ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, unlike what seems to be the most voiced opinion on this page, that video only served to make me way more excited. regardless of if one Pokemon is 2 levels lower than it used to be I'm sure the games will be about as difficult as any other Pokemon game overall. Also everyone by now should recognize that Pokemon isn't a game you play because you were wanting something difficult to beat, but because you want a really fun world and adventure to immerse yourself in. Come on guys we're getting updated versions of the best Pokemon games ever! This is basically THE dream!

And did you see the part with the wild Trapinch? The way it looks? Man, I had to get up and flip furniture to burn off my excitment. Other than console games that was the most "interactive" I've ever seen the player character be in the actual battle scene. Plus that crazy awesome sandstorm BG and camera angle. Oh God!

And while I'm also very excited that the rival will have an increased script I definitely don't share the opinion that they were somehow unfulfilling in the originals. In fact they have one of the best relationships with the player character. I've always felt Brendan and May have the most complex relationship. There's like so many levels to it.
My problem isnt with the Makuhita being 2 levels lower, but yes with the grovyle being too high leveled.

My problem isnt with the Makuhita being 2 levels lower, but yes with the grovyle being too high leveled.
i wouldn't really place too much stock in the levels of the player pokemon in trailers. i mean, think about it. if brawly's highest pokemon is 16, then the trainers leading up to him are most likely under that level. unless they greatly inflated the the numbers of trainers and/or their pokemon, you definitely wouldn't get that high-leveled before brawly unless you were soloing (and even then i don't think you'd be high enough). it's much more likely that they just choose random levels for the trailers, or, for this case, possibly showing off grovyle learning leaf blade earlier.

i wouldn't really place too much stock in the levels of the player pokemon in trailers. i mean, think about it. if brawly's highest pokemon is 16, then the trainers leading up to him are most likely under that level. unless they greatly inflated the the numbers of trainers and/or their pokemon, you definitely wouldn't get that high-leveled before brawly unless you were soloing (and even then i don't think you'd be high enough). it's much more likely that they just choose random levels for the trailers, or, for this case, possibly showing off grovyle learning leaf blade earlier.
developer builds usually have their pokemon's levels all over the place and likely weren't trying to show off anything in particular

its entirely possible they had that grovyle from later in the game and went to a previous state through the power of debugging
or that they just blitzed through the early part with Grovyle alone

The rival was never really the rival, though, was it? I think Bulbapedia actually refers to them as the pseudo-rival with Wally being the real rival.

Also, anyone notice that Ash's hat has its own Bulbapedia page? Wait, I'm getting off topic.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The rival was never really the rival, though, was it? I think Bulbapedia actually refers to them as the pseudo-rival with Wally being the real rival.

Also, anyone notice that Ash's hat has its own Bulbapedia page? Wait, I'm getting off topic.
Speaking of Wally, I hope he has actual relevance in the story this time. He hardly felt like a rival to me.

All i hope is for tutors to come back...Pbank served its purpose. I want KBirn mons with good ol moves and nuce surprises.

And i hope wally gets a better treatment in this remakes the poor kud was just a guy with a delcatty on his team near the league.

I personally never liked the rival system of XY. Yes, we're supposed to be a group of friends traveling together on our journey around Kalos but they took the "rivalry" aspect almost entirely. The encounters you have with them are frequent and annoying; you are challenged by Shauna, Tierno, and Trevor to battles but they hardly pose any sort of threat and the wins were not even satisfying. What happened to the snobs like Blue, the deep, damaged rivals like Silver, or the wishful thinkers like N? Today we just hear about Tierno's love of dancing before AND after wiping the floor with him (Oh dear god teach that Roserade something other than Petal Dance you idiot. You're giving my Chesnaught free turns). The closest sign to an actual rivalry is when we challenge Calem/Serena at Kiloude City, he/she becomes disappointed when they lose and vow to become better.

Maybe things will change with ORAS

"Hi! <player>! I bet you're surprised to see me here! I made it all the way here, and it's all thanks to you! <Player>, losing to you that time made me stronger! But I'm not going to lose anymore! I'm going to win! For the Pokémon who gave me courage and strength! Okay… Here I come! "

While crushing the hopes and dreams of some sick kid is a sadistic yet interesting plot device, I just hope Wally is more challenging this time around. Maybe his Roselia and Magneton could evolve before he battles you at Victory Road.

I swear I read some interview during Gen5 where they (the developers or someone) stated that they didn't even want to make "rivals" anymore, and wanted to make it a more friendly experience which is why they introduced Cheren and Bianca in BW. Evidently in XY they took the whole friendship bullshit and spread it even thinner across 4 characters.

Maybe someone knows what I'm talking about or remembers the interview.

I do want a stronger presence of Brendan/May. The main reason is that I was so disappointed in that for the first time, there was a female rival (if you picked a male player character) and she quits along the way! We didn't get another female rival until Gen V and to be honest, not as good as May could have been (though I really do like Bianca as a character, anyway).

I swear I read some interview during Gen5 where they (the developers or someone) stated that they didn't even want to make "rivals" anymore, and wanted to make it a more friendly experience which is why they introduced Cheren and Bianca in BW. Evidently in XY they took the whole friendship bullshit and spread it even thinner across 4 characters.

I didn't mind the relationship with Barry, Bianca, or Cheren since a friendly rivalry was good and they were decent challenges (Hugh also goes here, but the relationship is different due to his backstory and personality). I will admit that those four in X and Y were unbelievably weak. Hell, we started against the person who chose who we are strong against along with us having a STAB move!

You're not going crazy because I kind of remember the same thing. Which makes me sad because beating someone who thought so highly of themselves throughout the game until the end was a fun experience. The one thing I can only ask for for the ORAS rival is to have them fully evolve their starter pokemon. It was bullcrap that the final battle with Brenden/May had them only with the second stage evolutions.

If anyone wants a video breakdown with side by side comparisons with the original games, here's one from TTube. Pretty interesting stuff and it's nice to see it more polished than what it was when ORAS was first revealed.

Last edited:
You people are saying that the Hoenn rivals were pushovers but no one brought up the fight on Route 110. That fight was actually challenging depending on your team.

Rivals were my second biggest dissapoimtment of rse, so I'm happy they're going to be improved. Beating blue was what got me into Pokemon, so I'm still not happy with these "rivals," because there's no motivation to beat them, but these are remakes, so I'm ok with them following the source material.

And about the battles being too easy or reasonable, seriously people? This is a game for 10 year olds, if you want a challenge, find it in post game or competitive community, the story is supposed to be winnable by 10 year olds that just go through with their starter and maybe a few others they liked. Brawley's makuhita being under leveled or the rival's team being too hard isn't that big of a deal, especially how early in the game they are

Rivals were my second biggest dissapoimtment of rse, so I'm happy they're going to be improved. Beating blue was what got me into Pokemon, so I'm still not happy with these "rivals," because there's no motivation to beat them, but these are remakes, so I'm ok with them following the source material.

And about the battles being too easy or reasonable, seriously people? This is a game for 10 year olds, if you want a challenge, find it in post game or competitive community, the story is supposed to be winnable by 10 year olds that just go through with their starter and maybe a few others they liked. Brawley's makuhita being under leveled or the rival's team being too hard isn't that big of a deal, especially how early in the game they are
I beat ruby when I was ten, and it was much harder. After I beat it, I felt proud of myself because it was hard. Stop saying its a game for ten year olds. Everyone knows that already. If the games too easy, the feeling people get after beting it isnt as rewarding..

I beat ruby when I was ten, and it was much harder. After I beat it, I felt proud of myself because it was hard. Stop saying its a game for ten year olds. Everyone knows that already. If the games too easy, the feeling people get after beting it isnt as rewarding..
Because I'm sure Steven, Drake and Liza & Tate won't be hard. Even if they decrease them a few levels, their teams are still very well built and rather difficult to get by, especially since Steven's Metagross is gonna be mega evolving.

Sorry if my emphasis was misplaced, because the game is supposed to be reasonably difficult for the target audience, especially for the people who have invested the time to make it to the end, but I don't think anybody here would say they'd have any trouble beating Ruby now because it wasn't made to be hard ten years after you first play it.

I won my first game of red when I was 6 or something. It wasn't exactly hard (except when I got lost), and I beat it with just 4 Pokemon, but I definitely felt like I had accomplished something. That sense of accomplishment wasn't just from overcoming what I perceived as a great challenge, it was from every time I found an item in a hard-to-get-to place, every time one of my Pokemon leveled up, or whatever. Difficulty is a very small part of pokemon's great set up that has a lot more potential to ruin the game for lots of people by being too hard than for being too easy. The brilliance is in the game design, and we already know that'll be fine.

Serebii said:
During todays episode of Pokémon Get☆TV, some new Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire footage was shown. In this footage, it showcased Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre, and revealed that the moves we've seen them use in previous images are new moves rather than reanimated moves. These moves have not currently been named, but as soon as we get this information, it'll be posted.

Well Cobraroll , it's time.

Does that confirm XY will be getting a patch to be able to process these new moves and by extension Primal legendaries and new mega stones?

Does that confirm XY will be getting a patch to be able to process these new moves and by extension Primal legendaries and new mega stones?
Possible. Considering they made a patch for a bufix.

The other possibility is let the ORAS cart do all processing work, have the XY cart display generic/close animations.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I should be exited about new moves, but I'm just sad that Cobaroll will have to change his pic. I love that rollercoaster part and use it in Rollercoaster Tycoon all the time.

Anyway, I believe that Kyogre's signature move is probably a Water type Psystrike, as in Power 100. If it's not, then it will have a Power of at least 130. Groudon's move is harder to guess, but someone guessed that it's a Ground/Fire move in the same way Flying Press is Fighting/Flying and if you ask me, that's a very good guess. I believe that if it's not a pure Fire type move then there's a good chance for it to be Fire/Ground.

Yep. So there's nothing much in regards with discussing the compatibility.

For all we know, official in-person tournaments (VGC and the like) might just use ORAS exclusively (meaning your 'mons must be BORN in ORAS, but can be traded to XY if needed for something and back). Think of it as an analogue to a trading card game 'New Meta'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)