XY OU Bulky Drag Mag -noob

Long time player new to competitive. So I was hoping if some people could look over this team and see what it needs to really succeed.

I wanted 2 Drags to break down each others checks and my first choice was Xard and my close second was Dragonite. Then I added in Magneton to trap opposing steels and bust open opposing fairies. Offensive Starmie was my choice of spinner and Rhperior my bird spam check and own hazard setter. Finally to round out the team I slapped Heatran on which might be incorrect.

Charizard X Adamant - 98Hp, 252Atk, 160Spd
Flare Blitz
Dragon Claw
Dragon Dance
Roost

Charizard is my main win condition. He's either saved for cleanup after I can get the crucial DD in or mid game to punch holes in the team if I have another reliable win condition. I've had a lot of problems figuring out a good EV spread for him. I definitely feel like 98Hp is the minimum investment I want to run but I also want 212Spd and I also want the instant power of 220+Atk. I'm really torn and maybe I'm trying to make him do more things than I should be.

Dragonite Adamant - 216Hp, 64Atk, 228SpD
Multiscale Leftovers
Dragon Claw
Extreme Speed
Earthquake
Roost

I've found this set to be extremely good at checking frail special sweepers and most rain threats. Because of this I find his bulk invaluable and the Dclaw Espeed combo hits said sweepers really hard. Of course it hates hazards, status, and Knock Off. But he is a sleeping giant and it's always worth a laugh to see him live the Latios Draco Meteor and proceed to KO with Espeed.

Magnezone Timid - 4Def, 252SpA, 252Spe
Magnet Pull Choice Scarf
Thunderbolt
Flash Cannon
Hidden Power Fire
Volt Switch

If the Dragons are the heart of this team then Magnezone is the ... arteries? Basically he lets the dragons do what they want to do. It's always nice to see an opposing hazard setter on the enemy team and send Zone out turn 1 to trap and ko them. The max speed has served the magnet well but there are some noticeable what would be 1HKO's turned into 2HKO's. But the speed allows him to act as a pseudo revenge killer taking on middling speed threats. My biggest problem with Magneton is his lack of coverage but as long as he removes steels and dent a couple things he's done his job.

Starmie Timid - 252SpA, 4SpD, 252Spe
Analytic Choice Specs
Scald/Hydro Pump
Psychock
Trick
Rapid Spin

Starmie has proven to be invaluable in the amount of havoc it can cause. It's main job of course is to remove hazards but being able to 2HKO Azumarril and Venusaur on the switch with Psyshock, getting a lucky burn off on a physical sweeper, or crippling a wall with Trick has shown its true power and utility.

Rhyperior Adamant - 252Hp, 44Atk, 212Def
Solid Rock Leftovers
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Rock Blast
Ice Punch

What can be said about Rhyperior that isn't already apparent? It tanks physical hits like a beast, breaks sashes like a beast, destroys opposing steels like a beast, and sets up Stealth Rock ... you get it. My biggest problem with Rhyperior is misjudging how well he can take a special attack but that's my own fault.

Heatran Calm - Hp252, SpD248, Spe8
Flash Fire Air Balloon
Lava Plume
Flash Cannon
Taunt
Will o Wisp/Toxic

I'm honestly not sure about Heatran on this team. His main job is spreading status and taunting walls and being back up insurance against fairies that get the opportunity to set up. But he doesn't bring much coverage to my team and makes me much weaker to water and ground attacks.

Overall I see that this team has some serious problems against Water and Ground and lacks some important offensive coverage with a bit of overlap throughout the whole team. After playing for 2 days I was able to climb to 1300 on the ladder which is a personal best. (I know it's a bad rank :p)

I'm coming over here for advice and criticism so please if you do post have no mercy.

I'd recommend something like Thundurus with Prankster instead of Heatran. Flash Fire is completely useless on this type of team. Thundurus covers your water weaknesses, and some ground too with HP Ice. Also, you'll be able to insta-taunt your foes b/c of it's amazing ability, and spread status to slow opposing pokemon down with thunder wave. To cover your ground weakness, you might want to switch to something like Gliscor if you want some more bulk on your team (which it needs somewhat, as only Dragonite and Rhyperior can take hits. Oh yeah, get something specially defensive too onto this team if you can) or Landorus if you want more offensive presence. Regular Landorus for special offensive presence and Landorus-T if you want a more physical. If you choose Land-T, there are two sets to run. Either bulky rocky helmet set with stealth rocks, or as choice-scarf set so you can hit enemies hard and fast. The only problem with these suggestions if the common ice weakness, although it's neutral against Char-X, and resisted by Starmie and Magnezone (who beats on water and ice types. he's your check)

Hey, going to drop a few suggestions that should make the team more efficient. You should definitely change the movesets of Dragonite and Mega Charizard X. If you still want to use a bulky Char X, use a 120 HP / 208 Atk / 180 Spe EV spread. You can alter the HP and Atk values if you want. However 180 Spe allows Char X to beat all mons up to base 90 speed before boosting with Dragon Dance. Which is important because it beats Adamant Excadrill (outside of sand). The Choice Band Dragonite set is much better than your moveset because it's much stronger and frankly much more efficient, the Choice Band Attack boost gives Dragonite the power it needs to soften up opposing teams for an eventual Mega Char X sweep. Use Fire Punch over Roost if you make this change. Air Balloon Excadrill brings much better synergy than Starmie because it has a pseudo immunity to Ground when using Air Balloon. It also resists Rock, Fairy, and Dragon type moves. Excadrill can also KO Clefable and can Rapid Spin as efficiently as Starmie. Swapping Heatran for Assault Vest Azumarill offers the team some much needed resistances / immunities ( Water, Ice, ((Dragon immunity)), Fight). If you're truly concerned about not having a ground resistant mon' you could swap Rhyperior for Landorus-Therian. It's not the same Flying-type check but it's effective in slowing Flying types as well as other premiere physical attackers ( Mega Heracross / Mega Medicham / Mega Char X / etc). Hope I helped a bit.
Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 236 HP / 52 Atk / 116 Def / 104 Spe
Impish nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Knock Off / U-turn

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant nature
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

After using some of these changes I've found a bit of success. Lando T is a monster but I do actually prefer Rhyperior. He's just a solid counter instead of a check. Less thought is needed for Rhyperior to get his job done imo. Azumarill and Excadrill are absolutely dangerous. Perhaps it was how I was using Thunderous but I couldn't get used to him. I don't know why his Prankster T waves where welcome and he was strong but I was only using bolt beam for damage and I was let down. The Zard spread was useful and I really liked it.

I do feel that This team is moving away from being bulky offense but I think I'm to inexperienced to make a synergistic bulky team. I think I'm going to move towards balance with a strong Defensive core of 3 mons my spinner my sweeper and a revenge killer. Thank you for the help but I might be going back to the drawing board.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)