ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I see the reasoning for the balances between P-Groudon with its Ground/Fire typing and P-Kyogre. It all depends on who has the active weather. They Balanced P-Groudon in a way that if its weather is up, Kyogre can't attack it with it's main STAB. However, on the flip side, thanks to its Ground/Fire typing if Kyogre has the active ability, it will OHKO Groudon easily with a 4x effective water move which Kyogre has no shortage of. At first it seemed like the cards were all given to P-Groudon, but that is only if one assumes P-Groudon will always have its weather up which won't always be the case.

Primal Groudon and Kyogre scare me a little. Groudon definitely got the better ability, changing a x4 weakness to an immunity in singles and also giving that same benefit to others on your team in Doubles and Triples, being a great partner to things like Rhyperior. Though Primal Kyogre is definitely a great partner to Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Forrtress.
They are nicely balanced. One will have the edge of the other if their weather is up, with Kyogre able to spam Rain-boosted STAB x4 Super Effective attacks at Groudon and Groudon able to spam instant Solarbeams. Wait, that's more or less what already existed, except that Groundon is x4 weak now...

I really like Mega Gallade's design better now that I've seen it move in 3D. Dat cape.

*sigh* I wished they were but sadly I doubt it. For some reason PUSA are TERRIBLE at bringing over special Japanese promotions and events. :(
Unlike normal super special awesome GB/DS/3DSes, these are just snap on cases, meaning you could just buy them on the internet for your own New 3DS.

Oh, right, I forgot to check their stats before making my statement. Yeah, with these Abilities active they don't really have a type advantage cover for the other of their preferred offensive stat. I suppose Groudon using Earthquake/Precipice Blades and Kyogre using Ice Beam probably is the best route to go for each of them. Maybe it's even better that way, though Groudon has the slight advantage with getting STAB but maybe Kyogre could get lucky with a Freeze.
Here's what I love about Primal Groudon: it can't be frozen in the sunlight. Take that Kyogre! Not only you're forced to use unstabed Ice Beam, but you can't even freeze.

And what if Primal Kyogre managed to win the weather war and it's raining heavily? Then I don't think you should be using Ice Beam (unless your opponent has Quagsire/Gastrodon in their team and you predict a switch, but that's very specific and a bold move anyway, since you'd be exposing your Primal Kyogre to a strong EQ).

So, guys, good news Primal Groudon is not only immune to burn and TWave, but it's also virtually immune to Freeze, since it'll take a brave (and lucky) Primal Kyogre Rayquaza (?)/Primal Rayquaza (?) to use IB/Blizzard and freeze it.

Here's what I love about Primal Groudon: it can't be frozen in the sunlight. Take that Kyogre! Not only you're forced to use unstabed Ice Beam, but you can't even freeze.

And what if Primal Kyogre managed to win the weather war and it's raining heavily? Then I don't think you should be using Ice Beam (unless your opponent has Quagsire/Gastrodon in their team and you predict a switch, but that's very specific and a bold move anyway, since you'd be exposing your Primal Kyogre to a strong EQ).

So, guys, good news Primal Groudon is not only immune to burn and TWave, but it's also virtually immune to Freeze, since it'll take a brave (and lucky) Primal Kyogre Rayquaza (?)/Primal Rayquaza (?) to use IB/Blizzard and freeze it.
Watch D-Dance Waterfall Rayquaza be a thing if Air Lock negates super weather.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Oh that's sorta cool how they got the story a bit more fleshed out. Sorta would have liked to have the big Guy in my run of Omega Ruby. I do wonder if we will see them as the sorta good guys when trying to stop the opposing team or if they will still be a little insane then too.
I'm sure GF will start handing more Megas out to Pokemon from other generations as time goes on. Besides, you can look at it this way: giving so many Megas to Gen III Pokemon now only reduces the number of Gen III Megas GF can make in the future.

Also, while we can't really predict how GF decides to hand out Megas, we do know that they at least tend to give Megas to the "more popular" Pokemon. If were to take a look at what Pokemon in Gen III might be regarded as the most popular (based on relevance to plot, screen time in anime, etc), we would have:

The Starters
Gardevoir
Sableye (Due to Pokemon Sunday and many cameos in movies.)
Sharpedo
Camerupt
Flygon (Jirachi movie? And it's clear GF likes this thing given its advertisement.)
Milotic
Absol (Movies and specials.)
Salamence
Metagross

That's already 12 Pokemon. Of these 12, only 2 of them don't have Megas yet.

I wouldn't be so upset at the plethora of Gen III Megas, because it really was an expected move on GF's part, given how many significant Pokemon are from Gen III. And then don't forget things like Mawile, which probably got a Mega because it was Sableye's counterpart.

At least, once ORAS comes out, GF will have pretty much exhausted giving Megas to the popular Pokemon of Gen III, meaning the number of Gen III Megas in say Gen 7 and onwards will probably be pretty small.
And with Gen III Pokemon having a lot of Mega Evolutions maybe next game, if they release more Mega Evolutions, they can start focusing on Gen V and Gen VI Pokemon who only have 1 Mega Pokemon each.

While I adore the expanded story, this does leave me confused as to how Maxie is able to utilize Mega Evolution since it's made clear he does not give a shit about Pokémon and would rather get rid of them all for Humanity.
Like I thought giving them both megas was justified at first since I thought each of their goals was for the sake of Pokémon but DAMN Maxie.
Well Maxie doesn't want to kill Pokemon, he just think its foolish to fine a way to not harm their environment if it holds back humanity's development. Think of it like a food business clearing forests and jungles to make more room to grow crops or raise cattle. The CEO doesn't hate animals, in fact he's a lover of cats, but he's not going to let an animal stand in is way of making more money. It's similar here. Maxie wants to expand land for people even though it would disrupt Pokemon habitat. It's not like he doesn't like Pokemon, in fact he's a lover of Fire- and Ground-types like Camerupt (two types would would benefit from there being less water), but he's not going to let some Pokemon get in the away helping humanity. So he can still form a strong bond with his Camerupt, but that may be the only Pokemon he can do it with, like give him a Blastoise or Gyarados and he'll hate them (they'd probably have a pretty good Frustration, but not be able to Mega Evolve according to the context of the game).

I'm using Mega Gallade solely to watch his animation.
Badass incoming:

*facepalm* forgot you can't freeze in sunlight. Welp, I guess Kyogre would just have to win the (TOTALLY) Extreme Weather war to win... which can be said about Groudon. So basically whoever gets their weather up wins. Not really balancing things but more making it into a coin flip.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Is there any trends in the way GF does their eving for trailers and media events? The reason I ask is because Primal Don has 100 HP EVs and Kyogre has max HP EVs if they retain their base 100 HP stats. I dunno it was just something curious I noticed.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Is there any trends in the way GF does their eving for trailers and media events? The reason I ask is because Primal Don has 100 HP EVs and Kyogre has max HP EVs if they retain their base 100 HP stats. I dunno it was just something curious I noticed.
HP doesn't change in Mega Evolution so they still have 100 HP each.

My guess they max the Pokemon they're using and min the Pokemon they're attacking, you know, make the Pokemon they're advertising look as good as possible.

Both pokemon are attacking. Groudon has 366 Hp while Kyogre has 404, weird but nothing out of the possibilities. I agree it's odd they decided to run different EVs on each one.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
That is the thing, Groudon wasn't maxed. Otherwise I would say you are right.
Experienced Staff Member: "Okay just finished with the Kyogre trailer, how are you doing with the Groudon?"
Intern: "Just finishing up"
*shows footage to ESM*
ESM: "Huh? Groudon's HP is kind of low"
Intern: "366 HP is low?"
ESM: "No, *sigh* Groudon's has the same base HP as Kyogre and when I edited my video Kyogre had 404 HP. What did you set Groudon's IVs at?"
Intern: "I didn't set them at anything."
ESM: "You're using a random generated Groudon?"
Intern: "Well, yeah, when you play the games that's what you get"
ESM: "Yeah, when someone is plaything through the game, but we're advertising it. Give it max IVs and set the opponent with min IVs if you haven't."
Intern: "Why? No matter what Groudon is going to OHKO Blaziken with a super effective, STAB, high powered attack off its huge Attack stat. Kind of overkill really"
ESM: "*sigh* Fine, but it's your head if people on the internet complain."
Intern: "Oh please, who's going to actually spend time doing the math to figure out what IVs a Pokemon in the trailers have and complain that Kyogre is max HP and Groudon isn't?"
ESM: "I don't know, the internet is weird. I've seen people write out whole sketches of what they think the thought process behind some things are even though they have no clue how these things work."
Intern: "That guys sounds like a loser."
ESM: "I know, right? Probably even tries being meta by doing self-referential humor and insulting himself."
Intern: "That stuff isn't funny if you're trying so hard. Probably goes on a real long time with his sketches too despite the joke being over and done 3 or 4 sentences ago."

... Okay, I think I should stop right there...

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Experienced Staff Member: "Okay just finished with the Kyogre trailer, how are you doing with the Groudon?"
Intern: "Just finishing up"
*shows footage to ESM*
ESM: "Huh? Groudon's HP is kind of low"
Intern: "366 HP is low?"
ESM: "No, *sigh* Groudon's has the same base HP as Kyogre and when I edited my video Kyogre had 404 HP. What did you set Groudon's IVs at?"
Intern: "I didn't set them at anything."
ESM: "You're using a random generated Groudon?"
Intern: "Well, yeah, when you play the games that's what you get"
ESM: "Yeah, when someone is plaything through the game, but we're advertising it. Give it max IVs and set the opponent with min IVs if you haven't."
Intern: "Why? No matter what Groudon is going to OHKO Blaziken with a super effective, STAB, high powered attack off its huge Attack stat. Kind of overkill really"
ESM: "*sigh* Fine, but it's your head if people on the internet complain."
Intern: "Oh please, who's going to actually spend time doing the math to figure out what IVs a Pokemon in the trailers have and complain that Kyogre is max HP and Groudon isn't?"
ESM: "I don't know, the internet is weird. I've seen people write out whole sketches of what they think the thought process behind some things are even though they have no clue how these things work."
Intern: "That guys sounds like a loser."
ESM: "I know, right? Probably even tries being meta by doing self-referential humor and insulting himself."
Intern: "That stuff isn't funny if you're trying so hard. Probably goes on a real long time with his sketches too despite the joke being over and done 3 or 4 sentences ago."

... Okay, I think I should stop right there...
You should have stopped at "the Internet is weird", the rest is overkill and being meta isn't always funny (it can actually being really annoying).

Back on topic, I'm loving these trailers and they're doing a really good job of keeping us hyped. Mega Gallade's transformation animation is super boss, they've redeemed Groudon, and Mega Sharpedo and Camerul both look a lot better as 3D models. The only thing that would make this better would be more Gen V Megas.

And maybe Mega Darkrai. Plz based GF

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
You should have stopped at "the Internet is weird", the rest is overkill and being meta isn't always funny (it can actually being really annoying).

Back on topic, I'm loving these trailers and they're doing a really good job of keeping us hyped. Mega Gallade's transformation animation is super boss, they've redeemed Groudon, and Mega Sharpedo and Camerul both look a lot better as 3D models. The only thing that would make this better would be more Gen V Megas.

And maybe Mega Darkrai. Plz based GF
Sorry, I would have stopped there but I didn't want anyone on here to think I'm insulting them so I added the bit at the end to insult myself to show no hard feelings.

If they make Mega Darkrai they also would have to make a Mega Cresselia that's Psychic/Fairy (I swear the only reason it wasn't made part Fairy-type is because they wanted Xerneas to right now be the sole Fairy-type Legendary (aside Arceus Pixie Plate)). As for Mega Gen V Pokemon, would like to see what they would do with a Mega Zoroark. But I think this is a topic for another board.

ok i don't care enough
POKEMON: (Mega Pokemon)

Descriptions:
Mega Camerupt:
The humps on its back have transformed into one large and very active volcano. Magma is constantly bubbling up from within its body. It has a deep hatred of water or any moisture, and has an explosive personality and a short temper. The volcano on its back erupts constantly in an effort to intimidate its foes.

Mega Sharpedo: The fangs in Mega Sharpedo's mouth have transformed, and the horns that have sprouted from its nose can be regrown countless times. The yellow patterns on its body are scars carved into it in battle. With explosive propulsion, it can exceed 125 mph in an instant.

Mega Gallade: Plates emerge on Gallade's arms, and the helmet and cape-like protrusions on its head and back give it a knightly appearance. When the situation demands, Mega Gallade can use its psychic power to reshape both arms into blades simultaneously, and fight using a dual-wielding style.

My Opinion: Already gave all my opinions before, though I will say it's nice they confirmed that Mega Gallade got a notable Attack AND Speed boost, so I think it will be faster than M-Medicham. So I think I'll just quickly talk about the description they give to the Mega Pokemon (which is sadly not in the games, they should really make a Mega Dex and put this flavor text in there, otherwise they only exist OUTSIDE of the games).
"I HATE WATER!" Okay M-Camerupt, CALM DOWN! No one wants to to take you near water... "I WILL KILL ALL WATER!" You can't kill water, M-Camerupt, it's an inanimate object... "DIE WATER DIE!" I liked you better when you were a normal Camerupt... Okay, enough of that. Wow, they essentially made M-Camerupt an EXTREME aquaphobe, almost to a psychotic level. I wonder if he would be racist to Water-types. Like he would sitting on his porch, his friendly neighbor Marill passes by and gives him a quick hello, and he would then start ranting and raving about how he was in the Magma-Aqua wars, how Water-types are ruining this region, yells out Water-type slurs, and everyone around him just shakes their head in sadness. Anyway nice for them to talk about the humps becoming one and being not just active, but "very" active. That "very" was important to include.
I wonder if anyone in GameFreak or the Pokemon Company noticed the missing nose horns they talked about is missing on the model. "Hey boss" "Yes" "What are those nose spikes the description talks about?" "What do you mean, the nose spikes is right there in the art" "Yeah, I see it there, but the in-game model don't have them" "... F#$%!". I'm sure when the game is released it would be fixed, but it just seems funny that on the official site they have a clear error for EVERYONE to see. Also for battle scars they are sure nicely positioned to make a even and symetical pattern.
Okay, I take every negative thing I said about M-Gallade back, it looks SO COOL in battle!
Though I don't know what they mean by using its psychic powers to reshape its arm into blades, THEY'RE ALREADY BLADES! Maybe they meant to say it uses its psychic powers to resharpen its blades?
unimportant stuff
I can just imagine it using its psychic powers to simultaneously sharpen them with floating pieces of flint with its arms crossed and glaring straight at the opponent LIKE A BOSS.
Also, it's kind of odd they forgot to mention a few evolutions. They didn't mention Numel for M-Camerupt, Carvanha for M-Sharpedo, nor Mega Gardevoir for Mega Gallade. The last one is most odd as you'd think they would quickly mention it (and maybe confirm if its Mega Stone would be in the game or not).

I am vengeance. I am the (k)night. I. AM. MEGA GALLADE!
This is just my take on the lore revolving around M-Gallade. the red protrusion sticking out of Gardevoir, M-Gardevoir and Gallade is meant to be a pseudo-psychic manifestation of their heart, right? Maybe the red extentions on M-Gallade's arms are a repositioning of his psychic-infused organs that he can crystallize/sharpen on cue.

How very chivalrous it would be of him, to wear his heart on his sleeve.

Last edited:
Mega Sharpedo is 8 foot tall? brb changin pants

So basically the primals get air lock + immunity to water/fire, and Primal Rayquaza will undoubtedly gain immunity to ice because lol

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I really, really wish GameFreak would take to sense and at least include Metric measurements as an option in their games. Honestly, there are two countries in the world still using Imperial, and half of them is freakin' Liberia. It's obvious that the designers set the Height and Weight stats in Metric (just look at a Bulbapedia article like this or this and see how many nice, round numbers there are in Metric compared to Imperial), then some moron transcribes it all to Imperial before the games ship - worldwide. What's wrong with a little toggle-able piece of code in the Options menu where preferences can be set? Even in the US, there has to be somebody who prefer to use sensible units and would like an option to have the game display distance or mass as such.

yeah imperial's a piece of shit, but daaaaamn megapedo (lol) still looks pretty big. I can just imagine Archie riding into battle on that thing; hella rad

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I really, really wish GameFreak would take to sense and at least include Metric measurements as an option in their games. Honestly, there are two countries in the world still using Imperial, and half of them is freakin' Liberia. It's obvious that the designers set the Height and Weight stats in Metric (just look at a Bulbapedia article like this or this and see how many nice, round numbers there are in Metric compared to Imperial), then some moron transcribes it all to Imperial before the games ship - worldwide. What's wrong with a little toggle-able piece of code in the Options menu where preferences can be set? Even in the US, there has to be somebody who prefer to use sensible units and would like an option to have the game display distance or mass as such.
Even most rulers have an imperial and metric side.

yeah imperial's a piece of shit, but daaaaamn megapedo (lol) still looks pretty big. I can just imagine Archie riding into battle on that thing; hella rad
I wouldn't say that, I see it more as a generic verse detailed. Imperial is generic and, to me at least, is a quick way to mention if something is big, small, average, very big, of very small. Of course I grew up with imperial so I know how big is a foot.

Besides, "size" in Pokemon should be taken very loosely to begin with.

http://www.serebii.net/orasgloballink.jpg
"Following yesterdays official reveal of the various bits of Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire information, a new clear image has come out that showcases the various features of the Pokémon Global Link in the new games. The aesthetics of the Global Link remain the same, but there are new features including the ability to upload photos you take during Pokémon Contest, and the game keeping track of the popular places to build Super Secret Bases. It also shows that Rating Battle Season 7 will begin and be compatible simultaneously with both X & Y and Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire. This also gives a hint of an upcoming Battle Competition called the Trainer Pokémon Battle, though this could just be for the sake of the image. The Global Link also confirms that there will be several days of downtime ahead of the release of Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire."
~Serebii

Not much, but it gives us quite a decent bit of information.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
http://www.serebii.net/orasgloballink.jpg
"Following yesterdays official reveal of the various bits of Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire information, a new clear image has come out that showcases the various features of the Pokémon Global Link in the new games. The aesthetics of the Global Link remain the same, but there are new features including the ability to upload photos you take during Pokémon Contest, and the game keeping track of the popular places to build Super Secret Bases. It also shows that Rating Battle Season 7 will begin and be compatible simultaneously with both X & Y and Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire. This also gives a hint of an upcoming Battle Competition called the Trainer Pokémon Battle, though this could just be for the sake of the image. The Global Link also confirms that there will be several days of downtime ahead of the release of Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire."
~Serebii

Not much, but it gives us quite a decent bit of information.
Photos of Pokemon Contests and counter for Secret Base locations, logical inclusions.

I hope they have a "Secret Base of the day" sort of thing where they will showcase someone else's Secret Base and give the QR code so that you can visit it.

Something that caught my eye is that the battle competition'll be compatible with both ORAS AND XY. So they're probably not going to make tournaments ORAS-only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)