XY OU Tailwind Abusing ft. Crawdaunt

Hello guys, I'm Nickoopa and I'm gonna show you guys a team I made lately, it's all about abusing Tailwind with wallbreakers. First of all, yes, I could make it a sticky web offensive team, but I didn't feel like wasting a teamslot for Galvantula/Leavanny/Shuckle

Teambuilding Process

I really wanted to try Crawdaunt, it looks like a solid wallbreaker and sweeper. It has the strongest Knock Off in the game and one of the strongest Aqua Jets, so why not?

When I was looking for a teammate for Crawdaunt, Tornadus-T really looked fine to me, and it could give Crawdaunt the Tailwind support he could want.

As I'm using Tailwind, might as well try another wallbreaker to work with Tornadus, so Mega Heracross looked like a solid option as it can deal with Ferrothorn and Keldeo pretty well.

Another thing to set Tailwind would be interesting, so decided to use Talonflame. A funny thing is that Talonflame's checks and counters are beaten by Heracross and Crawdaunt, so using Talonflame looks really cool for me.

A friend was talking about a lead Skarmory set lately, so I decided to give it a try on my team, as it can get hazards very quickly and maybe stop some opposing hazard setters.

I wanted something to sweep late-game, as most members on this team are prepared to defeat Ghost, Rock and Steel-types, Extreme Speed Dragonite can really do well for the team.

The Team

Crawdaunt (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Superpower
- Aqua Jet

Crawdaunt is great, it has the strongest Knock Off in the game, and this set is pretty standard.
- Knock Off is the move it will most likely spam in matches.
- Crabhammer is the secondary STAB for hitting Ground, Rock, Fighting, Fairy and Dark types harder.
- Superpower is mostly to defeat Ferrothorn.
- Aqua Jet is for priority when I'm facing a scarfer or when tailwind isn't up.

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Eject Button
Ability: Regenerator
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Superpower
- Taunt
- Tailwind

Tornadus-T is where my team gets different. It is used to set up tailwind and stop hazard stacking once Skarmory is down. I felt like it is perfect for the job. It can set Tailwind, switch out with Eject Button, give the next member the maximum turns possible of tailwind while being able to Regenerate it's health and power-up it's main STAB move.
- Acrobatics, as I said it's the STAB move for it, it hits really hard after using the item.
- Superpower is to hit Steel and Rock types that don't really take much damage from Acrobatics.
- Taunt is to stop the opponent from setting up while I try to set my Tailwind.
- Tailwind is used to support the other members of the team.

Heracross (M) @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Bullet Seed

The second hard-hitter on the team, Mega Heracross is just awesome, it has power to break many walls.
- Close Combat is an obvious choice for our STAB move.
- Pin Missile is an obvious choice for our secondary STAB move, covering Psychic-types.
- Rock Blast is to hit Flying-types for more damage
- Bullet Seed is mostly used to hit Azumarill and Rotom-W, not many other reasons.
The EV spread is focused to outspeed Rotom-W when Tailwind isn't up, so I can OHKO it with Bullet Seed.

Talonflame (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Tailwind

I don't think I should say anything for this set, only that it is meant to be my secondary Tailwind supporter and maybe late-game cleaner. These EVs aren't really that great, I'm testing it to see if Talonflame can actually take some hits, and I only use Tailwind when I think Talonflame is going to go down.

Skarmory (F) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 0 SpD
- Brave Bird
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt

Skarmory is the lead of this team. It is able to set up rocks and spikes really quickly, and stop threats such as defensive Landorus-T or Ferrothorn from setting up hazards.
- Brave Bird is my suicide move, as it will faint, Defog and Rapid Spin will be negated.
- The Hazards are really straightfoward and Taunt is for stopping the mentioned threats.

Dragonite (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

I didn't have ideas for the last slot, so I decided to put standard Lum Berry Dragon Dance Dragonite, it is a great set up sweeper, but if you suggest me anything better, I may just replace it.
- Dragon Dance is to boost my Attack and Speed, making sweeps not really hard.
- Dragon Claw is for our STAB move, not using outrage because I don't feel like locking it into a move.
- Earthquake is to hit Steel types harder.
- Extreme Speed will be the most spammed move in the end, as most things that resist that will be already down in the end of the game.

Importable:
Crawdaunt (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Superpower
- Aqua Jet

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Eject Button
Ability: Regenerator
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Superpower
- Taunt
- Tailwind

Heracross (M) @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Bullet Seed

Talonflame (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Skarmory (F) @ Salac Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 0 SpD
- Brave Bird
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt

Dragonite (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

I recommend changing the Skarm set to a bulky suicide lead. Maybe something like
Skarmory @ Mental Herb
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
- Counter(?)
Also Shuckle could work too. The skarm set EVs are weird too

Not sure what Salac is doing on Skarm. I'd trying out the Defensive Skarm set BONGMASTER420 posted above as BirdSpam craps on your offensive core with priority moves that are faster and just as powerful.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet / Shed Shell
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 Spd
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Whirlwind / Defog
Rocky Helmet allows you to deal damage to those physical attackers thinking they can break Skarm while Shed Shell allows you to escape the clutches of Magnezone once. The moveset is pretty standard with the last slot being up to preference. Whirlwind allows you to phaze any potential setup sweeper Skarm can't touch like SD Excadrill and DD MegaTar while Defog allows you to remove hazards which could trouble your team (Talonflame, Torn and Dnite don't exactly love Stealth Rocks).

If you decide to run Whirlwind, I suggest replacing Dragonite with Latias. Latias provides amazing Defog support while being able to hit hard in her own right.

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Defog
- Recover / HP Fire / Healing Wish
Your typical offensive Defogger. Draco and Psyshock / Psychic act as your main STABs who deal a crap ton of damage to anything not named Heatran or Ferrothorn. Defog removes hazards while the last slot is again up to your preference. Recover provides Latias with staying power, HP Fire for the occasional Ferrothorn and Scizor (2HKOing Standard Ferrothorn while OHKOing most offensive Scizor variants) while Healing Wish allows you to revive a sweeper for a clutch late game sweep (I'm pretty sure there's a better spread for a Latias that runs Healing Wish though).

Good luck with your team!

blinkie

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ dank meme crew
Hi there, interesting team idea you have. However making a team like this is a lot harder than just taking Tailwind setters and then slapping on wallbreakers. I think that as GreenMonkey said, your team has a huge electric weakness, meaning bulky mons like Zapdos and even mega Manectric can tank the hits and KO your wallbreakers back. Also you don't have a single special move on your team...leaving you easily walled by a lot of pokes when one of your sweepers go down.
You need a wallbreaker in your last slot, not Dnite although he offers priority and a wincon.
I would suggest Kyu-B in the last slot, as he has the power to just smash everything, and he can afford to run LO with the help of Tailwind.
Also I agree with the above suggestion of defensive Skarm, it really is the only thing saving you from getting 6-0'd by birdspam cores, especially without Dnite.

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
EVs: 56 Atk / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Rash Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Outrage

Kyu-B takes care of a lot of threats for your team and basically nukes everything in tailwind. Rash nature over Mild because you want to tank those Brave birds better. Moveset is pretty self explanatory. If you are scared of getting locked into Outrage and then killing Tailwind turns, you could probably run Dragon Claw, but the power drop is pretty big.

Good luck with your team!

I think Custap berry > Salac berry would work alot better tbh on skarm
Another thing I'd like to mention is your horrible team synergy, so I suggest you to switch out dragonite for possibly garchomp.
I really like the idea and have seen heracross under tailwind a few times already, but crawdaunt is a great one too for the job;)

I think Custap berry > Salac berry would work alot better tbh on skarm
Another thing I'd like to mention is your horrible team synergy, so I suggest you to switch out dragonite for possibly garchomp.
I really like the idea and have seen heracross under tailwind a few times already, but crawdaunt is a great one too for the job;)
Custap is unreleased.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)