XY OU Please rate my Team

Hello everyone. I'm a new user of Smogon and it's a first time i posting in this thread so if i make any mistake please look it lightly.
I'm currently trying to breed a Shiny team for Battle Online in pokemon Y. After over 100 battlea it have some successful (win over 80%). But because the skill of player online is quite varies, so i decide to looking help with some exp player of Smogon here.
Anyway here is my team:

1.Greninja - Timid - Protean - Life Orb (Shiny)
IV: 31/31/31/31/18/31
EV: 4hp/252 sp.atk/252 spd
Moves: Hydro Pump - Ice Beam - Extrasensory- Dark Pluse

Your typical Greninja. I loved this guy since he can one-shot many Pokemon out there and it's shiny form just great. He's the one i usually lead the battle if i fell he can overpower half of enemy's team. I have a trouble deciding to used Dark Pulse or Grass Knot because he seem to wall easier by Water type, esp another Greninja. Or should i replace it with Spike? Which is better?

2. Infernape - Naive - Blaze - Life Orb (Shiny)
IV: 31/31/31/28/31/31
EV: 214atk /44sp.atk/252 spd
Moves: Close Combat - Fire Blast - Mach Punch - Grass Knot

Typical MixedApe. Not so fast as Greninja but still outspeed a lot pokemon out there. Fire/Fighting had great coverage this guy can take advantage of. I used to run Thunder Punch but since he don't have Iron Fist i decided to run Grass Knot instead to deal with some poke 4x weak to it. Infernape had two prioty move in Mach Punch and Fake Out so which is better? Mach Punch had stab but Fake Out can out speed most other can break Sash which is Ape worst enemy

3. Charizard - Adamant - Blaze - Charizarie X (Shiny)
IV: 31/3/31/31/31/31
EV: 4hp/252atk/252 spd
Moves: Dragon Claw - Flare Blitz - Earthquake - Dragon Dance

My setup sweeper here. Yes i know the IV attack leave a lot to desire but to hatch an shiny is not easier task and this is God RNG bless me so i used him. Anyway it's just play like anyone should. Find a way to get in, buff and sweep there after Greninja and Inferape weak or take out his counter. However he lost health to Flare blitz recoil quiky so i think may be better swap Roosts over EQ but it leave him lost to Ageislash easier and wall by some ballon steel type like Excadrill

4. Gyarados - Adamant - Intimidate - Lum Berry (Shiny)
IV: 6/31/31/31/31/31
EV: 4hp/252atk/252spd
Moves: Waterfall - Ice Fang - Dragon Dance - Taunt

My backup setup sweeper. She's excellent at dealing with some tricky pokemon that use nothing but status moves (Hi shuckle). Ice Fang is there to damage Grass and Dragon who but sadly there is no way of breaking throught bulky Water wall so i trying to replaced it but have no idea yet.

5. Talonflame - Adamant - Gale Wing - Choice Band (Shiny)
IV: 31/31/29/31/31/31
EV: 4hp/252 atk/252 spd
Moves: Flare Blitz - Brave Bird - Uturn - Tailwind

Typical revenge killer that clean up any thing Greninja or Inferape fail. Tailwind is there because i find nothing better. I had a trouble decide between this set and a Sword Dance - Roosts - Leftover set but due to the nature of my team and i already have two Setup sweeper here so i think it would best stick to revenge kill role. However this mark three fire type pokemon in the team and amply my SR weaknees so may be better if i switch another pokemon here. What's your opinions here?

6. Forrestress - Relax - Sturdy - Leftover
IV: 31/31/31/31/31/1
EV: 252hp/252def/4sp.def
Move: Stealth Rock - Spike - Rapid Spin - Gyro Ball

The only non Shiny in my team. Because my team have a HUGE weakness to SR so he is a must have. I usually leave him waiting if enemy have potental SR pokemon. If they have none, i used him as lead to lay down SR and Spike. He's the one i would switch in place of Greninja and Infernape if they have unflavor match up. Because the rest of my team quite resistant to Fire so switch him in quite easy and gain some moment to set up hazard. I buff him in physical tank to take physical hit better.

That's all i have. Hope to get some opinions from you guys. Thanks very much

Last edited:
Hello!
i apologize in advance for my incorrect english!

before even to start i think you would love more to have pokemon with 31 iv in the proper stats even if not shiny, but if you are fine with this... well go ahead but trust me there is a good improvment with haveing the correct stats at 31!

about moves.

1) i would actually put surf over hydro pump.
less damage but a move which actually always hits. You can use scald too.
i would say to put grass knot over extrasensory, so you can cover more with greninja.

2) instead of grass knot, what about thunder punch?
if you don't have this egg move ( since iirc you are planning to put this team on 3ds) you can use u-turn?

3)first i would tell you to move the 4 evs in HP into something like defense, so if for an unfortunate case forretress would be dead, you can always switch in charizard taking the less damage possible.
and i would say to remove fire blast ( which you already got with infernape) with a more powerfull flare blitz.

4) gyarados i think he's pretty fine

5) banded talon with tailwind? looks like pretty sacrifical... why not put roost instead and put life orb? you will be losing the 20% but you have the chance of healing yourself, or you can always put instead of u-turn sword dance and roost, to get an even greater benefit of its attack stats.
but if your propose is a suicidal tailwind i guess it's fine

6) forretress looks pretty fine, but considering that your team is pretty offensive, i think you could enjoy also a possible excadrill.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

this is a bit riskier then forretress, but if well played can be more rewarding.

right now i tried to give advice just on sets of pokemon, but actually i think the team lacks a bit of coverage, and can't actually stand some threats of OU.
i think you should change some pokemon in order to get a better coverage.

i hope i have been helpful!

Thanks for the reply.
The IV. Yes it's not incorrect in most case but because i'm try breeding a shiny team it's very hard to control this.
For Greninja i think Hydro Pump is the best for him. Yes it is true that i lost some battle because HP miss but it's the strongest move Greninja could use. He already had Stab Ice Beam as an accuracy move. Grass Knot is a decent to hit water but i think extrasensory need to deal with the tankier Mega Venusuar. May be i replace it over Dark Pulse
Infernape have ThunderPunch (egg move) but unfortune he don't have Iron Fist so a SE ThunderPunch (not count 4x) do roughtly same damage as normal Close Combat or Fire Blast so i use Grass Knot here
Charizard i used Flare Blitz on him not Fire Blast may be you mistaken
About you suggest replace forretress by Excadrill i think it's not that easy. Mainly because i need a tank who can take hit (other pokemon are pretty frail) but i absolute need Rapid Spin so offensive Excadrill who die easier may not fit the bill
And the 4ev leftover. Because i battle in game and the level is set to 50, 4ev is put to hp to get odd number Hp here

Last edited:
Well,

About greninja
Hydro Pump is a personal taste i guess, scald can help you even with burn and let eventual phisical pokemon to do less damage.
I think you can always use talonflame against a mega venusaur.

considering a phsical defensive venusaur
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Extrasensory vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Venusaur: 250-296 (68.6 - 81.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Venusaur: 294-348 (80.7 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
defensive after Stealth rock
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Extrasensory vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Venusaur: 250-296 (68.6 - 81.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Venusaur: 294-348 (80.7 - 95.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

considering a special defensive mega venusaur
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Extrasensory vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Mega Venusaur: 203-242 (55.7 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Mega Venusaur: 356-422 (97.8 - 115.9%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
considering a special defensive mega venusaur after stealth rock
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Extrasensory vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Mega Venusaur: 203-242 (55.7 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Mega Venusaur: 356-422 (97.8 - 115.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

that's why i said maybe it's better to replace extrasensory, talon is a safer option.

about infernape
ops sorry, i didn't see he hadn't iron fist , my fault! :3
but considering a pokemon which could be pretty letal to you team ( azumarill) and which its weight is pretty low, i guess grass knot could work with heavier pokemon, but thunder punch looks pretty nice too! :3

starting from the consideration that
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Infernape: 212-252 (72.3 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

212 Atk Life Orb Infernape Thunder Punch vs. 92 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 213-252 (58.5 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
44 SpA Life Orb Infernape Grass Knot (60 BP) vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 146-174 (40.1 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

so i would actually say that a non iron fist infernape works better against azumarill
212 Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Infernape Thunder Punch vs. 92 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 255-302 (70 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (just if you want to do again infernape)

about megazard x,
sorry you are right, i totally mistaken the move.
but about the evs... i used the calculator for lv 50 and this showed up, that's why i said about using the last 4 evs on defense.
http://imgur.com/AoOdJAK

about forretress,
as i stated before it is a personal choice.
i tought pretty much the same thing you said, but i said this if you needed a possibile alternative ^^

i hope i have been helpful!
and sorry for the 2 mistakes! :)

Yes it's true that my team weak to bulky Water type.
Thunder Punch can 2KO Azumarill but sadly Infernape lose 1vs1 again it (Aqua Jet KO it first)
And missing Grass Knot may lead the whole team to wall by Unaware Quagsire. May be i should replace Grass Knot over Dark Pulse on Greninja

I've had a few WiFi battles under my belt and I'd say that better stats > shiny (really cool if you get a 5-6IV Shiny though). I'd rather have a normal team with correct IVs especially in Speed and HP as both have a huge impact in game (Speed = Speed ties and HP = Hazard / LO recoil) rather than a team full of Shinies but don't have correct IVs. Anyways, I can see Defensive Rotom-W putting work against your team. I've got no real suggestion about how to go about it now, so yeah. I'm also not sure about Infernape tbh. As great a poke as it is (excellent mixed stats + great movepool), it's destroyed by Azu's Aqua Jet and ofc, Talonflame.

Overall, still a solid team! Good luck with those Shinies!

I've had a few WiFi battles under my belt and I'd say that better stats > shiny (really cool if you get a 5-6IV Shiny though). I'd rather have a normal team with correct IVs especially in Speed and HP as both have a huge impact in game (Speed = Speed ties and HP = Hazard / LO recoil) rather than a team full of Shinies but don't have correct IVs. Anyways, I can see Defensive Rotom-W putting work against your team. I've got no real suggestion about how to go about it now, so yeah. I'm also not sure about Infernape tbh. As great a poke as it is (excellent mixed stats + great movepool), it's destroyed by Azu's Aqua Jet and ofc, Talonflame.

Overall, still a solid team! Good luck with those Shinies!
All of my Shiny had 5IV and the other stat is quite high (except Charizard). Yes Rotom W is quite counter to this team but over 100 battle i never run into one so i complete forget about it (may be wifi battle people rarely used him)

i didn't say thi before, but what about a possible breelom instead of infernape?

i think this change could help you to resolve some problem such as azumarill or rotom-w.
and thanks to spore he can be useful for sleeping an opponent too.

i didn't say thi before, but what about a possible breelom instead of infernape?

i think this change could help you to resolve some problem such as azumarill or rotom-w.
and thanks to spore he can be useful for sleeping an opponent too.
Thank for your suggestion.
Trying to breed a breloom then to test then

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)