Gen 6 Simple Questions, Simple Answers (XY Ubers Edition - read before posting a thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yes the taunt can miss, but has only like a 30% chance of missing after 1 evasion. Even if the other guy keeps spamming evasion moves, you'd have to get haxed hard to lose in that situation if you make smart choices.

Bad decision making is the reason he lost that game.
No, he made the right plays. Sash is far more common, so taunt was his best play. You have to recognize that making the best play does not always yield a perfect result. You don't lose to evasion because you make bad plays (though admittedly making poor plays can decrease your odds), but rather you lose to RNGs. I mean, by your logic if OHKO was allowed, you lose to that because you played bad. You lose to swagger because you played bad. Doesn't really add up, does it?

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Let's not derail the questions thread please.

Also Haze is a pretty nice way of beating Baton Pass teams if you're desperate since they can't really prevent you from using it. A few viable Ubers Pokemon (Darkrai, Mega Gengar, Zekrom, Quagsire, Weezing maybe) do get the move. Perish Song (Arceus formes, Gengar) can help as well. Haze isn't that useful overall of a move though, so only use it if you're desperate.

Unfortunately Clear Smog doesn't help since it doesn't work against Substitute.

Let's not derail the questions thread please.

Also Haze is a pretty nice way of beating Baton Pass teams if you're desperate since they can't really prevent you from using it. A few viable Ubers Pokemon (Darkrai, Mega Gengar, Zekrom, Quagsire, Weezing maybe) do get the move. Perish Song (Arceus formes, Gengar) can help as well. Haze isn't that useful overall of a move though, so only use it if you're desperate.

Unfortunately Clear Smog doesn't help since it doesn't work against Substitute.
Appreciate the cleanup.

Anyway, I might try perish song Arceus. I didn't know he got it and it sounds intriguing. I'll have to remove one of its other moves and it sucks having to do so but...maybe I can work it out, or find someone else to give Defog. It's probably worth it (I haven't seen a single Mr. Mime on any of the evasion pass teams), at least until I'm done laddering for reqs.

Is there any real reason to run Ice Beam on Choiced Kyogre? I find it fairly weak and pointless most of the time especially considering a resisted full power WS in the rain is almost as strong than a SE ice beam, and Palkia would rather take Ice Beam than Thunder...basically, I almost never end up using it. Wouldn't Kyogre be better off with something like HP Grass as a lure for the rare Gastrodon?

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is there any real reason to run Ice Beam on Choiced Kyogre? I find it fairly weak and pointless most of the time especially considering a resisted full power WS in the rain is almost as strong than a SE ice beam, and Palkia would rather take Ice Beam than Thunder...basically, I almost never end up using it. Wouldn't Kyogre be better off with something like HP Grass as a lure for the rare Gastrodon?
Arceus-Grass + solid neutral coverage (good middle of the road option if your opp for example has Palkia + Ground and you aren't sure which one is coming in to take the Water move/Thunder) is a good enough reason to use it. HP Grass is even more useless than Ice Beam most of the time.

Grass types, mainly. It's also useful for hitting all sorts of stuff in sunlight incase Groudon tries to take the rain away but aside from that theres not too many uses for it. One other thing is for hitting stuff like Zekrom switch ins (Water Spout never kills, Ice Beam can after SR damage) As for the HP Grass idea, it can work but if you say HP Grass is just for the rare Gastrodon, isn't Ice Beam still better for a "situational" coverage move? Theres much more chance of the situations i described earlier happening than there are of you seeing a Gastrodon.

Arceus-Grass + solid neutral coverage (good middle of the road option if your opp for example has Palkia + Ground and you aren't sure which one is coming in to take the Water move/Thunder) is a good enough reason to use it. HP Grass is even more useless than Ice Beam most of the time.
Grass types, mainly. It's also useful for hitting all sorts of stuff in sunlight incase Groudon tries to take the rain away but aside from that theres not too many uses for it. One other thing is for hitting stuff like Zekrom switch ins (Water Spout never kills, Ice Beam can after SR damage) As for the HP Grass idea, it can work but if you say HP Grass is just for the rare Gastrodon, isn't Ice Beam still better for a "situational" coverage move? Theres much more chance of the situations i described earlier happening than there are of you seeing a Gastrodon.
The reason I'm thinking of Gastro is just because I battled a team with a Gastro and it was a huge problem, as my Kyogre and Palkia were the only thing that would bait it in but neither could do anything to it. I just figured if I'm never using Ice Beam anyway, at least I could surprise Gastro when necessary. Idk. Maybe I'll just have to hope I don't run into it much.

The reason I'm thinking of Gastro is just because I battled a team with a Gastro and it was a huge problem, as my Kyogre and Palkia were the only thing that would bait it in but neither could do anything to it. I just figured if I'm never using Ice Beam anyway, at least I could surprise Gastro when necessary. Idk. Maybe I'll just have to hope I don't run into it much.
Gastro is less common this Gen due to the large amounts of anti-stall and the general niche of Gastro itself. Ice Beam does have better coverage hitting more significant and common mons.

Gastro is better this gen,,,

if you wanna you can use HP Grass/Sleep Talk, it's a team thing. Ice Beam was mostly needed because of Latias last gen, and there are ways to take care of Arceus-Grass pretty easily.

I really like using Clear Smog since CM Arceus, you can always pair Gastro with Mega-Gengar or Gothitelle to deal with Grass Arceus.

So, something I was wondering.

Is it worth running any speed on a Timid Multiscale Lugia? If so, what are some worthwhile benchmarks? Since 92 outspends positive Base 90's, it seems like a good point, but is there anything else I should consider? I don't want to sacrifice too much bulk, but Lugia's speed seems like enough to try increasing a little to Roost stall certain faster targets, especially since Multiscale variants want to remain at full health as much as possible.

Some speed investment on Lugia is fine, for example 184 Timid outspeeds both Palkia and support Arceus crept to outspeed Palkia, while 96 speed without a speed-boosting nature will outspeed max speed base 90s like Groudon and Kyogre. 136 speed with a neutral nature outpaces 252 speed Adamant Rayquaza, which is a little extra investment that's probably more worthwhile if that's a big threat to your team. I don't know though, I don't have a lot of experience with Lugia. I will say that Dual Screens is kind of bad on it though, it doesn't have the space; Toxic / Whirlwind / Aeroblast / Roost is probably optimal.
I guess because Base 90 seems like the most crowded speed tier (maybe not the most threatening, but one of the most common among Ubers) it seemed like a good starting point. Do most Pokemon in that tier run Speed boosting natures? I can probably adjust Lugia's Speed investment based on that.

Are there any KOs that Multiscale Lugia NEEDS a boosting nature to avoid, compared to what a Timid one manages with 252 HP/120 Def/136 Speed for neutral Base 95's?

So I'm new to Ubers and I'm trying to find offensives partners or ones with good synergy with Blaziken for this HO team I'm building. Any suggestions (other than Mega Gengar)?

Today is my first day playing Ubers and I´m currently experimenting with Gothitelles standard Shadow Tag set (Sp. defensiv with Calm Mind, Psyshock, Rest and a filler move in the fourth slot) and use her to remove annoying stuff so that my setup sweeper (I´m currently using Arceus-Electric for that job). Any suggestion about what I could run in the fourth slot besides Taunt (I don´t really get to use that) and Trick room (the sweeping potential is potent)? I´ve been testing out Toxic for now and it does reasonably well in trapping and killing stuff CM+Psyshock has issues with (like unaware users without an immunity to toxic and without means to remove status as well as or prankster users as well as stuff that got useable physical attacks, too, and thus hit to hard while CM is unable to do a thing against it ... or somewhat weak dark types) and it does a fine job in annoying stuff that dislikes toxic.

Would something (to debuff the trapped target) like Charme (to set up somewhat harder hitting physical walls, too) be viable?

I have a question
Where can I find information on why certain Pokemon are banned to the uber tier? I know I can go onto sites like Serebii and look up their stats and movepools but I like to know all their is to know about why a certain Pokemon was banned.
And please, if possible, don't link me to voting pages, I just want to know the whereabouts of where I can find the reasons why they were banned.

Is there way to consistently watch matches from high-level players? I know there was a thread with a bunch of tourney matches from several tiers, but it was from a while ago, and I've watched them all XD

Is there way to consistently watch matches from high-level players? I know there was a thread with a bunch of tourney matches from several tiers, but it was from a while ago, and I've watched them all XD
The SPL replays thread also has lots of high-level battles, with Ubers and many other tiers included. The battles mostly reflect the early development of the metagame though and don't include many XY tiers (XY UU, RU...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)