Zweilous [qc 0/3]

Overview
########
  • Hits really hard thanks to Hustle.
  • Steel nerf helped it
  • Pretty bulky with Eviolite
  • Typing is good and bad, having weaknesses to common types like ice, fairy, and fighting. Yet gaining resistances to types such as fire and psychic
  • Slow
  • Limited movepool
  • Hustle's stupid accuracy
  • Fairy and fighting weakness.
Choice Band
########
name: Hustlin'
move 1: Crunch
move 2: Outrage
move 3: Superpower
move 4: Head Smash
ability: Hustle
item: Eviolite
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD (not good with ev spreads)
nature: Adamant

Moves
========
  • Outrage and Crunch are Zweilous' STAB moves.
  • Superpower is there to nail pokemon such as Bastiodon.
  • Head Smash annihilates Fairy-types on the switch, OHKOing Slurpuff and Togetic.
Set Details
========
  • Adamant nature allows Zweilous to hit like an atomic bomb.
  • Choice Band Zweilous that much needed oomph to its attacks.
  • Max HP and Attack allow Zweilous to take a hit and retaliate as hard as possible.
Usage Tips
========
  • This set is used primarily as a wallbreaker so it is best used early-game.
  • Choice Band Zweilous is a very prediction heavy pokemon so you must be cautious when using it.
Team Options
========
  • Sticky Web users such as Leavanny and Kricketune slow down the opposition allowing Zweilous to outspeed a lot more pokemon than it could have previously.
  • Entry Hazard support to rack up kos easier the best setter being Specially Defensive Garbodor.

Tank
########
name: Godzirra
move 2: Outrage / Taunt
move 4: Thunder Wave

Moves
========
  • The main selling point of using Zweilous in NU is that it has the strongest attack in the tier being Zweilous' Outrage.
  • Taunt can stop passive pokemon and setup sweepers in their tracks.
  • Crunch is another stab move that hits really hard with Hustle.
  • Superpower is used to hit Steel-Types like Probopass really hard.
  • Thunder Wave is used to slow down the opposition.
Set Details
========
  • EVs max out Zweilous' HP and firepower
  • An Adamant nature is used in order to make Zweilous hit even harder.
  • Eviolite turns Zweilous into a very bulky pokemon.

Usage Tips
========
  • Zweilous has a great ability to pivot out threats like Mesprit so bring it in on pokemon that zweilous can scare out.
  • Use Thunder Wave on the switch for pokemon such as Slurpuff.
  • Most importantly do not let Slurpuff set up on Zweilous, either weaken or eliminate it before bringing Zweilous in.

Team Options
========
  • Pokemon that like Probopass eliminated such as Slurpuff and Swellow.
  • Fire-types to take care of Steelix and Ferroseed like Pyroar.
  • Steel-types like Klinklang that can beat Fairy-types.
  • Fighting-types that like switch ins to psychic types such as Gurdurr.
  • Entry Hazard users such as Crustle and Garbodor pair well with Zweilous allowing it to increase damage output.

Other Options
########
  • Special Attacking set
  • Fire Fang
  • Taunt
  • Aqua Tail
  • Work up
  • Resttalk with Dragon Tail

Checks & Counters
########
  • **Burns**: Burns are Zweilous' worst enemy, cutting its attack in half to the point that Zweilous cannot really do anything.
  • **Fairy-Types**: Slurpuff is Zweilous' nightmare, being able to set up Belly Drums and Calm Minds all over Zweilous. Togetic can also set up Nasty Plots on it.
  • **Fighting-types**: Gurdurr can use Bulk Up and once it accumulates a couple boosts, can sponge any of Zweilous' attacks.
  • **Ice Types**: None can directly come in on Zweilous but Cryogonal and Jynx can nail Zweilous with an Ice Beam.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

I thought this was Zweilous's only set lol. It's the only one I used/faced, never really seen Eviolite before..

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I agree with adding in a Choice Band set.
Expand the overview a little bit, include its typing weakness x4 to fairy x2 to fighting, on the other hand good typing resistance fire/electric/water.
Not really sure if there is a better suited EV spread for Zweilous, will comment on this if I find one
Expand out usage tips, only have 2 right now, lets see what you can come up with :)
Under team options expand this out, include stuff like entry hazards and fighting types who like having a dark type to switch in to phsycic types (be cautious because of x4 weakness to dazzling gleam)
In C&C this seems pretty small, Fighting-types and a bunch of other stuff seems to beat Zweilous, expand this out as well

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Eviolite is definitely better. It has great bulk and unique typing that lets it wall specific stuff.

Not opposed to adding a Choice Band set, but I don't know if it's worth it or not. Might be good with Webs.

I have tried a cb set and am really split on it, on one hand it hits like a truck on the other you are total slurpuff bait especially bd variants as they can come in so easily and set up. The thing that the tank set has over this is paralyzing them on the switch. Also will probably change the ev spread to enough speed to outspeed weezing.

Ares

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So did you decide on whether or not to add in a CB set? If you are worried about Slurpuff switch-ins you could always run T-wave in your 4th slot and predict the switch-in which is what you are doing on your eviolite set. Then being locked in isnt really a problem cause you would be switching anyways.

Also other QC thoughts on adding it?

Ares

Okay so QC has decided to add band as the second set, with Head Smash as Coverage to destroy fairy-types (thx punch).
Make sure to list webs as a team option.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Giving you a head-start:
Web can be mentioned in Team Options since it is useful, as it can outrun up to -1 positive base 95s.

CB Zwei hits like a fuker and should definitely be listed as the second set. No non-Fairy-type will appreciate Zwei's 3 move coverage, and Outrage is hard enough to tank as it is. The best moveset I can think of for CB Zweilous would be Crunch / Outrage / Superpower / Head Smash. Head Smash flat out OHKOes physically defensive Togetic and Slurpuff as well as 2HKOing Avalugg without prior damage (unlike Superpower)...

252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Zweilous Head Smash vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 342-403 (111.7 - 131.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Zweilous Head Smash vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Togetic: 324-382 (103.5 - 122%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Zweilous Head Smash vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 278-328 (70.7 - 83.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

...which tbh is holy shit scary and leaves Granbull as the sole safe switch-in...oh wait.

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Zweilous Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 174-205 (45.3 - 53.3%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

With the miss chance this translates to ~38% chance of a 2HKO against its best counter after Stealth Rock.
Edit: Ranger Mike Why not emphasize the sheer insane power of CB Zweilous?
252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Zweilous Outrage vs. 184 HP / 0 Def Feraligatr: 363-427 (101.68 - 119.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Zweilous Outrage vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kangaskhan: 435-513 (123.57 - 145.73%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Zweilous Outrage vs. 156 HP / 0 Def Bouffalant: 378-445 (102.16 - 120.27%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Web can be mentioned in Team Options since it is useful, as it can outrun up to -1 positive base 95s.
Sticky Web can be mentioned in Team Options, as well as listing a max speed (Adamant) Zweilous spread.

Choice Band Zweilous should aim to outrun relevant defensive Pokemon, since its main purpose is to break things slower than it. Currently your Zweilous is outsped by things like Sandslash, Tangela, and Lanturn, which is not nice. You could either aim to speedcreep relevant defensive Pokemon in the tier (such as the aforementioned three, and things like Seismitoad and Poliwrath, etc.), or just go all out max Speed (which does outrun Qwilfish and neutral Torterra).

Just a couple of nitpicks since I don't have much time.
Steelix actually doesn't check banded Zweilous: 252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Zweilous Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 262-310 (74 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Sawk shouldn't run Sturdy, especially banded
Specially defensive Garbodor is the first pokemon you should consider when using Zweilous - should be the first mention in team options

Also I think CB should be the first set, simply by virtue of 0 SWITCHINS and the absurd power.

Ares

Choice Band
########
name: Hustlin'
move 2: Outrage
move 4: Head Smash
Punchshroom and Aladyyn is this the best EV spread for Zweilous? I feel like it should be running some speed, but since you two use it the most any spread you run would be good.
Moves
========
  • Outrage and Crunch are Zweilous' STAB moves.
  • Superpower is there to nail pokemon such as Bastiodon.
  • Head Smash annihilates Fairy-types on the switch, OHKOing Slurpuff and Togetic.
Can you split up crunch and outrage as i originally missed crunch.
Usage Tips
========
  • This set is used primarily as a wallbreaker so it is best used early-game.
  • Choice Band Zweilous is a very prediction heavy pokemon so you must be cautious when using it.
UT dont really tell me to much atm, I get that CB is used as a wallbreaker (a lot of CB pokemon are) and that it requires me to predict. But you dont tell me what I should bring it in against, when i should predict, what I should predict against. What to do in various situtations, pls fix.
Team Options
========
  • Sticky Web users such as Leavanny and Kricketune slow down the opposition allowing Zweilous to outspeed a lot more pokemon than it could have previously.
  • Entry Hazard support to rack up kos easier the best setter being Specially Defensive Garbodor.
So entry hazards help every Pokemon do its job, does it score any notable KOs? if not then I dont thin you need that in TO.
Aside from hazards this section is very barren atm, fill it out with Pokemon you would use with Zweilous.

I usually just run 252 speed, if I were to run a different amount I would probably go for maybe uninvested 75s (Garbodor)?

For hazards, SR or 1 spike layer gives Zweilous a decent chance to 2HKO Granbull and SR+Spikes score the OHKO on Gurdurr off the top of my head. Those are pretty big ones as Granbull is pretty much the best Zweilous switchin and Gurdurr is usually BO's best bet against Zweilous.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)