XY Doubles Please rate my first doubles team! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just joined today, and I've been messing around with a doubles team. I'm kind of new to this, and while testing it in Showdown I did notice that it does lack something, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Any help is appreciated!

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Beat Up
- Helping Hand
- Toxic

I lead with Whimsicott and Gallade. Whimsicott used Beat Up on Gallade, immediately giving Gallade a 4x Atk boost (Justified). After that, I mainly use it to set up toxic. Tailwind gives my team some extra speed (although... I probably don't need it - might replace this). Helping hand supports Gallade's focus punch even further.
I know this Beat Up/Justified strategy is probably done all the time - but it's my first team so I gotta start somewhere. :D Any other ideas are really welcome.

Gallade @ Assault Vest
Ability: Justified
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Psycho Cut
- Ice Punch

The main powerhouse. Gets a 4x Atk boost on turn 1 thanks to Whimsicott's Beat Up. I follow that with a Drain Punch, which is really helpful and helps me regain some health. The other moves are there for type coverage: ice punch helps me fight dragons and grass types I face often. Since I seem to see a lot of fighting types in doubles, I added Psycho Cut which has saved me a few times. Knock Off is helpful when an item is making my life miserable. Assault vest was added for the extra SpD. All in all, I'm quite happy with this one.

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Megahorn
- Rock Blast
- Protect

Kind of straightforward, I suppose. Adamant Heracross, with a pretty classis EV setup. I usually use Megahorn to counter Psychic and Grass types, without mega evolving to ensure that I hit a little bit faster. Bullet Seed and Rock Blast help me cover Pokemon like Rain Dancers and Charizard, respectively. These are, of course, used after Mega evolving so that it hits 5 times. Protect is there for obvious reasons. It can help me while Togekiss uses Thunder wave or Roost to keep the pace down for a while.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Dazzling Gleam

Paraflinch Togekiss. First, I thunder wave my biggest threat. Thanks to Serene Grace, air slash has 60% chance of flinching which is truly helpful - at least, if Togekiss survives that long. Dazzling Gleam kills dragons and fighting types such as Hitmontop. However, I'm not sure if I should replace it with Water Pulse, which has a decent chance of causing confusion thanks to serene grace. Another option would be heat wave, which can burn the opponent as well. Whenever I get low on health (which is quite fast, actually - maybe I need more SpD?) I use Roost.

Metagross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Hidden Power [Poison]
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt

This one is mainly here to be able to cover a bunch of types. It's helped me out a lot, but then again it may lack strategy. Meteor Mash is a strong STAB that fights the common fairies, cloysters, etc. Hidden power poison covers grass types as well - tough maybe that's not needed if I give my Rotom-W hidden power fire. Earthquake hits both foes (and I just felt like I lacked a powerful ground-type move because I run into Mega Manetric far too often), while Zen Headbutt gets rid of fighting types. The Assault Vest keeps it alive, but also prevents me from using Protect which is a downside I suppose.

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This is the one I'm most uncertain about. I felt like I really needed electric/water/fire attacks on my team, and I also wanted another slow killer (will-o-wisp) in case I can't pull toxic off. Thunderbolt is truly helpful, with so many flying types around. Hydro pump gets rid of Charizard. Both moves work against Talonflame as well. Hidden Power Fire is just there for coverage - but I have to admit it hasn't saved me that often so far. Sitrus berry keeps it alive. While Rotom-W seems helpful on paper, I feel like it hasn't really lived up to its expectations on this team yet.

Last edited:

8-BIT Luster

Completely Unviable
Well, I'm no doubles expert, but I do know that you gotta have at least three lines of description for each Pokemon explaining why you chose it or else this'll get locked.
Secondly, Beat Up+Justified is really gimmicky, and I feel that there is a way to make this team work without changing the whole team.

First of all, you can't have two of the same item in Doubles, so you have to get rid of an Assault Vest. Personally, I'd recommend scrapping Metagross entirely, as it's weak to the very common Heat Wave and Earthquake.
Potentially replacing Heatran for Metagross is good. although your Ground Weakness becomes a 4x one, you get an immunity to Fire and boosted Heat Waves every single time you're hit with a Fire move.
You also lack a Guard move (Quick.Wide Guard.) These are great moves to have, Quick Guard prevents your team from being hit by priority for one turn, which is great for blocking the omnipresent Fake Out and Talonflame's Brave Bird. Wide guard does the same thing, but instead of blocking priority, it blocks spread moves like Earthquake. This is absolutely amazing, and I recommend Hitmontop for a Wide Guard user (probably the more important one for your team.) Hitmontop also has access to the coveted Intimidate ability in doubles. replace Gallade with him.
That should get you started. If you fix your descriptions I'm sure that a more experienced player will come along and add to my suggestions. I didn't address all of this team's issues, just the ones that came to mind right away when glancing at this team.

Talonflame looks like a bitch to face right now.

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
Hello! Like was said above, you need to have at least three lines of description for each Pokemon. I do, however, believe I can help you with your team.

First of all (this is just a minor detail), in Smogon Doubles, you can have duplicate items, while in VGC (and I also believe XY Doubles) you cannot, so you don't necessarily have to replace the Assault Vest, it just depends on what tier you battle in.

Second of all I agree that your team could really benefit from replacing Gallade with a guarding Himontop. I actually have a set for this that I use on one of my teams that you're more than welcome to import and use

Bey Blade (Hitmontop) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Wide Guard
- Quick Guard

(pls keep that nickname pls)

Since Gallade is no longer your leading man, I would turn Whimsicott into a specially defensive support. Replace Beat Up with a strong STAB move like Giga Drain or Moonblast (depends on what type of coverage you want). Then fill up your last three slots with Helping Hand, Encore, and Tailwind/Cotton Guard/Leech Seed. Whimsicott has access to tons of great status moves to make him the ultimate troll of a Pokemon. I don't think Tailwind is completely necessary because besides Metagross, your team is fairly speedy, but if you feel you need that boost, you could run it. However with Encore, Cotton Guard, and Helping Hand, you can easily make your opponent forfeit out of rage. This would mean you should invest your all your EV's in SpD and HP, with the last 4 in Spe, Def, or SpA.

Iron Head > Hidden Power on Metagross for sure. You have 2 fairy weaknesses on this team, and Iron Head makes a killer STAB attack. Also Protect > Earthquake.

That's all the detailed info I'm going to give for now, but there are still some problems with your team. To give some perspective: If you choose to replace Gallade, your type advantages and disadvantages are in this chart HERE. You're also more than welcome to PM me or find me on Showdown. I'm not an expert, but I think I can help you.

Take care, and good luck!

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, let's see:

1. Protect > Toxic, Ice Punch / Knock Off, Dazzling Gleam / T-Wave, Hidden Power [Poison], Hidden Power [Fire]. It's just a better option as it lets you stall out turn based field effects such as Trick Room, Rain, Sun, Hail. It lets you scout plays and all sorts of useful things.

2. Bulk up that Togekiss either max Def or Special Def since an offensive one isn't giving you much. And throw Tailwind over T-Wave since you have a bunch of middle speed mons that need that boost. Bulk Wash, 252 HP / 40 Def / 84 SpA / 124 SpD / 8 Spe with a Calm Nature. Much better for your team as it lets you tank hits and cripple physical attackers.

3. Swap out Whimsicott or Metagross for an Aerodactyl, Landorus-T, Garchomp or Heatran, because right now any competent player with a Charizard can burn through your whole team.

you're not allowed to create multiple rmt threads within a two-week period as stated in the rmt rules. the reason for this is because when your team is rated, you should be taking time to test these suggestions and try to make the adjustments that improve your team. on the other hand if you're abandoning this and making a new team instead, you should be testing and working out the basic or obvious flaws you notice while playing with it initially so that raters don't have to end up reformulating an entire team if it's a poorly thought-out idea

i'm leaving your newer one open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)