ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
You bring up an interesting point. Pages ago someone posted ALL the Mega Evolutions by their type, but I don't think anyone posted just the Hoenn Mega Evolutions by their type. We know that every type has at least one representation with Kalos' Mega Evolutions, let's see if the same is true for Hoenn's:

Normal: 2 (Lopunny & Audino)
Fighting: 3 (Blaziken, Lopunny, & Gallade)
Flying: 1 (Salamence)
Poison: 0
Ground: 2 (Swampert & Camerupt)
Rock: 1 (Diancie)
Bug: 0
Ghost: 1 (Sableye)
Steel: 1 (Metagross)
Fire: 2 (Blaziken & Camerupt)
Water: 3 (Slowbro, Swampert, & Sharpedo)
Grass: 1 (Sceptile)
Electric: 0
Psychic: 5 (Slowbro, Gallade, Metagross, Latios, & Latias)
Ice: 0
Dragon: 5 (Sceptile, Altaria, Salamence, Latios, & Latias)
Dark: 2 (Sableye & Sherpedo)
Fairy: 3 (Altaria, Audino, & Diancie)

So we still need a Poison-, Bug-, Electric-, and Ice-type. Looking through the old Hoenn Dex, we have the following options for each (of course, possibly any Pokemon could be chosen since a Mega Evolution can change type, but that's impossible to predict. Besides that, So far at least one type had a Pokemon that was previously that type before Mega evolving):

Poison: Dustox, Crobat, Tentacruel, Vileplume, Roserade (Roselia is in the Hoenn Dex), Swalot, Muk, Weezing & Seviper
Bug: Beautifly, Dustox, Masquerain, Ninjask, Shedinja, Volbeat, Illumise, & Armaldo
Electric: Plusle, Minun, Magnezone (Magnemite family is in the Hoenn Dex), Electrode, Raichu, & Lanturn
Ice: Glalie, Froslass (Snorunt family is in the Hoenn Dex), Walrein, Regice

If I had to pick, I'd choose Crobat (Roserade a close second), Masquerain (though Mega Ninjask would be hilarious), Raichu (so WHY hasn't it been given a Mega Evolution yet?), and Walrein (Hoenn sucked for Ice-types, but I'm choosing Walrein since Glalie and Froslass are a pair so it wouldn't seem right to give one a Mega Evolution over the other).
Not sure why you're picking specifically from the Hoenn dex when Lopunny, Audino and Slowbro make it clear to me that GF are going to give Megas to whatever the heck they want

True, true, which I suppose that's why they're giving away a Shiny Beldum since Metagross's Hidden Ability is Light Metal... yeah, I'd go for the Shiny Metagross myself.
Funnily enough, Light Metal will be the better ability for it in the same way Light Metal is Scizor's better ability now - you're going to mega evolve right away so might as well reduce damage from a few minor moves.
... Actually, no wait, clear body preventing intimidate... j-just ignore everything I say I'm dumb

First post here in a long time!

Very excited for ORAS.

My friend and I are both planning on getting both (we're completionists).
He's ordered them from EB Games for the figurines, but I've ordered mine through a friend's online distributor.
This distributor is doing a midnight release, so I get to pick my copies up at 10pm the night before.

So far the plan is for my friend and I stay up all night playing though my copies, and he'll swap me his unused Alpha Sapphire the next day.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm getting AS because I originally had Sapphire as a kid and because of the funny pirates. Until Kurona mentioned it I had never thought of teaming up with them. But 9 Tales is right, you get to interact with Team Aqua way more in Sapphire so it still wins for me. Also I always thought that expanding the sea was more threatening and therefore worth stopping then expanding the land, so Team Aqua always seemed like better bad guys to me anyway

If the version exclusives stays the same this time around I plan to get Omega Ruby. Whilst I like Kyogre more than Groudon, however I prefer Zangoose, Shiftry, Mawile, and Solrock more than Seviper, Ludicolo, Sableye and Lunatone. I don't really care which storyline I venture into..

Still pretty hopeful for my Prankster Mega Masquerain though. Come on Gamefreak let it be Masquerain to be the token Hoenn Bug Mega. Kudasai! :P
One day, a wild Audino used Simple Beam on my Quiver Dance Masquerain.
It was an experience.

I'm still waiting my free Geomancy mega.

On topic, I'll probably take Omega since I didn't play Sapphire, but I really wanted a Seviper... Well, I can just trade one over.

I'm going with Omega because Kyogre is too much of an overused whale in Ubers, and why do people even care about the evil team? They're still the evil team, all you do is kill endless hoardes of their Poochyena.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
100% Alpha for me. Sapphire's been my favorite Pokemon game since it came out. Kyogre's been my favorite legendary since the same time. The image Hiddenfreezer shared is a solid argument why Team Aqua > Team Magma. Here's another really comprehensive one I've seen:

Orignal Source: http://steam--train.tumblr.com/post/97589090495/beanseller-team-aqua-is-still

#TeamAqua
lol, I'm buying AS
These pirates are so funny.
And I love Kyogre.

I actually didn't play Ruby Sapphire back then, I hope it's fun.

I want to get AS, mainly because I think the story makes more sense with Kyogre sealed deep underwater than Groudon. It always seemed weird to me how despite being the Pokemon of the earth, Groudon kept showing up in water-filled settings during the whole epidemic. Team Magma also seems a bit underwhelming with their redesigns.

However, I also want to get OR because I want to get my "pentagon" Latios without having to wait for the version-exclusive-based Latios/Latias distribution (it is highly likely to happen given the Charizard X/Y and Heracross/Pinsir events for X/Y).

Then there are also the version-exclusive mega-stones to take into account. That might actually be the biggest deciding factor for me.

Yeah, OK i mean, a lot of people are getting both. I probably will end up doing that too once we find out some of the new mega stones are exclusive to one version or the other. But I will definitely MAIN Alpha and do all my fluff stuff and file resetting on Omega.

Personally I am going with Alpha Sapphire just because my friend really wants Groudon. Personally I don't really care which version I am getting though because Team Magma and Aqua are about the same and the version exclusive Pokemon are kinda useless aside from Ludicolo, Shiftry and maybe Zangoose.

While Primal Groudon is REALLY making me question this decision, I'm leaning towards Alpha Sapphire. I'd rather fight pirates that want to wrestle killer whales than a bunch of NEERRRRDs anyway.

Team Magma looks like it is taking itself way too seriously to dress that silly. At least Team Aqua seems aware of it's ridiculousness.

(but really I'm just going to base my decision on the pokedex and mega exclusives anyway, like I always do).

I am literally the only one choosing OR over AS.
This is amazing.
I'm also picking OR. Groudon was my bro in ruby, and i'm hoping to be the owner of a primal version. Besides, at least groudon LOOKS pretty scary, Kyogre is a whale, what's it gonna do? sit on me? while I won't use it much for the elite four(i don't use cover legends in the elite four) I'm definitely reserving a spot for it on future teams. Besides, at least Team Magma looks serious. Team Aqua looks like the most ADHD Team ever.

While Primal Groudon is REALLY making me question this decision, I'm leaning towards Alpha Sapphire. I'd rather fight pirates that want to wrestle killer whales than a bunch of NEERRRRDs anyway.

Team Magma looks like it is taking itself way too seriously to dress that silly. At least Team Aqua seems aware of it's ridiculousness.
They're not aware of anything lol. The not-made-by-GameFreak comic =/= the real game, where the evil team has basically the same plot in both games.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Not sure why you're picking specifically from the Hoenn dex when Lopunny, Audino and Slowbro make it clear to me that GF are going to give Megas to whatever the heck they want

Funnily enough, Light Metal will be the better ability for it in the same way Light Metal is Scizor's better ability now - you're going to mega evolve right away so might as well reduce damage from a few minor moves.
... Actually, no wait, clear body preventing intimidate... j-just ignore everything I say I'm dumb
You seem to like playing devil's advocate. Anyway I stuck with the Hoenn Dex to shorten my choices, but you are right that they could choose any Pokemon they want (and as I pointed out they could even change a Pokemon's type to one of these which opens the door even further). Honestly I would stay with my Crobat and Raichu pick, as for my Bug and Ice pick, if I was allowed to choose any, I'd pick Forretress (so there's a Mega Rapid Spinner besides from Blastoise) and Weavile.

*shrugs* I don't think Metagross (or any Pokemon) has to worry about weight moves anyway. Sure Low Kick and Grass Knot has 120 Power against Metagross but not a lot of Pokemon carry Low Kick with constant stronger Fighting-type moves available and Metagross resists Grass Knot. And if anything Light Metal would not help with Heat Crash or Heavy Slam, not that anyone really uses them.

I'm getting AS because I originally had Sapphire as a kid and because of the funny pirates. Until Kurona mentioned it I had never thought of teaming up with them. But 9 Tales is right, you get to interact with Team Aqua way more in Sapphire so it still wins for me. Also I always thought that expanding the sea was more threatening and therefore worth stopping then expanding the land, so Team Aqua always seemed like better bad guys to me anyway
As I said I always never understood Team Aqua's plan. They're doing this for Pokemon in both the original and remake but doing this would kill millions if not billions of other Pokemon, possibly make many extinct since they don't live in water or anywhere near water. I guess that's what they made them much more emotional in the remake to show they're running on pure passion and little logic, but still them claiming they're doing this for Pokemon yet what they're going to do will obvious kill many Pokemon makes them a bit hard to sympathize with. At least Magma sort of admit they know they're going to kill a lot of Pokemon yet hold the belief that humans and Pokemon were never going to get along so chose human development over Pokemon conservation (which is actually something we haven't seen yet, Aqua is sort of a water version of N's vision of Team Plasma). Of course both need to be stopped, Magma seem to forget that even humans need water (okay, to be fair to both they probably expect there to be some of land/water to be left. Team Aqua probably wants a world like One Piece/Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker where the world is an endless ocean but has island civilizations darted throughout and Team Magma is probably find with ponds, lakes, rivers, streams, etc., small bodies of water and not 70% of the planet being covered by the stuff), but overall if I was forced to join one I'd join Team Magma. That said, I think Team Aqua have the move fun.

On topic, I'll probably take Omega since I didn't play Sapphire, but I really wanted a Seviper... Well, I can just trade one over.
Shouldn't be too hard. Catch a Zangoose, put it up on the Global Trade asking for a Seviper around the same level, you'll probably get a Seviper within the hour.

WiFi trading kind of made version exclusives and Pokemon that evolve via trading redundant.

considering that, is there any chance that poochyena/zubat will either be replaced or joined by some xy pokes?
I would say not, but there are other Pokemon that weren't in XY they could include. (And before you start, Kurona, can you show me the screenshot which "proves" they're not adding Pokemon to the Pokedex).

However Poochyena and Zubat will be staying (why would they get rid of Poochyena in a Gen III remake?). Now I WOULD like to see Aqua using more Water-types and Magma using more Fire & Ground-types, even if it is the same handful of Water, Fire, and Ground types at least it'll fit there theme.

They're not aware of anything lol. The not-made-by-GameFreak comic =/= the real game, where the evil team has basically the same plot in both games.
Comic? I'm just talking about my interpretation of the official artwork.

Team Magma is all scowls and frowns and evil eyes, but they are wearing goofy turtlenecks and a horned hoodie from an anime convention. Team Aqua meanwhile is living up their Saturday-morning cartoon villain with challenging grins and wetsuits straight out of a Phoenix Wright case.

They're both stupid and ridiculous (in my opinion), just one team seems to be having more fun with it. I mean, doesn't this:

Just scream "I'm a pimp and l love it check out my bling I got mega stone sucka!"

*Edit: I guess my interpretation of the teams is that Aqua is the self-righteous hippies that brought you "Whale Wars" and that team Magma is some oil company marketing team trying to justify Global Warming to children.

As I said I always never understood Team Aqua's plan. They're doing this for Pokemon in both the original and remake but doing this would kill millions if not billions of other Pokemon, possibly make many extinct since they don't live in water or anywhere near water. I guess that's what they made them much more emotional in the remake to show they're running on pure passion and little logic, but still them claiming they're doing this for Pokemon yet what they're going to do will obvious kill many Pokemon makes them a bit hard to sympathize with. At least Magma sort of admit they know they're going to kill a lot of Pokemon yet hold the belief that humans and Pokemon were never going to get along so chose human development over Pokemon conservation...
I think both teams have a "for the greater good" mentality to them. Recognizing that a lot of sad stuff and sacrifice will have to take place but that the end result (as they imagine it) will be a better thing overall. Team Magma is just pro human and like "let's give people more space at the cost of Pokemon" and Team Aqua is more like "let's take more space away from humans thus benefiting the natural world overall" either way you're taking stuff away from some group and giving it to anther (sacrifice) each team just believes the current balance is wrong so they want to fix it (for the greater good)

BTW, if Kyogre and Groudon can actually change the amount of water on the planets surface it means they have the power to create/destroy matter. Just pointing that out cause like physically "drying up" the ocean just makes it so you have a lot of water in vapor form in the atmosphere, and then it would all rain back down anyways. So the water has to actually be disappearing for Groudon to actually be doing anything. And the reverse idea for Kyogre either it's actually making more water or the planets already about as flooded as it'll be (baring the melting of frozen water which is more like what Groudon would do anyway O.o)

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
BTW, if Kyogre and Groudon can actually change the amount of water on the planets surface it means they have the power to create/destroy matter. Just pointing that out cause like physically "drying up" the ocean just makes it so you have a lot of water in vapor form in the atomsphere, and then it would all rain back down anyways. So the water has to actually be disappearing for Groudon to actually be doing anything. And the reverse idea for Kyogre either it's sctuslly making more water or the planets already about as flooded as it'll be (baring the melting of frozen water which is more like what Groudon would do anyway O.o)
In BW you pulled Pokemon from the Dream World into reality via Munna/Musharna's smoke, so I'm not surprised that Kyogre can create matter and Groudon can destroy it.

BTW, if Kyogre and Groudon can actually change the amount of water on the planets surface it means they have the power to create/destroy matter.
Just a quick science check, destroying matter is possible (likewise creating matter is theoretically possible but untested). The process is called annihilation, and essentially the matter is destroyed and converted to energy. It is theorized that this can be reversed (energy = mass times the speed of light squared after all).

A real life example is anti-matter, like the positron (an anti-electron that annihilates electrons).

Creating/destroying ENERGY is so far impossible.

Otherwise I like your theory a lot. Interesting to think of Kyogre and Groudon as shifting the balance of a limited pool of resources, instead of just "magic dinosaurs create global warming/floods."

The current portrayals of Aqua and Magma seem to just be another level to the central theme of the weather trio, Balance. Namely, Team Magma now seems to represent Order, and Team Aqua seems to represent disorganization, or Chaos. If this really is a prevalent theme within the characters, we could easily see some slight differences in the plots; not enough to really change the base plot line, but enough to give AS some uniqueness from OR.

It seems to me that one of the biggest issue people have had with Ruby and Sapphire was that Aqua and Magma were just carbon copies of each other, and did everything identically, despite the promise of two different teams; the only differences were in the color of the sprites, and whether you wanted to fight a Carvanha or a Numel. Game Freak may have taken this into consideration, considering the obvious effort they're putting into the characters. We do know of one plot deviation already, where we seem to end up having a double battle with Tabitha from Magma and Matt from Aqua, which didn't even happen in Emerald, and suggests that we end up fighting both teams to some extent anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)