Art Style

Which generation is your favourite in terms of graphics?

• Total voters

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I didn't pick Gen 6 here though because in my opinion most of the animations are a waste. They sort of just sit there and move slightly in place and in some cases on when searching them up on google it actually takes me a second to realize the sprite is actually animated.
That's kind of how idle animations work in video games, it's the same way with a lot of RPGs that use 3D models. Models look really bad if they stay still, worse than sprites do, so they have to make very slight animations to make them look "alive" but not doing anything. Some Pokemon lend themselves to idle animations better than others just due to their design. For example, a Pokemon with four limbs just standing doesn't really do much, but a flying Pokemon like Charizard will have a big animation like flapping its wings. Plus, the rips of the models you find online (on PS for example) don't account for extra animations that play when the Pokemon hasn't moved for a while (when the trainer hasn't put in a command), like when the Pokemon move their necks, open and close their mouths, etc. And when they attack, they are all very animated.

Also Gen 3 gets bonus points for Feraligatr's butt.
I agree with this.

I'll pick Gen VI. The transition to 3D was pretty well-done graphics-wise (Not so much gameplay-wise. Some overworld elements, like grid-based movement, are best left in 2D. That's for another thread, though), in fact being the only 3D Pokemon game in which I like its graphics. Just like any anime(sque) game, when getting 3D games, they should be cel-shaded. Ok, it is still rather new for videogames, but my train of thoughts stood since I first played Stadium - that "photorealistic" Pokemon models lack charm.

As a fan of sprite art ill go with gen 2 and 5 the pokemon just felt so complete at those points. There is ni contest for the bar that gen6 rose. But at their time they where glorious.

Replace "graphics" with "art style" and you have a much better question. Being a pedant here but the word "graphics" concerns polygons and textures, and then for any game series the most recent instalment wins.

So to answer the question celever was intending - I'm torn between RSE and XY. Pokemon X&Y is one of those rare games that couldn't be made to look better even if the graphical power of the system it was on were multiplied by a thousand. I'd say the same for RSE too but I'll just wait for the remake before making that judgment.

Pokemon X&Y is one of those rare games that couldn't be made to look better even if the graphical power of the system it was on were multiplied by a thousand.
It could be improved with better screen resolution (on the XL, it can be a bit pixelly, especially when 3D). But that's splitting hairs.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I voted for Pokemon Conquest gen V

Pokemon has always been a 2D game to me and works best that way. Gen VI's 3D models are gorgeous but they just don't feel 'pokemony' to me. The pixilated art of the old games is what gave them their charm, and BW did that while also looking cool and modern at the same time. A lot of the Pokemon looked much more menacing in their dark, shaded, almost jagged looking BW sprites, not to mention they were constantly moving which made them seem very dynamic, especially compared to the pre-gen V sprites. I also really enjoyed the overworld in BW a lot, with everything looking 3D while being set in 2D.

Gen III is a very close second for me though. I'm not sure how to describe it (probably just nostalgia getting the better of me) but the colours are very vibrant and everything looks very rounded and clean

But seriously Conquest had the coolest Pokemon/character art. I wish they'd make another one just for more art. Imagine a 3DS version omg

I like the models for the actual Pokemon probably in VI best, but by god is the overworld ugly. Black/White 2 I think had the best looking overworld in terms of graphics.

In Generation 5, they didn't make the pokémon just stand in their places or do stupid fancy things like what Hitmontop is doing now. The backsprites were bearable and their characteristic, powerful traits were captured perfectly, i mean:
Haxorus_XY.gif
Haxorus_BW.gif
Swoobat_XY.gif
528.gif
Salamence_XY.gif
Salamence_BW.gif
I know Salamence was altered for sky battles but this doesn't defy the fact that it was more menacing in BW.

Last edited:
GSC for me. The combination of top notch bit-like graphics combined with truly awesome coloring, motion and sprites makes it #1 for me. The uniqueness of everything is just too huge. I don't even have to play the game to enjoy it. In fact, I'm thinking about Azalea Town right now and I'm enjoying it already without even playing the game. Hell, I can even stare at a still image of any given moment in-game and enjoy it.

It's difficult for me to decide which Generation's graphics I would call my favourite. Not only can the quality of graphic styles vary greatly between games of the same Generation (e.g. Pokemon Pearl vs HGSS), but my 3 favourites also seem to be different and incomparable due to console limitations (which gave them both strong points and flaws).

Even though I only started playing Pokemon when I was already 18 years old, so nostalgia can hardly count as a contributing factor as I've never played this Generation Pokemon game, I really love Pokemon Crystal's spriteworks. It took me a while to notice them at first, because I usually only paid attention to the Generation that I was playing. At some point an artist pointed them out to me, and since that time I've started noticing their brilliance whenever I look up sprites/models of a Pokemon and glance over this game's artwork as well. I especially like the dynamic poses, and how most Crystal sprites just feel very 'spot on' for me.

When I played SoulSilver, my very first game, for the first time, I didn't really notice how amazing this game's graphics were. But then when I completed it, and played Pokemon Pearl, I realized that I had just been spoiled. Pearl was a pain to play through for me, especially because of the graphics. I kept longing for SoulSilver, my 'home'. Eventually I had to make the transition to Black and White, but it didn't connect quite as well. I disliked the animated sprites (especially the backsprites, as has been mentioned by someone else in this thread), and everything felt sort of 'cold' to me (but that could also be Unova instead of the graphics). HGSS looked seamless to me, and played seamless. Some of my favourite sprites are from that game, and certain/most places in the overworld were also marvellously done.

Generation 6 brought models instead of sprites, and while I was very sceptical about the graphics at first ('Why does everything have to be turned into 3D now??'), from the moment that I bought a 3DS and played XY for the first time, I fell in love with it (proof that love at first sight exists). While it is not quite as seamless as HGSS was, my enjoyment went up by 3 stages. Before, most of the games were about collecting for me. There was a plot, and there were characters, but I could never connect to them or the story. I now suspect that this was because it were just small overworld icons talking and sometimes pacing back and forth. I hardly felt any emotion from it. But now in the 6th Generation games, the characters have facial expressions and special mannerisms, and I can finally experience the story. I like most models, and the colours don't bother me at all, because I think it fits better with the way the rest of the game looks. There are some Pokemon that have had unfortunate transitions to a model instead of a sprite, but in the end it doesn't bother me or limit my enjoyment. There is one part of Kalos Route 10 that feels odd to me though, and I'm annoyed that I don't get why this was handled this way. Did someone's hand slip? Or am I just not looking at it the right way? It's the part where the sandy path stops and the part with the stones begins. The transition just feels so weird to me.

I love ORAS as well, but there are some things that I'm not sure about for this game as well. One is how Mt. Chimney looks when you're soaring (or in the intro scene). Two is the bar that displays specific kinds of game text, the one with the lazy red/blue gradient and blocky/pixely kinds of things on the side. I'm not going to take a picture of what I mean, but I can link to an image I found through Google that has part of the bar that I'm talking about.

In the end I voted for Generation VI, for being most consistent in quality between this Generation's games, for finally enabling me to care for the storyline and allowing me to get to know the characters better, for immersing me into the game thanks to more natural camera angles, and for looking lively and anime.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)