RU Player of the Week 1: EonX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Molk
Original (and OP stolen from) in NU by Lord Alphose and xzern

Hello and welcome to Player of the Week. This thread hopes to increase the visibility of prominent RU players to the community and the outside world while promoting both users and the strategies that they find to be effective in the metagame. If there is someone you would like to see interviewed, feel free to drop me a PM.

EonX
Favorite Pokemon: Virizion
Most known for: Moderating the RU forums, being on the RU council, and in his own words, "I guess I'm most known for popularizing Support Cobalion since Stage 3. It's a fantastic Pokemon. Try it if you haven't already"
Favorite Playstyle: Bulky and balanced; he sucks at stall
Most used Pokemon: Cobalion
Leer: What got you into Rarelyused?
EonX: Hm, I guess it started when I got tired of how stale the BW OU metagame was. I've always loved versatility and creativity, so needless to say, BW OU wasn't my thing. When I looked at BW RU, it had a lot of my old favorites in it. Pokemon like Sceptile, Mesprit, Manectric, and Gallade were all some of the biggest threats, and I loved the idea of using them on teams. Of course, I wasn't new to competitive battling and sort of taught myself back in DPP, but I got a tutor nonetheless to help with the learning curve and boy am I glad I did. Omicron taught me so much and really helped me along in my early days of RU. The versatility of the tier in every stage since has kept me around.
Leer: what is your favorite thing about the current metagame?
EonX: The balance it has, no doubt. You've got your top tier threats like Meloetta, Hitmonlee, and Doublade, then there's the underrated threats such as Clawitzer, Mega Abomasnow, and Accelgor, the latter of which I believe to be the best Spikes user in RU right now, but I might be biased with that opinion, and finally, we have some unexplored Pokemon as well. The Gourgeist formes (XL and Small) are two that quickly come to mind as great spinblockers in the current metagame.

Leer: What player do you most look up to? Is there any player you think is a "rising star" of sorts?
EonX I can't pick just one player I look up to. it would have to be two. Molk has always been there to help me no matter how silly of a question I had. He's believed in me since day 1 and I've gotten a lot of my confidence from that belief. The other would be SilentVerse. He was the first great player I faced back when I was learning RU. I nearly won, but hax gods just kicked me in the face. Even with that, being able to go toe-to-toe with one of the best when I first started out gave me the belief that I belonged here. And of course, we always seem to understand where the other is coming from. As for rising stars, I can think of a few. Arikado is definitely one who's come along in XY RU. He wasn't a common face in BW, but since the transition to XY, he's done nothing but impress me in battle and on the forums. Great knowledge + good instincts = amazing potential. The other I don't think can be considered a rising star, but more of a returning star in Pearl. I didn't have the pleasure of battling him in BW as I hear he was really good then before taking a LoA for the rest of the generation. Can't wait to see what made him so good back then and see if that skill has held up.

Leer: If you could make one change to the tier, what would it be?
Leer: besides savior dog

EonX: Other than savior dog, I'd really like to see Milotic back in RU. It was one of my favorite Pokemon back in the beta stages of RU, and I think it could be really good (and balanced!) in today's RU. It'd be much better than Kingdra, that's for sure LOL.

Leer: What Pokemon or gimmick is your "guilty pleasure" of sorts?
EonX: Well, maybe not so much gimmicky, but as I alluded to earlier, I think the Gourgeist formes are largely unexplored because people prefer to use Doublade and Spiritomb but Gourgeist-XL is amazing. I never really find myself using stall much, but I built a team just to see how it works, and I've been pleasantly surprised at how well it, along with Regirock, works. Maybe they're outclassed in most situations, but throw those two on a Stall team, and I promise that you'll be at least satisfied with how they work.

Leer: What popular Pokemon do you think isn't up to the hype?
EonX: Well, aside from the obvious ones, I'd say Omastar is a little overhyped right now. It was really good back in late Stage 2 and early Stage 3, but people have adapted really well to it and it just isn't as effective anymore. As I said earlier, I believe Accelgor to be the best Spikes user in RU right now because it works so brilliantly with Support Cobalion, the latter of which happens to stop Omastar cold thanks to Taunt + Volt Switch. So maybe it is a little bit of bias opinion, but it's not as hard to handle as it was when New Breed first popularized it. Not "bad" per se, but a little overhyped imo.

Leer: Last one, what advice do you have for new RU players?
EonX: DON'T USE CLAYDOL, AMBIPOM, OR HITMONCHAN. THEY ALL SUCK. In all seriousness though, just lurk for a little bit and have one of the more experienced players help you along at first. Taking a team from the sample teams thread, looking in Viability Rankings and Teambuilding threads, and following the NP thread for the latest trends are all good. And you can just follow me on Twitter (@TheEonX) where I talk about RU stuff most of the time lol.

What did you think about this week's interview? And again, if there's a player you want see interviewed, message me on my profile!

Last edited:

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the shoutout dude =).

By the way, outside of the initial interview, i decided to turn these threats into sort of an AMA for the player interviewed if you guys have any additional questions to ask EonX in this player of the week, go ahead! Just make sure your questions questions are on topic etc.

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
Eon is sup3r cool n_n

EonX What do you personally think is the strongest playstyle right now and why? From most people I've heard that the tier is pretty balanced but which style have you seen done well the most consistently? Heck I'd even settle for your favorite one, anything but *o everyting is so viable and stable right now yes, yes come play RU wait for savior dog in decembre then we'll have some real fun haha"

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Eon is sup3r cool n_n

EonX What do you personally think is the strongest playstyle right now and why? From most people I've heard that the tier is pretty balanced but which style have you seen done well the most consistently? Heck I'd even settle for your favorite one, anything but *o everyting is so viable and stable right now yes, yes come play RU wait for savior dog in decembre then we'll have some real fun haha"
Idk about it being the best playstyle, but I do find myself using Hyper Offense a lot in the current metagame. It probably lies with the fact that I love the Accelgor + Cobalion hazard setting core rn and that core obviously works best on HO. That being said, I think balance / bulky offense teams that wield Gligar / Shiftry for Defog work really well against about any playstyle, making them the most consistent imo. Gligar can wall top HO threats, both remove hazards from Stall and HO teams alike, and Shiftry can pressure some of the top mons for Stall teams (Slowking, Mola, Regirock, etc.)

Bro I best get next player of the week, I am RUgged Mountain king after all,,,,,

EonX Why is Heliolisk the best pokemon in RU, and is there ever a reason to not use Heliolisk?

Bro I best get next player of the week, I am RUgged Mountain king after all,,,,,

EonX Why is Heliolisk the best pokemon in RU, and is there ever a reason to not use Heliolisk?
Its gonna go Molk => SV => you => Llamas
Edit: after Llamas its Arikado => Nails

Last edited:

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Not sure why I was picked 1st tbh. Would have thought Molk or SV would have been first.

I personally prefer Jolteon (there is a reason to my name after all lol) but I'm not gonna sit here and deny that Heliolisk isn't good, or even better than Jolteon and Rotom-C in some situations. Great Blade check, has similar power as Jolt / Mowtom and is kinda the middle ground between the two in terms of Speed. It still wishes Jolteon never dropped through. That competition hurts :(

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Its gonna go Molk => SV => you => Llamas
Edit: after Llamas its Arikado => Nails
I'm after Afro Trash, what is my life

;;;;

EonX when you are building a team do you like to focus on building around a specific Pokemon / core or building around a concept / end goal (ie spike stacking offense, or everything has volt turn, etc.)? What Pokemon do you hate to face but can't stand to use (ie it sucks when you use it but it can really annoy your teams, I assume everyone has one of these e_e)? Why do you want Milotic back in RU when it was literally the Hitler of RU?

EonX

Battle Soul
I'm after Afro Trash, what is my life

;;;;

EonX when you are building a team do you like to focus on building around a specific Pokemon / core or building around a concept / end goal (ie spike stacking offense, or everything has volt turn, etc.)? What Pokemon do you hate to face but can't stand to use (ie it sucks when you use it but it can really annoy your teams, I assume everyone has one of these e_e)? Why do you want Milotic back in RU when it was literally the Hitler of RU?
1. It kind of depends on the playstyle. Usually, I build around a concept with HO / spike stacking teams since you generally don't need much defensive synergy with them. However, when I want to build a bulky offense / balance team, I start with a core and work from there. For example, my Balance Claws team started with Life Orb Clawitzer and Assault Vest Druddigon, two offensive Pokemon that could also take some resisted hits when necessary (especially AV Druddigon)

2. Alomomola, easily. The reason I love Virizion so much is the fact it simply dgaf about anything Alomomola does. That said, it's generally found on Stall teams with Amoonguss, the latter of which utterly walls a Virizion that lacks Zen Headbutt (I don't run it cuz Delphox is scary af) so it's still really annoying to face. And if I don't have Virizion on my team, that thing sucks to face. That said, I suck at using Alomomola as I'm generally not a stall player. The only time I have come close to using one successfully was way back in Shuckle meta on a Sticky Web HO team with it having Healing Wish on its set. Otherwise, I suck with using it.

3. Well, part of the reason Milotic was so hard to deal with in RU Beta was because Froslass existed and Sticky Web was still a thing (I guess it kind of still is?) However, Lass and Shuckle are gone while Shiftry has risen to prominence as an offensive Defogger that Milotic can't simply switch in against for a free +2 SpA boost off of Defog (Leaf Storm sucks and +2 Seed Bomb is even worse) While Milotic can be EVed to outspeed Shiftry, it would have to give up a lot of bulk to do so, which was one of the biggest selling points for Milotic as it could retain a solid amount of bulk while still outspeeding Gligar, Golbat, and friends. That, and I've always liked Milotic.

What kind of metagame do you prefer? A fast-paced one? Slow one?

And do you enjoy adding in "wild-cards"? Yknow, like 5th gen's infamous HP Ice Terrakion or Occa Berry Natural Gift Scizor? I suppose Lure is the real name for it..

EonX

Battle Soul
What kind of metagame do you prefer? A fast-paced one? Slow one?

And do you enjoy adding in "wild-cards"? Yknow, like 5th gen's infamous HP Ice Terrakion or Occa Berry Natural Gift Scizor? I suppose Lure is the real name for it..
1. As I dislike using stall, I don't like a slow-paced metagame at all. A decently fast metagame is probably one I prefer the most as I like using bulky offense the most.

2. Maybe not so much lures as just unexplored things in general. That said, I have taken a liking to Calm Mind Cobalion since everyone has started anticipating me to have Support Cobalion whenever they see a Cobalion in my team during Team Preview. Really nice lure for Scarf Lee imo.

EonX

Battle Soul
Advertising your twitter for follows... smh

BW2 RU or XY RU?
Damn it. You saw thRU the RUse >.>

On a more serious level, the choice between BW2 and XY is really difficult. XY has reached a really good state of balance imo, much like BW2. If I had to pick, I'd probably go with XY just because I've been around since day 1, unlike BW2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)