Serious Coming to terms with not seeing someone for a long time/ever

Beta.

Ruff Ruff amirite?
The thread's title is basically what I will be typing about for a bit.

How would you come over figuring out that someone you have known for either a long time, or you say would be a good friend of yours and just not being able to see them again? Or it'd be rare for you to see them again? this could be anything from death, to just leaving. The thing I care more about myself, are the ones I call close friends.

I have only had a death impact my life once, and even after over 5 years of it happening, it still mortifies me about how I would be unable to talk to them again. But even then, there would be people I call friends in either Face to face, or over the internet. I am still in highschool, so the only people to have left me there would be the ones in kindergarden Iforget about in two years. But in about two years, I may not see a lot of the people I see practically daily anymore. While some would be a benefit, some wouldn't. It would be harder to stay out of touch with internet these days, but even then, there will sometimes be those who you just never see again.

Is there anyway you yourself have overcome this?

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
regarding deaths: time

regarding friends from high school: youll most likely keep in touch with your actual friends from high school, the ones that slowly vanish to only memories were most likely not friends to begin with, just schoolmates

with the current scale of social media i don't think "losing contact" is still a thing, unless of course one of the parts wants it so.

death sucks but with time you learn to move on.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social media has definitely put extra stress on interpersonal relationships. Whereas in the past, you would simply drift away from certain people who no longer played an important role in your life, now you are artificially and superficially attached to many of those people beyond the end of the actual friendships. I don't know what it means for us long-term, but it's no stretch to say technological advances have ruined the way we interact with each other already.

If you are willing to let go of those who you identify as no longer needing to be a part of your life, than you're a better person than the vast majority.

Social media has definitely put extra stress on interpersonal relationships. Whereas in the past, you would simply drift away from certain people who no longer played an important role in your life, now you are artificially and superficially attached to many of those people beyond the end of the actual friendships. I don't know what it means for us long-term, but it's no stretch to say technological advances have ruined the way we interact with each other already.

If you are willing to let go of those who you identify as no longer needing to be a part of your life, than you're a better person than the vast majority.
i don't think social media per se has ruined human relations. it has certainly shifted the paradigm and yeah maybe it has been for the worse but maybe it's too early to judge. i don't think i'm capable of saying so, at least.

as i understand it, the WAY social media is used may be a problem. if you use it to substitute real life then yeah that's is not cool but hell who am i to judge. some people preffer it so, then be it. granted, when they are required to interact face to face it gets awkward, leading to a myriad disastrous situations (i.e.: job interview).

on the other hand it is easier now than ever to be in touch with people i care for, no matter how far they are or how busy their days are. if i want to catch up with someone i can simply send them a facebook/phone message or even an email and there we go. that isn't all that different from the letters our grandparents used to send except that it requires an internet connection (which today is almost a given) and it is much, much faster. of course, actual human contact beats that any day of the week, and that is a lesson will have to learn one way or another.

i don't think that accepting friend invites from people you don't really wish to keep contact with isn't that much different from having to converse with them at a party to maintain the status quo or something. but perhaps i'm just being nonsensical. i agree that disconnecting from them is the best thing to do. i've deleted people from social media contacts and been deleted more times than i can remember and i don't see a big difference from that and crossing names out of your phonebook.

Personally I hate even thinking about it. Mostly because I know that time will come eventually for me regarding a loved one and death, and that I will never want to say that goodbye so long as I live. Hell I can't even watch sad movies or look at sad pictures anymore just because it provokes those sad feelings I don't want to deal with. I know I'm definitely going to be a wreck when it happens, and though I'll move on, it'll just end up being a never ending pain I think, one that time probably won't dull.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)