XY OU Please help me better my OU team

I haven't played OU in a while and I'm pretty rusty. This is a team I threw together and I would appreciate it if you could help me out a little bit. Any input is appreciated.

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

I chose Excadrill because I needed a good spinner. When Pinsir goes mega, then rocks really cripple him. This is the first time I've used him with a scarf, and he can do a lot more with a scarf, because he outspeeds more pokemon. I've found that without a scarf, he dies too quickly, but maybe that's because I never used him correctly.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Roost
- Toxic

Gliscor is one of my favorite pokes (although some hate him with a burning passion). I love his sub toxic set, but this time, I decided to try something new. Knock off and taunt can take care of eviolite holders such as chansey, and this set is much more suited for a physical wall, which is what he is meant to be.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Hyper Voice

She is one if my favorite special walls, and hyper voice can pack a punch when used against the right pokemon. She is meant to support her team with wish and heal bell as well.

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack
- Return
- Earthquake

I've never had a team with this guy on it until I decided to give him a try. I like him a lot, but he needs excadrill's rapid spin to function. He also needs to force a switch to get a swords dance up, and sometimes this is hard to do, which is why I'm questioning whether this is a good set for this team. What do you guys think?

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch

Rotom works pretty well with heatran (I.e., they resist each other's weaknesses), and I chose him because I like him. but I'm not sure I'm getting the ev spread right. What do you guys think?

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Heatran is a great pokemon, and this scarf set works pretty well, although flash cannon leaves much to be desired as a special steel-type attack. Fire blast is the obvious STAB move and earth power is a great coverage move. Hidden power ice is also a decent coverage move, but also leaves much to be desired in terms of base power. What changes could I make to this set?

Please let me know if there are any flaws in my logic. Once again, any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Sorry there are no sprites. It would've made it prettier. I'll add them on my next RMT.

This is also my first RMT. If there are any conventions or rules I'm not following, then please let me know.

Last edited:
On rotom-w, run 44 evs in speed to outspeed jolly belly drum azumarill and burn it. I would change sylveon for latios, as it would give you a way to deal with mega venusaur who completely walls your team. Latios or Latias would also provide you with a water resist, which your team is quite weak to right now. I would also switch gliscor for Tyranitar, and change excadrill to life orb/air balloon with sand rush. T-tar can also give you a nice stealth rock user, and you don't really need 2 scarfers anyway.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt/Surf
- Defog/Roost

Tyranitar @ Leftovers/Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

T-tar becomes an amazing wall in the sand due to the 1.5x Sp. Def multiplier, and ice beam + max def allows you to beat dragonite, landorus-t, gliscor etc. 1v1. Smooth rock is ideal because you have excadrill, but leftovers can also be used.

And finally, this is what I would change excadrill to:

Excadrill @ Life Orb/Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance/Rapid Spin

Thank you for your reply. I knew I had to get rid of one of the scarfs, but I didn't know which one. T-tar and Latios definitely seem interesting. I've never used them before, and I will definitely try it out.

Mega Pinsir is a great pokemon, and I think you made a good choice about using that one. I'd like to suggest running Close Combat over Earthquake since Earthquake was used because of Aeigslash, which is banned now. And you already have an Earthquake user with the sand offense core..
Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack
4 HP Evs are moved to SpD for less Stealth Rock damage, and 0 happiness and Frustration is for opposing Ditto, but you don't have to make this change.
You may want a Stealth Rock user, and the Tyranitar that PandaDuckHybrid suggested looks good. It will complete the Sand Offense core, which is pretty popular.
I think you can already beat Mega Venusaur with your Mega Pinsir, but running more than one check is never bad. Latios is an amazing mon, too. But since you have an Excadrill, running Defog will not be worth it.
Run 0 IVs for the pokemons that don't use physical moves. This is a good idea to reduce confusion and Foul Play damage. Your Sylveon, Rotom-W, and Heatran should do this.
For your Rotom-W, 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe spread is very commonly used one, with Bold nature.
Cleric Sylveon is usually outclassed to Unaware Clefable, but since it's your favorite mon, I am in agony..

Your ScarfTran looks terrifying, since that will lure some Ice-weak threats.

Aegislash is banned? I must have been away for a while.

Anyway, thanks for your input. All your suggestions are good. I will be sure to consider them when improving my team.

P.S. Sylveon isn't my favorite poke. Zoroark is. (Hence the photo)

Here is my current team:

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Roost

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 202 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack
- Return
- Close Combat

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Do you have any other suggestions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)