Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread - Mark 3

I got sick of Bravely Default rather quickly. I didn't find the interface really intuitive, it was really slow-paced (I've also heard horrible things about the second half of the game), it was a little too frustrating and grind-happy for me and I don't even like the story all that much. The writing wasn't really charming for me, the voice acting felt a bit wooden and I can't stand Tiz and Agnes as characters. Tiz is pretty generic and Agnes is just annoying, and that really sucks since they're the two most important characters. Sorry guys, I guess Bravely Default just isn't my cup of tea. I like my RPGs to be a bit more comfortable and easy to understand.

out of curiosity, what other good RPG's have you played recently? I can't remember having as much fun with an RPG like Bravely Default since..... fuck, Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door. Am I missing some huge gems or is my taste just weird?
your not missing aanything, I only played the thousand year door like 3 years ago and its my favorite game of all time. Haven't played thaat many RPGs lately, x and y (obviously) i played paper Mario sticker star (absolutely shit) and Mario + Luigi dream team. Haven't played a final fantasy game in ages (apart from bravely default) also, who fits the white mage role the best? I have a bit of a mind blank and cant remember her name but im using the girl that isn't Agnes

Vryheid

fudge jelly
out of curiosity, what other good RPG's have you played recently? I can't remember having as much fun with an RPG like Bravely Default since..... fuck, Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door. Am I missing some huge gems or is my taste just weird?
yes, Devil Survivor Overclocked and Fire Emblem Awakening are unequivocally superior games and both on the 3DS

etrian odyssey 4 is also at least as good as bravely default but the unforgiving difficulty is a bit of an acquired taste

As someone who never played Animal Crossing before, would I enjoy the new Animal Crossing game, or would my money be better spent on Fire Emblem or Ace Attorney?

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Get Fire Emblem imo. I can't speak for Animal Crossing, but Fire Emblem tells a really good story and ins very similar to Pokemon in that you can play the game through casually OR get the pen and paper out and painstakingly craft an invincible team.

Get Fire Emblem imo. I can't speak for Animal Crossing, but Fire Emblem tells a really good story and ins very similar to Pokemon in that you can play the game through casually OR get the pen and paper out and painstakingly craft an invincible team.
I played the demo of Fire Emblem and I liked it. I also like the Perma death element which can make the game more immersive. But there is two things that makes me not want to buy FE, one is I don't want a punishingly hard games (Already got Demons' Souls and I'm scarred for life just from the first level) and two, I never played any Fire Emblem game before, so I may not enjoy/understand the story, and the lore of the game.

I kinda wish I was a Zelda fan, as I'm missing out on some immense games on the 3DS.

I played the demo of Fire Emblem and I liked it. I also like the Perma death element which can make the game more immersive. But there is two things that makes me not want to buy FE, one is I don't want a punishingly hard games (Already got Demons' Souls and I'm scarred for life just from the first level) and two, I never played any Fire Emblem game before, so I may not enjoy/understand the story, and the lore of the game.

I kinda wish I was a Zelda fan, as I'm missing out on some immense games on the 3DS.
Pretty much every single Fire Emblem title is a game on its own without any ties to any other Fire Emblem titles (with the only exceptions being Fire Emblem 5 and 6 as well as Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn). The only common plot element all those titles share (aside from their name) is the fantasy setting, and that's about it. Each game tells its own unique story which is entirely seperate from the other titles.
FE: Awakening is by far the best game to get started with the franchise, at least that's what I'v heard about it since I haven't played it myself.

Pretty much every single Fire Emblem title is a game on its own without any ties to any other Fire Emblem titles (with the only exceptions being Fire Emblem 5 and 6 as well as Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn). The only common plot element all those titles share (aside from their name) is the fantasy setting, and that's about it. Each game tells its own unique story which is entirely seperate from the other titles.
FE: Awakening is by far the best game to get started with the franchise, at least that's what I'v heard about it since I haven't played it myself.
That's good to know, thanks. What about difficulty? Is it Dark Souls difficult/punishing, or is it grind heavy?

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
That's good to know, thanks. What about difficulty? Is it Dark Souls difficult/punishing, or is it grind heavy?
There are 3 difficulties (normal, hard, lunatic, technically lunatic+, but only after you've beaten Lunatic) and 2 "modes" (classic, which is dead = dead, and casual, where characters who "die" come back after the chapter). You'll be able to find something that suits you. As for grinding, you *can* if you want everything the game offers, but to beat the story you don't need to grind very much.

There are 3 difficulties (normal, hard, lunatic, technically lunatic+, but only after you've beaten Lunatic) and 2 "modes" (classic, which is dead = dead, and casual, where characters who "die" come back after the chapter). You'll be able to find something that suits you. As for grinding, you *can* if you want everything the game offers, but to beat the story you don't need to grind very much.
Yeah, I remember being able to chose between Classic and Casual on the demo but IIRC there was no difficulties to choose from.

One last question, is this game easy to get into if you stop playing it for a while? I usually take my time to finish games and usually quit the game few times for months and then go back to the game and finish it. (Took me 2 years to finish Fallout 3)

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I remember being able to chose between Classic and Casual on the demo but IIRC there was no difficulties to choose from.

One last question, is this game easy to get into if you stop playing it for a while? I usually take my time to finish games and usually quit the game few times for months and then go back to the game and finish it. (Took me 2 years to finish Fallout 3)
Do you mean like in terms of forgetting mechanics or story? In that case it's pretty easy to get back into. The system is fairly intuitive and characters are fairly memorable.

Do you mean like in terms of forgetting mechanics or story? In that case it's pretty easy to get back into. The system is fairly intuitive and characters are fairly memorable.
In terms of mechanics and controls. There are games that if you don't play for a while, they're hard to get back into.

Fire Emblem is a turn based game. As such, there shouldn't be any difficulties with the controls since they don't require real time input.

This was definitely my favorite moment in the nintendo direct commercial.
On another note, Should I get Legend of Zelda ocarina of time 3D? I'm generally not into zelda games, but this seems like an interesting new experience to try out. The combat system seems great and the game has a lot of puzzle elements included in it. It also looks miles better than the original N64 version. That being said, I really dislike the long and lengthy dungeons from previous installments, making me skeptical of whether this is a good buy or not.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Ocarina of Time is the bar by which all later Zeldas (excluding Majora's Mask) have been judged, and consequently have failed to live up to. A combination of not understanding what made OoT work (the vastly superior dungeon designs) and trying to constantly appease OoT fans has relegated Zelda games to merely "above average" territory. Ocarina of Time is a masterpiece.

whats your guys opinions on the time mage in bravely default? Should i use it over the black mage or no? Quara is very strong but it doesn't seem to get many spells for a while afterwards

theangryscientist

angry, not mad
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
time mage is the worst magic class until it gets its 6th level spells

but then, when it does, it's possibly the best; meteor is probably the best damage spell in the game, and reraise is incredibly handy

Bought Edge today, really fun game and worth the money for 2$. I definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys simple platformers. Looks gorgeous in 3D and it has a lovely soundtrack.

Royal Flush

in brazil rain
is a Past WCoP Champion

Pretty much the best attempt so far to reinvent the Ace Attorney series, looks very promising (even more considering Shu Takumi, the original creator, is finally back).

The new Ace Attorney really makes me wonder how they're going to go about localising it, if they even decide to localise it to begin with. I mean, they're already turning Japan into America, so what will they do when the setting is unmistakably Japan?

Royal Flush

in brazil rain
is a Past WCoP Champion
The new Ace Attorney really makes me wonder how they're going to go about localising it, if they even decide to localise it to begin with. I mean, they're already turning Japan into America, so what will they do when the setting is unmistakably Japan?
They will probably keep the setting but with localized names, so yea american names in vintage japan. Not ideal but it's the best solution methinks.
Overall the localization of AA got a lot more open-minded after all those years: if you take a look at Dual Destinies, they adapted Blackquill's speech pretty well, they even kept the "dono" suffix.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Bumping this thread for two reasons: Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies is on sale for $18 in the 3DS store. Buy it now. No excuses. This game is amazing. Plus with the DLC being $5, you still are getting the game for a cheaper cost than it is at MSRP. So buy it now.

The other reason is Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney is coming out at midnight. Hype.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)