Liepard (1/3)

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Thank god Swagpard isn't a thing anymore, I'd feel gross having to write about it :\

Also, to help set the mood, Catgroove:

Overview
########
  • Is a black cat, bad luck for opponents.
  • Access to prankster, one of the best support abilities in the game
  • STAB Knock Off and Sucker Punch allow it hit very hard.
  • Access to Nasty Plot prevents it from becoming too one-dimensional.
  • Priority Encore / Taunt allows it to scare many set-up sweepers into not setting up / prevent it in the first place.
  • Priority Thunder Wave can allow it to act as NU's Thundurus, saving the team from a potential sweep.
  • Fast U-turn can be used to scout out opponents after crippling them, and avoid attacks directed at Liepard.
  • Access to weather moves and Prankster makes it a very popular choice for a secondary 8-turn weather setter for teams.
  • It's rather frail, can't take hits very well.
  • It's very prediction reliant, as opposing set-up mons may just attack predicting Liepard

Offensive Pivot
########
name: Offensive Pivot
move 1: Knock Off
move 2: Encore
move 3: Sucker Punch / Thunder Wave
move 4: U-turn
ability: Prankster
item: Black Glasses
evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
nature: Jolly

Moves
========
  • Knock Off is the main offensive move Liepard has, as it both deals decent damage and disrupts teams by removing items.
  • Encore is one of the best moves Liepard has to abuse with Prankster, as it can often lock set-up pokemon into their set-up moves, rendering them useless and forcing switches.
  • Thunder Wave allows it to act as NU's version of Thundurus, as priority Thunder Wave can quickly put a stop to otherwise lethal sweeps. It's also very helpful for slower, bulkier teams, as anything faster than Liepard [Pyroar, Archeops, Sceptile] won't enjoy being paralyzed; and once it's slowed down, it can be handled easier by the rest of the team.
  • Sucker punch is generally more useful on offensive teams, as they are normally faster than anything that Liepard would want to Paralyze anyway, and Sucker Punch allows it to act as a revenge-killer. It can pick off many weakened pokemon that either rely on priority attacks such as Feraligatr, or that are naturally faster, such as Pyroar, Archeops, and Sceptile.
  • U-turn is very important on this set, as it guarantees you to keep up momentum after crippling something with Encore. The opponent will be forced to switch, and by having the ability to simply U-turn out, you can see what they bring out and act accordingly.
  • Pursuit can also be used to play mindgames vs opposing sweepers who have to play around Sucker Punch / Pursuit, but generally U-turn, Encore, and Sucker Punch are more important.
Set Details
========
  • Max speed allows it to outspeed basically every priority user in the tier, guarenteeing it to be able to cripple something with a status move.
  • Blackglasses are used over Life Orb as the only attacking moves being used for damage are Dark-type, and there's no sense in wearing yourself down every turn for an extra 10% damage. Blackglasses are being used over Dead plate because they're cool fucking glasses.

Usage Tips
========
  • Many set-up sweepers will be afraid to set-up if they see you have a Liepard out of fear of being encored in the next turn, so they often just attack trying to predict Liepard switching in. Use these mindgames Liepard causes to your advantage.
  • Try not to let Liepard take any direct attacks, as it's super frail and will likely die to any STAB neutral hit.

Team Options
========
  • Teams that appreciate not having to worry about set-up sweepers enjoy Liepard's support - be it balanced teams, or teams trying to set-up themselves before their opponents.
  • Slower bulkier teams consisting of pokemon such as Samurott, Feraligatr, Luxray, Offensive Vileplume, and other slow but hard-hitting pokemon appreciate the Thunder Wave support from Liepard to slow down faster threats.
  • Fast offensive teams with pokemon such as Slurpuff, Feraligatr, Mespirit, and Pyroar appreciate Liepard's Encore + Sucker Punch as it can disrupt Set-up sweepers trying to plow through the frail team.
  • Poison-types are always good good partners for Liepard, as they resist all 3 of Liepard's weaknesses, and lure in Psychic-types which can grant Liepard the switch-in opportunities it needs. Qwilfish and Garbodor are especially nice as they can set up Spikes which are super nice to have with how many switches Liepard forces.

Weather Support
########
name: Weather Support
move 1: Knock Off
move 2: Encore
move 3: Rain Dance / Sunny Day
move 4: U-turn
item: Damp Rock / Heat Rock
evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
nature: Jolly

Moves
========
  • Knock off is a great move to carry, as it's both powerful STAB, and also annoying utility as it removes items from opposing pokemon.
  • Encore is a move Lipard really can't go wrong with running; being able to lock an opposing pokemon into their set-up move is fantastic team support. ]
  • Whether you're running Rain or Sun, pick the corresponding weather move.
  • U-turn can allow free switch-ins to Weather abusers, and keeps up momentum in general.

Set Details
========
  • Max attack is used to Maximize damage output from Knock off; even with max HP Liepard is very frail so there's no use investing in its lackluster defenses.
  • The weather rock is there to maximize the amount of turns you can abuse your weather for.
  • An alternate spread of 252 HP / 252+ Atk / 4 SDef with a Brave nature and 0 Speed IVs can be used to have a very slow U-turn, generally allowing Liepard to take the hit, and get your preferred weather abuser in safely. However Volbeat is slower than Liepard, and also gets priority weather, so slow U-turns are better left to that.
Usage Tips
========
  • Bring it in on Ghosts / Psychics to scare them out with the threat of Knock off, etc
  • Generally you're just going to get your weather up and die.
  • Liepard shouldn't be your first weather setter, your first weather setter should have Stealth Rock and your weather move. Liepard should be saved until later in the game, to set your weather back up for a second time.

Team Options
========
  • If you're running Rain: Ludicolo, Qwilfish, Omastar, Carracosta, Seismitoad, Swanna.
  • If you're running Sun: Victreebel, Sawsbuck, Typhlosion, Pyroar, Vileplume, Exeggutor.
  • With either weather, Uxie is a great primary weather setter, as it gets access to both weather moves, Stealth Rock, and Memento.

Nasty Plot
########
name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Dark Pulse
move 3: Substitute / Encore
move 4: Copycat
item: Black Glasses
evs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
nature: Modest / Timid

Moves
========
  • Nasty Plot allows Liepard to quickly boost its special attack and become an immediate threat.
  • Dark Pulse is the only attacking move here. Because of how little resists there are to Dark-type attacks in XY, mono-dark STAB is move acceptable than ever.
  • Substitute can be used on a predicted status move or switch. It also protects Liepard from attacks in case an opponent lives during its sweep.
  • Encore can also be used, this time for puniching opponents for choosing the wrong move in order to get more Nasty Plot boosts.
  • Copycat is the crux of this set [IT ACTUALLY IS, OKAY QC TEAM?]. After going for a Dark Pulse the previous turn, Copycat quickly becomes a priority attack that Liepard can abuse, dealing serious damage to any non-resists with +1 priority.

Set Details
========
  • Max speed it to allows Liepard to be faster than almost all other priority users in the tier, which protects it from something coming in and ruining the Copycat chain.
  • Modest nature is preferred, as the power boost it provides is significant and if you're relying on Copycat's +1 priority speed isn't that necessary.
  • Timid nature can be used it you're worried about pokemon faster than base 95 using a priority move and messing up the Copycat chain, however the power drop is noticeable.
  • Black Glasses are so much cooler than Dread Plate, it's literally a pair of black sunglasses on a black cat; how fucking awesome is that?
    Blackglasses are used over Life Orb as the only attacking move being used for damage is Dark-type, and there's no sense in wearing yourself down every turn for an extra 10% damage.

Usage Tips
========
  • Bring it in on pokemon that would generally be scarred out by Liepard, such as frail Psychic- and Ghost-types, and set up a substitute. From there you either boost, and sweep, or switch out if they sent in a counter.
  • Try to avoid reveling your set too early, as most people wouldn't be expecting SubNP Liepard, and the surprise value is your friend.
  • If you see bulky Dark resists, eliminate them before even trying to sweep - specifically Gurdurr, Hariyama, Slurpuff, and Granbull.

Team Options
========
  • Flying, Fairy, or Psychic types that can eliminate the Dark-type resists are crucial for this set to work.
  • Bulky birds such as Dodrio, Pelipper, Xatu, or Swanna work well as they can switch into the Bug and Fighting attacks aimed at Liepard, and then threaten to KO the Fighting-type. Bulky Fairy-types such as CM Slurpuff, and Granbull also work.
  • Poison-types such as Vileplume, Garbodor, or Qwilfish can switch in to all three of Liepard's weaknesses and eliminate the Fairy-types in question.

Other Options
########
  • Taunt to prevent set-up all together
  • Play Rough to hit Gurdurr and other Fighting-type switch-ins hard
  • Trick + Choice Band [QC, is this worth a set??]
  • Yawn to force switches and gain momentum with U-turn
  • Hone Claws + Gunk Shot to lure Granbull and other fairies.

Checks & Counters
########
**Fighting Types** Gurdurr and Hariyama are perfect examples of bulky Fighting-types who can switch-in against Liepard and swiftly kill it.
**Fairy Types** Slurpuff actually enjoys having its item removed, and Granbull can pretty much shut down any momentum Liepard was trying to achieve.
**Pawniard** Pawniard can switch-in safely against any set and threaten Liepard with a powerful STAB Iron Head.
**Mental Herb** Set-up sweepers can recover from one use of Encore and hit Liepard with a powerful boosted attack.

Last edited:

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
For the weather Support set, what do you guys think of last gen's Specially defensive spread as opposed to an offensive one. Last gen it didn't have knock off to spam, but this gen I feel an offensive set is more viable just cause STAB Knock Off is godly and it's only gonna be setting up weather once anyway.

Last edited:

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
For the weather Support set, what do you guys think of last gen's Specially defensive spread as opposed to an offensive one. Last gen it didn't have knock off to spam, but this gen I feel an offensive set is more viable just cause STAB Knock Off is godly and it's only gonna be setting up weather once anyway.
Just for the record SpD weather Liepard was really bad last gen too (that old analysis was really outdated lol), and this gen it even gets Knock Off so I'd imagine it would be a similar case this gen.

On the pivot set I think TWave should be slashed with U-turn rather than Encore, Prankster Encore is just too good to pass up imo. U-turn isn't always 100% necessary since you can still just Encore + hard switch and the loss of Shiftry makes U-turn's coverage vs Dark-types less useful. Similarly I think Encore should be a standalone slash on weather support too, it's just too good for nabbing setup opportunities (and Volbeat's usually better at Prankster weather + TWave because it actually has room and is bulkier).

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
On the pivot set I think TWave should be slashed with U-turn rather than Encore, Prankster Encore is just too good to pass up imo. U-turn isn't always 100% necessary since you can still just Encore + hard switch and the loss of Shiftry makes U-turn's coverage vs Dark-types less useful.
What are your thoughts about slashing Sucker Punch with T-wave instead? I feel being able to freely U-turn after you encore a set-up sweeper is very important, because unlike doubling out, it requires literally zero prediction. Sucker would only be useful for faster things anyway [stuff you could T-wave]

Edit: I also recall seeing a more support-oriented set in NUPL with Taunt, Encore, and PlayRough to take advantage of Gurdurr coming in. Does that have any merits, or would it be way too close to the Offensive Pivot to bother mentioning?

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd only put offensive and nasty plot. I don't think weather is actually that good. Pretty sure I rejected it last gen too, but idr.

When you do get around to mentioning gurdurr, note that at least you can knock off its evio and encore it into bulk up.

twave should be mentioned somewhere on pivot set. nice catch all for sweepers that you couldn't otherwise deal with. probably go knock/sucker/encore/u-turn|twave, but I'd like more QC input there because I've never actually used twave. I just know it's good.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
I personally think the reasoning of, "if it's faster than me, instead of sucker punching and getting off moderate damage, I will just thunderwave it for the rest of my team" isn't inherently bad. Theres not much faster then Liepard anyway, and the things that are really hate being paralyzed. I think T-wave is actually really useful, and after messing around with it tonight for a while, I think it deserves a primary slash.

idk why everyone wants u-turn off so bad, because I feel that the brainless "u-turn after locking into a move with encore" is just too sweet to give up, cause it's just awesome, free momentum.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Sucker Punch allows Liepard to revenge kill stuff by itself (ex: Torrent Gatr), and due to the threat of Prankster Encore the opponent must either get hit by the Sucker Punch or get forced out. The latter case may be enough to warrant Pursuit's use (mention in Moves, maybe?), because Sucker Punch + Pursuit + Prankster Encore mindgames can be pure hell for weakened sweepers.

Pursuit should be slashed with Knock Off imo, trapping is still super good against stuff like Uxie, Mismagius etc. that won't want to stay in on Liepard.
I also think it should be Sucker Punch/Twave, priority is always king and while prankster paralysis is awesome, Sucker Punch is still the better option on offensive teams, allowing Liepard to revenge kill a whole bunch of stuff.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah don't slash Pursuit, but mention it in moves.

I like U-turn as well, which is why I've never used twave and pretty much always use sucker/knock/encore/u-turn. But idk where else to put it because every move is so important.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
I really need to finish this n_n

So I've actually been playing some NU games the past few days (I actually play?) testing out Twave and I've been having a lot of success with it over SP. I understand why SP is important and nice to have, but the merits of t-wave are also super nice for a slower, bulky team (ala Samurott, Plume, Gatr, most of this tier is bulky offense -.-). If there was a move to slash it with, I feel like it would have to be sucker, cause they both work relatively in the same way (beat things that are fast).
Unless someone's life would seriously be ruined if I slashed Sucker Punch / Thunder Wave I think that's what's gonna happen :]

Punchshroom

You could say that Thunder Wave benefits slower teams more, but otherwise more offensive teams would prefer if Liepard smack the foe with a powerful priority attack instead. Again, the Torrent Gatr I've mentioned before is a great example; TWave Liepard does not help offensive teams take a +2 Torrent Aqua Jet any better, but Sucker Punch Pard can deal with the problem right there. On the other hand, if Liepard is on a bulkier team, Thunder Wave prevents Gatr from Waterfalling normally slower mons, which can take the boosted Aqua Jet much easier. Other situations include Sucker Punching things so a Choice Scarf teammate can finish it off (or even vice versa!), or TWaving speedy shit like Archeops and Pyroar so that its slower teammates no longer has to fear them.

In other words, Sucker Punch is better for more offensive teams, Thunder Wave helps bulkier teams.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview
  • If Play Rough isn't on a main set there's no need to specifically mention it. Same with Taunt.
  • You don't need to have so many points covering all its support options; they can just be merged into a single point just mentioning Prankster and its good movepool along with it.
  • I'd expand a little more on its frailty and also mention it makes it somewhat prediction reliant as it often can't switch directly into setup sweepers without the risk of being OHKOed.
Pivot
  • In Set Details don't even mention max HP lol that's bad
  • In Team Options also mention that slow hard-hitters like U-turn support. And that setup sweepers really like Encore + U-turn support too.
Weather
  • I'd deslash TWave and put it in Moves or OO. U-turn is too important and Volbeat is better at it because it actually has room.
  • In Moves also say Encore is good for providing setup opportunities for weather so you can reset it later instead of dying. It also synergizes well with U-turn.
  • In SD when you mention the slow spread note that Volbeat is slower so there's no real point.
Nasty Plot
  • Most Dragon Tails break Cat's Sub anyway so I wouldn't mention that
  • Encore is mainly useful on this set for setting up Liepard rather than team support. This set's main use is as a sweeper so Encore is more used to get up Nasty Plot boosts instead of pivoting.
  • No crux plz :[
  • In UT you should just mention removing bulky Dark resists in general rather than just Fighting-types. Fairies should also really be removed before trying to sweep.
  • Similarly also mention some Fairy counters in TO: stuff like Garbodor switches in easy and sets up Spikes, etc etc etc.
Checks and Counters
  • Tomb isn't really that great of an answer as it's neutral to Knock Off and Cat resists Sucker Punch. I'd honestly remove it and just give Pawniard its own specific mention instead of Dark-types.
  • Mention just generally bulky mons like Seismitoad and Vileplume or w/e since they can tank its hits and threaten it out.
  • Who uses Mental Herb .-.

Punchshroom

I just missed out something big.

Ctrl+F Poison: 0 results found
Poison-types are always great teammates for Liepard to have: they resist all 3 of Liepard's weaknesses, and lure in Psychic-types, which can grant Liepard the switch-in opportunities it needs.

Where is Pursuit?

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
All implemented, thanks guys :]
idk why I slashed t-wave on the weather set tbh, like.. I didn't even mention it in moves, which shows i had no idea it was there lol
also mental herb is best item 2014 dont u dare

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Weather:

on weather set mention how fantastic priority weather is in usage tips

Nasty Plot:

for nasty plot usage tips mention that midgame Liepard should be making use of Encore and Copycat being really cool moves.

as for nasty plot set I feel that encore should get the first slash over Substitute. Firstly because Encore is a great move that's actually useful in case you're not sweeping yet. Secondly because Encore gives a lot more setup opportunities than Sub can given that Liepard is kinda frail and won't really have subs up -- and late game if given a free turn I'd much rather get up a NP than a sub since Liepard doesn't fear revenge killing that much. Encore > Sub imo.

Also Timid is quite useful because it allows Liepard to get the initial hit off vs certain things, which imo should make it the primary nature over Modest unless the damage output is really significantly less. I've always run Timid on my NP Liepard and I haven't found myself in situations where I missed Modest and it's quite useful lategame when I need Liepard to hit fast things. Feel free to disagree with me on this

mention entry hazard setters too in TO because most Dark resists don't have reliable recovery and get worn down.

you can probably mention Leftovers for more subs

no crux pls :(

Checks and Counters:

Fairy-types: wording a little weird here. Slurpuff doesn't "enjoy" having its item removed and Granbull doesn't actually stop momentum if Liepard U-turns. You don't need to mention these, just say that they can take whatever Liepard tries to throw at them

in the usage tips for the first set, mention that you can use Encore to help get your own sweepers set up.

In checks and counters, mention Pokemon with a lot of Physical Bulk can take on the first 2 sets and disrupt it. Rhydon doesnt like taking Knock Off, but in a pinch it cna take one and then Roar out Liepard as it U-turns. Same with Steelix. They dont like the NP set as much, but can mess around with the first 2.

For team options in rain, remove Omastar add Kabutops.

Do this and this can be QC 2/3

Punchshroom

naturally faster, such as Pyroar, Archeops, and Sceptile.
Pyroar speedties, mention something faster without priority, such as Tauros or Accelgor. You could expand on the priority attackers Sucker Punch hits, like Adamant Costa, or boosted threats like Scarf Typhlosion or Ludicolo, etc.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
im rly lazy to check because its freaking 5:30am, but make sure to talk about how NP pard shits on stall. Most of the Audino being used right now all carry Knock Off to beat NP Taunt Mismagius, meaning that it is 100% set up fodder to Liepard. Only things that can stop it reliably on Stall is like.. Poliwrath and Slurpuff, which are kinda rare.

edit: looking back, there's a bit more than 2 answers to NP Pard like CroBink, SpDef Steelix, and other stuff, but still..

i also think it NP might deserve to be the second set

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I feel like the usage tips on the NP should have a line explaining how Dark Pulse and Copycat work.

this is a nitpick but 1st set should be called offensive support imo, it doesn't look much of a pivot to me with its defenses lol

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
TheCanadianWifier are you still working on this? Raseri gave you 2/3 implement the above, tag me back, and ill come give 3/3.

Also this video is still fucking awesome

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)