XY UU The New Mutants

Hey guys!

So I've put together a couple of RMTs before, but only in OU - as it happens I'm basically completely new to UU on the whole. Although I'm still learning, however, I think I've managed to put together a fairly decent team (or at least the beginnings of one). I don't really know my way around the UU ladder yet but I've broken the 1300s easily and look to keep on climbing. I must hasten to add that this is far from a team 'showcase', like many other RMTs around, but is in fact an invitation to people to advise me on how to proceed / what changes can be made. Maybe it'll even help me get better at UU!

The names of the team and pokes etc is based on Marvel's New Mutants because they're cool, and who doesn't like comics? Hope you all enjoy reading.

THE NEW MUTANTS

"Rictor is a mutant capable of generating and releasing seismic energy and tremendously powerful waves of vibrations in any nearby object, causing objects to shatter or crumble."

Rictor

Flygon @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- U-turn

I wanted to form a SFD core, as I felt it would provide me with a basic level of offensive and defensive synergy without really having to know a huge amount about the tier. Flygon seemed like a good choice for the first 1/3 of the core because it's a fantastic U-Turn pivot that would allow me to safely switch into frailer members of my team, keep initiative and just generally scout out my opponent's team and playstyle. I initially went for a scarf on Flygon, but after building the rest of my team I didn't really feel the speed was necessary, especially as Flygon's power can be somewhat lacklustre, so I switched it to band. After talks with Spook St. - a much better UU player than me - I decided to opt for EBelt to catch Forretress on the switch thinking I'm choiced. Flygon has decent enough coverage and hits hard enough with EBelt over Band imo but I'm open to suggestions. Outrage is to wallbreak and occasionally clean, EQ is for STAB goodness, Fire Punch is for Forretress pretty much and U-Turn is for momentum. Great boon to the team and frequently punches holes.

"Sally Blevins [Skids] is a mutant that has a semipermeable personal protective deflection field that provides nearly total protection from all attacks except attacks of insufficient force like gas."

Skids

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpA
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy

Florges was the next third of the core and was a no brainer, as she's able to switch in and check 'mons that threaten Flygon significantly such as opposing Flygons, Kingdras, Umbreons and, most notably imo, Hydreigons. Moonblast can do a ton of work, even without investment, and deters a good few switch-ins. WishTect is standard as can be but no less good. This team really appreciates Cleric support as well to keep up offensive pressure, so it's usually beneficial to keep Florges as healthy as possible. Aromatherapy is awesome for getting rid of unwanted burns and very occasionally bears good synergy with Crocune's Rest.

"Wolfsbane is a mutant with the ability to transform herself into a wolf at will, while retaining her human intelligence, or into a transitional form which combines human and lupine aspects."

Wolfsbane

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Crocune, Crocune, Crocune, all I need to say here is Crocune. Literally one of, if not the top threat in UU as far as I can see. This guy is pretty much my win condition 60-70% of the time and saves me so many matches it's not even funny. The other members of my team are good at wearing down and removing Crocune's checks over time. Fletchinder takes on Toxicroak with ease for example, a complete counter to Crocune who can set up on it all day. Scald is for burn hax and lolz, CM is for easy +6es, Rest is for recovery and 'fuck your status bro', and Sleep Talk is for 'yeah I'm Crocune, go and weep in a corner now'. Love this thing... always have and always will!

"Sunspot is a mutant whose cells have the ability to absorb solar energy and convert it for use as physical strength. At will, he is able to take on a superhuman 'powered up' form."

Sunspot

Fletchinder
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Roost

This guy is also strong as all hell. He has fantastic synergy with Toxicroak, being able to take ground type attacks that come his way and threaten the burn or Acrobatics, whilst 'Croak can take incoming water hits and possibly setup. He also partners up well with 'Cune, although Flygon is usually a better switch in to 'Cune's threats due to electric immunity and ability to scout and pivot out. This guy is somewhat easy to wear down, however, so I'm open to ideas about how to optimise his set / this teamslot. Acrobatics hits nice and hard with no item (and Fletch doesn't really need one tbh), Will-o is often unexpected and catches lots of switch ins for the cripple, such as Donphan, Swampy, Krook and Aggron. Taunt shuts down status, boosters, clerics etc and is also often unexpected. Roost is for obligatory recovery, and boy does it get used a lot lol... on the whole though, super scary 'mon and a great addition to the team.

"Cannonball is a mutant who uses the ability to fly at jet speeds while encased in an impenetrable force field."

Cannonball

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Volt Switch

Just your friendly neighbourhood hazard control unit. Lol j/k that's Spiderman. But seriously that's what this guy does. There isn't really a great deal to say about this set. Steel typing forms the final third of the coveted SFD core, and Forry can take most physical hits that threaten Florges. The ones he can't take are usually sponged up by 'Cune anyway, who puts massive pressure on the opposing team in like 90% of situations, so the defensive synergy is nice and often forces opponents to make risky double switches (which I out-predict of course muahaha)... Rapid Spin and Stealth Rock are your cookie-cutter hazard setter / control moves and, well, let's face it, Forry wouldn't be Forry without them. Either way, he does his job extremely well and gains the opportunity to do so many times throughout the match in most cases. Toxic is for stall shenanigans. 'Cune and Florges are both great stallmons, so this often works a treat. Volt Switch is purely for momentum. Be warned - it literally kills nothing except like, I dunno, a lvl 5 Sunkern on 5HP... but yeah, the VoltTurn core within the SFD core works really nicely, and he often lets Flygon get the jump on the other team, or lets him pivot out to a more appropriate teammate. Momentum is so important in pretty much every metagame. VS is also pretty underused on Forry so it's rarely predicted. Overall, solid defensive 'mon but open to any suggestions on set optimisation.

"Warpath is a mutant who possesses superhuman physical ability in virtually all areas."

Warpath

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

I've mentioned a decent amount about how well this guy synergises with my team, but most importantly he's my own CroCune counter. That's basically the sole reason he was put on this team in the first place, but the pseudo-priority from Sucker Punch is a really nice addition, and he's massively powerful after just a single boost. Sure, he requires good prediction to use a lot of the time, but he puts in work if you predict correctly. Gunk Shot is immensely powerful, and it's actually a pretty scarcely used move - only when I absolutely need the power. Subsequently, I really don't mind the somewhat lacking accuracy, as Poison Jab is often even more disappointing. Drain Punch is really nice recovery alongside Life Orb, and gives 'Croak far more staying power and pretty much perfect coverage with Gunk and Sucker. Sucker Punch can occasionally let me down, but more often than not it's a Godsend that prevents an array of revenge killing nasties from doing their job. Never underestimate a +2 Toxicroak...

So yeah, that's it! Thanks for reading. Sorry if any of this was boring or underexplained, it's super late and stuff, but I nevertheless had great fun writing it! :) I always love sharing my teams.

Would love love love to hear any thoughts and advice. I'm determined to get this team as lean and mean as possible and ladder into the 1500-1600 range, but I feel I need some outside expertise to do so without tearing my hair out repeatedly.

Here's to improving in UU!

Last edited:
Hi there :]

Cool use of Fletchinder, who is definitely an underrated Pokemon in the UU tier. First thing I notice about your team is your huge weakness to Electric-types, particularly Substitute Calm Mind Raikou, who can literally 6-0 your team. So with this in mind, I would suggest changing Forretress to Swampert in order to somewhat alleviate this weakness and also due to Forretress not being a very good spinner and your main win condition being 4x weak to Stealth Rock, Forretress isn't best suited for the job of removing hazards.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar / Toxic
- Earthquake
- Scald

What I do suggest however, is replacing Flygon with Crobat. Crobat gives you a much more stable switch in to threats to your team such as Shaymin and Roserade while still carrying out the task of being one of the top defoggers in the tier, an important attribute in order to help deal with Fletchinder's Stealth Rock weakness.

Crobat @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 128 HP / 200 Atk / 4 SpD / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

As for minor changes, I would running Jolly on Toxicroak in order to get the jump on Timid Togekiss and proceed to OHKO with Gunk Shot. I would also run an alternate spread on Florges of 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD Calm in order to take full advantage of Florges bulk. Finally, the star of the show, Fletchinder. Fletchy can afford to run bulk since it has access to Gale Wings Acrobatics so I think a spread of 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe Adamant would be a far more beneficial spread as it outspeeds Adamant Honchkrow and can therefore avoid Sucker Punch while giving it a bit more bulk to play around with.

Hopefully this helped and good luck with your UU endeavors :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)