Ubers Smeargle (GP 2/2)

Hello! I am not QC, and if I have no authority to post sets here, please tell me. I'll freely delete this post.

I feel there should be mention of Endeavor EE. With sticky web support, he can be quite threatening as he out-speeds pokes in the tier.

Here is a set that I've used in ubers.

Another Sticky Web Support
########
Name: Sticky Lead
Move 1: Sticky Web
Move 2: Spore
Move 3: Endeavor
Move 4: Extreme Speed
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly

Move Details
========
- Rewards Good prediction handsomely
- Smeargle has access to the incredibly useful Sticky Web and is one of its few good users
- With Sticky web up, He can at least outspeed the opponent to get that spore or last ditch endeavor up.

Set Details
========

- Max speed and Atk, let sticky web compliment Smeargle's speed.
- No need for bulk. As soon as Smeargle gets 1 hp the better. (He can't take much anyway)
- Arrive early in game, Set up web with spore, switch out for havoc later. Or Stay in and threaten pokes with endeavor, once you're 1 hp left. OR use later as check for pokes that have set up (Xerneas with Geomancy, CM lugia, CM Arceus (without EE), CM Cresselia ).
- Own Tempo prevents Swagger Shenanigans

Usage Tips
========
- Get that spore and Sticky web as soon as you can
- don't be afraid to let smeargle get hit. With one HP and Sticky web up, you can Spore -> Endeavor -> EE. At the very least if you can get a single poke in the red zone with this you would've used Smeargle succesfully.

Checks and Counters
========
- Mega Kangaskhan and other multi hitting pokemon / moves
- EKiller Arceus, (unless he is endeavored + sticky webbed. Then you can outspeed him with your own EE)
- Ghost Types (Giratina, Ghostceus) since endeavor/EE doesn't affect them.
- Rocky Helmet (You get killed after you endeavor)
- Choice Scarfers (Too fast to get spore on, even with sticky web)
- Mega Mewtwo Y (Just too fast. 252 Speed Timid Mega Mewtwo Y (416 * .66 = 274.56)

Some pokes he can outspeed and spore-> Endeavor-> EE when web is up (Jolly Smeargle 252 Speed = 273)
252 Speed Timid Kyogre (306 * 0.66) = 201.96
252 Speed Timid Xerneas (326 * 0.66) = 215.16
252 Speed Timid Palkia (328 * 0.66) = 216.48

Safe to say that base 100 pokes can be outsped(as long as no scarf)?

Last edited:

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Smeargle is just too slow to be an effective user of D-Bond, and a waste of a mon if all you are going to do is set TR when (if your are going down such a path) there are much better TR setters to use.

I don't think the FEAR set placed with Web is really useable since you are basically forced to choose between setting Webs or killing their lead when you always want to set Web since that is the reason that you are running Smeargle in the first place. If you want a hazard lead that can use Endeavor go with Scolipede.

Smeargle is just too slow to be an effective user of D-Bond, and a waste of a mon if all you are going to do is set TR when (if your are going down such a path) there are much better TR setters to use.

I don't think the FEAR set placed with Web is really useable since you are basically forced to choose between setting Webs or killing their lead when you always want to set Web since that is the reason that you are running Smeargle in the first place. If you want a hazard lead that can use Endeavor go with Scolipede.
Web setting is a priority. As much as possible spore + sticky web. Endeavor and EE are there so that your Smeargle isn't just there for sticky web. He can actually threaten the opposition.

Here is a replay with this particular smeargle:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-129393633
Here, I reserved smeargle since the opponent has a faster darkrai, and a shaymin for the spore.
I countered his arceus fairy in the end with it.

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now
Minority, mention Dialga as a SmashPass recipient in the Baton Pass set. It resists Extreme Speed and takes little damage from other forms of priority, bar Yveltal's Sucker Punch and Mach Punch/Vacuum Wave. It also has incredible bulk to somewhat remedy the defense drops of Shell Smash. I'd also slash Dark Void on all the sets, as nothing is immune to the move unlike Spore. It also offers a way to beat Breloom leads.

Last edited:

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
For both sets you need to mention specific teammates that can do the things you mentioned (i.e. Ghosts/fast Fighting mons to stop Khan, Web abusers, Taunters, SmashPass receivers, etc).

And yeah put Dark Void in OO. Other things to put in there are Endeavor, Destiny Bond, Trick Room, and other boosting moves to pass (Quiver Dance/Gear Shift)

Do these things and I'll stamp.

Minority, mention Dialga as a SmashPass recipient in the Baton Pass set. It resists Extreme Speed and takes little damage from other forms of priority, bar Yveltal's Sucker Punch and Mach Punch/Vacuum Wave. It also has incredible bulk to somewhat remedy the defense drops of Shell Smash. I'd also slash Dark Void on all the sets, as nothing is immune to the move unlike Spore. It also offers a way to beat Breloom leads.
Might be a noob question, Do people run breloom in ubers?
Or in every analysis, you always include mons that can counter even if they aren't in that tier?

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Might be a noob question, Do people run breloom in ubers?
Or in every analysis, you always include mons that can counter even if they aren't in that tier?
Breloom is used in Ubers but not very often and it does have merit. The reason why Dark Suck was not originally slashed or even mentioned is because there just aren't many commonly used mons that are grass types that can also effectively threaten Smeargle. Ferrothorn is too slow to stop Web and Arceus-Grass is unable to stop web despite being faster. Shaymin-S is the only thing really worth running Dark Suck for since it can switch in on Spore and Flinch you with Air Hax to prevent you from setting web, Breloom and Whimsicott can threaten Smeargle as well but they are so uncommon that it just isn't really worth running such a shit move just for them as well.

Set should be Nuzzle, Taunt, Webs, Mcoat / Spin.

Nuzzle + Taunt beats all the Defog users (unlike Spore which loses to Grass Arceus) and removes the risk of the opponent predicting the Nuzzle and bringing their Defogger in on it. I prefer Magic Coat over Rapid Spin because it can kinda do what Spin already does (with the predictions) on top of giving you a shot at beating Darkrai leads or playing ballsy on Taunt users if going for the safe Nuzzle isn't your cup of tea.

Will comment more when set is fixed.

Edit: Remove the smashpass set. I've been fiddling with it but it's still something that is very inconsistent to the point of being a gimmick. If things change down the road we can always add it into the existing analysis but or right now I don't feel comfortable suggesting it to newer players.

Last edited:

Minority

Numquam Vincar
I originally had MC first slashed but Hack made a point of saying that Spin is much better. Did you guys agree that MC is actually better and that Spore is worse than Taunt.

Allow me to suggest my BP smeargle, it can BP to anything and rek from there since they (more often that not) will miss

1. Smeargle @ Focus Sash
  2. Ability: Own Tempo
  3. EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
  4. Timid Nature
  5. - Spore
  6. - Minimize
  7. - Baton Pass
  8. - Magic Coat
The entire purpose of this gimmicky high risk high reward strategy is to Baton Pass away into a setup sweeper who can proceed to sweep most teams from that point. A perfect example of this is Ekiller. Yveltal at that point is forced to go for foul play and assuming you managed 2 minimizes you can SD again as you expect(PRAY) for the miss. Then you shrek the opposing team with an untouchable +4 arceus.

**Checks And Counters**
- Multi-Hit Moves: Pretty much the same for regular Smeargle.
-Darkrai: Darkrai creates a 50/50. If I go for the spore there is a chance it will set up a sub/put smeargle to sleep and use smeargle as setup fodder/kill it. If i go for the Magic Coat there is a chance it will outright kill me with dark pulse predicting that

Other than that this Smeargle set is a high risk high reward strategy that is perfect for any team needing a lead for Ekiller

(P.S)
There are better leads

Minority

Numquam Vincar
Allow me to suggest my BP smeargle, it can BP to anything and rek from there since they (more often that not) will miss

1. Smeargle @ Focus Sash
  2. Ability: Own Tempo
  3. EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
  4. Timid Nature
  5. - Spore
  6. - Minimize
  7. - Baton Pass
  8. - Magic Coat
The entire purpose of this gimmicky high risk high reward strategy is to Baton Pass away into a setup sweeper who can proceed to sweep most teams from that point. A perfect example of this is Ekiller. Yveltal at that point is forced to go for foul play and assuming you managed 2 minimizes you can SD again as you expect(PRAY) for the miss. Then you shrek the opposing team with an untouchable +4 arceus.

**Checks And Counters**
- Multi-Hit Moves: Pretty much the same for regular Smeargle.
-Darkrai: Darkrai creates a 50/50. If I go for the spore there is a chance it will set up a sub/put smeargle to sleep and use smeargle as setup fodder/kill it. If i go for the Magic Coat there is a chance it will outright kill me with dark pulse predicting that

Other than that this Smeargle set is a high risk high reward strategy that is perfect for any team needing a lead for Ekiller

(P.S)
There are better leads
Please lurk ALOT more.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
You don't get it do you
I said there are better sets and better leads. I merely introduced a new smeargle set, good or not.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/passin-dirty-peaked-1-in-gangsta-ness.3513209/

I've been using evasion pass Smeargle for a long time, in fact, it was originally joke slashed on this analysis because I had run it so much (lol its still on the analysis under OO so you didn't introduce anything new, also your spread is inferior).

Now as relevant stuff goes there was an argument over Rapid Spin and Magic Coat that never got resolved, can we discuss this.

Smeargle's Speed isn't particularly bad when maxed out, remove that from the intro. Instead mention how some leads (such as Deoxys-A and Deoxys-S) easily outrun it.

Taunt isn't bad on Smeargle as it can stop defoggers like support Arceus once they have been Nuzzled and/or slowed by Web. With that said Whirlwind and Magic Coat are also excellent so I'm OK with it not getting slashed, but I'd like more QC input because it's a very viable move. It should at least be mentioned in OO.

Remove evasion pass from OO, I'm vehemently opposed to that garbage receiving any mention in an analysis.

QC 1/3 xD

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Make slot 4 Spore / Taunt with WW a mention in the set details.

Remove Minimize from OO.

Add Scarf Genesect to Team Options for handling Darkrai leads.

This looks good otherwise.

QC 2/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)