The Next Best Thing... [V2]: Set Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm really glad people with the CC Badge have been winning this as of late...makes it easier on me when I forget to update the Leaderboard since they don't have to be put on anyway :]

Zoroark @ Life Orb
Ability: Illusion
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Low Kick
- Sucker Punch / Frustration
- Swords Dance

Is Swords Dance considered "standard" on Zoroark? I honestly am not sure. Never messed with it in UU and hardly saw enough in RU to really get my question answered. If it is feel free to nix this set, but I guess it has its merits. After a +2 boost, Zoroark's got impressive coverage between Dark STAB and Fighting alone that it's able to whack nearly everything in the tier except Heracross (RIP), Toxicroak and Fairy-types for neutral damage. Knock Off hits hard as life, and Low Kick allows Zoroark to beat down stuff like Hydreigon, Mega Aggron, Lucario, etc. with greater ease. The choice between Sucker Punch and Frustration pretty much comes down to whether you want to take out Scarfed/faster mons who don't resist after setting up, or if you want to ensure you're able to beat Toxicroak, Togekiss, Florges, etc. after a boost. Both choices are pretty important, and Frustration is actually somewhat worthwhile due to the popularity of Fairies in the tier.

Of course, SD Zoroark ain't unwallable...have support from teammates like Victini and Ampharos and such who can soften up physical walls like Arcanine, Mega Aggron and Chesnaught before Zoroark's in position to sweep. Bulky Fighting-types such as Machamp can also be a hassle to deal with, so make sure they're out the way, too. Thanks to Illusion it's slightly more easy to set up in some instances, though every situation and every player in said situation varies greatly, so you can't say for sure. Either way though...it can do some damage.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Zoroark Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 177-211 (51.4 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Zoroark Frustration vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Togekiss: 186-220 (49.8 - 58.9%) -- 74.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Zoroark Frustration vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Togekiss: 260-307 (69.7 - 82.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

(Honestly I'm not sure whether Togekiss runs max HP and Defense or Special Defense in this meta, but screw it if it doesn't get murked either way)

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Zoroark Frustration vs. 252 HP / 232 Def Florges: 256-302 (71.1 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Zoroark Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Toxicroak: 252-296 (82 - 96.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Zoroark Frustration vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Toxicroak: 354-416 (115.3 - 135.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Zoroark Sucker Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Crobat: 352-415 (94.3 - 111.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Zoroark Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Noivern: 352-415 (113.1 - 133.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Zoroark Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mienshao: 221-261 (81.5 - 96.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Zoroark Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mienshao: 221-261 (81.5 - 96.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Zoroark Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 231-274 (57.1 - 67.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Zoroark Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 156-185 (38.6 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

(News Flash: If it doesn't use Rest, it's dead! Scald burns don't exist)

For Zoroarks, who knows what's standard. If there's not really a good answer to what's standard, I tend to look @ last gen, but they have so many sets, I would simply ask Bouf.

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
View attachment 25893
Zoroark @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Trick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Sucker Punch

This is a really cool set because it cripples many things that switch in if Zoroark is disguised as a different attacker. Also Choice Band Zoroark has STAB Knock Off, Sucker Punch, and U-turn, some of the best moves in the game. With a Choice Band he hits pretty hard, and than he can trick to cripple a wall. It just exemplifies the reasons you should be utilizing Zoroark, capitalizing on the forced switches with Trick and getting rid of items, gaining momentum, having priority. It might not be the top tier of the things i jist listed, but no other mon can do everything that the illusionist does. It's versatility is awesome. And once again illusion can be used to get the crucial trick on Aromatisse or Umbreon or whatever. Just a good set that has lots of utility. Priority, momentum, Knock Off, trick, what more could you want?

Zoroark @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Flamethrower

This set takes advantage of Zoroark's ability to force switches and befuddle your opponent, thus leading to a lategame sweep. Basically, you try to come in and "force" out the opponent, where you use Nasty Plot on the switch. From there...

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Zoroark Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 702-827 (215.3 - 253.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Zoroark Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Crobat: 386-454 (103.4 - 121.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Zoroark Dark Pulse vs. 236 HP / 0 SpD Mega Blastoise: 286-337 (79.8 - 94.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Zoroark Dark Pulse vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Alomomola: 402-473 (85.1 - 100.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Zoroark Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Blissey: 411-486 (63 - 74.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Zoroark Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 286-337 (70.7 - 83.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Zoroark Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 120 SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 376-445 (109.3 - 129.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The damage from this thing is unreal. Everything (except Florges) takes heaps of damage from this thing at +2, which is easy enough to set up, thanks to Illusion.

It's been a while since I've posted here. Good work on keeping this thing afloat Bouffalant. Hopefully I'm not too late here.

Zoroark @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
0 Def, 0 SpD
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Counter
- Memento

Zoroark has always been seen as a sneakily offensive bloke that used illusions to have his way with opponents. Now that his best buddy Heracross has left for greener pastures, it's time for Zoroark to make its own name for itself.

In terms of keeping trend with whoring the "Other Options" list off of the current WIP version of the Gen VI Zoroark analysis, I bring you Anti-Lead Zoroark. With its base 105 Speed stat, Zoroark can quickly and easily prevent opposing leads from laying hazards or setting up with Taunt or Knock Off. Once it appears that your enemy is ready to strike and there's no hope for victory, Zoroark can use Counter, fall back on its Focus Sash, and remove any physical threat it may have been matched up against. At that point, Zoroark can then utilize that last percentage of HP and sacrifice itself and give room for a teammate to begin a set up and potentially win the match.

I've found this set (in the 30 or so minutes I've used it) to be exceptionally useful in aiding Lucario and Alakazam setups. Nobody in their right mind would ever expect a Zoroak to run a set like this, and that's why it works. The sheer reaction of watching someone's Infernape or other physical attacker get squashed by a Counter, then to see their next switch-in reduced to the strength of a wet noodle is beautiful. Borderline poetic. I will admit though, you need a fair bit of luck to run this thing (offensive leads with Stealth Rock like to play mind games), and because of how quickly hazards will wreck it, you're essentially forced to lead with it.

Personally, I've never found Zoroark to be particularly good offensively. It's ridiculously frail as far as sweepers go, and there's always been better options. Mega-Houndoom does the whole Nasty Plot routine better, Hydreigon's dual STAB and access to the more reliable Superpower gives it a better role in the realm of mixed attacking (quite honestly, I don't like the idea of mixed attackers anyways), and even its choice sets are done better by practically every other choice user out there.

Last edited:
Uhh if that's how HP IVs work, then run that.

I'm voting for Sage of the 6 since his set looks like it would really haul ass during the early and middle games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)