XY OU First Team Built

Hi,
this is my first time that I built a whole team on my own, Ive been away from the competitive market for a while, I use most of my time in pokemon as a breeder, but what is the point on breeding and not using what has been bred! I played around on Pkm Showdown, not entirely sure how it fully works on the ladder points and everything (some help here would be awesome too), sorry for any grammar or spelling mistakes, english aint my first language hehe.
Lets get to it!

it all started with one of my favourite dragons of all times! i wanted to build a team around him for a while already and after mega garchomp my hype went even higher, so i finally decided to give it a try. so obviously my first choice was him!

My second pick was something that had a nice synergy with him but i also needed something that could land stealth rock deal with some troublesome counters and also resist some hits, so i present to you my second pick:

Even thought i love the idea of having a pokemon that could land stealth rock, deal with some troubles using power whip and also getting rid of stealth rock that might be used agains me, its 4x fire weakness has always been a turn down for me so i got rid of it and swaped it to something that i found more interesting and could get rid of enemy ferrothorns or any grass/steel trouble i might run around so i made this slight change:

Now that i had a possible lead that i liked a bit more than the previous i needed something to get rid of stealth rock and would be able to land hits to surpass possible talon flames that would go for garchomp throats and still be usefull against other foes:

Ok i have a special sweeper and my physical sweeper and a stealth rock lander, what i needed now? i went back to the strategy dex from smogon and looked up possible team mates for garchomp, everything that i came across was squishy stuff and i didnt feel like putting any other, but them i found something really interesting that its ability would come in handy together with maga garchomp ability:

After i selected tyranitar from a pile of pokemon i started getting worried, what if starmie dies and im out of options to kill possible latios that would come to sweep my garchomp away! so i decided to try something that could somewhat resist some trouble and also burst any dragons butt!!! comming down to this line up so far:

At the same time that i decided to use a fairy i started freaking out because i could not kill any fairies, first option was to simple drop a scizor with bullet punch and all my problems would be gone, but them i noticed that i have far to many ground weakness which made that impossible therefore i needed something that could withstand a earthquake or something that would avoid it, i got devided between three options: venosaur, crobat and gengar. sincerelly im not a big fan of grass pokemon so i crossed oout venosaur, gengar shown to be a second suckerpunch problem in my team so i crossed him out leaving me with this final team:

Now to the moveset and items (by the way about them, i decided to go for a team with an item clause therefore i could not repeat items in between them), the way i pictured it would work the best way for the more offensive way i tend to battle was:

Garchomp:

Sword Dancer Garchomp:
Moves:
Swords Dance
Earthquake
DragonClaw
Stone Edge
EVs: 4hp/252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Item: garchompite
Abillity: Rough Skin
Nature: Jolly
I looked up many garchomp builds, but i decided to go with the swords dance after i finished up my whole team, i thought there is a lot of potential using it, i somewhat can get rid of bulky and walls quickly with that after i finished up any garchomp slayers from opposing team. earthquake its main stabber dealing a huge ammount of damage. originally it wasnt dragonclaw, it was outrage but beeing lock in the same hit for 2 turns was a bummer, he could easilly get blasted to oblivion on those turns and since i decided to go with the megastone i couldnt use the lum berry to get rid of the self inflicted confusion.
the ev spread and nature were all selected so garchomp would hit first and hit hard so even some counters would be dealt with just using him.

Starmie:

Moves:
Surf
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Rapid Spin
EVs: 4hp/252 SpA/ 252 Spe
Item: Lifeorb
Abillity: Analytic
Nature: Timid

Its whole move set was to work around any weakness that i could come around, ice beam gets rid of annoying gliscors, thunderbolt works really well against any keldeo that might come to sweep a kill on garchomp, rapid spin to toss the stealth rocks far away, and surf to work around rock and fire types. everything in this starmie is to sweep in, get the kill or clean the arena hence the 252 spe ev.

Roserade:

Moves:
Toxic Spike
Sludge Bomb
Rest
Giga Drain
EVs: 248 hp/84 SpA/176 SpD
Item: Black Sludge
Abillity: Natural Cure
Nature: Calm
as my crobat substituter and fairy slaughter, it can manage anyu fairies thrown to burst garchomp to oblivion, also because of natural cure it can get rid of the self inflicted sleep from rest when i switch him out. it also can lay down toxic spike and making the field even more hazardous. giga drain as a way to deal with any other types that i have been having trouble with

Togekiss

Moves:
Roost
Thunderwave
Air Slash
Dazzling Gleam
EVs: 248 hp / 8 spa / 252 spD
Item: Rocky Helmet
Abillity: Serene Grace
Nature: Calm
A great special wall that grants a great synergy with garchomp due to its thunderwave and being able to switch in some hate sweepers, cast thunderwave and countinously flinch my foe. even thought its ev spread is around a special wall, it still packs a punch being able to still deal some good ammount of damage, make him and even better choice to substitute sylveon.

Ferrothorn:

moves:
Stealth Rock
Leech Seed
Power Whip
Knock Off/Protect
Evs: 252 hp / 88 Def / 168 Spe
Item: Leftovers
Abillity: Iron Barbs
Nature: Impish

After further testing decided to swap my stealth rocker heatran for a utility ferrothorn, even with its 4x fire weakness is showed better sinergy with the team even heatran using air baloon, since ferrothorn is a grass type its weakness to earthquake is downsized to just a x1 making it also a better lead and possible swaper agains earthquake users.
Im in doubt about Knock off or protect havent tested with protect enough i believe, but both moves are working very well so i really dont know which one to choose.
Leftovers helps him stay longer on the battlefield.
I also felt i needed a grass type to hit possible rock, groud or water types in case i loose starmie therefore power whip

Gliscor:

moves:
Earthquake
Acrobatics
Toxic/Torment
Roost
Evs: 252 hp/ 56 Def / 200 Spe
Item:Toxic Orb
Abillity: Poison Heal
Nature: Impish
inicially i would use gliscor as my lead, but i needed a physical wall to substitute tyranitar, therefore i decided to come with this set, earthquake and acrobatics are great moves for him because it stabs, and roost maintains him alive in the battlefield, havent decided on toxic or torment but possibly torment since i can already inflict poison with roserade.
gliscors base deffensive stat is high enough therefore i dont need to use 252 def on him making it possible to punch some speed.

EDIT 1: Changed sylveon ability.
EDIT 2: Changed sylveon ability back to cute charm and swaped hyper voice to calm mind. After some more tests decided to keep crobat, scyzor didnt do as expected
EDIT 3: Changed two members, sylveon and crobat for roserade and togekiss.
EDIT 4: Swaped Tyranitar and heatran for ferrothorn and gliscor.

Last edited:
Hey, nice team. Here are my suggestions:

Ice Beam over Thunderbolt on Starmie. Ice Bean allows Starmie to take on and OHKO some of the game's biggest threats including Garchomp, Gliscor, Thundurus-I and the ever-popular Lando-T.

Next, Sylveon should run Pixilate over Cute Charm. This allows Sylveon to become insanely powerful, especially with Pixilate Hyper Voice.

Lastly, while I fully understand that Crobat is a good wallbreaker and it can come in on EQ and finish up Fairies, I suggest you run Scizor instead. Scizor, contrary to hat you think, is still very good as it has priority Bullet Punch, which can at least 2HKO all Fairies (excluding the pest Azumarill) an is priority, preventing Fairies from setting up. Try out this set:

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Atk / 48 Def
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn / Bug Bite
- Knock Off

Hope it helps!
-PK

Hey, nice team. Here are my suggestions:

Ice Beam over Thunderbolt on Starmie. Ice Bean allows Starmie to take on and OHKO some of the game's biggest threats including Garchomp, Gliscor, Thundurus-I and the ever-popular Lando-T.

Next, Sylveon should run Pixilate over Cute Charm. This allows Sylveon to become insanely powerful, especially with Pixilate Hyper Voice.

Lastly, while I fully understand that Crobat is a good wallbreaker and it can come in on EQ and finish up Fairies, I suggest you run Scizor instead. Scizor, contrary to hat you think, is still very good as it has priority Bullet Punch, which can at least 2HKO all Fairies (excluding the pest Azumarill) an is priority, preventing Fairies from setting up. Try out this set:

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Atk / 48 Def
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn / Bug Bite
- Knock Off

Hope it helps!
-PK
Thanks for the review, i believe you didnt notice that starmie already has ice beam, and about the scyzor, i tried it out on pokemon showdown, and everytime i would swap to heatran to tank out the supposed fire move to kill scyzor would turn out to be an earthquake instead, that swap protect was really well known already, but thanks for reading =D
Also already changed sylveons abillitu

Great looking team, but I would recommend running jolly/adamant over Impish on T tar and change it to a attacking T tar as you already have rocks on heatran. Crunch, d dance, earthquake, and rock slide would be a quite viable soulution

Spelled Serene Grace wrong btw It's sludge bomb also on roserade
I would rate your team, but I cant play Mega Garchomp. Ever. It's my 2nd least favorite mega.
You could balloon your heatran and lefties your togekiss

hi, thanks to both of you for answering, the thing on switching t-tar for a physical sweeper is that i wont have a physical wall.
I will try using the ballon on heatran and leftovers on togekiss, thanks for the tip.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)