SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

The the most intriguing mystery to me is Deoxys' and the Original Tao Trio Dragon's origins. Are they really aliens? If so, is there another planet with more Pokemon?
While I can't say for sure on the Tao Trio, it's been established that there are pokemon from space since the first generation.

Clefairy are supposed to be from the moon, and in the anime have tried to go back a few times. While this might be related to Japanese mythology regarding moon rabbits, it still means that extraterrestrial pokemon do exist (Cleffa is explicitly noted as star-shaped, albeit the puffy version like a Luma from Mario). As for Deoxys, it is a direct relation to the microbial life theorized to exist (or formerly existed) on Mars.

Fun fact: All the original moon stone evolutions have rabbit-like ears (Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Wigglytuff, and Clefable). Meaning that all of them are related to the moon rabbit myth in some way.

While I can't say for sure on the Tao Trio, it's been established that there are pokemon from space since the first generation.

Clefairy are supposed to be from the moon, and in the anime have tried to go back a few times. While this might be related to Japanese mythology regarding moon rabbits, it still means that extraterrestrial pokemon do exist (Cleffa is explicitly noted as star-shaped, albeit the puffy version like a Luma from Mario). As for Deoxys, it is a direct relation to the microbial life theorized to exist (or formerly existed) on Mars.

Fun fact: All the original moon stone evolutions have rabbit-like ears (Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Wigglytuff, and Clefable). Meaning that all of them are related to the moon rabbit myth in some way.
It's possible that Umbreon and Sylveon relate to the myth of the rabbit on the moon. Both have rabbit-like ears, (the latter is especially obvious) and have access to a moon-related move. (Moonlight and Moonblast respectively) Eevee also evolves into Umbreon during the night when the moon would usually be visible, so there's that...

It's possible that Umbreon and Sylveon relate to the myth of the rabbit on the moon. Both have rabbit-like ears, (the latter is especially obvious) and have access to a moon-related move. (Moonlight and Moonblast respectively) Eevee also evolves into Umbreon during the night when the moon would usually be visible, so there's that...
That could still be true.

However, Espeon has more in common with Nekomata (a cat yokai that has a split tail).

I was rewatching the first season of pokemon the other week and was startled with the amount of just plain animals. For example this picture, which is seen when they are aboard the sunken st. Anne

Also a mongoose created as an illusion by ghastly

There are multiple more examples of just plain old animals throughout the first season of the anime. I am asking this because I have always been under the assumption that in the world that pokemon exist in, no real world animals exist. So are these just mistakes by the creators of the show or are there intentionally supposed to be normal animals in the pokemon world?

While I can't see the images, I do know what you're talking about. There's kind of a running gag about pokemon killing Indian elephants that started with the original pokedex entries of Gastly and Raichu.

It's hard to say why early installments have these real-life animal references. Even as they tried to phase it out with new pokemon species, it still leads to a lot of fridge logic (with a mix of fridge horror). The big one is what do people (and pokemon) eat. So does every time Ash have a burger, is that tauros meat or do they have real steers? And is there a Kentucky Fried Combusken in Unova?

(BTW: this effect is called "Early Installment Weirdness" or oddities from the original or early games that got phased out or retooled as the genre grew, usually stemming from early ideas not being full tested on the general audience).

These r the pics, I hope they worked this time. Yeah, these references kinda go along with with some real world place references in the pokedex, like arcanines entry mentioning china, and mews mentioning the amazon I believe. I still believe that legit animals done exist in pokemon, which I guess means they r all vegans or they do eat pokemon!

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Was there ever an explanation of why AZ is so big? Like, he lived forever 'casue Xerneas can do that to you. But were we just like... left to assume that when you live forever you also never stop growing but that you grow 6 feet in the first 20 years of life and then 4 feet in the next 2980 years? Or is there some other reason we were actually given? Also how tall is AZ exactly?

And can we assume Lt. Surge was blessed/curse by Xerneas' powers too?

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Was there ever an explanation of why AZ is so big? Like, he lived forever 'casue Xerneas can do that to you. But were we just like... left to assume that when you live forever you also never stop growing but that you grow 6 feet in the first 20 years of life and then 4 feet in the next 2980 years? Or is there some other reason we were actually given? Also how tall is AZ exactly?
I think it is a reference to how ancient people were generally taller than people nowadays (I believe) or a reference to a titan from mythology or some sort of giant warrior. As for how he actually got so big, I'm gonna just take another step and say Xerneas not only kept him alive but kept him growing. Problem is if Xerneas had any involvement with AZ in Y version.

Yeah, how did AZ live forever in Y? Yveltal's the destruction Pokémon. Wouldn't it have killed him?

Also, when Lysandre gets beat the last time and he fires the weapon, do we escape in time? Am I cursed with immortality now without my knowledge?

A very slow growth rate is not surprising. For example, many species of reptiles never stop growing in size - however, upon reaching adulthood, it's almost unnoticeable. So it's likely that case, except almost three thousand years were enough to give a noticeable change.

Lol. How come his floette dosent keep growing then, because I would assume the same principles would apply? Anyway, I think his height is do to him being from a taller ancient human species like hulavuta said.

Yeah, how did AZ live forever in Y? Yveltal's the destruction Pokémon. Wouldn't it have killed him?

Also, when Lysandre gets beat the last time and he fires the weapon, do we escape in time? Am I cursed with immortality now without my knowledge?
Yes, you escape the weapon in time before AZ's tinkering causes it to destroy itself, though the fates of Lysandre himself and most of Team Flare are left undisclosed.

Also, I'm not so sure Xerneas/Yveltal had anything to do with the war-ending firing of the device 3000 years ago. Especially true for Yveltal considering the device was only originally supposed to bring back AZ's beloved Floette from the dead, which the death destruction bird definitely doesn't do for anything but itself.

And I suspect that AZ was always over 9 feet tall even before he became immortal. (there's an NPC in the Route 16 gate to Lumiose iirc that says he saw a giant walking by that "must have been over 9 feet tall!") It might also explain why the (now) Eternal Floette is still about the same tiny size as any other Floette.

I think it is a reference to how ancient people were generally taller than people nowadays (I believe) or a reference to a titan from mythology or some sort of giant warrior. As for how he actually got so big, I'm gonna just take another step and say Xerneas not only kept him alive but kept him growing. Problem is if Xerneas had any involvement with AZ in Y version.
Sorry, you got that one backwards.

It's generally thought that people get shorter as you go back in History, and that's mostly true. However, this has more to do with hygiene and nutrition than evolution. The Dark Ages caused widespread famine and disease, creating a much shorter population than nowadays (and it took generations to recover). However, periods of plenty like the Roman Empire at it's height had taller people, but would still be about even with us.

AZ comes from a period of war, so would probably be on the short side (possibly, depends on when the war started in his childhood and if there were decades of peace or not before it). Another factor is that anybody over seven feet tall is going to start to suffer from the square-cube law, so AZ's 9+ is going to have arthritis like you never seen. His has to have some kind of magic/magitech element to it, either from Xerneas, Yveltal, or the weapon.

A very slow growth rate is not surprising. For example, many species of reptiles never stop growing in size - however, upon reaching adulthood, it's almost unnoticeable. So it's likely that case, except almost three thousand years were enough to give a noticeable change.
Ah, so it seems AZ became a Reptile then?
It's generally thought that people get shorter as you go back in History, and that's mostly true.
Dang you beat me to saying this...

I think you may be confused and I will try to clarefiy. The "weapon" was originally a tool for giving life to the dead or inanimate (Xerneas' power) and after he brought back his friend AZ was a dick so he turned it into weapon of death and destruction (Yveltal's Power) So when Lysandre gets his hands on it a weapon and not a tool. So you did escape it cause otherwise you'd be all blown up like the weapon was after it hit itself.
Another question you could raise would be in X version how is the weapon one of destruction and death without Yveltal? (like how do you power a weapon of death with the god of life?) I think the answer is that Xerneas and Yveltal are both important plot points in the past but only one of them is around in the present version. So in both games Xerenas gave AZ eternal life and then Yveltal gave his weapon the power to destroy, or something. Then 300 years later Team flare only found one of the two on their mission.... idk.... that's what I would say.

So, there is no like, "in-game", "in script", "this is the cannon" reason that AZ is a tall guy then? It's not like something I missed? We're all confused? And what of Lt. Surge?

EDIT: so AZ is over 9 feet tall and Lt. Surge is a little over 8 feet tall by that screen capture. We know Lt. Surge if from the US and AZ seems to come from a culture similar to France. The average height of a US man is 5'-10", and the average French man is 5'-9". So to be 9'-0" tall AZ likely grew about 39" in 3000 years at a rate of 0.013 inches per year. Lt. Surge is about 27" over his expected height so we can back calculate to figure out that Lt. Surge has been a reptile for roughly 2080 years.

Last edited:
The problem with any "AZ is super old so he kept growing" theory is that humans completely stop growing once they reach maturity. At this point, gravity kicks in and we actually start shrinking at the rate of half an inch (1.27 cm) every 20 years. Hell, he must have been even taller!
Honestly, I think he is just a tall guy naturally. Some people just are. The record for tallest human ever was Robert Wadlow, at an astonishing 8 ft 11.1 in (2.72 m) when he died.
Wait, just read Bulbapedia. According to an interview with Junichi Masuda, he stated that his height is due to the ultimate weapon. Okay then.

Alright Mystery solved! And that means we know Lt. Surge has an ultimate weapon underneath the Vermillion City gym as well.
Oh god no

Why the heck is Mewtwo just sitting there in a cave in Kalos, probably hundreds of miles away from Kanto? And it JUST HAPPENS to be sitting next to its Mega Stone? I mean, I guess it's possible Mewtwo recognized it and picked it up, but aren't Mega Stones supposed to be all "mysterrrrrrious"? And wouldn't Mewtwo need a Key Stone to know it was a Mega Stone?

Oh god no

Why the heck is Mewtwo just sitting there in a cave in Kalos, probably hundreds of miles away from Kanto? And it JUST HAPPENS to be sitting next to its Mega Stone? I mean, I guess it's possible Mewtwo recognized it and picked it up, but aren't Mega Stones supposed to be all "mysterrrrrrious"? And wouldn't Mewtwo need a Key Stone to know it was a Mega Stone?
After Red and Ethan (FRLG and HGSS) failed to capture it, it realized that it needed move away, so it flew off to find a new home. It sensed something with its psychic powers drawing it to a cave in Kalos. That something was a Mewtwoite.

SnoopingGil

professional lurker
We can extend this to basically every non-native postgame legendary ever (birds in Sinnoh and Kalos, Lati@s in Johto, etc.). I think BW2 takes this to the most ridiculous extreme, though: you have all of Registeel, Regirock, Regice, Regigigas, Lati@s, Mesprit, Azelf, Uxie, Cresselia, and Heatran congregated in Unova at the same time. Did they all just sneak onboard the private jet holding the gym leaders and champions attending the PWT? (At least legendaries can't breed, or else Unova would have a much more serious invasive species problem.)

We can extend this to basically every non-native postgame legendary ever (birds in Sinnoh and Kalos, Lati@s in Johto, etc.). I think BW2 takes this to the most ridiculous extreme, though: you have all of Registeel, Regirock, Regice, Regigigas, Lati@s, Mesprit, Azelf, Uxie, Cresselia, and Heatran congregated in Unova at the same time. Did they all just sneak onboard the private jet holding the gym leaders and champions attending the PWT? (At least legendaries can't breed, or else Unova would have a much more serious invasive species problem.)
I've been of the opinion that there are more of certain species of legendaries. Not things like Zekrom or Xerneas, but more like the Regis and other lesser trios. Also, there is precedent. HeartGold and SoulSilver take place shortly before the events of Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. In HGSS, you can bring an Arceus to the Ruins of Alph, which will lead you to the Sinjoh Ruins. There, Arceus will make you a level 1 Dialga, Palkia, or Giratina (I personally got Giratina). Yet, those Pokémon are still exist in Sinnoh, but at a much higher level. This shows that there can be more than one of a legendary. (I mostly did the Mewtwo theory since Mewtwo is a unique Pokémon...baring the Mega Mewtwo Y in the anime).

I've been of the opinion that there are more of certain species of legendaries. Not things like Zekrom or Xerneas, but more like the Regis and other lesser trios. Also, there is precedent. HeartGold and SoulSilver take place shortly before the events of Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. In HGSS, you can bring an Arceus to the Ruins of Alph, which will lead you to the Sinjoh Ruins. There, Arceus will make you a level 1 Dialga, Palkia, or Giratina (I personally got Giratina). Yet, those Pokémon are still exist in Sinnoh, but at a much higher level. This shows that there can be more than one of a legendary. (I mostly did the Mewtwo theory since Mewtwo is a unique Pokémon...baring the Mega Mewtwo Y in the anime).
I think some legendaries have dex entries that imply there are multiples. The one I can think of right now is Entei which says something about how an Entei is born every time a volcano is born or something.

EDIT:
A Pokémon that races across the land. It is said that one is born every time a new volcano appears.

Speaking of the Regis... Does anyone know if there is any basis to the process of getting them? I mean what in the world does wailord and relicanth have to do them? I guess relicanth is um, ancient, that's the only relation that I can think of. And all that walking in certain patterns then useing HMs in usually unusable places. So is there actually any mythology behind that, or is game freak just completely trolling us?

(BTW: if you don't know what the process is, this is a pretty good explanation http://m.wikihow.com/Get-the-Three-Regis-in-Pokemon-Emerald )

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think with the legendary birds there are definitely multiple of them, they are just very rare. There are definitely many Heatran, especially when you consider there are both male and female Heatran, meaning there had to have been at least two. With the Latis, they obviously can travel very far distances, I'm going to say that in the games after Ruby and Sapphire it is just assumed that they were not caught. The Regis and the Lake trio I don't really understand, as I don't see why they would travel. Or even how Regigigas can travel...maybe the DPP player caught them and then thought it would be funny to drop them off there, haha.

Speaking of the Regis... Does anyone know if there is any basis to the process of getting them? I mean what in the world does wailord and relicanth have to do them? I guess relicanth is um, ancient, that's the only relation that I can think of. And all that walking in certain patterns then useing HMs in usually unusable places. So is there actually any mythology behind that, or is game freak just completely trolling us?

(BTW: if you don't know what the process is, this is a pretty good explanation http://m.wikihow.com/Get-the-Three-Regis-in-Pokemon-Emerald )
Not sure about Wailord, but looking it up some people have said you have to bring together the oldest sea Pokemon and the biggest sea Pokemon or something like that. As for walking in patterns, it seems like that's a common thing in movies and shows when exploring ancient ruins. Obviously they didn't have a password system back then, so they had a system of pressure plates or other way to let people who knew in but keep others out. It reminds me of that palace of the sun warriors in Avatar for example, where they had to do the Dragon Dance for the egg thing to appear. I think they did something similar in the Indiana Jones films but I can't really remember at the moment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 2)