ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say I like mega gallade the most out of the new reveals, but I hope he gets a kickass ability and defense boost otherwise why choose him over mega medicham :(
Gallade has actual bulk, at least on the special side (68/125)

It also gets Will-O-Wisp which is REALLY ANNOYING.

And Knock Off which is ALSO REALLY ANNOYING.

And Close Combat, which, compared to High Jump Kick, is NOT SO ANNOYING (FOR YOU.)

And Swords Dance, which will close the gap in power.

It has Agility
It also has Focus energy and Ancient power(altough not reliable) lol
goddamit.

Its just that a boosting move (offensively) that sharpedo or Mega sharpedo really lacks if it wants to sweep, because I don't want to wait until the end of the game to bring him out when everything is weakened. I want him to wreck from the get go.

In other news, Strong jaw is pretty good imo. I'm pretty sure they will give him fire fang and thunder fang to abuse his ability later on when it comes out. (I mean look at ludicolo, he learns fire punch for crying out loud).

Mega camerupt looks adorable <3 he looks like one of those really small dogs with a lot of fur except you know he's big :).

Well it will get a boost to all it's stats so it's base attack is probably going to be 140ish but we will have to see about that in the future. As for Crunch yeah it is strong but most of it's other moves are nowhere as strong. Even though Mega Sharpedo is probably going to be better than I originally said I still think it won't make that much of an impact in OU since priority murders it and Pokemon like Azumarill can take his hits quite easily and kill it.
That's fair enough. Given that it has Strong Jaw, and very low defenses, I'd bet that it would get a significant physical attack boost, though. It could be 0/+20/+20/+20/+20/+20, or it could be something like 0/+40/+10/+20/+10/+20. Just because it's getting a boost in everything does't mean that everything will be boosted evenly. 9 Tales of Ninetales would have a better intuition here than I would, but I'd bet that it will still have an attack bias, regardless.

I think it will make a good late game sweeper; it does lose Speed Boost upon evolving, and because of this, and the fact that it doesn't have any attack boosting moves (yet), it's somewhat weak to things like Intimidate and King's Shield. Thundurus will likely be a direct counter to it, as well as M Manectric and Azumarill, and I'm sure that there's more, but there will be things that can't come in on it, and if it's played right, I could easily see it sweeping once things are hurt. Aqua Jet does do limited damage to other priority users, all of whom he outspeeds after one speed boost, but it only does about 75-88 percent to a 0/4 Def Talonflame. It's not as good as I initially thought, but it does have a lot of potential; Crunch does 2HKO Chansey after rocks, after all.

On an in-game note watch out for Archie's Crunch.

Also, I may have missed someone mentioning it, I skimmed through most of the posts this morning, but has anyone else noticed the etherial flames coming from M-Gallade's hands and feet?

Nothing too unexpected here, though I like the designs. Gallade for Wally makes sense since all of the Ralts line is about protecting their trainer, it's just that Garden uses Psychic power and Gallade uses Fighting.

Couldn't be more pleased with Primal Groudon and Kyogre; Cliff's Edge is a great name. Can't wait for Kyogre's move and the remaining page reveals.

So Gallade mega-evolved into a matador, Sharpedo into the submarine from the last video, and Camerupt into a mop dog.

I'm okay with this completely predicted maneuver.

By the way, in the artwork Mega Sharpedo has nose spikes, but is it just me or do they seem to be missing in the the screenshot? Or is it a "white on white" optical trick?

By the way, in the artwork Mega Sharpedo has nose spikes, but is it just me or do they seem to be missing in the the screenshot? Or is it a "white on white" optical trick?
It's more likely an 'attack mode', where they only pop out when it's attacking.

I think it's cool that if you look at M-Camerupt from an aerial view, it looks like an island from up top.

I like the designs for these megas. I thought it was neat they gave M-Sharpedo a saw shark nose. However, I don't see how strong jaw will help its water STAB.

M-Gallade has minimal change to it. I wasn't really a fan of the wide hips and it's still there.

Perma weather in ubers sounds so awesome! Kyogre might reclaim its throne

Mega Camerupt will probably be a lot like Mega Abomasnow, but more powerful due to sheer force (but worse against offense because no priority :( ). I can't see it making OU because its typing isn't great, but maybe as a trick room sweeper if water priority is removed?

Mega sharpedo will be neat too, 120 bp crunch is really good, it's already beating life orb sharpedo with that alone.

Mega Gallade is a really dull design tbh, haven't got much to say about it.

That's fair enough. Given that it has Strong Jaw, and very low defenses, I'd bet that it would get a significant physical attack boost, though. It could be 0/+20/+20/+20/+20/+20, or it could be something like 0/+40/+10/+20/+10/+20. Just because it's getting a boost in everything does't mean that everything will be boosted evenly. 9 Tales of Ninetales would have a better intuition here than I would, but I'd bet that it will still have an attack bias, regardless.

I think it will make a good late game sweeper; it does lose Speed Boost upon evolving, and because of this, and the fact that it doesn't have any attack boosting moves (yet), it's somewhat weak to things like Intimidate and King's Shield. Thundurus will likely be a direct counter to it, as well as M Manectric and Azumarill, and I'm sure that there's more, but there will be things that can't come in on it, and if it's played right, I could easily see it sweeping once things are hurt. Aqua Jet does do limited damage to other priority users, all of whom he outspeeds after one speed boost, but it only does about 75-88 percent to a 0/4 Def Talonflame. It's not as good as I initially thought, but it does have a lot of potential; Crunch does 2HKO Chansey after rocks, after all.
Well, I don't know what the patterns are in terms of the vocabulary the use to describe boosts in stats relative to the actual numerical boosts. The text about their increases is actually in the scans and there's no important info missing that wasn't translated or something. Sharpedo's literally just says: "All it's stats go up! Bite! Munch! Munch!"
IIRC Metagross is another Pokemon that is supposedly getting boosts in everything based on the actual text. but I also remember them kind of highlighting it's speed. While they aren't highlighting a specific stat for Sharpedo yet. Still i would expect something like the 0/+40/+10/+20/+10/+20 spread you suggested... I guess...
And I think we might be crossing the competitive talk line a little bit... but boosting moves and all the stuff doesn't matter. Because priority exists Sharpedo will never be a serious enough threat to be worth using unless it's mega gets WAY big def boosts. Not even sp.def, just def. Like +30 or +40 def so it can stomach priority.

On to a rather related subject... we now know for sure that Wally gets one. Along with the Player, Team Leader and Champion, that's 5 characters that get Mega Evolution - already the same amount as XY iirc.

Mega Camerupt will probably be a lot like Mega Abomasnow, but more powerful due to sheer force (but worse against offense because no priority :( ). I can't see it making OU because its typing isn't great, but maybe as a trick room sweeper if water priority is removed?

Mega sharpedo will be neat too, 120 bp crunch is really good, it's already beating life orb sharpedo with that alone.

Mega Gallade is a really dull design tbh, haven't got much to say about it.
Well he will need a +40/50 atk boost to match LO Sharpedo in terms of damage output, aside from using Crunch.

Meanwhile I am SO pissed at Diantha right now. She's a thief! A no good crook! A MAIN STEALER!! Literally ever other champion had the decency and pride in their own generation to pick out a main from their gen, rather than STEAL someone else's!! Mega Gallade is a really weird mixed bag to me. He himself is flippin' sweet. I'm actually really surprised how much I like him given how much I don't really care for regular Gallade. The cape(s)! And I bet the red on his arms does some really awesome stuff once he's animated. He looks like such show-man... but then he's standing next to Wally. What happened to the sickly boy and guardian angle? Honestly one of my favorite character parring ins in all of Pokemon and it was broken apart. My feeling is literally like, before this news I was prepared to say "ORAS is better than RS in every way, it's all the good stuff plus more" now I have to say "ORAS is better in almost every aspect" I was hoping I wasn't gonna be picking and choosing things that are better in one make or the other....
To be fair, Diantha's signature pokémon isn't Gardevoir, but its mega. Every new gen brings new pokémon and even generations have also brought evolutions from previous pokémon. Gen VI just took a different approach and introduced mega evolutions, a new way of implementing never before seen pokémon, even if it has some particularities. So I wouldn't say Diantha "stole" Gardevoir from Wally. She was just given a gen 6 pokémon from a type introduced in gen 6. And to be honest mega Gardevoir fits her way better than, say, mega Mawile or mega Gallade.

Speaking of mega Gallade, I'm really happy Wally got it. True, it deviates from his original role, but I like it and it fits a boy better. Also, it's nice to see that the counterparts of pokémon that got megas in xy aren't being left out (like Sableye and Gallade). Machamp and Golem are the only ones left, right? Given how GF has been handing out mega evolutions, I'm sure they'll be getting one before gen VII, especially because of Machamp's prominent role in Pokken Tournament.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have to say, the thing that interests me the most about this reveal is the fact that Gallade appears to have blue fire streaming from its arms and surrounding its legs. I know it is probably a long shot, but I honestly do not think it would be all that strange if we get a surprise Psychic/Fire typing here. It would not be the first time a typing seemed to come out of nowhere, and it would be a pretty cool change if you ask me.

Of course, I don't think this is all that likely, but if it is not, then I am curious what that fire is doing there at all.

Speaking of mega Gallade, I'm really happy Wally got it. True, it deviates from his original role, but I like it and it fits a boy better. Also, it's nice to see that the counterparts of pokémon that got megas in xy aren't being left out (like Sableye and Gallade). Machamp and Golem are the only ones left, right? Given how GF has been handing out mega evolutions, I'm sure they'll be getting one before gen VII, especially because of Machamp's prominent role in Pokken Tournament.
Machamp and Golem aren't counterparts in any way shape or form, they just happen to share an evolution method with 'zam and 'gar. Dusknoir's the only counterpart left so uh... kinda strengthens my theory a little.
"Fits a boy better"
Hoo boy, here come the gender role arguments
Of course, I don't think this is all that likely, but if it is not, then I am curious what that fire is doing there at all.
To look flashy like every other Mega art? It's just Mega Evolution special effects

That blue smoke from it's arms and legs could easily be their interpretation of psycho cut, so I'd hold off on that assertion.

Also people don't seem to understand that Fire/Ground is great offensive and even defensive typing. Resists Steel, Bug, Fairy, Fire, Electric, and Poison while only being weak to 2 types; it should do well.

It's too bad you get Numel after the point where it would be most useful.

To be air, Diantha's signature pokémon isn't Gardevoir, but its mega. Every new gen brings new pokémon and even generations have also brought evolutions from previous pokémon. Gen VI just took a different approach and introduced mega evolutions, a new way of implementing never before seen pokémon, even if it has some particularities. So I wouldn't say Diantha "stole" Gardevoir from Wally. She was just given a gen 6 pokémon from a type introduced in gen 6. And to be honest mega Gardevoir fits her way better than, say, mega Mawile or mega Gallade.
Diantha has a Gardevoir. It's #282 in the Pokedex. It can change it's form and get more powerful but it's still #282. And after you finish battling her it is still a Gardevoir. If you have a regular Gardevoir and a Mega Gardevoir on your team you are breaking Species clause. regardless of its form Gardevoir is her main and she stole it...

Speaking of mega Gallade, I'm really happy Wally got it. True, it deviates from his original role, but I like it and it fits a boy better.
Gender role issues indeed. Boys can fit whatever they want.

And in terms of this colored smoke and fire effects around Mega Gallade. I already theorized on it a little, but I think it's mostly just for visual affect. Mega Metagross and Steven have similar stuff behind them in their image together too. However there's is like an explosion of power while Wally's looks more like a stage effect. Which is why I get a "contest-vibe" from his art.

Last edited:
I have to say, the thing that interests me the most about this reveal is the fact that Gallade appears to have blue fire streaming from its arms and surrounding its legs. I know it is probably a long shot, but I honestly do not think it would be all that strange if we get a surprise Psychic/Fire typing here. It would not be the first time a typing seemed to come out of nowhere, and it would be a pretty cool change if you ask me.

In b4 rxpanded movepool gives him aura sphere. Mythical figthers of azn folk often spew life force from their limbs in battle.

Machamp and Golem aren't counterparts in any way shape or form, they just happen to share an evolution method with 'zam and 'gar. Dusknoir's the only counterpart left so uh... kinda strengthens my theory a little.
"Fits a boy better"
Hoo boy, here come the gender role arguments

To look flashy like every other Mega art? It's just Mega Evolution special effects
Well Alakazam and Machamp have more in common than just a similar evolution method so that is a thing. Also Machamp is a pretty popular Pokemon and it was in RSE so I can see it getting a mega evolution. It would also greatly appreciate one.

Mega Camerupt has an "M" on his forehead?!
Suddenly I want to hear how Maxie single-handedly unlocked Mega evolution for Camerupts just to make Team "M"agma all the more mightier.
(The "M" definitely doesn't stand for "mega", kthx)
The extra-long fur looks like a mechanism to help store heat, so M-Camerupt can display a much hotter body temp than normal Camerupts. It also makes him look a bit more like a new island forming from an eruption.

Gallade MEvoes just like Gardevoir; more white, more red thingies on his important bits, more flowy thingies.

Mega Sharpedo legitimately looks like a weapon. And I can appreciate that look on the mega Brutal Pokemon

Last edited:
Diantha has a Gardevoir. It's #282 in the Pokedex. It can change it's form and get more powerful but it's still #282. And after you finish battling her it is still a Gardevoir. If you have a regular Gardevoir and a Mega Gardevoir on your team you are breaking Species clause. regardless of its form Gardevoir is her main and she stole it...
True, but from gen 3 onwards Champions have had teams consisting basically of pokémon from their generation (the only true exception is Steven's Skarmory) with their aces being a pokémon with stats akin to legendaries. Diantha didn't break this pattern in any way. Her team is made up of gen 6 pokémon and her ace has stats of a pseudo legendary. Do you guys really think Gardevoir would've been picked as Diantha's signature pokémon if it hadn't gotten a mega? We know GF has been surprising us a lot, but they are not doing things randomly and stupidly, so there are things that aren't likely to go against our expectations (like Thousand Waves, a physical ground type move becoming Primal Kyogre's new moves or a champion getting a main pokémon that wasn't introduced in the generation he or she is in - Mega Gardevoir is the pokémon introduced in gen 6, that's why I consider it to be Diantha's main pokémon and not Gardevoir).

Gardevoir would've never been picked as her ace, but its mega was a viable option that turned out to be chosen. So if anything you should blame Gardevoir for getting a ME and thus becoming eligible to be the Kalos Champion's main pokémon and not Diantha for stealing Wally's signature.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Wally as the sick boy with a guardian angel too. But I'm also pretty happy the way things are and I welcome a possible change in Wally's personality, especially since now both Gardevoir and Gallade are getting a mega. Game Freak gave mega Gardevoir to Diantha and mega Gallade to Wally, but I guess it would've still have made sense the other way around (Wally keeping his feminine protective angel and Diantha getting a loyal knight to protect her). I'm going take back what I said earlier because in the end, I would've been happy either way. What matters to me is that both the final forms of the Ralts family are going to mega evolve now and as a bonus Wally is probably getting a more substantial role in the remakes :)

True, but from gen 3 onwards Champions have had teams consisting basically of pokémon from their generation (the only true exception is Steven's Skarmory) with their aces being a pokémon with stats akin to legendaries. Diantha didn't break this pattern in any way. Her team is made up of gen 6 pokémon and her ace has stats of a pseudo legendary. Do you guys really think Gardevoir would've been picked as Diantha's signature pokémon if it hadn't gotten a mega? We know GF has been surprising us a lot, but they are not doing things randomly and stupidly, so there are things that aren't likely to go against our expectations (like Thousand Waves, a physical ground type move becoming Primal Kyogre's new moves or a champion getting a main pokémon that wasn't introduced in the generation he or she is in - Mega Gardevoir is the pokémon introduced in gen 6, that's why I consider it to be Diantha's main pokémon and not Gardevoir).

Gardevoir would've never been picked as her ace, but its mega was a viable option that turned out to be chosen. So if anything you should blame Gardevoir for getting a ME and thus becoming eligible to be the Kalos Champion's main pokémon and not Diantha for stealing Wally's signature.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Wally as the sick boy with a guardian angel too. But I'm also pretty happy the way things are and I welcome a possible change in Wally's personality, especially since now both Gardevoir and Gallade are getting a mega. Game Freak gave mega Gardevoir to Diantha and mega Gallade to Wally, but I guess it would've still have made sense the other way around (Wally keeping his feminine protective angel and Diantha getting a loyal knight to protect her). I'm going take back what I said earlier because in the end, I would've been happy either way. What matters to me is that both the final forms of the Ralts family are going to mega evolve now and as a bonus Wally is probably getting a more substantial role in the remakes :)
I pretty much agree with most all of this. No point in arguing the tiny things so.... yeah....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)