XY Doubles ILLUMINATI FISH CONFIRMED

ILLUMINATIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sup guys. I have a totally awesome RMT consisting of the better Scarf Gardevoir (meaning Scarf Togekiss n_n) and a great but underrated Storm Drainer (meaning the ILLUMINATI FISH) and as proof that this team works, I have this awesome af screenshot to show off. It was a lot better, I had just busted 1650 on the ladder, but do to a deadly combination of hax and disconnection, I dropped about 200 points :P meaning I was about #8 on the ladder at one point with this team.

I also have a few replays to show (the second one I was tired, and if it weren't for one bad play, I would have won against Pwne). These aren't the best games I have to show off about, I also won 3-0 against Shaian with this team (ask him, but I don't have a replay) and I think I completely annihilated some random dooshbag named XA in the doubles room.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-165604532

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-165611674

Well, I should go ahead and start this explanation! Please enjoy!

Landorus-Therian holding Choice Scarf
Intimidate
Superpower
U-turn
Rock Slide
Earthquake
EVs: 144HP, 152+Atk, 212Spe
So....... the most seen and unstoppable Landorus-Therian... we meet again. I sort of lowered his attack stat in exchange for bulk, which is very good in the mirror matchups, which didn't really matter as lots of my leads are Landorus-Therian/Togekiss, so the sheer power is unnecessary. The moves are explanatory, and if you don't know what 212 Speed does, it just barely outspeeds Timid Mega Manectric.

Togekiss holding Choice Scarf
Super Luck
Dazzling Gleam
Heat Wave
Psychic/Psyshock
Aura Sphere
EVs: 28HP, 44Def, 228SpA, 208+Spe
This is a weird set. Normally, you would expect the lead Togekiss to use a Follow Me or set up Tailwind, but this one is special. This speed actually is supposed to outspeed my Landorus-Therian by one point, so that the low ladder Air Balloon Electric types would first get hit by my Dazzling Gleam, then the EQ finishes them off. All of these moves have great coverage, but of course, if you run Super Luck as I did Air Cutter is illegal. That would have been amazing coverage and there would be a lot of critical hits, but Dazzling Gleam still crits as much as I want it to.

Heatran holding Leftovers
Flash Fire
Heat Wave
Substitute
Flash Cannon
Protect
EVs: 252HP, 108Def, 40+SpA, 108SpD
This is just some standard SubTran, and it is a major reason why I lose some battles. I always think that other Heatran are running the same set as me (maybe because I am a huge idiot? idk) and Earth Power just OHKO's my Heatran. If I don't do stupid things like that, I actually end up winning, or Heatran will at least contribute majorly toward a win.

Lumineon holding Sitrus Berry
Storm Drain
Scald
Ice Beam
Tailwind
Charm
EVs: 252HP, 4SpA, 252+SpD
ILLUMINATI FISH!!!!!!!!! This is a set that is pretty much a Storm Drain Suicune with Charm. I just love Storm Drain, so I used it over Suicune, and I also wanted to screw over Kang and Mawile with the inevitable Charm. Scald and Ice Beam are really just there for coverage.

Ferrothorn holding Rocky Helmet
Iron Barbs
Thunder Wave
Knock Off
Leech Seed
Protect
EVs: 252HP, 4Atk, 252+Def
Ferrothorn is obvious. Knock Off gets rid of a possible Choice Scarf on Lando-T or an Eviolite on Porygon2/Dusclops, Thunder Wave just annoys the crap out of Kang, and Leech Seed just sucks. Ask any of my opponents, it was a major part of keeping Ferrothorn alive which pretty much just kept spamming Thunder Wave.

Mawile holding (well, you know)
Intimidate --> Huge Power
Thunder Punch
Iron Head
Play Rough
Protect
EVs: 252HP, 72Atk, 4Def, 160+SpD, 20Spe
Yeah I kind of look like an idiot for using Ray Rizzo's spread (since level 100 EVs work different from level 50 EVs). I was just really bored and tired, so I didn't want to spend time making a spread. ANYWAYS, you are probably wondering why I have Thunder Punch over Sucker Punch. At first it was Thunder Fang (LET ME EXPLAIN, I SORT OF DON'T SCROLL THROUGH THE TEAMBUILDER, I KNOW WHAT I WANT BEFORE WASTING TIME LOOKING THROUGH, I DIDN'T KNOW IT GOT THUNDER PUNCH), but then I realized that it got Thunder Punch. I had Thunder Fang on there originally because I was afraid that after losing Lumineon, Gyarados would potentially wreck my entire team, and I also used it since Rain is becoming more and more powerful. The rest is explanatory though.

LEADS, STARTING WITH LANDORUS-THERIAN AND TOGEKISS
+

So this is a bit standard. If you are low ladder then this is probably the way to go against weird things like Mono-Electric teams, as Togekiss was purposefully just barely faster than Landorus-Therian so that it can use Dazzling Gleam to get rid of the Air Balloon, then Landorus-Therian can Earthquake it. It is also a great lead in general, as most higher ladder players expect something like Follow Me from Togekiss, but a good strong Choice Scarf Dazzling Gleam definitely hits hard and with a major surprise. Landorus-Therian also has a variety of options when leading this, as it can U-turn out to something like Mawile if they lead Mega Kangaskhan in order to rack up Intimidates, or it can just switch right over to Mawile if you want to play it a bit safer. Likely counterleads against this team do include Scarf Politoed or Ludicolo, as Ice Beam hits both Landorus-Therian and Togekiss with a tremendous amount of power. You should also take caution when they may have a potential Wide Guard user, as getting the information that they have Wide Guard wastes an entire turn for you, so if they lead something like Hitmontop it may be best to switch Landorus-Therian out for Mawile to get up another Intimidate onto Hitmontop, or you could switch in Heatran to get rid of an Amoonguss they may have out and save Landorus-Therian from any Ice Beams directed towards it.
NEXT UP, HEATRAN AND LANDORUS-THERIAN
+

This is exactly what you should lead against rain. Taunt them with Heatran and Landorus-Therian, then switch either out for Lumineon. They will be surprised that Lumineon has Storm Drain, more than likely, and that double Scald really powers up Lumineon in general. You do have to be careful switching it in, as Ludicolo normally carries Giga Drain (if they have a Ludicolo, of course) but most of the time you will switch out Heatran in order to do so. Landorus-Therian also has Rock Slide to damage common rain Pokemon, such as Thundurus-Therian, which do often carry Hidden Power Ice (Landorus-Therian has to take a critical hit from Thundurus-Therian to die I think as long as it is not Choice Specs) and it really just does a lot of damage to rain teams that don't lead rain. Ferrothorn is also another great option to switch in if you really insist on doing a double switch, as it resists Grass, Electric, and Water and is only weak to Thundurus-Therian's Focus Blasts, so you do need to be preservative of Ferrothorn as it is the ultimate anti-rain Pokemon at the time.
FINALLY, LANDORUS-THERIAN AND MEGA MAWILE

+

So this is your anti-Sand lead. Landorus-Therian hits lots of things common in sand that Mawile can't, and, of course, if they do intend on leading something weak to Earthquake Mawile may end up switching out for Togekiss. Mawile can hit hard against Tyranitar in its way with Iron Head or Play Rough, Excadrill is weak to Superpower, but opposing Landorus-Therian are a problem, despite the double Intimidate. The likely play I do against opposing Landorus-Therian is switching out Mawile to something worth having against it (NOT HEATRAN), then U-turn Landorus-Therian out to send Mawile back out, but if the opposing Landorus-Therian has not gone yet, I send out something else to take any possible Earthquakes. THIS LEAD SHOULD NEVER BE USED AGAINST A TEAM WITH A DEFIANT USER.

That should cover the main leads that I use, and I really hope you guys like the team.

Quick Note: Some people in the Doubles room really need to open up to new things. Lumineon is something that really has worked for me, and has gotten me into a really good position on the ladder. If you only use things that are like A Rank or higher, other people know exactly what you are going to do with your team, and by just going with the norm you end up eventually knowing nothing about any Pokemon that you confront that isn't the most used/appreciated, and you can lose eventually to one of those things, like I know one of you lost to a Stoutland.
Not trying to say anything bad about you guys, just trying to give advice ;)

Last edited:
why

also i'm gonna do a rate i guess

n-nice fish, bby

Recommending Earth Power over Flash Cannon on Tran. Ferrothorn and Mawile especially do great, and much better, jobs at dismantling Rock and Fairy types. Examples such as T-tar, Terrakion, M-Garde and Sylveon are handled already, so Flash Cannon is pretty much redundant imo. Earth Power let's you stand a chance against opposing Heatran, who would otherwise trample over your Steel Types, so it has more utility on your team. Earth Power also let's you beat Wide Guard Aegislash much easier than banking on Ferrothorn hitting it, as it walls most of your team.
If the EVs on your Tran are just complete bullshit, just use the ones on the analysis. If you're scared of losing to opposing Tran, use either Shuca or speed creep with a 100 Speed EVs. Leftovers is still fine though.

Your whole team's buttfuckingly weak to Rotom-W btw. As such, you should use Lum Berry on Ferrothorn, with 252 HP and 176 Atk, Adamant. Also Power Whip over Knock Off. This let's you OHKO Rotoms through burn all the time, and have a more powerful STAB at your disposal. The rest of the EVs go somewhere in one of the defenses, but I'm too lazy to check as I'm on my phone.

On Togekiss, use Air Slash over Heat Wave. If you're gonna go sanic with Togekiss, might as well abuse those 60% flinches. Not like you would stay in on Scizor, Escavalier and Ferrothorn, since Heat Wave can't even OHKO, and you'll be taking heavy damage in the exchange. Heatran provides great Fire coverage already too. Frankly, I know you won't change this Mon to something else anyway, so I won't bother.

But seriously, why use Lumineon when you still get style points with Suicune?

???

Power Whip on Ferrothorn let's you handle Rain better so just get Sucker Punch on Mawile. Tbh, Gyarados is paralysed, walled and whittled down by Ferrothorn, so why even bother. Not like Thunder Punch is helping a lot against rain; it's only Politoed that's being hit, and Sucker Punch performs better against a Ludicolo or Thundurus-T.

Hope you get the strength to ladder more, I'll laugh if you 1# or something with this team.

why

also i'm gonna do a rate i guess

n-nice fish, bby

Recommending Earth Power over Flash Cannon on Tran. Ferrothorn and Mawile especially do great, and much better, jobs at dismantling Rock and Fairy types. Examples such as T-tar, Terrakion, M-Garde and Sylveon are handled already, so Flash Cannon is pretty much redundant imo. Earth Power let's you stand a chance against opposing Heatran, who would otherwise trample over your Steel Types, so it has more utility on your team. Earth Power also let's you beat Wide Guard Aegislash much easier than banking on Ferrothorn hitting it, as it walls most of your team.
If the EVs on your Tran are just complete bullshit, just use the ones on the analysis. If you're scared of losing to opposing Tran, use either Shuca or speed creep with a 100 Speed EVs. Leftovers is still fine though.

Your whole team's buttfuckingly weak to Rotom-W btw. As such, you should use Lum Berry on Ferrothorn, with 252 HP and 176 Atk, Adamant. Also Power Whip over Knock Off. This let's you OHKO Rotoms through burn all the time, and have a more powerful STAB at your disposal. The rest of the EVs go somewhere in one of the defenses, but I'm too lazy to check as I'm on my phone.

On Togekiss, use Air Slash over Heat Wave. If you're gonna go sanic with Togekiss, might as well abuse those 60% flinches. Not like you would stay in on Scizor, Escavalier and Ferrothorn, since Heat Wave can't even OHKO, and you'll be taking heavy damage in the exchange. Heatran provides great Fire coverage already too. Frankly, I know you won't change this Mon to something else anyway, so I won't bother.

But seriously, why use Lumineon when you still get style points with Suicune?

???

Power Whip on Ferrothorn let's you handle Rain better so just get Sucker Punch on Mawile. Tbh, Gyarados is paralysed, walled and whittled down by Ferrothorn, so why even bother. Not like Thunder Punch is helping a lot against rain; it's only Politoed that's being hit, and Sucker Punch performs better against a Ludicolo or Thundurus-T.

Hope you get the strength to ladder more, I'll laugh if you 1# or something with this team.
I am really glad that you are the only person within the first 24 hours to actually rate the RMT properly, and I understand everything that you posted. I will try using Earth Power on Heatran, and Sucker Punch does sound pretty good (I will have to test it against Gyarados now), but I want to keep Knock Off on Ferrothorn. Sure, I do hit some bulky waters harder with Power Whip, but if I get some Porygon2 or Dusclops against me, I would rather be able to get rid of the item, as they are scary enough without the Eviolite to my team. It also hits Cresselia, and just the removal of items in general is an amazing ability to have. Ferrothorn's whole purpose is to provide some intimidation towards rain, switch in to a Fake Out from Kangaskhan, and also screw with the opponent's overall strategy towards what they are doing. Togekiss is actually running Super Luck so the 60% flinches aren't 60% but I do get some critical hits, I might end up trying Serene Grace since it allows Togekiss to actually use Air Cutter.
I honestly don't care about style points either (and I do agree with others, Suicune can easily fit doing a slightly different role), but I really like the idea of Lumineon in general, being a less bulky Storm Drain Suicune while also providing a form of "Intimidate" in having Tailwind+Charm and outspeeding and Scalding Landorus-Therian (which Suicune does anyway), and like what was proven through a battle between Hashtag and I yesterday, when you know anything about a Pokemon (like how predictable Mega Kangaskhan's sets are) you can know exactly what they are going to try and do with it. Shaian him [her?] self actually lost to this team, which really boosted my confidence after that initial test, as I have heard he is a very accomplished player.
Thanks for the rate, I really really will consider what you have said to help this team become better.

qsns

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
VGCPL Champion
okay so regardless of your opinion on extremely small niches, the room of ps has spoken that lumineon is shit. the thing is, while all pokemon have niches,
+GlassGlaceon:if the niche is smaller than pwnemons dingle it isn't worth it tbh

while lumineon might be the only pokemon who gets that combo of moves, may i suggest suicune, the much bulkier and better tailwind setter.

Suicune @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 232 HP / 84 Def / 112 SpA / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
- Tailwind
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Protect / Snarl

this allows for a much bulkier defensive tailwind setter that is also able to provide decent offense (or snarl support), unlike lumineon. charm is nice but this thing probably takes hits twice as good as lumineon anyways :l you probably won't listen to this, but i want a formal forum post on your team.

This team is... interesting. I agree with quickscopenoscope that Lumineon is garbage. I also think that you should change Togekiss to a bulky support variant. You already have a Choice Scarf user on your team and Choice Scarf Toge just isn't that good. If you want to use a Scarf fairy, you should probably be using Gardevoir. Other than that there is nothing wrong with this team that hasn't been mentioned already.

Togekiss @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SpD
Calm Nature
- Follow Me
- Tailwind
- Roost
- Air Slash

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

I second what quickscopenoscope said, wllmagic said and what Splits said (except for the Gardevoir part --') you should follow those as your team would be pretty decent if you did those changes. One other thing that I suggest that would be cool is Tailwind Skymin but idk if you'll like it or not, so good as it is (doing the changes, ofc.)

Suicune>lumineon, no comment about togekiss (innovation that doesn't excite). Sucker punch>thunderpunch (or sub/SD if extra real) on mmawile, your subtran is anything but standard, and should be running at least 76 speed (outspeed min speed rotom) or 200 speed (outspeed adamant sharp). Cool looking team, but definitely fix the things I mentioned.

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sucker Punch > Iron Head, Thunder Punch pick one, Mawile desperately needs the priority.

Gyro Ball > Thunderwave instead of annoying Kang, why not just beat it 1 v 1?

Suicune > Illuminati Fish just so so so so much better.

Also, for the love of w/e god, what are your natures?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)