Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gots a question. Both drizzle and shadow tag are banned in uu and are only usable in OU and Ubers. So, why is it that Politoed, the drizzle poke is in PU, while Gothitelle, the shadow tag poke is in OU? Politoed is crap without it's ability, so it makes sense to be in PU, but Gothitelle is also bad without its ability, yet it sits in OU. Any reason why Gothitelle is not PU along with Politoed?

Gothitelle is (barely) OU by usage 45 | Gothitelle | 3.735% | and so can't be used in UU, while Drizzle Politoed is below the 3.41% cutoff | 49 | Politoed | 2.772% |, and since Drizzle is banned in UU and lower tiers, it's gone down to PU.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I gots a question. Both drizzle and shadow tag are banned in uu and are only usable in OU and Ubers. So, why is it that Politoed, the drizzle poke is in PU, while Gothitelle, the shadow tag poke is in OU? Politoed is crap without it's ability, so it makes sense to be in PU, but Gothitelle is also bad without its ability, yet it sits in OU. Any reason why Gothitelle is not PU along with Politoed?
Yeah so basically what Fourth Inversion said is correct. The usage based tier in which Politoed can use Drizzle is OU, and it doesn't get enough OU usage to be considered overused. Thus it dropped to UU, then RU, then NU, then PU. Gothitelle is similar; the only usage based tier in which in can use Shadow Tag is OU. However, unlike Politoed, it gets enough usage in OU to be considered Overused, so the rules of UU don't apply to its viability. If Gothitelle were to drop to UU, which is likely, it will likely end up like Politoed in PU. A more extreme case is Wobbufett, who is similarly useless without Shadow Tag, and is slowly dropping in tiers because of this. Gothitelle, Politoed, and Wobbuffet, thanks to UU's bans, are basically always between OU and PU.

For me it seems that most Pokémon have to be dual typed in order to perform their roles. Offensive Pokémon utilize their dual types for powerful STABs that may complement each other. Defensive Pokémon can either use their types in order to create quadruple resistances for good switch-in opportunities or they also could use their secondary type to patch up the weakness of their primary type or vice versa. However, I am wondering if that means Mono-typed Pokémon have no place competitively or at least as offensive powerhouses.

I have found a few exceptions though. Sylveon, for example, is a great Cleric that actually has offensive presence. It's Fairy typing grants it an immunity to Dragon along with key resistances to Fighting and Dark.

Suicune and Alomomola are stereotypically called bulky Water types. Good/Decent defenses, easy to cover up their weaknesses, and Scald spam. Water will never turn into a bad type.

Chansey is also a great Cleric, but her stat spread is ridiculous and she almost never utilizes her Normal typing except for when she switches into Shadow Balls. Which further weakens the argument that having only one type could be a bad thing.

Could anyone generate a small list of Mono-types that are good in OU or could work out decently in the tier if possible?

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
For me it seems that most Pokémon have to be dual typed in order to perform their roles. Offensive Pokémon utilize their dual types for powerful STABs that may complement each other. Defensive Pokémon can either use their types in order to create quadruple resistances for good switch-in opportunities or they also could use their secondary type to patch up the weakness of their primary type or vice versa. However, I am wondering if that means Mono-typed Pokémon have no place competitively or at least as offensive powerhouses.

I have found a few exceptions though. Sylveon, for example, is a great Cleric that actually has offensive presence. It's Fairy typing grants it an immunity to Dragon along with key resistances to Fighting and Dark.

Suicune and Alomomola are stereotypically called bulky Water types. Good/Decent defenses, easy to cover up their weaknesses, and Scald spam. Water will never turn into a bad type.

Chansey is also a great Cleric, but her stat spread is ridiculous and she almost never utilizes her Normal typing except for when she switches into Shadow Balls. Which further weakens the argument that having only one type could be a bad thing.

Could anyone generate a small list of Mono-types that are good in OU or could work out decently in the tier if possible?
Clefable, Mew, Chansey, Hippowdon, Manaphy, Alomomola, Sylveon, Politoed, Suicune, Tornadus-T, Raikou, Azelf, Conkeldurr, Alakazam, Manectric, Cresselia, Entei, & Gothitelle are all viable monotyped Pokemon.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head, you can have Mew, Gothilette, Cresselia, Hippowdon, Clefable, Alakazam, Tornadus, Politoed, Alomomola, Raikou and Manaphy (besides your example of Chansey and Sylveon)

EDIT: Forgot about Mienshao, Manectric and Entei

Last edited:
A good moveset for gothitelle with modest nature?

also ev spreads?
Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 92 HP / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Gothitelle's role is to mainly to check Venusaur, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Slowbro, and other walls to open up for another sweeper, so you want to be able to hit em hard. Trick is for Chansey and stuff that doesn't like being Choice-locked. 164 Spe allows you to outspeed CroCune and Choice-lock it (because if Suicune is faster than you before you Trick, he can switch moves next turn). There really isn't anything faster that Gothitelle beats, so 164 Spe is fine, and dump rest to HP.

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 92 HP / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Gothitelle's role is to mainly to check Venusaur, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Slowbro, and other walls to open up for another sweeper, so you want to be able to hit em hard. Trick is for Chansey and stuff that doesn't like being Choice-locked. 164 Spe allows you to outspeed CroCune and Choice-lock it (because if Suicune is faster than you before you Trick, he can switch moves next turn). There really isn't anything faster that Gothitelle beats, so 164 Spe is fine, and dump rest to HP.
i need other moves besides trick, and hidden power? any other suggestions

i need other moves besides trick, and hidden power? any other suggestions
Not using Trick makes Gothitelle rather mediocre imo because Shadow Tag + Trick is one of the biggest niche of Gothitelle. If you lack Trick, then it is best not to use Gothitelle. And not using Hidden Power means you fail to defeat Ferrothorn, which is a huge defensive threat you want to use Gothitelle to eliminate. If you lack HP Fire however, you can make do with Rest.

Not using Trick makes Gothitelle rather mediocre imo because Shadow Tag + Trick is one of the biggest niche of Gothitelle. If you lack Trick, then it is best not to use Gothitelle. And not using Hidden Power means you fail to defeat Ferrothorn, which is a huge defensive threat you want to use Gothitelle to eliminate. If you lack HP Fire however, you can make do with Rest.
so can you give me a 6 iv reuniculus moveset and ev spread then?

so can you give me a 6 iv reuniculus moveset and ev spread then?
Reuniclus is not that good in OU but it does have some niche as a Trick Room sweeper, or as a stallbreaker.
Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 196 HP / 64 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe (EV doesn't actually matter because barely anything is slower than Reuniclus anyway)
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
Set up Trick Room, sweep until you die, then bring in another Trick Room sweeper to abuse it. Usually only used on dedicated Trick Room teams though.
Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball / Focus Blast
Magic Guard + Recover makes it extremely hard for Stall to break through this Reuniclus. From there, just Calm Mind up and break down said Stall team. Be careful about Taunt though.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
What are the chances of a Mon with Skill Link getting at least 1 crit when using a Multi-Hit move?

What is the flinch rate if skill linkers are also holding King's rock? (Got screwed by shell smash cloyster due to the constant flinching >_>)

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
With King's Rock, each Skill Link attack has a 10% chance of flinching you, so pretty a fifty percent chance of getting flinched when coupled with the 1/3 chance of a crit.
THAT IS NOT HOW MATH WORKS

If that logic were true, than a hypothetical 11 hit move would have a 110% flinch chance. Anyone else see a problem with that?

The odds of flinching is 1-(9/10)^5, or 40.951%. That number is gotten because the odds of not flinching with 5 tries is 9/10 to the 5th power, and subtract from one to get the odds of it not happening.

Firebird101

slayerx725232

"to sea, or not to sea" ~Melodramatic Sailor
THAT IS NOT HOW MATH WORKS

If that logic were true, than a hypothetical 11 hit move would have a 110% flinch chance. Anyone else see a problem with that?

The odds of flinching is 1-(9/10)^5, or 40.951%. That number is gotten because the odds of not flinching with 5 tries is 9/10 to the 5th power, and subtract from one to get the odds of it not happening.

Firebird101
It's wayyy too early/late for me to math, so nice. Thanks for clearing that up because I sure as hell did not want to.

What are the chances of a Mon with Skill Link getting at least 1 crit when using a Multi-Hit move?
P(at least 1 crit) = 1 - P(no crits) = 1 - (chance of no crit)^5

If the mon does not have any crit chance modifiers like a scope or Focus Energy, then critchance = 0.0625. Hence

P(at least 1 crit) = 1 - (0.9375)^5 = 0.2758 = 27.58%

What is the flinch rate if skill linkers are also holding King's rock? (Got screwed by shell smash cloyster due to the constant flinching >_>)
Same idea here. Just replace "crit" with "flinch" in the above calculation. The chance of no flinch is 90%, and so

P(flinch) = 1 - (0.9)^5 = 0.4095 = 40.95%
With King's Rock, each Skill Link attack has a 10% chance of flinching you, so pretty a fifty percent chance of getting flinched when coupled with the 1/3 chance of a crit.
Please, if you do not understand basic probability, then do not respond to questions about math.

Just on opinon I would like to know which move of these 2 is a better Ground move?

Mud Shot(55 BP 95 Acc 100% -1 Speed) or HP Ground? (60 BP 100 Acc)

Mainly for something I want to breed. HP Ground would be good coverage but gets Mud Shot as an EM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)