XY OU Crusade of the Cybonic Pacifist

I've been an avid fan of wifi battling ever since it started back in 4th gen, although up until now, I have mainly just been a heavily casual player. At this point, I'm feeling more than ready to dive into the competitive world of Pokemon, but so far things have been... bumpy. :p I don't do all that great as it stands, so I turn to all you smogonites to aid me in my attempt to become a competent battler. Any and all suggestions are highly welcomed! :)

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rocks
- Power Whip
- Leach Seed

Ferrothorn is more often than now, my lead Pokemon. Ideally, I start off with Thunder Wave in order to cripple whatever I get the chance to, and set up rocks from there. Despite this, Ferrothorn is still a vital defender in the team, so I do my best to preserve him at long as I can. I ended up choosing Power Whip over Gyro Ball in order to better deal with bulky water/rock/ground Pokemon, as well as since I have two Pokemon on my team that try to spread paralysis to as many Pokemon as I can.

Porygon2@Evolite
Ability: Trace
Evs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunder Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover

My teams wall, support mage, and MVP, as well as my favorite Pokemon! He tends to stick around a long time, and is only really threatened by Fighting moves, Knock off, and toxic. I almost always open with a T-Wave, and weaken my opponent with Bolt-Beam, healing when needed. He is overall not only my favorite Pokemon, but also my teams MVP more often than not.

Rotom-Wash @ Lum Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SpA / 232 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

I've always liked Rotom, just look at it's mischievous little smirk. He can take hits pretty well, and retaliate with a pretty strong Hydro Pump, or make a swift escape with Volt Switch. Will-O-Wisp gives my team burn support, with is critical, as my team doesn't like running into fighting types one bit. Pain Split adds to my longevity, and can really hurt a Pokemon switching in if I am already low on health. More often then not, I send him out after one of my starting two Pokemon is taken out.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Jolly Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon

Heatran is on my team largely to tank hits from verrious hard hitting Pokemon that my team would otherwise struggle to deal with, such at both the Mega Charizards', Talonflame, general fairy/fire moves, as well at to render a predicted earthquake null. Lava Plums is for basic STAB, Flash Cannon is also STAB, and allows me to hit fairies hard. I run Stealth Rocks in the case that Ferrothorn doesn't get the chance to set them up, or they are removed from the battlefield. Earth Power is primarily to try to catch Talonflame off guard while using Roost, and for furthermore coverage.

Azumaril @ Sitrus Berry
Huge Power
Evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 HP
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum
- Superpower

The basic offensive belly drum set running around this gen. With the support of clearing the field of any obvious counters, it makes me more likely to be able to set up a Belly Drum, and with T-wave support from Ferrothorn and Porygon2, it can actually outspeed some things without having to use priority. Play Rough for stab, and Superpower is there to help clear out steel and dark types that my team otherwise has issues with. She also is usually broght out just after one of my two first Pokemon get knocked out, in order to help finish off any Pokemon already damaged or weakened by Thunder Wave.

Landorus-T @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

I use Landorus-T primatally for the utility it adds to my team. Seeing as he is one of only two physical threats I run on my team (Azumaril being the other), I tried to cover as many bases as I could between the two. Earthquake is simple STAB, and hits really hard. Stone Edge gives me another way to deal with the ever-common Charizards', and Talonflame. Superpower is mainly just for coverage, and to hit the blobs with a little extra "omph". U-Turn lets me keep some momentum, and lets me switch out of the negative effects of Superpower.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read my post here, and I gratefully await your response.

Thanks in advance!

I have a few suggestions that might help:
Firstly, I would recommend that you change the lum berry on rotom for leftovers. Rotom doesn't really need it, and benefits much much more from leftovers recovery. I also recommend you change your evs to 252 hp / 212 Sp. Def / 44 Speed. The 44 speed evs are essential as it lets you outspeed jolly azumarill and burn it (You can also outspeed no-ivestment lando-T). I dont know why you choose some of the ev spreads you chose, so it's hard to suggest changes. Im not sure if you need those 28 evs in Sp. Atk, but if you do then take it out of Sp. Def. Also, switch out flash cannon for hidden power ice on heatran. Flash cannon isn't really useful even though it gets STAB, and hp ice hits gliscor, garchomp,dragonite, landorus, salamence etc. all of which wall your heatran right now. Also, mega-venusaur completely walls you right now. Ice beam and lava plume won't hit hard because of thick fat, and it can just eq heatran. I would suggest a strong psychic type such as mega-gardevoir or lati@s. I would recommend switching porygon or azumarill personally, but it's up to you.

Example calcs:
0 SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Thick Fat Mega Venusaur: 58-70 (15.9 - 19.2%) -- possible 6HKO - leech seed heals almost all of that and it can synthesis at any time.

252 SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Thick Fat Mega Venusaur: 114-134 (31.3 - 36.8%) -- 70.1% chance to 3HKO - synthesis heals more than lava plume max damage + the burn

0- Atk Mega Venusaur Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 248-292 (76.7 - 90.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
Hey Vis Mage, great team! I think I can offer some advice to help you out, so let's get right to work. The first thing I like to do when I see a team like yours that has no obvious faults is to start looking at threats that might give you a lot of trouble, and suggest ways to deal with them. The first one that comes to mind is mega venusaur. Mega Venusaur could give your team a really big headache, as you don't have a super-reliable way to deal with it. Heatran is the best choice you have atm, but once it's balloon pops, an earthquake from a more offensive variant would definitely spell trouble. Porygon2 could try to outstall a more defensive variant, but honestly, a subseed mega venusaur would win that fight every time, and it would be excruciating to watch. You have a lot of status floating around to inflict on it, but that actually looks like the only way you have to deal with it atm. Consider running a specs gothitelle set to deal with this threat:

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Trick/Shadow Ball/Psychic

This gothitelle set is an extremely efficient way to deal with many walls in the current OU metagame. It can trap and murder the likes of venusaur, quagsire, and rotom-w better than any other pokemon in the current meta, and can deal with several other threats as well, including fighting types you said you didn't want to run into. The only choice is really on the last move: trick is mainly for chansey/blissey, trapping them into a support move and nerfing them for the match, or nerfing an eviolite pokemon, as maybe you'll run into an opposing prygon-2... the other options are shadow ball, which can cover opposing psychics and ghosts, or psychic, which helps guarantee a kill on offensive mega venusaur, as illustrated here:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Gothitelle Psychic vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur: 332-392 (91.4 - 107.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Gothitelle Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 290-344 (79.8 - 94.7%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

As for which pokemon to switch out for gothitelle, I really couldn't say, as your team is pretty good, so I'm not sure who the underachiever in the bunch might be, so I'll leave that decision to you.

I encourage you to give this gothitelle a whirl and see what you think, it should be able to help out a great deal against the problems you mentioned and the ones I noticed myself.

I agree with most of what Panda said. Replace Lum Berry on Rotom with Leftovers and change the spread. Mega Gardevoir is a great option for you because it takes care of Mega Venu and you don't have a mega yet. On Heatran I would recommend HP Ice > rocks. A second stealth rock is not worth the coverage loss. Flash Cannon is very good to hit fairies that Heatran counters so well.

The rest of the team looks good, but I would recommend a choice scarf on Lando-T as your team lacks speed. This will give you a revenge killer with great power and decent bulk. Knock Off is an excellent attack and I would recommend it over Superpower because nothing else on your team is packing it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)