XY NU "The NU Trick-Room of Terror"

So lately, I've been trying to search for ways to spice up playing NU, and Trick Room being a playstyle that often doesn't get much love, I figured I might as well attempt building a team around it. As for the opening summary to get a gist of the team, Uxie and Audino function as the team's TR setters and clerical partners in crime, while Mantine and Pilosine provide near-flawless switch compatibility, with one 'Mon typically being able to handle what the other partner can't. Gurdurr is there as the setup 'Mon for the team, and Gurdurr being Gurdurr, it can often singlehandedly sweep teams that were ill-prepared for everyone's favorite clown. And lastly, Octillery is there to punch holes in the opposing team, whether it be early-game or late-game. So with that said, let's get a little more in depth with the Trick-Room of terror.​
Oh and also, this is my first RMT I've ever posted, so don't crucify me too badly. xD​

Wish-Passer/TR-setter #1: Audino

Wakko (Audino) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Wish
- Toxic
- Double-Edge
Audino claimed his spot on the squad as one of the primary Trick-Room setters for the team, pairing excellently alongside Uxie with both being the team's go-to clerics. Wakko provides the Wish-support for the team, Toxic being present for the sake of residual damage when the team might need it. Its last move, Double-Edge, is on the moveset for direct damage, working well with its Regenerator abilty.
Status-Healer/TR-setter #2: Uxie

Confucius (Uxie) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- U-turn
- Heal Bell
- Psychic
Uxie functions as the second Trick-Room-er for the team, as well as means for momentum in the form of U-Turn. The two moves pair well together as you are able to take a hit relatively easily, then U-Turn out as you see fit. Heal Bell is there for Uxie to, well, remove status from any of the team members, and lastly, Psychic is chosen over Psyshock for the sake of hitting opposing Gurdurr without depending on how many Curses they might have gotten up.
Hazard-setter: Piloswine

John Cena (Piloswine) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
IVs: 0 SpA / 0 Spe
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock
JOOOOOHHHHNNNN CEEEEENNNAAAAA provides some solid offensive pressure after Trick Room is set up, having a part-time job of being able to set up Stealth Rock. Even without the invested defense stat, there's no denying its ability to take hits like an absolute champion with its whopping almost-300 defense. Earthquake and Icicle Crash are its two powerful STAB's of choice, with Ice Shard making it able to pick off enemies at low HP. The dynamic-duo synergy between JOOOOOOOOOHHHHNN CEEEEENAAA and Mantine make them able to switch into one another with relative ease, both providing offensive pressure on the things the other partner doesn't care to take on.

Hazard-Removal: Mantine

Mr. Ray (Mantine) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 3 Spe
- Scald
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Defog
Alright, so when I was making a team, I realized I needed a 'Mon that could remove hazards, and provide as a solid partner for JOOOOOOOHHHHNN CEEEEENNAA, and that's when I realized that Mantine would fit the bill perfectly. Holding a similar story to its partner in crime, Mantine's un-invested special bulk is impressive enough on its own, more than enough to tank the special hits its partner didn't enjoy taking so much, so I decided to make it a more reliable special attacker than our other water-type on the team. Scald and Air Slash are for standard STAB's holding solid burn and flinch-chances respectively, and HP Grass was plopped onto the set just for the sake of providing an answer for Seismitoad that wasn't as blatantly obvious. And last but not least, we have defog to get rid of any pesky hazards.
252+ SpA Mantine Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Seismitoad: 264-312 (63.7 - 75.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Setup-Sweeper: Gurdurr

Flex-Zone (Gurdurr) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch​

We're back to our favorite clown in NU, Gurdurr. This monster is sometimes capable of flat-out sweeping teams that come ill-prepared. Though it might be standard.jpeg, Flex-Zone fits on the team perfectly as its designated set-up sweeper with Bulk Up. After one mere turn of set-up, Flex-Zone is already at an intimidating 370 Attack, 463 Defense, and 327 Special Defense thanks to its Eviolite. Drain Punch and Knock Off provide excellent coverage, as well as giving Gurdurr side-benefits in recovery and utility respectively. Mach Punch is on the set for the same reason as JOOOOHHHHNN CEEEENNNAA's Ice Shard, letting it pick off opponents at low HP, and out-prioritize other opposing priority in those rare situations.
The Janitor: Octillery

Octodad (Octillery) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Suction Cups
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball
And here he is, the octopus of the hour for the team. Though the Life Orb could easily be switched out for an AV and still get the point across, you can't deny the sheer power that Octillery enforces once a Trick-Room is set up. You want to punch some holes into the opposing team so Gurdurr can pick off the scraps? Octodad can do that. You want to save him until late-game so he can clean up whatever's left on the opponent's side of the field. Octodad can do that too. There really isn't much escaping the clutches of its 4-move coverage, Hydro Pump existing as a powerful STAB, and in conjunction with Fire Blast, Ice Beam and Energy Ball - you hit everything in NU for at least neutral damage.
---​
So that just about does it for the team, and please let me know about any changes I should make for it! Hopefully one day, I'll be back again (once again :]) with another RMT that can be roasted as well!

Importable Can Be Found Here:​
Wakko (Audino) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Wish
- Toxic
- Double-Edge

Confucius (Uxie) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- U-turn
- Heal Bell
- Psychic

John Cena (Piloswine) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
Brave Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Stealth Rock

Mr. Ray (Mantine) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 3 Spe
- Scald
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Defog

Octodad (Octillery) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Suction Cups
Quiet Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch

-TheCritMagnet

Last edited:

Kie

big
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Awesome! I find trick room an unusual team play style more than others. This team actually looks solid. I could see Malamar as a threat once Mantine goes down as the normal set for Malamar hits your whole team super-effectively (except mantine and octillery). But nice job! :]

jeronipuff

Man made the web, you don't need a name.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Wow Crit this is really cool! I really think this is a great team and I might just use it sometime soon. I'm a big fan of yours and I'm glad to see you came over here to write this. I also found it funny that you made a Nappy reference at the end. :]

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hey TheCritMagnet

Trick Room teams are quite hard to pull off in NU, so it is nice to see people trying to get it to work, but I feel like your team is simply not good enough.

Specially Defensive Gurdurr isn't a good sweeper under Trick Room. The idea when using a Trick Room team is to abuse slow and powerful threats such as Marowak, Choice Band Pangoro, Rampardos, Life Orb Musharna (Trick Room setter), Life Orb Exeggutor (Trick Room setter), Beheeyem (Trick Room Setter, etc. There's honestly no space for weak set up sweepers such as Specially Defensive Gurdurr on these kinds of team (it should only be used on balanced teams, and even then 252 HP / 252 Atk Adamant is superior the majority of the time).

Your Trick Room setters are also sitting ducks. While they are bulky and offers Wish support / Heal Bell, they simply doesn't fit on such a playstyle as Trick Room teams should always try to be as offensive as possible due to how Trick Room works (only 3-4 turns to abuse your Trick Room abusers), meaning that games should never last too long. All Audino and Uxie do is sit there and wall stuff, but then what? You should try out more offensive Trick Room setters such as Musharna, Beheeyem, Exeggutor, and even Mesprit (Trick Room + Healing Wish).

You should also try to never go with 6 Trick Room mons: Trick Room won't always be up, and you wouldn't want your whole team to be shutdown by Stall, Taunt users, or the opponent's hard hitters that might be able to OHKO or 2HKO your whole team when nothing can outspeed it. With that in mind you should try to have atleast one or two Pokemon that work well outside of Trick Room to cover these threats (Pokemon that can break stall and outspeed Pawniard, Magmortar, and Samurott, for exemple, are a must).

Finally, I am going to suggest you to check out Battling 101 if you ever have the time as it is quite helpful for new players wanting to get into a new tier.

EDIT: I 100% agree with Can-Eh-Dian's rate as it is a good start, so I strongly suggest you to follow his rate and to try out different things over Uxie and Audino. Trick Room Healing Wish Mesprit over Uxie would work nicely, and I could see Taunt Nasty Plot Mismagius work well over Audino.

Good luck!

Last edited:

jeronipuff

Man made the web, you don't need a name.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I was obviously not being sarcastic either. I'm friends with Crit btw so please don't get mad.

Hey TheCritMagnet cool team you have here and it's cool to see other playstyles being featured in the RMT forum. However, I feel that Trick Room is a difficult playstyle to pull off in NU, due to the lack of viable offensive setters. (Trust me i've tried to make it work). However I'll try and improve your team for it to work as well as it can in the current meta. Your team in it's current state loses a lot of momentum and loses precious turns of Trick room that your team uses to function. Trick Room should usually be played as a highly offensive playstyle, designed to set up TR, get into your sweepers and do as much damage as you can as soon as possible.

The 1st change that I would reccomend is using Life Orb Pangoro over Gurdurr. Pangoro sports a massive 124 Base Attack and keeps momentum for your team and doesn't stall out Trick Room turns the way that Gurdurr does. Life Orb allows you to use Pangoro's stellar coverage to it's full potential, as well as being able to Parting Shot before Trick Room runs out. It also hits like a truck and can Parting Shot into a TR setter as it your Trick Room is about to wear out. It also 4x resists dark type moves which are the bane of most Trick Room Setters.

The 2nd change that I would reccomend is to replace Mantine. Mantine does nothing but lose you momentum and valuable Trick Room turns on your current team as it doesn't hit hard enough to justify it's place on a Trick Room team. The mon that I suggest you replace it with is Offensive TR Exeggutor. Exeggutor functions as a great sweeper under Trick Room and has the added bonus of giving you another Trick Room setter. This is crucial as most Trick Room teams should have at least 3 setters and at least 1 offensive setter.

The change that I would reccomend is to replace Piloswine for Offensive Tank Steelix. This change is more optional than the others, however I feel like Steelix offers the same role as Piloswine except that it hits harder and provides some more useful resistances than Piloswine does, as well as being slower under Trick Room.

The final changes are just set optimization. Uxie should probably be running a more Physically Defensive Spread, and Audino should be Specially Defensive. Cool Team!

upload_2014-9-1_17-27-50.png

Pangoro @ Life Orb
Ability: Scrappy
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Parting Shot
- Crunch
- Hammer Arm
- Poison Jab

upload_2014-9-1_17-32-34.png

Exeggutor @ Life Orb
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpAtk / 4 Def
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spd
- Trick Room
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]

upload_2014-9-1_17-34-52.png

Steelix @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpDef
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Crunch

upload_2014-9-1_17-37-27.png

Uxie @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- U-turn
- Heal Bell
- Psychic

upload_2014-9-1_17-39-26.png

Audino @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpDef / 4 Def
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Wish
- Toxic
- Double-Edge

Honestly there isn't much to say after my buddies / snipers Soulgazer and Can-Eh-Dian but seriously the team needs more offensive presence. Go with CanEhDian's suggestions, but your team needs to take advantage of the very precious 4 turns of Trick Room it has and hit as hard and as quickly as possible. The team is also weak to fastmons, as if you are pressured into a position where you are incapable of setting Trick Room, a lot of sweepers easily clean you.

To deal with the first issue, I would suggest running Trick Room Beheeyem over Uxie. It takes advantage of Trick Room much more efficiently and wastes no turns, while being one of the strongest pokemon under Trick Room, easily 2HKO'ing the entire metagame, especially with Analytic boosts. Beheeyem is incredibly strong and yet still has solid bulk to tank a hit and set up reliably, and overall lets you use Trick Room in a much more efficient manner.

The second thing I would suggest is All-Out Attacker Kangaskhan over Audino. Audino is a horrible Trick Room setter, as it really cannot take advantage of it itself and it has to give up its one Niche in reliable Wish Passing / Cleric in order to do it. Kangaskhan helps relieve pressure from strong sweepers and fast teams that make it difficult for you to set up, and isn't crippled by TR due to its priority.

Outside of that frens above me have said what is needed.

Beheeyem @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Quiet Nature
- Psychic
- Trick Room
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Thunderbolt

Kangaskhan @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)