ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see a physical signature Flying STAB more for Ray, maybe accompanied by a special signature flying STAB. Ray attacks from both ends of the spectrum after all.

Land, sea, and sky. I can't wait to replay my favorite games

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
POKEMON: (Mega Pokemon)

Descriptions:
Mega Camerupt: The humps on its back have transformed into one large and very active volcano. Magma is constantly bubbling up from within its body. It has a deep hatred of water or any moisture, and has an explosive personality and a short temper. The volcano on its back erupts constantly in an effort to intimidate its foes.

Mega Sharpedo: The fangs in Mega Sharpedo's mouth have transformed, and the horns that have sprouted from its nose can be regrown countless times. The yellow patterns on its body are scars carved into it in battle. With explosive propulsion, it can exceed 125 mph in an instant.

Mega Gallade: Plates emerge on Gallade's arms, and the helmet and cape-like protrusions on its head and back give it a knightly appearance. When the situation demands, Mega Gallade can use its psychic power to reshape both arms into blades simultaneously, and fight using a dual-wielding style.

My Opinion: Already gave all my opinions before, though I will say it's nice they confirmed that Mega Gallade got a notable Attack AND Speed boost, so I think it will be faster than M-Medicham. So I think I'll just quickly talk about the description they give to the Mega Pokemon (which is sadly not in the games, they should really make a Mega Dex and put this flavor text in there, otherwise they only exist OUTSIDE of the games).
"I HATE WATER!" Okay M-Camerupt, CALM DOWN! No one wants to to take you near water... "I WILL KILL ALL WATER!" You can't kill water, M-Camerupt, it's an inanimate object... "DIE WATER DIE!" I liked you better when you were a normal Camerupt... Okay, enough of that. Wow, they essentially made M-Camerupt an EXTREME aquaphobe, almost to a psychotic level. I wonder if he would be racist to Water-types. Like he would sitting on his porch, his friendly neighbor Marill passes by and gives him a quick hello, and he would then start ranting and raving about how he was in the Magma-Aqua wars, how Water-types are ruining this region, yells out Water-type slurs, and everyone around him just shakes their head in sadness. Anyway nice for them to talk about the humps becoming one and being not just active, but "very" active. That "very" was important to include.
I wonder if anyone in GameFreak or the Pokemon Company noticed the missing nose horns they talked about is missing on the model. "Hey boss" "Yes" "What are those nose spikes the description talks about?" "What do you mean, the nose spikes is right there in the art" "Yeah, I see it there, but the in-game model don't have them" "... F#$%!". I'm sure when the game is released it would be fixed, but it just seems funny that on the official site they have a clear error for EVERYONE to see. Also for battle scars they are sure nicely positioned to make a even and symetical pattern.
Okay, I take every negative thing I said about M-Gallade back, it looks SO COOL in battle! Though I don't know what they mean by using its psychic powers to reshape its arm into blades, THEY'RE ALREADY BLADES! Maybe they meant to say it uses its psychic powers to resharpen its blades? I can just imagine it using its psychic powers to simultaneously sharpen them with floating pieces of flint with its arms crossed and glaring straight at the opponent LIKE A BOSS.
Also, it's kind of odd they forgot to mention a few evolutions. They didn't mention Numel for M-Camerupt, Carvanha for M-Sharpedo, nor Mega Gardevoir for Mega Gallade. The last one is most odd as you'd think they would quickly mention it (and maybe confirm if its Mega Stone would be in the game or not).

I am vengeance. I am the (k)night. I. AM. MEGA GALLADE!

Primal Groudon switches into Kyogre -> Kyogre Mega Evolves and uses Surf/Origin Pulse
Groudon best Kyogre check y/n

If Kyogre hasn't Mega Evolved and you can't confirm it's Scarf then you really can't be switching in Primal Groudon.
lol

On topic though, I'm really excited about ORAS, I can't wait to play it! I think Rayquaza will get some sort of Primal Devolution too, because I'm pretty sure Primal Groudon and Kyogre have had this rivalry for many, many ages, so (Primal) Rayquaza had to exist to stop them, right?

I was seeing M-Gallade movepool and if the ability was that huge of a problem for someone then it could use Skill Swap. It would be fun to have an Azumarill switch into M-Gallade and then Skill swap on the switch and have a Huge Power M-Gallade or whatever feels to switch into it so many possibilities!!

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Given the way the new weathers activate in the trailers - from clear sky to new weather condition - I think it's pretty given that Primal Devolution occurs outside of battle. It seems Groudon and Kyogre switch in already Primally Devolved, and their abilities affect the weather upon switch-in. It could also be that they Primally Devolved earlier in the battle, switched out and switched in again, of course, but I find that a little contrived.

Anyway, the two would completely break any meta if they were allowed alongside other Mega Evolutions, so I think Primal Devolution works in a way preventing Mega Evolution from occuring. My guess is that they use the Mega Bangle itself for Primal Devolution, deactivating it or otherwise neutralizing it. I can envision a setup where Groudon/Kyogre can only be Mega Evolved when you have them in your team, so they revert when being deposited in the PC. As long as they're around, you can't Mega Evolve any other Pokémon. Not really sure how it would work with the new moves and all, but I guess anything is on the table.

If Primal/Mega/Normal Rayquaza does get Air Lock, it should be edited so it also stops weather from starting - the Primals can't just switch in and start weatjer up. I really do hope it gets some sort of Windstorm thing that also stops people from starting weather - Rayquaza is supposed to be the master of Kyogre and Groudon. They shouldn't just be able to stop it with the power of switching.

Given the way the new weathers activate in the trailers - from clear sky to new weather condition - I think it's pretty given that Primal Devolution occurs outside of battle. It seems Groudon and Kyogre switch in already Primally Devolved, and their abilities affect the weather upon switch-in. It could also be that they Primally Devolved earlier in the battle, switched out and switched in again, of course, but I find that a little contrived.

Anyway, the two would completely break any meta if they were allowed alongside other Mega Evolutions, so I think Primal Devolution works in a way preventing Mega Evolution from occuring. My guess is that they use the Mega Bangle itself for Primal Devolution, deactivating it or otherwise neutralizing it. I can envision a setup where Groudon/Kyogre can only be Mega Evolved when you have them in your team, so they revert when being deposited in the PC. As long as they're around, you can't Mega Evolve any other Pokémon. Not really sure how it would work with the new moves and all, but I guess anything is on the table.
The scenes of GK have text saying "Groudon/Kyogre reverted to its primal form."

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
POKEMON: (Other)
And finally for the Pokemon section they've put up bios for Zigzagoon, Poochyena, Taillow, Wingull, and Wurmple... I think we'll skip that. Though I did look through each one and for some reason Poochyena cycles through the same 2 images 4 times for a total of 8 images...

Oh, you may be skipping me now, but you won't be able to skip me while surfing, MUAHAHAHA!

CHARACTERS:

For right now I'm going to skip over Team Magma and Team Aqua as a very notable thing has changed about them which is talked about later. However that doesn't mean we have no one to talk about here:

Wally:
Wally is a Trainer who grows in the hope of catching up to you. This young man lives with his parents in Petalburg City. Shy, even meek, Wally speaks rarely and takes care to be polite.
Wally's partner Pokémon is Ralts, the first Pokémon he ever caught. With Ralts at his side, he will put his full effort into strengthening himself as a Trainer.
Wally becomes a Mega Evolution user, wearing a Mega Pendant that is outfitted with a Key Stone of his own.
You’ll encounter another never-before-seen Mega Evolution in the Hoenn region. Wally’s Pokémon Ralts will evolve as it grows, and as its bonds with Wally likewise deepen, it will gain the ability to Mega Evolve!

My Opinion: This is really just an obseration on his Mega Pendant. It looks like he probably won't get it until the very end of the game, or at least the final time you battle him before facing the Elite Four (though I'm sure you'll be able to battle him post game somewhere). Also I was hoping to see an in-battle shot of him to see whether he opens his jacket or not. I'm guessing until he gets his Mega Pendant they'll use the above artwork when he does that's when he starts battling open jacket. That or they may change his artwork each time to show him progressively becoming more and more stronger. Or they could give him a model and animate his development, but now I'm asking too much for them to give an important character an in-game battling model...

COOL FEATURES:
Global Link & Bank:
First off, the Pokemon Global Link and Pokemon Bank will be made to support Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire. Surprise? No? Good, because that was obviously going to happen. Looks like they share the same account too so you're still only limited to 100 boxes/3000 Pokemon in your Pokemon Bank (okay, has anyone actually filled up all 3,000 space in their bank? And I mean honestly, not going to Route 1 and going on a catching spring until you fill up the Pokemon Bank). I don't think you'd fill it up even if you catch all existing Pokemon plus all possible alternate forms (EXCEPT for Spinda) including Shiny.

Special Demo Version:
Really? You're calling this a "version"? *sigh
Anyway, so there's a few things that it mentions about this demo:

1. It says we'll encounter familiar Pokemon that can Mega Evolve (plural), and then says we can bring this Pokemon into our full game (singular). So will there be multiple Mega Pokemon or just the one? Or will we be given one Mega Pokemon and have that battle other Mega Pokemon? I'm guessing the latter, though that makes me curious what Mega Pokemon we'll be battling against? The screenshot shows us battling against Tabitha and Matt, so maybe there will be a battle against Maxie and Archie with their Mega Pokemon?

2. Not only will there be that one Mega Pokemon we could bring over, but we'll be rewarded items upon completing the demo which we can bring over. Now I'm going to assume these items are little things like potions, pokeballs, repels, you know, one-use items that you'll mainly use early in your adventure. Course it would be neat if they gave you stuff like one each of the type-boosting items, a Lucky Egg, a Amulet Coin, etc. to give you a better head start (and will want you to play the demo over and over again, if the changing scenario wasn't enough for you). I'm curious if you'll get an item each time? How many items do you get rewarded each time? Are there secret hidden items? Suddenly this demo is becoming a bit more complex in my mind, probably more complex than it'll actually be but still the possibility of what they can do and are offering is becoming very interesting.

3. So everyday the scenario will change, which is very interesting and makes me wonder if the screenshots are all there to be shown. So far the screenshots only show Mossdeep City (which is looking BEAUTIFUL!), but if you look at some of the in-battle screenshots it shows a lot of other kinds of battling environments which makes me think that maybe we'll not be limited to just Mossdeep City and be transported all around Hoenn. That would actually sort of justify them calling this a "version" if we pretty much got a tour of Hoenn and see a bit of what it has to offer and make it even more worth it to play everyday!

4. And finally, being they mentioned familiar Pokemon becoming Mega Pokemon:

LIKEZ, OMG! MEGA SLAKOTH, LINOONE, NOSEPASS, & LOUDRED CONFURMED!!1!

Okay, now I'm REALLY excited for the demo! Even if we don't ever leave Mossdeep City, it's still cool that each day there will be different scenarios and not only will we be getting free items for it but also a Mega Pokemon! Take not game industry, THIS is how you do a game demo to get people excited for your game!

Gen VI already gave us a mega Loudred: Boomburst Exploud.

Now that my excitement over Primal Ground has somewhat died down, I'd like to share my first impressions after seeing the new megas for the first time in action:

Mega Camerupt looked better than I thought. Too bad it won't see much use outside of TR, since its weaknesses, even though few, are easily exploitable.

Mega Sharpedo, on the other hand, looked boring. It's just a regular sharpedo with a bigger snout and (unnecessary) stuff all over its body. I think it's ability is excellent, though. I've used a Sharpedo recently and was surprised at how strong its Crunch and Waterfall were. Strong Jaws boosted Crunch coming off an even higher attack will be scary. Though it won't matter anyway since unability to deal with priority is going to prevent it from seeing much use in the higher tiers.

Mega Gallade looked amazing. I'm still not over the fact it got Inner Focus. With a good ability and over 100 speed, it could've become a top sweeper. I'm sure it'll still be usable and perhaps even good, but it'll certainly lack that little something that make the good great.

16 Gen 3 Megas, 18 if you count Latis. Not counting Primals.
I think that's a little too much now tbh. I think Milotic and Flygon should be the only other Hoenn 'mon to get Megas if any at all, because yeah I know this is the Hoenn remake, but... it's getting a little out of hand imo.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
STORY:
First thing first, in the Story section of STORY (now saying it that sounds a bit odd...) they for some reason put a "NEW" tag on the Starter post which they've already had up. And it's not like they added new info, as far as I know it's still the same. But this isn't why we're here...

Team Magma & Team Aqua:

Okay Pokemon fans, can you tell me what Team Magma and Team Aqua's motivation is? "Magma wants to make more land ad Aqua wants to expand the seas". Yes, that's what they're planning on doing, but why are they doing this? "Because, umm... they just want to"?

And that's been a problem with them for years now. We know what they want to do, but why? Okay, they do sort of give us a vague reason of more land means more places to build houses an more sea means... we can live on boats... okay, Team Aqua's plan never really made any sense to me. HOWEVER they have tried fixing this as now they've given both Team Magma and Team Aqua a clear motivation and theme: MAN VS. NATURE! Or rather, humanity vs. Pokemon!

Team Magma: Team Magma is an organization that plots to increase the landmass on the planet, effectively adding to the area upon which humanity can labor to achieve even greater evolution and development. Believing that humanity's development will lead to greater happiness for all the world, the members of Team Magma think that laboring for the equal coexistence of humanity and Pokémon is a foolish idea that serves only to hold back humanity’s progress.
Team Aqua: Team Aqua is an organization that plots to increase the size of the oceans in an effort to bring back the rich habitats lost to Pokémon due to humanity’s greed. The ocean is the font of all life, and by restoring it, the members of Team Aqua think that they can recreate an ideal home for Pokémon.

Got that? So basically Team Magma is for humanity and Team Aqua is for Pokemon. Okay, Team Aqua's plan still makes no sense as not all Pokemon are Water-types, but hey, at least its a motivation of some kind! And with that they've also expanded a bit on the leaders and admins:

Team Magma:
Leader Maxie:
Maxie is the leader of Team Magma, the team seeking a world ideal for humanity. He pays attention to even the smallest of details, and is quite sensitive in some regards. He has a habit of describing situations in numerical terms. He possesses a cool-headed outlook, thinking that some sacrifices cannot be avoided if he is to achieve his goals. Maxie is a Mega Evolution user, and he wears a pair of Mega Glasses, set with a mysterious Key Stone needed to Mega Evolve his Pokémon.

Admin Tabitha: Tabitha normally has a benign expression on his face, but when he gets worked up, his eyes become shrewd and his gaze is as sharp as a knife. His natural inclination to be helpful has apparently made him very popular with the Grunts. There are rumors that he has his sights set on becoming the leader of Team Magma.

Admin Courtney: Courtney is a former scientist. She is known to have a brilliant mind, and she adores Maxie. She does not speak often, and shows little interest in much of what goes on around her—or even her own situation. Her personality is such that once her interest in someone or something is awakened, she will pursue it tirelessly. As you stand in Team Magma's way time and again, she begins to take an interest in you...

Team Aqua:
Leader Archie:
Archie is the leader of Team Aqua, a man with an unwavering heart who seeks to build an ideal home for Pokémon. His big-hearted and stirring personality has won him deep loyalty from his subordinates. But he is also a dangerous figure, not caring what happens to himself or his team as long as he can achieve his goals. Archie is a Mega Evolution user and he wears the Mega Anchor, set with a mysterious Key Stone, needed to Mega Evolve his Pokémon.

Admin Shelly: Shelly could be described as the brains of Team Aqua. Her style and her attitude may both seem extreme, but her intelligence, her blunt personality, and her dynamism have won her many fans among the members of Team Aqua.

Admin Matt: Matt's huge body, like that of a wrestler, holds a powerful will. He owes a debt to Archie, who once saved him, and he is loyal to his savior to the very depths of his heart. He has adopted Archie's ideals as his own, and he is ready to sacrifice his own life if it would help to make them a reality.

My Opinion: Now I've been a bit critical to the new designs. To quickly sum it up, the grunt look fine (though Aqua's look a bit funny with their white and blue striped socks), Maxie looks fine (giving him glasses kind of makes him look a bit better, actually), Courtney looks fine, Tabitha I'm confused why they made fat, Matt I first thought was odd but now thinking about it he actually looks perfectly fine, Archie what the hell are you and the rest Aqua admin wearing, and finally WHAT DID YOU DO TO SHELLY? So yeah, they're either fine or WHAT THE HELL? to me and has made me a bit less excited to see them again.
However this new info on them has me interested in them again. They actually now have goals and each of the "bosses" now have a defined personality! Maxie's a socipathic nerd, Tabitha is Starscream, Courtney is a fanatic Maxie fangirl, Archie is a suicidal activist, Shelly is an idol, and Matt is a loyal to Archie which he as a mancrush for. Okay, I'm just being snarky now, but I do like the stories they've gave them and they sort of fit with the new theme of humanity vs. Pokemon they're now going for. Sadly I think the girls get the lesser end of the stick here, we're pretty much told they're just smart with Courtney being very focuses and Shelly being loved by the grunts. Tabitha's story sounds interesting with him wanting to become the leader of Team Magma. Matt's story sounds REALLY interesting with Archie having saved his life and I'm hoping they go into more detail about that, as well as with Tabitha's story. They also tried their best to not only make Maxie and Archie opposite of each other, but also show that they are a bit insane (in the original games they acted like a normal people which makes you wonder why they were doing this, but in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire they've made it pretty clear that neither are thinking with a straight head which makes them a danger to EVERYONE, including themselves and their loyal followers). This is what I want to see in what's suppose to be an update on a previous told story, them taking what was already there and expanding upon it and changing very little. While I still disagree with the design choices (seriously, what was wrong with Shelly's older look?), this is one change, or rather addition, which I like!

PHEW! Got through all that... and now it's time to go back through the posts and comment on things.

Last edited:
My biggest disappointment, despite all these recent revelations, is that Metagross's Mega Stone is called Metagrossite and not the Metanite.

Seriously, though, I noticed that the CoroCoro Mega Sharpedo has spikes, while the regular one does not. I don't think anyone pointed that out yet... Anyway, I agree with that little change. I didn't like the spikes before, for some reason I can't point out. They just irked me.

Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre's abilities remind me a little bit of that old tale that went a little like this:

An armorer of Chu boldly claims to make the best spears and shields.
"My shields are so strong; they cannot be penetrated by any weapon," he said.
"My spears are so sharp; they can pierce any shield," he further said.

A man asks, "If your spear is thrown at your shield, what then?"
The armorer had no reply.

By logic, both an unpenetrable shield and an all-piercing spear can not exist at the same time.

Does Heavy Rain overwrite Harsh Sunlight? Or will Harsh Sunlight stay until Groudon switches out? Once again, all the answers have been revealed to me.

Last edited:
Oh that's sorta cool how they got the story a bit more fleshed out. Sorta would have liked to have the big Guy in my run of Omega Ruby. I do wonder if we will see them as the sorta good guys when trying to stop the opposing team or if they will still be a little insane then too.

I think that's a little too much now tbh. I think Milotic and Flygon should be the only other Hoenn 'mon to get Megas if any at all, because yeah I know this is the Hoenn remake, but... it's getting a little out of hand imo.
I'm sure GF will start handing more Megas out to Pokemon from other generations as time goes on. Besides, you can look at it this way: giving so many Megas to Gen III Pokemon now only reduces the number of Gen III Megas GF can make in the future.

Also, while we can't really predict how GF decides to hand out Megas, we do know that they at least tend to give Megas to the "more popular" Pokemon. If were to take a look at what Pokemon in Gen III might be regarded as the most popular (based on relevance to plot, screen time in anime, etc), we would have:

The Starters
Gardevoir
Sableye (Due to Pokemon Sunday and many cameos in movies.)
Sharpedo
Camerupt
Flygon (Jirachi movie? And it's clear GF likes this thing given its advertisement.)
Milotic
Absol (Movies and specials.)
Salamence
Metagross

That's already 12 Pokemon. Of these 12, only 2 of them don't have Megas yet.

I wouldn't be so upset at the plethora of Gen III Megas, because it really was an expected move on GF's part, given how many significant Pokemon are from Gen III. And then don't forget things like Mawile, which probably got a Mega because it was Sableye's counterpart.

At least, once ORAS comes out, GF will have pretty much exhausted giving Megas to the popular Pokemon of Gen III, meaning the number of Gen III Megas in say Gen 7 and onwards will probably be pretty small.

While I adore the expanded story, this does leave me confused as to how Maxie is able to utilize Mega Evolution since it's made clear he does not give a shit about Pokémon and would rather get rid of them all for Humanity.
Like I thought giving them both megas was justified at first since I thought each of their goals was for the sake of Pokémon but DAMN Maxie.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Hmm, yeah, maybe they are starting to spread the Mega Pokemon on a bit too much, especially for a remake. And of course you have to wonder what they plan on doing for XY with all these new Mega Pokemon. Are they going to patch them when OR&AS are released?

If Primal/Mega/Normal Rayquaza does get Air Lock, it should be edited so it also stops weather from starting - the Primals can't just switch in and start weatjer up. I really do hope it gets some sort of Windstorm thing that also stops people from starting weather - Rayquaza is supposed to be the master of Kyogre and Groudon. They shouldn't just be able to stop it with the power of switching.
True, maybe that'll be a better upgrade to Airlock then what I suggested.

Can someone tell me what move this is?
If you go to the main site they'll tell you what moves I showed in captions under the picture.
I'd like to see a physical signature Flying STAB more for Ray, maybe accompanied by a special signature flying STAB. Ray attacks from both ends of the spectrum after all.

Land, sea, and sky. I can't wait to replay my favorite games
Hmm, maybe they can make a single move that uses the user's highest offensive stat and the target's lowest defensive stat.

To be fair I said that as a joke. Kyogre using physical moves is funny and Kyogre using physical moves on something with Groudon's physical bulk is even funnier. Under Extremely Harsh Sun, Ice Beam is Primal Kyogre's best option (assuming current move pools) it does the same or more damage and lets you invest fully in sp.atk instead of being mixed.

As for all your Rayquaza speculation I was kind of thinking a Dragon type signature move (no more outrage plz) but Flying could be cool too. While we're wildly speculating what if Primal Rayquaza brings a WHOLE NEW type of weather? Like a new ability called "Primeval Atmosphere" that starts up a "Wind Storm" weather condition with all kinds of boons to Levitate and Flying types? I'd be more excited to see that then something like mixing weather types or altering their effects (though that's possible too)
Oh, right, I forgot to check their stats before making my statement. Yeah, with these Abilities active they don't really have a type advantage cover for the other of their preferred offensive stat. I suppose Groudon using Earthquake/Precipice Blades and Kyogre using Ice Beam probably is the best route to go for each of them. Maybe it's even better that way, though Groudon has the slight advantage with getting STAB but maybe Kyogre could get lucky with a Freeze.

Okay, so combing this with ssjjynx how about a Physical Dragon-type move and a Special Flying-type move as Rayquaza's two new hypothetical signature moves? :D

The Xerneas and Yveltal 3Ds came with the game preloaded right?
They had BETTER release these in the US! Take my money
*sigh* I wished they were but sadly I doubt it. For some reason PUSA are TERRIBLE at bringing over special Japanese promotions and events. :(

IIRC Meteor Mash (Comet Punch in JP) isn't boosted by Iron Fist, so I doubt it.
I think you're thinking of Sucker Punch which doesn't get boosted as it's Japanese name is "Surprise Attack". Also, though Meteor Mash does get boosted, no Pokemon that learns Meteor Mash can have Iron Fist.

Heat Crash is where it's at.
OMG, Groudon with Heat Crash? That would be devastating! Though would Ground be nimble enough to do Heat Crash? If not, it can always get... hmm... okay, Fire-type need WAY more physical moves that doesn't involve being agile/speedy too.

If Primal Groudon is holding leftoves then Primal Kyogre is holding Choice Specs. I think it a safe assumption to guess primal forms take up your item slot.
Umm, they can't hold items as they'll be holding their Mega/Primal/Whatever Stones.

Mega Castform confirmed.
And while we're at it give it a Sandstorm form.

AND that's as far back as I'll go, gotta eat supper now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)