • Pokemon that detest hazards and appreciate Xatu's offensive coverage are great partners too, nice examples are Pawniard and Liepard as Xatu deals with Fighting-types that threaten them like Grudurr.
Other Options
########
  • A specially defensive Utility set can also be used by moving the Def EVs to SDef and a Calm nature.
  • Reflect and Light Screen set with Light Clay.
  • Calm Mind can be used to boost Xatu's Special Attack and Special Defense and the combination with Stored Power makes Xatu a great Baton Pass receiver.
  • Feather Dance to lower the opponent's Attack.
  • Wish but Xatu already has Roost and it can't pass Wishes effectively because of its low HP stat.
  • A Trick and Choice Scarf or Choice Specs set can also be used.
  • Tailwind.
  • Foul Play to punish physical Pokemon that try to set up on it.

Checks and Counters
########

**Super effective coverage**: Dark-type Pokemon like Liepard and Pawniard are also great examples but the first fears U-Turn and the latter Heat Wave. Electric-type Pokemon can also deal with Xatu, a great example is Lanturn that doesn't get hurt by Grass Knot because of it low weight, another example is Electivire. Ice-type Pokemon like Jynx give Xatu a hard time but they get hurt by Heat Wave. Rock-types also may threaten Xatu because it switches into most of them that can use Stealth Rock and other entry hazards to bounce them back with the risk of being hit by a super effective STAB Rock-type move.

**Offensive pressure**: Because of Xatu's poor bulk offensive pressure with strong attackers makes it go down easily.

Last edited:
Just for future reference, Energy Ball does more damage than Grass Knot to all the common Water/Ground/Rock types in NU, including Seismitoad, Barbaracle, and Carracosta.

Just for future reference, Energy Ball does more damage than Grass Knot to all the common Water/Ground/Rock types in NU, including Seismitoad, Barbaracle, and Carracosta.
Except that Xatu doesn't get it. It does get Giga Drain and I've been planning to list it in OO. Anyways, I'll do the rest of the analyse today.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
You can mention in the Overview that Xatu's movepool allows it to threaten the majority of hazard setters in the tier, which allows it to more effectively keep hazards at bay.

Grass Knot's main use would be to take out Stealth Rockers like Seismitoad, Omastar, and Rhydon among other things, and is useful for physically bulky Rock-types that can tank Psyshock and Heat Wave. Heat Wave also takes out Steelix, another common SR user, as well as thrashing Sticky Web users.

It would be important to note the targets Psychic / Psyshock hits that the other can't.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
I'm pretty sure there's a super common spread for the offensive set which isn't just 252/252, idk it off the top of my head though.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
That spread was 152 HP / 180 SpA / 176 Spe @ Modest, with the speed being enough for Adamant Sawk. I don't remember what the SpA EVs did though.

So yeah, I found that the spread is the most common too one as, like you said, it outspeeds Adamant Sawk but I won't be adding it until someone tells me what are the HP EVs for.

Another good set that prolly ya forget can be the double screener:

Xatu @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe ot 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe or 252 HP / 136 Def / 128 SpD
Bold / Calm Nature
IVs Atk : 0
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Roost
- Heat Wawe / Psychic / Night Shade

This set is very helpful to get easily mon's statup. Double Screen + Light Clay to improve own team defences. Heat wawe is for ferroseed, psychic for fight types and night shade for a generic 100 HP damage.
It's very good with vivillon (specially if xatu switches when the op is setting) that can use quiver dance + 3 attacks instead of the common sleep powder.

I did mention double screens Xatu in OO, but if a QC thinks it'd be better to add it as a set then I'd do so.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
mmk, mention Spiritomb specifically in CC cause it basically shits all over most sets, and can pursuit trap it to boot.
I would unslash modest from the first set, as the speed tier is really too good to pass up.
I would also unslash Heat wave from the second set, as with Night Shade + Magic Bounce ferroseed isn't causing you any problems lol
Mention audino as a teammate for the second set, as it can switch into all the Ice / Electric attacks aimed at Xatu with relative ease, and Xatu can come in on most fighting types.

Looks good otherwise, nice work

[QC 1/3]

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
honestly i'm not a big fan of offensive xatu and i think it should be listed after the defensive set. you lose the ability to switch directly into certain hazard setters such as ice beam omastar, crustle, and rhydon which is more important than being able to beat them one-on-one. it also preforms worse against pokemon such as probopass, mesprit, and uxie. the pokemon that you're trying to ohko with the offensive set (ferroseed, seismitoad, rhydon) don't beat the defensive set either. there will be cases where the offensive set comes in handy, but in general the defensive set makes use of magic bounce better, and that's pretty much the only reason to use xatu.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I haven't used Xatu in ages so I won't comment much on it but the spread used to be to outspeed Adamant Sawk, OHKO Golurk, and hit a LO number. I'd say that max/max would be better rn if it were getting a set just to get the jump on base 90s and Jolly Sawk. Also you might want to add CM into OO

Fully physically defensive xatu with calm mind and psyshock is a great stall breaker. Put that in OO since stall can't really handle its bulk. Psyshock is for cryogonal coming in and trying to haze, offensive cryogonal with frost breath are only real threats to this on stall

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview
  • I'd expand more on its bulk which makes it difficult to keep up certain hazard setters like Rhydon and also mention it has a lot of bad weaknesses, such as to Knock Off, Pursuit, Volt Switch, etc
Utility
  • Give a mention to Giga Drain in Moves, the coverage + recovery is nice for Rhydon and lead Omastar.
  • In SD mention the phys def helps it take on hazard stackers which are usually physical attackers.
  • In UT explain how good MB + U-turn is, it lets it serve as a really nice pivot for wallbreakers like Magmortar and Samurott that have difficulty switching in. I'd also reflect that on TO and add wallbreakers there too.
Offensive
  • I don't like U-turn on this set. GK's coverage against SRers is even more important now given this set's lack of bulk so it really needs to OHKO hazard setters straightaway. I'd remove it if no one disagrees.
  • Put Dazzling Gleam in Moves for Spiritomb.
  • Give a mention to scorp's bulky spread in SD. Also Lefties for avoiding the 2HKO from Ferro's Gyro Ball
  • Update UT based on removal of U-turn. You need to expand a lot on this: explain Xatu's playstyle as opposed to the defensive set, it has a much more aggressive playstyle but is less reliable at preventing hazards.
  • TO should cover more stuff that not only dislike hazards (which you have none of atm) but Pokemon that appreciate offensive Xatu's coverage. Stuff like Spiritomb and Liepard which detest Spikes and love Xatu's ability to beat up on bulky Poisons and Gurdurr.
Other Options
  • Remove Giga from here as it's already mentioned in Moves for Utility.
  • Don't mention Lagging Tail. Replace it with Choice items.
Checks and Counters
  • You can just merge Dark + Ice + Electric into one thing labeled "Super Effective Coverage" or smthn. There's no point in giving them all separate mentions.
  • Add a section for offensive pressure too, Xatu's frail so it's not hard to pressure it with strong attackers

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Added, idk what you mean with "ive a mention to scorp's bulky spread in SD" though.
152 HP / 180 SpA / 176 Spe Modest in SD for Offensive. The spread outspeeds Adamant Sawk, gives enough SpA to OHKO Golurk with Grass Knot, and the rest goes in bulk to hit an LO number.

QC 2/3

losing Spiritomb was pretty big for Xatu. So Yagura when this is updated for the post-Tomb meta I'll take a look at it and give it a third stamp

losing Spiritomb was pretty big for Xatu. So Yagura when this is updated for the post-Tomb meta I'll take a look at it and give it a third stamp
Okay removed mentions of Spiritomb but I think I should mention in the overview that Xatu (especially the offensive set) is a lot better now with Spiritomb gone, what do you think?

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mentioning that it is better post Spiritomb will be irrelevant in a month or two too people who have never played in the Spiritomb meta. What you can do is give the offensive version a stronger mention if you want to.

Some things I think should be added: CM + Stored Power make Xatu a great BP recipient mention it in oo. Your C&C seems a bit small now, expand it out a bit. One thing I would mention in it is that Adamant max attack crustle has a chance to OHKO Xatu on the switch in when it tries to prevent hazards.

Added, but I calced and found that Adamant max Attack Crustle can't OHKO the utility set:

252+ Atk Crustle Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Xatu: 260-308 (77.8 - 92.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

but I gave mentions to Rock-types w/ Stealth Rock and how they can threaten Xatu in C&C. Anyways I think the offensive set should be mentioned before the utility set with Spiritomb gone, what do you think?

P.S.: I gave mention to Kabutops now that it's NU in the list of Pokémon that get OHKOed by Giga Drain / Grass Knot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)