XY OU Mega Gyarados - Terrakion team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so its my first post here... Im not a great player my rating is about 1600. I wanted to build a team around Terrakion and since it has so many weakness i decided to play it with mega-gyarados. So:
Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Slide
Nothing much to say. Choice Band STAB Close Combat is just ridicoulus.
Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
90% of the time i lead with this. Garchomp ussualy outspeeds so i can get a big it of after i set up rocks. The reason i'm ok with letting it faint on turn 2 is that if my opponent decides to defog my thundurus gets +2 defiant boost on a switch in. I'd like to have bisharp in that role but i need thundurus for the typing.
Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
Definetly the best choice as the mega for this team. For example i sacked terrakion to a psychic mon so many times cause gyarados at +1 just wreaks. I ran 152 speed EV's to outspeed thundurus after +1.
Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide
Excadrill is one of a few reliable ou spinners, with scarf it helps my against other drills so my rocks are always save (if opponent has defog i have thudurus). Great against faires, outspeeds and OHKOs other scarfed with that Adamant STAB EQ, outspeeds talonflame so it cant KO it with flare blitz.
Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
Just needed a Water Fairy type. Since Terrakion is holding Band i decided that Belly Drum set will be good. It natural counter ferrathorn is now uncommon (or at leest for me) due to magnezone beeing so popular. My antother answer to excadrills (i want that defiant lol), scarfers cant lock into rapid spin because of belly drum + typing.
Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Superpower
- Knock Off
Needed it for typing, better that Zapdos since my team is kinda offencive, I try to benifit from that defiant on defogers and its viable. Although i dont feel that my EVs are optimall i think about running it with more atack so i can OHKO latios with +0 Knock Off.
Thank you for reading and sorry for my English.
PS. I know i have a bad Psycical/Special spit but i dont thing i matters much in this meta

I don't really see the point in having rock slide and stone edge. I know you probably want the accuracy, but I would run either iron head/poison jab/x-scissor/zen headbutt for a little more coverage as there aren't many situations where it's really worth going for rock slide. other than that, the only thing I would suggest would be to give thundurus 76 evs in attack to help with mons like chansey that switch in on you. The biggest flaw I see with you team, is that nothing on your team can touch mega-venusaur. Terrakion is the only thing that can really damage it but just dies to giga drain in the end. Keldeo also destroys everything except azumarill, and azumarill isn't taking on a set with hp electric very well. Because of this, I would use life orb latios over excadrill. Latios can still get rid of hazards, but also checks mega venusaur and keldeo. Here's the set i would recommend:

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Thunderbolt/Surf

I feel latios would be more useful than excadrill on your team, since everything excadrill has to offer coverage-wise garchomp and terrakion also cover. You could also consider running scarfed terrakion>banded terrakion if you miss the speed from scarfed excadrill.

Hey~ ~ ~

Ok so thats my first message here, I am new here too, even if some friend on PS taught me how to introduce myself in this community so I thought that I could somehow help some people. Well, let's start!

Looking at your team in a first glance, it looks quite solid to me, even if I would probably change some set to make the team even better. First, change Rock Slide on Garchomp because it isn't very helpful. Sword Dance and Fire Blast (with a Naive nature) are by far better choices. To be honest, I would just go with Sword Dance to hit as hard as possible everything, but Fire Blast can be nice too, especially if you find problems with Steel-type pokèmons like Skarmory or Ferrothorn. I would probably go with Outrage in place of Dragon Claw as well, but I can see the reasons why you prefer it so you can keep it if you want. Being locked is something really frustating sometimes. Then, I would change Azumarill's set in an Assault Vest one because it's just better at dealing with things like Greninja and Keldeo that look problematic for your team. The EV spread is 252 HP, 16 Speed and the rest in Attack while the moveset should be Play Rough / Knock Off / Waterfall / Aqua Jet. That change definitely help you with strong specially attackers, and especially against Keldeo and Greninja, which as I said before look like a big problem for your team. Finally, I don't totally agree with the suggestion the user above me gave you about Terrakion. When you are using it with a Choice Band, you are probably just spam its STABs and you generally don't need any more coverage move because your STABs already OHKO everything. For example, Iron Head and Poison Job aren't very helpful when you 2HKO every Fairy-type mon existing with Stone Edge. Otherwise Rock Slide can be useful when you really don't want to miss, against Pinsir for example. I know that Rock Slide is situation as well but to me it's just more useful in general. Feel free however, to use Iron Head / Poison Job / whatever you want on Terrakion's last slot, it doesn't matter much in any case.

I hope that my first post here was good enough and that I have helped you a bit. Cheers, good luck with your team~ ~ ~

Hey there, mate! First of all things, i wanna say welcome into this community of competitive pokèmon! I hope u will enjoy ur time here.

Down with the introduction-meeting, let's talk a little about the team of urs.

Fight spam has got a very very powerful position nowdays and, as like as in 5th gen, there are many pokèmons like mega heracross, mega medicham, keldeo, and terrakion too, that can destroy opponents thanks to their CC ( close combat ) or SS ( secret sword ) so i like your choice tho. Furthermore, mega gyarados is an excellent mega-evolution specially since Aegislash was banned to Ubers. Both Excadrill and Thundurus represent 2 of the most dangerous mons of the entire OU tier and we all know about Azumarill's power & stuff. At the end we have Garchomp, great choice for a fast hazard's set up. All in all, unfortunately, i must say that the team is a bit unbalanced and there are quite many pokemon that are at least threatning for this team: Latwins are faster of both terrakion and gyarados and they have some real strong weapons in psyshock and draco meteor that hit very hard all of your team and deal massive damages. Talonflame can be problematic too 'cause thanks to gale wings brave bird will always hit first and that means more and more damage for your pokemon. Greninja is faster than ANYTHING on your team and with his strong trait he can really destroy pretty much everything in 1/2 hits. Keldeo can freely spam scald and try to burn your fellas except if thundurus is on the field because scarf eq will not kill him in 1 hit and secret sword can deal huge damages too even if it's resisted by both thundurus and azumarill. Enemye's Thundurus can mess up with 5/6 of your team, superpower + thunderboltreally wreck down your entire team. Stall teams can cause you lot of problems because your stall breaker ( gyarados ) is very very sensible to status move like will o wisp or toxic. Furthermore, mega venusaur absolutely destroys the Hell out of this team by leech seeding and giga draining everything. So there are my suggestions to make the team better.

1)Give Iron Head / Quick Attack to your terrakion instead of rock slide, that will increase a bit the coverage since terrakion doesn't need the double rock move. Quick Attack can, mostly, allow terrakion to kill some dangerous pokemon in low hp situation.

2)Give Fire Blast to ur Grchomp. This way he will be able to face 1v1 Ferrothorn and prevent him to set up leech seed / SR / Spikes. This will allow u to set up your own SR freely and you will also prevent thundurus to be heavy damaged every time he comes in.

3)Change your Azumarill's set. I suggest you to use an Assault Vest one because AV Azumarill can be very very helpful with fight spammers that literally cripple your main core ( terrakion+gyarados ) and he can check almost perfectly greninja and with knock off he can put chansey in serious troubles. Set's in spoiler

4) Replace scarf Excadrill with Life Orb Latias. Latias can deal with pretty much every single Keldeo and Mega Manectric ( two of the ones that can really really hurt you ). Also, Latias can Healing Wish one of your best pokes if he's hurt or if a negative status troubles him. Set's in spoiler

5) Give substitute tu ur mega Gyarados instead of Ice Fang. You will need it when you'll face up a Quagsire or a chansey and you'll get a free dragon dance and obviously mold breaker will negate unaware and you'll find much more possibilities to set up.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 SDef / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi there. I'm sorry but I'm going to have to lock this thread. Your RMT lacks detailed descriptions, and your format isn't very neat. Please feel free to PM me once you think you can update this, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)