The Legend of Korra (Spoilers ITT)

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Okay yeah wow that was intense. I usually wait to watch because my site has it in good quality but a day after, but everyone was talking about it and I didn't want to be spoiled so I just went ahead and watched it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Mako was being an absolute idiot jumping into there. The lightning bending really surprised me so it was cool. Did he kill Ming Hua? I know in real life getting shocked for that long would probably kill a person, but in the Avatar world physics aren't quite the same with a lot of this stuff.

I guess it would make sense if she died, as P'Li died and Ghazan killed himself (hey, I finally know all their names!). I think him killing himself was kinda dumb because I still think he could've escaped. Aside from that though, I think each villain's defeat was perfect, instead of just generic "now we are finally stronger than you" they actually were each defeated by the logical counter to their special powers. I was actually thinking Ghazan would die by accidentally falling into his own lava, but I guess a guy being burned to death and melting would be way too disturbing, even for this show (although I guess they didn't have to show it and could just imply it like with P'Li).

I know killing people in cold blood is not really done in Avatar but I'm surprised Zaheer was just thrown back in prison instead of executed. He definitely needs to come back in season 4 (maybe he'll finally be redeemed?) even if they just visit him in prison like with Ozai in the comics. The first two villains were killed and all of Zaheer's team was killed, so for him to be still alive he should have a role in season 4. I hope for season 4 they ditch making a new villain that they have to fight and just make solving these social/political problems the source of conflict.

Lastly, did anyone else think it was kind of weird for Zaheer to get all mad at the end? The first time they failed he just kinda accepted it and decided to leave, and now while he's allegedly left all worldly attachments he can still get upset about something.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Bolin being a lavabender instead of a metalbender was cool. I thought he was going to eventually metalbend but betraying our expectations yet again was nice. I thought lavabending was one of those special powers like combustion, you can't really learn it, you have to be born with it. But I guess if that's the case, he was born with it but just never knew it o_o
I guess you could look into his dedication to the plan above all else and subsequent rage as proof that he hadn't completely "entered the void", hence being vulnerable to the wind tornado thing. Anyways, I'm interested in what happens to him in Book 4. Unless he lost his flying powers when he went berserk he's still one of the most dangerous men alive... either way, he now holds a special place for being the first Korra villain to survive a season.

Also I really liked the way they made Korra's fights seem viable, specifically fighting Zaheer chained up and the whole "you can't beat me and the poison" bit (lets be real, floating magic man or not he'd have been dead a long time ago).

Also, is this the first time anyone else has heard "WHEN I GET OUT OF HERE I AM GOING TO KILL EVERY LAST ONE OF YOU" on a "Kids show"? Especially from the protagonist.

So I'm curious did korra ever restore that tie she had with the previous avatars or is that gone for good? I haven't watched this season but I am wondering what is the sub technique for air bending? Some people said it was the ability of flight but some people are saying it is the astral projection. Is astral projection something only air benders can do?

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
~Eon~ You should watch the season and you'd find out! but if you really want to know

No, Korra did not regain her ties with past avatars. Astral (Spirit) projection was used by Jinora, and Zaheer (the main villain of the season) was able to attain flight.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So, a thing I've wondered about...

It's stated in TLA and Korra that killing the avatar in the avatar state ends the avatar cycle.

But how could anyone possibly know that? It obviously hasn't been done before because there are still avatars. Where does that information come from?
Wan must have known since he was able to actually talk to Raava, and must have just passed down the information to the next Avatar, who passed it down to the next, and so on, until Roku told Aang. At some point it became common knowledge.

Remember when aang went into the avatar state for the first time and the monks all knew by looking at the statues? There must have been people from the spirit world that passed the knowledge down to the next monks or maybe wan told everyone

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yes, because the spirits becoming one with republic city which is Korra's proxy for "state of the world" is totally a giant middle-finger because everyone hates spirits. Oh wait no, actually it was symbolically representing the change that the world went through after harmonic convergence.
Well you've come a long way from asking my opinion and then mostly agreeing with it earlier this season.

"A Breath of the Fresh Air" is the worst episode of Korra by far. Oh some ATLA episodes were worse (apparently I'm the one with for nostalgia goggles for ATLA right). By the time they were making season 3 fan judgement had come in from Air and except from you and me it was not good. Peopled hated Republic City. So what is the first thing they do in Change? An unnassailable nuisance is knocking down houses and rather than finding any kind of solution they kick Korra out and everyone is just like "yeah, whatever, not our problem anyway". Like what did they need Milo to jump out and yell "Fuck you Republic City nobody likes you!" for you to get that? It was the first big sign of what was to come from this season.

Dealing with the change of the nature of certain relationships (Lin and Su Yin, Korra and Mako, Tenzin and Bumi, Tenzin and Jinora).
Well let's just call Spirits Change then, since that's where the only real character development in this series has happened. I already explained why Lin and Su Yin fell flat. Korra and Mako? That lightning theory is one hell of a stretch. People are so confused as to how almost every character can be simultaneously underplayed that now they have to come up with headcanons for it. Korra and Mako made up in season 2. Just as in The Spirit of Competition, the important takeaway is the enduring friendships of these characters through hardship... in season 2. So in season 3 he's a little awkward sometimes and then hugs it out? That's the whole of his development? Wait wasn't he a firefighter or something? No, a doctor. Private detective? Yeah that feels closer. It's in the back of my brain but it just feels so long ago now.

What Tenzin and Bumi? Are you referring to "Original Airbenders", an episode where nothing would have been resolved had it not been for a convenient group of kidnappers to rally around? I thought Jinora's development in that episode, and in the series in general, was better but to say that the trifling amount of existing development constitutes Change when development should exist in every season is absurd.

Dealing with the large scale changes of the fall of the Earth Kingdom Monarchy (yo ba sing se literally went into RIOTS, and are STILL struggling according to the finale).
Hey, they kind of had a revolution before. In Fire remember? Yet after a century they still had a monarchy. They still had walls and class lines and crippling poverty. They still had a clandestine thought police. Their isn't even much technology or spirits. "Hey you know what people liked? City of Walls and Secrets. Yeah let's just do that again." That's not taking an old setting and juxtaposing it with a new age. That's just the old setting. A total rehash.

And as for this stuff about "Pandering" can we just be forthright and say that if they reuse any setting then they are clearly pandering? Obviously book 2 finale was just a rehash of the crystals in the Omashu episode in season 1 of AtLA. Like are you kidding me with this bullshit? Jebus nails it, there were conscious parallels being drawn but not because of nostalgia, but to show that this is a world far different with stakes far different than anything in AtLA. Like this is a sequel series, what were they supposed to do, ignore the old show? Those two gifs of them leaving the northern air temple is a perfect example of what they were doing. Or how similar Jinora looks to her grandpappy, showing that his legacy lives on. It's not rehashing the glory days to pander and cash in on free sequel money when they're literally just expanding on the world they're already in. To even suggest that this season was based mostly on pandering is just utterly baffling to me in how you could've missed the point so hard.
I'm not accusing them of resting on their laurels and cashing in an easy season. I am accusing them of getting the fan response from Air, which was mostly negative, and then losing their confidence and retreating into what they know how to do. Jebus compared this to Beginnings, but it's NOTHING like Beginnings. Beginnings was entirely new settings, art style, tone, rules, if it had any problems it was almost too fantastic. Hell, at least Zaofu was new ideas. And people liked Zaofu right? Why not more Zaofu and less conspicuously American southwestern town from ATLA. Cause we really benefited from seeing what they were up to.

I'll give you the air temple scene, that's a good one. It's one I didn't complain about, and it's telling that everyone has to fall back on it. But what the fuck do the crystal caves and the cylinder rocks in Venom of the Red Lotus add to the narrative? It's not juxtaposition, they aren't even the same locations. The crystal caves in Crossroads were under the Earth King's Palace, and the cylinder rocks were on the western front of the continent, not the northern. It's a trick. Some people might not have noticed that the settings were ripped, but their brains did.

You want to talk parallels? Light in the Dark drew parallels with Sozen's Comet too. Parallels to abstract philosophical concepts that relied on seasons worth of character development arcs in both shows. And it was subtle enough that it had to be explained in this thread. You really want to talk about ripped environments like they are anything on that level?

It's also great that you complain about pandering back to the old series, cuz I'd figured you'd be really excited about that considering you have some of the biggest nostalgia goggles here about the old series. Water, Earth and Fire were great fun and were really entertaining, but they were no where even close to anywhere as good as Air, and Spirits was just fucking amazing despite starting off sluggishly. And with this season of Korra they finally hit the home run on being entertaining and fun while also still being richer and deeper than AtLA, making this imo by far the best season of them all.
You do me a massive disservice here. Nobody in this thread has defended Air and Spirits as much as I have. And time and time again I have brought up the fact that I saw ATLA only a year before Korra aired, and that Korra as an avatar I like far more than Aang. It gives a different perspective. For instance, Water is kind of shit. It has its redeeming factors no doubt, and there is no episode in Change that is as good as The Storm. And Fire felt a bit regressive in its plot structure but it was the season where all the characters were developed to the point that made ATLA one of my all time favorite shows. But Earth? Once you get to the Blind Bandit, it's just an explosive rush to the finale, one of the most perfect episodes of television. Earth is one of the best single seasons of television out there; and maybe so is Spirit. They both have different qualities that make them great. It's worth thinking about.

Last edited:

breh

強いだね
To shift the topic a bit, a few questions / thoughts:

Was I the only one who thought the Bolin sock thing was really kinda... off in terms of the tone? Two of his friends and the love of his life just died; fuck, even if they wanted to kill you that doesn't mean you should humiliate the defenseless guy anymore...

Was anybody else reminded of Aang / Katara with Zaheer / P'li with respect to worldly desires?

Also, the whole "poison" thing: how did they know that this specific poison would bring people into the avatar state? It's pretty clear that the Fire Nation didn't know this since they never tried to kill Aang (only imprison him) so unless Aang was poisoned some time in his life, how would they have known?

Avatar is very bad with metal in general. There was the whole "metalbenders are electrocuted by robots" thing in season 1 (their suits should act as fantastic grounds) as well as the whole platinum thing (which can't be bent because it's supposedly ~pure~... but why couldn't you do that with iron? do metalbenders only have the ability to bend metal that has some sort of ionic bond? can they bend alloys?); the poison adds to this in a frustrating manner (ok, they can't bend platinum but they can bend (what looks to be) mercury????). What the fuck are the rules to metalbending? Is it just a plot device?

Last and most serious question:

Where did the extra clothes for Ming Hua's fake airbenders come from? They had their clothes in the caves so unless Tenzin had some sort of clothes stockpile where did they get them?

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Not to mention that the poison ended up being just a really fucking bad plan.

And why not release the airbenders in the first place? Why go back on the deal like that? There is no explanation, and it only causes them more trouble.

Why kill the truth teller? He had put them in a very advantageous position if it weren't for the Earth Queen's interference, which then just put them in a different advantageous position. Who kills their minions for almost no reason? Even the Fire Lord wasn't like that. Even Unalaq wasn't like that.

Want change and to get rid of world governance? Why not take the opportunity to kill Zuko and Tonraq at the ice prison?

I like Zaheer and his group, they are the biggest upside of the season and they bring more good than bad, but there is a lot of stupidity surrounding them regardless.

Last edited:

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Where did the extra clothes for Ming Hua's fake airbenders come from? They had their clothes in the caves so unless Tenzin had some sort of clothes stockpile where did they get them?
I'd imagine that each airbender had at least two or three pairs of clothing.

Was I the only one who thought the Bolin sock thing was really kinda... off in terms of the tone? Two of his friends and the love of his life just died; fuck, even if they wanted to kill you that doesn't mean you should humiliate the defenseless guy anymore...
Eh, normally, but for the twistedness that was Zaheer I wouldn't exactly be mad at Bolin. If korra'd been even remotely healthy at the time I can guarantee you that he would have joined the rest of his friends very quickly.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
just saying if flight is becoming weightless then he shouldn't have been able to carry Korra in the tornado. You could see that any amount of weight (ice) would make him fall to the ground.

just saying if flight is becoming weightless then he shouldn't have been able to carry Korra in the tornado. You could see that any amount of weight (ice) would make him fall to the ground.
Maybe it was a metaphor and flying was just bending the air around him to cause him to float? idk

i mean if you really want to argue about the finer details then you could easily say that nobody should be able to bend pure mercury if earthbending is about bending the earth inside unrefined metals

and in contrast if you're able to bend mercury, korra should have been able to metalbend her platinum chains

but this is a show where people can shoot fire out of their hands and move rocks with their mind so i'm not going to look too deeply into it

breh

強いだね
I'm pretty sure it was that the ice was disabling him, not causing him to fall through its weight.

And yeah I know avatar physics are weird but it just bugs me in particular that they resort to using real-world shit in a way that's not really.... sensible. Like fuck firebending apparently packs force to it (as you see in pro bending matches or just Mako in general) but I'm willing to accept some bullshit explanation for that; the metal-related inconsistencies bother me in a way I can't define.

I'm pretty sure it was that the ice was disabling him, not causing him to fall through its weight.

And yeah I know avatar physics are weird but it just bugs me in particular that they resort to using real-world shit in a way that's not really.... sensible. Like fuck firebending apparently packs force to it (as you see in pro bending matches or just Mako in general) but I'm willing to accept some bullshit explanation for that; the metal-related inconsistencies bother me in a way I can't define.
Was the poison confirmed in the show to be mercury? I mean when toph learned to metal bend, her cage looked like it was all metal but the small impurities were enough for her to deform it easily. The poison could have been a mix of a bunch of stuff including the part that would make her hallucinogenic and go into the avatar state.

Hulavuta

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
breh I don't think it was that the poison had the power to bring the Avatar state, it was that the poison would kill her and the Avatar state is activated unconsciously in reaction to a near-death situation.

Also you're right about the metal, it being a fantasy world is really not an excuse. It's clear that they established that metal in their world is the same as ours, so any objections about inconsistencies are valid. That being said, despite it not making sense it doesn't bother me that much.

breh I don't think it was that the poison had the power to bring the Avatar state, it was that the poison would kill her and the Avatar state is activated unconsciously in reaction to a near-death situation.

Also you're right about the metal, it being a fantasy world is really not an excuse. It's clear that they established that metal in their world is the same as ours, so any objections about inconsistencies are valid. That being said, despite it not making sense it doesn't bother me that much.
I strongly doubt that the show's audience, young kids, know the properties and source of metals, or care enough to question it

Hulavuta

I strongly doubt that the show's audience, young kids, know the properties and source of metals, or care enough to question it
Just because kids won't pick up on it doesn't make it not incorrect. As I said, it doesn't really bother me (the same way it won't bother most kids), but it is a valid plot hole regardless.

Just because kids won't pick up on it doesn't make it not incorrect. As I said, it doesn't really bother me (the same way it won't bother most kids), but it is a valid plot hole regardless.
I meant that the creators can get away with the inaccuracies because their audience won't know the difference. Sorry if my post was incomplete on its thoughts

Crux

Banned deucer.
or like, given that metalbending has only been recently discovered, the benders themselves don't understand the mechanics? in the same way that "breath" is the vague metric that controls firebending and "the moon" taught us water bending, it is probable that the mechanics are just outside of their grasp because they are using fucking magic bending powers.

Damn you guys have gotten me hooked...i had never been interested in anime before but it looked really interesting so i started from Avatar: The Last Airbender and watched like 10 episodes in one night :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)